Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

It may be worth noting that we don't know what their definition of "early Simpsons" is. When we think of "classic Simpsons" we obviously mean before season 9 or so, but to someone who's a fan of season 30 or whatever, they may consider anything before like season 15 as "classic". They might watch Simpson Safari or Homer getting raped by the panda (season 12) and think THOSE were the classic episodes everybody raves about. For a while in high school / early college I hadn't watched the series for 7-8 years and had forgotten exactly where the "good" seasons ended, and I remember feeling like "it was decent up until around season 10 or 11 I think" - after all, some relatively well-known jokes and memes come from that era. Tomacco and Stupid Sexy Flanders are both season 11. So someone wanting to try out "classic" Simpsons watches some other season 11 episodes like Kill the Alligator and Run or Saddlesore Galactica and wonders where the good poo poo everyone is talking about.

That or the focus on "weird animation" means they only try out the first season or two, where things were really really rough. Particularly in the first season, I could see someone watching No Disgrace Like Home and thinking the "classic" era is all bizarre animation and people being horrible to each other. I had a coworker recently who had never watched the Simpsons, and legit thought that crude animation lasted for like, 5+ seasons.

Yeah that's fair. The garbage seasons started so long ago that even season 20 could be considered "classic". *sideshow bob shudder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, the first season has some really rough animation. But by the end of the production run, they got better. Krusty Gets Busted looks really good. Season 2 is pretty much nailed down for the most part.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm 100% ready to be "kids these days" with that guy saying "I liked the MCU episode, because it reminded me of the MCU, which I have also seen! I enjoy it when things I see are things I have seen already."

But still, a lot of earlier Simpsons references are probably pretty hard to GET if you're 20? Comedy ages faster than any other media, and even the cultural touchstones early Simpsons was making fun of are just, alien and unknown to someone who grew up in a culture that Simpsons directly influenced and created by making fun of what was at the time the normal.

Media goes so FAST these days, with entire genres of ideas living and dying in a year. When I was a kid and the Simpsons referenced a trend or show or a theme I hadn't seen, media was still SLOW enough it was still in the cultural memory pool for me to understand what it was about. Media's so fast now if something isn't contemporary it's forgotten, which isn't like, a value judgement it's just different. I can get people who only consume temporary, ephemeral media to not really be into anything that isn't directly about the exact moment they live in, I guess?

It did help that when Old Simpsons referenced a Thing I didn't know, they still did it where it provided its own context and was also funny on its own two legs.

I watched the MCU parody Spoiler Boy episode and I'll be honest, while it was really loving stupid and I can't recall a single joke from it, I wasn't... bored? Or annoyed? It was serviceable garbage TV? But it dated itself instantly because while Old Simpsons would make references to things, they had a wide pull of time periods, and the references would always be partial. This was like, an entire episode on the cultural moment of people being anxious about the next Marvel movie.

In five years that's going to mean nothing. They could have abstracted it out to fear about having things you're into being spoiled, but they just went full-on "No, this is specificially about this" which is also fine. You can make media that exists only to speak to a specific moment and then be discarded, I guess.

Simpsons exists now on the Twitter scale of time, where it exists to be enjoyed in the moment of its creation and forgotten about instantly when it's over.

But gently caress to say the part you liked about the episode was that "Haha I know of a character called the Hulk who is big, and in this they have a big character also, but he is instead a whale, because whales are large themselves! Haha!"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lotsa things in old Simpsons are lifted verbatim from old movies / shows that I missed completely growing up, but they were a good bit in 1930 and still a good bit in 1995.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, the first season has some really rough animation. But by the end of the production run, they got better. Krusty Gets Busted looks really good. Season 2 is pretty much nailed down for the most part.

I did like early experimental weirdness like in Crepes of Wrath when Bart is travelling through France and passes by scenes from French paintings.

