Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1410282834061795331?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At least that explains why they keep electing Joe Manchin.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

graveyard shifts are godawful but they're a good resource for parents who both work and can't (or dont want to) pay for childcare during the day

my dad worked 3rd shift till i was in 4th grade im pretty sure my parents only saw each other on Sundays and federal holidays.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Mirthless posted:

$12/hr before deductions, definitely not rich even in 1980s dollars

Homer's kinda got a lovely job

500 a week in 1989 is 1100 a week in 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

500excf type r posted:

500 a week in 1989 is 1100 a week in 2021

That episode aired in 1996

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Nastier Nate posted:

graveyard shifts are godawful but they're a good resource for parents who both work and can't (or dont want to) pay for childcare during the day

my dad worked 3rd shift till i was in 4th grade im pretty sure my parents only saw each other on Sundays and federal holidays.

real talk I'm trying to convince my wife that this is a better idea than shipping our youngest off to daycare in the fall.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1409935678855696388

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1409936054900117505

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

also finding new and exciting ways to exploit workers in other countries buys us some time

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The Nastier Nate posted:

also finding new and exciting ways to exploit workers in other countries buys us some time

war is just employment of foreigners by other means

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

if you want a vision of the future, imagine alan greenspan typing

the maestro posted:

With notably rare exceptions (2008, for example), the global "invisible hand" has created relatively stable exchange rates, interest rates, prices, and wage rates.
in an FT piece — forever

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

More excitement from the "hygiene is for plebs" wedding, in comments

quote:

OP: My family does like my husband and my grandparents had never met MIL and my mom had only met her once, so they get along ok, except my mom is now talking some poo poo about my MIL for some lake stuff so hopefully that doesn't escalate

sharperview: Ok, so I have to ask: what lake stuff?

OP: MIL can be kind of prissy sometimes, so she protested to the water balloon fight (I got her wet anyway because of the pasta salad) so she has to put on her show of I'm such a lady, I can't jump in the lake. My mom found that pretentious, so MIL got shoved in (by her best friend) has more fun than anyone, so we feel it was just a show. also she was kissing her BF, which I saw nothing wrong with. She wasn't making out or anything, just being affectionate, but my mom got pissed

pnutbuttercups56: Miss, you didn't tell people to dress for the lake. You didn't tell people to dress for water activities. That's not inherently prissy to not want clothes to get wet. Her friend pushed her in the lake so either she changed her mind or got so hot that she just went with the flow.

Why is your mom upset about adults kissing?

Just for my info was this in Eastern Washington? Like Ephrata? You don't have to say the city I'm just wondering if that's the general area.

OP: honestly I think my mom is jealous because MIL could afford to divorce FIL and my mom can't. She gets irrationally mad about a 40 something year old woman shouldn't have a boyfriend.

No, we aren't in Washington

pnutbuttercups56: There's a whole mess going on here.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

skooma512 posted:

Mr Burns is such a great representation of the ruling class. More money than God, completely out of touch, will never die.

Even if Burns did die he would just be replaced by Boourns, who is the same as Burns in every way that matters.

I consider this to be the canon explanation for how Hans Moleman can be seriously injured so often - there are more than one of him.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

The Nastier Nate posted:

As the parent of a toddler I honestly never understood how that's supposed to work. When does the parent working nights actually sleep?

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

indigi posted:

oh for sure but like, American Dad has been running just as long hasn't it? I don't think either of those shows are on the same level as even a Futurama or King of the Hill let alone Simpsons/South Park tier

where tf are his union dues

That's the Bear Patrol Tax.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

real talk I'm trying to convince my wife that this is a better idea than shipping our youngest off to daycare in the fall.

lmao HOW IN THE gently caress IS IT A BETTER IDEA?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Poor baby, how does he manage

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Financially.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

Financially.

Oh yeah well...

