Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

droll posted:

Have you ever eaten In n Out fries? "Crispy" is not the definition of the default fry they serve.

get them well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

droll posted:

Have you ever eaten In n Out fries? "Crispy" is not the definition of the default fry they serve.

Hey everybody, look at this scrub not asking for double-fried fries when you go to In-n-Out and laugh at them!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

In 'n Out is easily the most overrated fast food in the country. They're cheap, and they just clear passable for how cheap they are, but they are by no means good. Also the fries are explicitly dogshit, because they cut raw potatoes directly into hot oil, which is not how French fries are made. I can't believe how many people belong to the cult of the lovely burger.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kenning posted:

In 'n Out is easily the most overrated fast food in the country. They're cheap, and they just clear passable for how cheap they are, but they are by no means good. Also the fries are explicitly dogshit, because they cut raw potatoes directly into hot oil, which is not how French fries are made. I can't believe how many people belong to the cult of the lovely burger.

It's not great, but it's better and cheaper than McDonalds, BK, and many other fast food burgers.

Edit* Their grilled cheese is also very good, as their buns are top-tier.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The classic Anthony Bourdain youtube clip about in-n-out

https://youtu.be/R4J1seTHAMU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The only reason I don't go there more often is that the wait, for both drive thrus and walk in, can be sizeable. And there are at least 5 within 15 minutes distance.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It's not great, but it's better and cheaper than McDonalds, BK, and many other fast food burgers.

Edit* Their grilled cheese is also very good, as their buns are top-tier.

And don't forget the rest of the hidden menu

https://youtu.be/PEOca0Dcpvk

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rah! posted:

get them well done

still inferior to mcdonalds fries

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a.lo posted:

The Barstow McDonalds is cool

It’s a shadow of its former self.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

The fact that In N' Out pays their workers relatively well while the double double is still a full $2 cheaper than a Big Mac means it's the best burger place in the country

a bloo bloo bloo Five Guys like loving eh $8 for a burger gtfo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a double double is $4.35 while a big mac costs $5.89 like wtf is ronald mcdonald doing over there

$2 fries at in n out while you're dropping $3.75 at mcd holy hell

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kenning posted:

I was responding to this post

which, following a discussion of how the 5 is a nightmare road, seemed to suggest that an HSR route down the 5 was the ideal route, which would bypass essentially the entire Central Valley. This is an argument I've heard by lots of people in the Bay who whine about the route going down the 99 corridor instead.

If that wasn't your argument I apologize for the misunderstanding. I think an HSR route that connects the Bay to L.A. while bypassing the Valley would reinforce structural inequality, but it seems we agree on that point.

I was assuming some knowledge of the actual train route, which famously the first sections being built are in the central valley.

The article on the HSR budget issue starts with drone footage of the structures in Fresno.

The 5 is indeed a nightmare road and the solution is to build a train to make it so I never have to drive it again, and the route is of course already planned and of course includes major population centers.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Hey everybody, look at this scrub not asking for double-fried fries when you go to In-n-Out and laugh at them!

That's why I carefully wrote

droll posted:

BTW they call them 'Well' and they will say this when they repeat your order back to you. Medium-Well, Well-Done etc.

OP thinks that their regular fries can be crispy

sb hermit posted:

it depends

the fries are massively inconsistent

Does anyone else think this? Maybe I'm not a fat enough goon (I'm hella fat, I don't want to search my online credit card record for any fast food purchases), but I have never experienced a regular in n out fry be "crispy" like a properly cooked fresh McDonalds fry.

This is important stuff to get right.

edit:

luminalflux posted:

This is correct, assuming the particular McDonalds cooks them for the correct length of time at the correct temperature and serves them to you fresh. At least In n Out are consistent, McDonalds is a complete crap shoot.

droll fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 1, 2021

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

In n out fries are well known to be some of the worst in the business, I've even had "well done" orders come out sub par for whatever reason

Couldn't remember where they landed on the times rankings but they nailed it imo (dead wrong about rally's/checkers though)
https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-french-fry-rankings-20190212-story.html

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

I can't believe how many people belong to the cult of the lovely burger.

lol :qq:

luminalflux posted:

true but theyre still good that way

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Traditional french fries are made by frying cut potatoes, cooling (starches change as they cool), then frying again.

This is too much labor/too slow for fast food. Ideal frying temperatures are also different for first and second fry, so you ought to have two deep fryers

In-n-Out approximates it by cutting potatoes then frying them once.
Other fast food places approximate it by cutting potatoes, frying them, then freezing (generally at factory). Then at the restaurant they fry them from frozen..

The In-n-Out method produces things that are not very similar to traditional fries, is generally considered worse, and is more labor, but lets them have a 'Fresh, never frozen!' advertising blurb that sounds good. 'Well done' In-n-out fries are just doing the single fry longer, it doesn't produce the same result as fry-cool-fry

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

In-N-Out has my favorite fast food fries, but only for the first five minutes, after which point they quickly cool down and become the worst fast food fries.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Traditional french fries are made by frying cut potatoes, cooling (starches change as they cool), then frying again.

This is too much labor/too slow for fast food. Ideal frying temperatures are also different for first and second fry, so you ought to have two deep fryers

In-n-Out approximates it by cutting potatoes then frying them once.
Other fast food places approximate it by cutting potatoes, frying them, then freezing (generally at factory). Then at the restaurant they fry them from frozen..