After rewatching some season 9, while I acknowledge good stuff there gonna be considering the golden age to be 2 through 8. Season 2 needs no apologies, Dancin' Homer, Blood Feud, Simpson and Delilah, it's rock solid dammit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "moral degeneracy" thing in the early 90s seemed clearly at the time to be coming from people who had never seen the show, they just knew it had merchandise like Bart saying "underachiever and proud of it"

Merchandise was ridiculously pervasive in those first few years

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As a child watching the Simpsons I got basically none of the references, and I think I liked it better because without any context a lot of them are so surreal and bizarre, and I preferred that to “they are doing this thing that I’ve seen.” When I go back and see some of it as a parody it’s just not as good somehow

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

MST3K has a similar problem with a different cause; the very first episodes that aired on Minnesota public access TV are largely unavailable because the creators own the original tapes and think they're embarrassing and have never released them. Most of them only aired once. That, combined with copyright issues with films they used, mean that most MST3K episodes can never be aired again and the best you can do is find :filez: of them.

This isn't true, or at least not anymore. The only remaining KTMA episodes that haven't been released are genuinely lost and there's only a handful of regular season episodes they can't do anything with because of rights holders - mostly the Godzilla episodes. Shout! Factory has done a good job making the show as available as possible and it still runs in syndication on networks like Comet.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

The "moral degeneracy" thing in the early 90s seemed clearly at the time to be coming from people who had never seen the show, they just knew it had merchandise like Bart saying "underachiever and proud of it"

Merchandise was ridiculously pervasive in those first few years
I was going to say that was 90s panic in general, but it's all the mass panics that have ever existed. Dungeons and Dragons is turning our children into Satanists! Elvis Presley's hips are making our children gently caress! Night Trap is... doing something. That one was mostly making disappointed kids realise that FMV games were poo poo, but there was some sort of panic about it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There were fukkin congressional hearings about Night Trap.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
And ultimately Tipper Gore was right. Bart calling his elders by their first name to complete societal breakdown within like 12 years. Usually you think of a slippery slope as a fallacy, but I'll be damned if this time it wasn't dead on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Before the 20th century (and a little into it), people were convinced reading fiction would rot your brain. For as adaptable as our species is, it oddly never changes.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Das Boo posted:

Before the 20th century (and a little into it), people were convinced reading fiction would rot your brain.

they were right, imho

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My dad forbade us from watching the Simpsons. He thinks the show is stupid and dumb and that he can't understand why anyone would watch it.

Except, every time he watches a classic episode, he starts laughing. And not much makes him laugh.

It's funny.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Imagined posted:

You can't even talk to someone who actively prefers the animation style of zombie simpsons to the hand-drawn years. It's like someone saying Paul McCartney's latest solo album is better than Revolver because it wasn't recorded on an analog 8-track and mixed for mono. Like saying Aladdin (2019) was better than Aladdin (1992) because the former is in HD and has expensive CGI. There's a weird thing with the youths nowadays where they want to evaluate art strictly by criteria that can be measured objectively. Did YouTube spread that? It's a very consumerist point of view.

some what related, there professional animators on youtube that have a choice words about dumb people that use software to make cartoons into 60 fps.

more frames = better in games, therefore cartoons are the same right?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's hard to even convey the credulous moral panic of evangelical Christians to people who were raised outside of it, or in civilized parts of the world. Absolutely no logic to it, it was 100% whatever the church told them to freak out about. Things I remember my church ranting about:

Dungeons & Dragons
The Simpsons
Married With Children
Hip-Hop
Heavy Metal
MTV
Magic: The Gathering
Mortal Kombat
DOOM
Beavis & Butthead
Ren & Stimpy

But with every single one of things there was something else just like it that I was into with no issue, because my parents put no critical thought into any of it, they were just blindly banning whatever the church told them to ban. So D&D was out, but RIFTS was fine. DOOM was out, but Wolfenstein 3D and Alone in the Dark were kosher, etc. Fantasy novels were no good, except Lord of the Rings was fine (don't tell me it's because Tolkien was a Christian -- they didn't know that, and wouldn't have thought a Catholic was a Christian anyway).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

some what related, there professional animators on youtube that have a choice words about dumb people that use software to make cartoons into 60 fps.

more frames = better in games, therefore cartoons are the same right?