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT THE ANSWER WOULD BE!
:goonsay:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
working night shift also significantly reduces your lifespan. so overall it's a win win because you can just reallocate your pension savings.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The childcare situation in the US is loving DIRE right now.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

there's a pandemic going on right now that's going to explode once a bunch of unvaccinated, unmasked children start congregating in schools in the fall

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'll be honest here: I forgot about the pandemic.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Try working zero days and see what happens, see if anything materially changes in the lives of your employees. Then go on Twitter and tell the world how nothing changed for your company and employees. Start that conversation, you loving wank.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The funny thing is that Elon is known, much like a lot of rich people, of being psychotically addicted to work* to the active detriment of their health, family, and life. Anyone with gigawealth has to be utterly broken as a rule to become someone with/mataining gigawealth, in one way or another. Even being born rich just breaks your brain in a really tragic way.

So this is entirely on him and he could infact spend the next 100 years smoking weed and watching anime to no detriment to himself. Aboo hoo hoo, nerd. Welcome to being human.

* "Working" as a CEO dipshit, so it's only really hard on your nostrils and asscheeks

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao, does anyone have that "how CEOs spend their work time" graphic that's 50% working out and eating lunch?

Edit: lmao

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Jul 1, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rich people work their own hours and literally do whatever they want and are beholden to no one and need to perform nothing, so it's easy to say they're always working

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Rich people work their own hours and literally do whatever they want and are beholden to no one and need to perform nothing, so it's easy to say they're always working

Look, buddy. CEOs work 15 hours a week more than the average* full time work hours. That's why they make 230 times what the average worker makes, okay?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shame Boy posted:

PhilippAchtel posted:

Lmao, does anyone have that "how CEOs spend their work time" graphic that's 50% working out and eating lunch?

i need an executive time FROM my executive time!!  :newlol::wotwot:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

while he probably checks his phone email to count as work despite being on a beach holiday, i can almost guarantee his assistants have only had 14 days off

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jel Shaker posted:

while he probably checks his phone email to count as work despite being on a beach holiday, i can almost guarantee his assistants have only had 14 days off

he famously doesnt let his assistants have vacation because thats proof they arent needed

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'll be honest here: I forgot about the pandemic.

weird. I've got two kids under 12 years old so I'm acutely aware of it every waking moment of my life.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

weird. I've got two kids under 12 years old so I'm acutely aware of it every waking moment of my life.

Yeah I was considering it only from the POV of myself as a kid. (There was no pandemic at the time!)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

So, discounting the misc which lists stuff you do on your own time, you have a 35 hour workweek, with 1 hour paid lunches. Sounds pretty cool to me. Alternatively, I'm counting my commute and exercise time as on the clock.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

PhilippAchtel posted:

This never fails to get a laugh out of me. I love that even the Executive Time Use Project runs out of bullshit filler and starts counting lunches, personal appointments and working out. "working alone" is probably also just checking emails on their phone while watching tv.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

This never fails to get a laugh out of me. I love that even the Executive Time Use Project runs out of bullshit filler and starts counting lunches, personal appointments and working out. "working alone" is probably also just checking emails on their phone while watching tv.

The critical feature of this study was that they asked the CEO's assistants to account for their time. If they'd surveyed CEOs hemselves, they all would have said they work 100 hours a week and sleep under the conference tables.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

PostNouveau posted:

The critical feature of this study was that they asked the CEO's assistants to account for their time. If they'd surveyed CEOs hemselves, they all would have said they work 100 hours a week and sleep under the conference tables.

I retract my statement on working alone time then. Clearly that is time spent locked in their office with the lights off to sleep off a hangover.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PhilippAchtel posted:

In my company we have a 'no meeting friday'.
It's pimped as 'to catch up on your mails and such' but in reality its a 3 day weekend for everyone above low management.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

In my company we have a 'no meeting friday'.
It's pimped as 'to catch up on your mails and such' but in reality its a 3 day weekend for everyone above low management.

Yeah it's pretty nice, that's why I'm having a can right now lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PhilippAchtel posted:

this is a 30 hour work week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

V. Illych L. posted:

this is a 30 hour work week

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why he goes to the dry cleaners on company time