The In-n-Out method produces things that are not very similar to traditional fries, is generally considered worse, and is more labor, but lets them have a 'Fresh, never frozen!' advertising blurb that sounds good. 'Well done' In-n-out fries are just doing the single fry longer, it doesn't produce the same result as fry-cool-fry
Pretty sure In n Out double fries, you can watch their station set up for it, as they move the fries from one lower temp frier to another. Do you actually have evidence otherwise? the real reason y'all like McDonalds is that are 'fried' in high fructose corn syrup.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fries are fine. if i'm going to a burger place i mostly care about the quality of the burger and in n out's burgers are great.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

eSporks posted:

the real reason y'all like McDonalds is that are 'fried' in high fructose corn syrup.

That's not true either.

They do add it but they don't fry in it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eSporks posted:

Pretty sure In n Out double fries, you can watch their station set up for it, as they move the fries from one lower temp frier to another. Do you actually have evidence otherwise? the real reason y'all like McDonalds is that are 'fried' in high fructose corn syrup.

I thought they (used to) fry in beef fat

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought they (used to) fry in beef fat

it was a thing that mcdonalds fried the fries in beef tallow for decades but got some really bad blowback for continuing to do that when they expanded into india. now i think they use canola oil with flavoring added

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

droll posted:

Does anyone else think this? Maybe I'm not a fat enough goon (I'm hella fat, I don't want to search my online credit card record for any fast food purchases), but I have never experienced a regular in n out fry be "crispy" like a properly cooked fresh McDonalds fry.

I'm California born and bred and I don't really eat in-n-out more than a few times a year. Maybe you just need to have it a few more times. Maybe try different places... go with friends or family and steal their fries when they're not looking.

The best fries are other people's fries

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

droll posted:

I think it depends how good the central valley's McDonalds are.
Who cares about Fries. It's all about Donuts. The best donuts in the State of California are at Capitol Donut in Fresno, CA. Fight Me.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...!4d-119.7909869

Come in the morning, as the guy who runs the shop just stays until they sell out of donuts; no afternoon baking; his wife takes over in the morning/afternoon and if there's donuts left to sell he mans the shop in the evening. Get the Chocolate Old Fashioned. Chocolate glaze is done just right with a small dose of cinnamon; and baked to perfection. The regular donuts are nice and fluffy. The cinnamon roll donuts, in addition to being nice and fluffy, actually have a good dose of cinnamon because donut shops cheap out on that normally for some reason, but this one doesn't. The cake donuts with sprinkles and glaze are pretty good.

Fresno has a ton of donut shops; they really need to do a battle royale every year.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If I could combine In 'n' Out burgers with McDonald's fries, I'd be a happy person.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Get them fries Animal Style

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Can’t believe people are defending In N Out fries lol. If I wanted to bite into a potato I’d just buy a potato

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Get them fries Animal Style

Yes, I'll have the wet potato pile please.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

In n out fries are well known to be some of the worst in the business, I've even had "well done" orders come out sub par for whatever reason

Couldn't remember where they landed on the times rankings but they nailed it imo (dead wrong about rally's/checkers though)
https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-french-fry-rankings-20190212-story.html

Checkers fries are loving great, I miss them after moving across the country to CA.

The best part of In n Out burgers is that they taste like real food, and are under $5. Almost every other fast food burger has that distinctive extra salty, msg loaded processed foods flavor profile, but In n Out doesn't trigger that same feeling of eating fast food.

The fries are of course awful, a bit less terrible if you get them well done. But I'm fine just getting a burger.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a double double animal style is so loving satisfying i don't give a poo poo how limp the fries are

Kenning posted:

Yes, I'll have the wet potato pile please.

big swipes being taken at canada's national dish

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Fatburger just inexplicably opened a location in the nowhere I live. I guess it’s an LA thing? They’re new to me. What’s the consensus on their worthiness?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's a good burger, but i was raised on in-n-out so i tend not to eat there anyway just out of habit

definitely preferable to the big chains, but in my opinion their big claim to fame is ice cube rapping about them

now that i stop to think about it, i should do a taste test of in-n-out, fatburger, and tommy's and sort out how i feel about the three big la original burger chains

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://twitter.com/RoadSageLA/status/1410428501937688579?s=20

LAPD royally hosed up a fireworks disposal

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

detonating a fireworks stockpile to prevent a fireworks explosion

thank you first responders for your service, what would we do without you

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Good old boys in blue, costing 1.76 billion dollars per year to blow themselves + the citizens up.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kenning posted:

Good old boys in blue, costing 1.76 billion dollars per year to blow themselves + the citizens up.

they're clearly underfunded need more money for better explosives handling equipment and training, for example some more armored vehicles to sit in while they detonate explosives

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The official line is "dunno lol"

https://twitter.com/LAPDHQ/status/1410444336500817921

...buuuuuuuuuuut:

https://twitter.com/dellcam/status/1410470263335051264

"We have no idea what happened but cops on site were screaming about setting them off, and also all this just coincidentally took place in a relatively poor, relatively black neighborhood." :thunk:

I mean, call me a nut, but it's kinda looking like some jackboot motherfuckers decided to detonate five thousand pounds of fireworks to Own Crime™, and over-estimated how well the bomb squad car could actually handle that.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 1, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

fireworks were found on location and subsequently arrived in the Bomb Disposal truck, at which time an officer-involved explosion occured

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Checkers fries are loving great, I miss them after moving across the country to CA.

Go to Rally's; it's the same.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

fireworks were found on location and subsequently arrived in the Bomb Disposal truck, at which time an officer-involved explosion occured

unfortunately all officers' body cameras were destroyed in the explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Evil Robot posted:

Go to Rally's; it's the same.
I knew they were the same, but I hadn't seen any here. Looks more like a socal thing, there's 3 in norcal, and the closest one is inside a walmart. But there's a bunch in LA and SD.