Do you have any choice videos to share?

I have seen a few of those, and they are all pretty terrible. It's also great because there's a ton of errors that crop up because when you're expanding from 12 frames or so to 60, weird things can happen.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Do you have any choice videos to share?

I have seen a few of those, and they are all pretty terrible. It's also great because there's a ton of errors that crop up because when you're expanding from 12 frames or so to 60, weird things can happen.

Very popular with action anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYYXfLdpuds

Absolutely disgusting

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I was in junior high when the Simpsons series debuted and I remember at least one teacher getting upset over a student wearing the t-shirt with Bart saying "Underachiever and proud of it, man!" We all got a lecture on how that was a terrible attitude to have and how you should always strive to achieve, etc. Oh, yeah, there was some real intellectually moral objection out there.

I also had a French teacher who used Bart Simpson as the model for any bad behavior. "Qui a cassé la fenêtre? Bart Simpson a cassé la fenêtre avec son base-ball."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was friends with a very religious family and they were willing to give The Simpsons a chance but were absolutely appalled at Bart saying “we payed for this stuff ourselves so thanks for nothing” during grace. They weren’t allowed to watch after that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

On a related note, I keep seeing episodes of Family Guy on mute when I'm at the gym. Having no audio really highlights how awful the animation is. The character that is talking moves their hands around and blinks, but is otherwise completely motionless. Every character that isn't talking is completely motionless.

My theory about Family Guy is that when they got their second chance they specifically agreed to spend less per episode than The Simpsons.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

High framerate animation would probably look cool if somebody could actually afford to actually make it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think if 60 FPS animation had any worth, Richard Williams would've used it in The Thief and the Cobbler. That was a 40 year passion project by a master.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

High framerate animation would probably look cool if somebody could actually afford to actually make it.

Yeah a lot of the criticism of high framerate animation is that the AI-generated versions look bad and that it fucks with the carefully-planned timing. Yes those are both true, but a) high-framerate animation wouldn't have those AI fuckups if done properly and b) the timing would have to be designed around the high-framerate. Obviously making a 60 FPS animation is a fuckton of work and money so I'm not surprised nobody wants to do it, but I'm shocked to see so much pushback from animators that it would be terrible. Honestly I'm surprised I saw such high pushback from filmmakers / moviebuffs too, saying it looks "wrong" or sped up or whatever. I suspect that's just not being used to seeing it?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was friends with a very religious family and they were willing to give The Simpsons a chance but were absolutely appalled at Bart saying “we payed for this stuff ourselves so thanks for nothing” during grace. They weren’t allowed to watch after that.

We stopped watching as a family after Homer repeatedly fell in the canyon although I was allowed to still watch. A friend had it taken away after his mom saw Homer digging around the kiddie pool for a hot dog.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

multijoe posted:

Very popular with action anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYYXfLdpuds

Absolutely disgusting

Goddamn, everything about Jiren is so loving boring, and he's not even a real antagonist. He's just a dude, who's strong, who's become so strong without ever really getting the point of teamwork, until he's beaten by Goku, Vegeta, Frieza and 17 using teamwork.

And he looks like the Binding of Isaac character, but all swole.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah that's fair. The garbage seasons started so long ago that even season 20 could be considered "classic". *sideshow bob shudder*

I wonder if anyone has decide to check out "those classic Simpsons episodes I hear people raving about" and fired up The Italian Bob.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Goddamn, everything about Jiren is so loving boring, and he's not even a real antagonist. He's just a dude, who's strong, who's become so strong without ever really getting the point of teamwork, until he's beaten by Goku, Vegeta, Frieza and 17 using teamwork.

And he looks like the Binding of Isaac character, but all swole.

He fights real, real good though so still a top 50% DBZ villain

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Howard Beale posted:

I also had a French teacher who used Bart Simpson as the model for any bad behavior. "Qui a cassé la fenêtre? Bart Simpson a cassé la fenêtre avec son base-ball."

I absolutely adore this.

Teacher: <<Qui a détruit une chaise contre le dos de son père?>>

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol
Imagine having parents that are such bitches that they're offended by TV and imagine actually respecting them after that and not purposely watching things they don't approve of to prove your dominance over them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We stopped watching as a family after Homer repeatedly fell in the canyon although I was allowed to still watch. A friend had it taken away after his mom saw Homer digging around the kiddie pool for a hot dog.

Wait... really?? This seems like a joke but then again I know of plenty of 90's parents who got offended by the most mundane stuff on TV. Now I'm laughing at the idea of Homer in the kiddie pool being someone's breaking point.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lol
Imagine having parents that are such bitches that they're offended by TV and imagine actually respecting them after that and not purposely watching things they don't approve of to prove your dominance over them.

That's what I did :smuggo:

Can't tell me to change the channel if you're in bed and I'm not. Checkmate mom

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
All the kids in the neighborhood would come over to watch Beavis and Butthead because my mom thought it was hilarious and would watch it too. Once she got over Bart being a bad influence, she was a huge Simpsons fan.

Much later she was the one who discovered Venture Bros and got me watching it. Lady had good taste in cartoons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder if literally any kid thought of Bart as a model to emulate

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I think if 60 FPS animation had any worth, Richard Williams would've used it in The Thief and the Cobbler. That was a 40 year passion project by a master.

60 fps became a meme with video games, doubt the idea would have even occured to Williams or anyone else that long ago.

Anyways, I think animation is a much better vehicle for testing higher framerates than live action. The Soap Opera effect that occurs with the latter is, imo, an artifact of how cameras operate, how they differ from the human eye. Animation is an already unreal space with no physical camera and can pull off things live action simply can't.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I tried this with an iphone, since those allow 24, 30, and 60 fps. What I noticed with 60 is that you become a lot more aware of the physical camera. Every movement gets captured, and the footage felt disorienting because of it. 24 and 30 were really a horse a piece.

Even James Cameron is not a huge fan of HFR video outside of action sequences. He felt that scenes where people are talking just look really artificial.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mantis42 posted:

60 fps became a meme with video games, doubt the idea would have even occured to Williams or anyone else that long ago.

I know, but we're also talking about the dude who animated on 1s even when it wasn't necessary. I figure if anyone would cram in more drawings to make it look better, it would've been Williams.

A friend of mine got really pissed working at Disney because he was hired by the showrunner to animate fluid scenes on 3s and 4s, but his Disney-trained superiors would come in behind him and note that they needed in-betweens. Disney never wants you animating on more than 2s. So of course, this hosed up his animations and killed the weight. It's more about your spacing and timing than how many drawings you have.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
48 and 60 fps video also is way more clear during movement, when our real eyesight is blurred if we turn our head at even a moderate speed. 24 and 30 FPS video mimics this, but with 48 and 60 FPS video you see clearly even as the camera moves around quickly. I think a good rule of thumb is: if the content is something where it's okay to be aware of the camera and/or that someone is controlling what you see, higher framerates are fine. Example: documentaries, sports, content on YouTube capturing real life, and of course, video games. For any content where you want the viewer to not be conscious of the camera (aside from camera shots that call attention to it), 24 or 30 FPS should be used.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lol

My siblings and I used to watch Captain Planet almost every day.

One day my mom's best friend came over and said "you let your kids watch that? I don't let my kids watch that." And we were immediately banned from watching it. I didn't care too much, because I'd already seen every episode multiple times.

I no longer speak to my mother. (For many reasons, not just the parenting-by-peer-pressure.)

We were also banned from watching the Simpsons when it premiered. I just programmed the VCR and then watched the tapes at a friend's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My parents never banned anything because they're not losers.