Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gaius Marius posted:

There's not a single gundam series that wouldn't be improved by the addition of more dune buggies

“There’s nothing left, sir, a pile of hamburger.”

*Sweet dune buggie jump over the smoking Zaku wreckage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/boyfriem/status/1409529150633922561?s=19

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve been going through Zeta again and Axis just showed up. I’m surprised that there isn’t some manga that goes over Mineva growing from a child puppet to a proponent of peace or how she went from being stolen away sometime during Zeta to being back with the Sleeves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What happened to her mother, again? It's weird but kind of sweet how Dozle's branch of the Zabi family was the most stable and caring. Even though I don't doubt that Char would have gunned down Dozle without a second thought given the chance the two did seem to have a respect for one another during their few interactions. It does make sense that Mineva would be the one to grow up with some actual empathy given how Dozle tried and mostly succeeded in separating his family life from his military career to be a caring father.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think she got too sad about Dozle’s death and died.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I think she got too sad about Dozle’s death and died.

Yeah, it's a thing in Char's Deleted Affair, I think. (Which also has Dozel having a mistress, despite the circumstances being as far from conductive to having a mistress as you get.)

Unfortunately for getting a decent explanation (not that dying of sadness is something that's likely to be written well), it's a thing in CDA, which is, from what I've seen of it, terrible.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 30, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anime mom illness

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

anime mom illness

Amuro's mom wasn't terrified her boy was a killer. She really was nervous because her son was a protagonist.

Getting as much distance as possible was a survival strategy.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

chiasaur11 posted:

Amuro's mom wasn't terrified her boy was a killer. She really was nervous because her son was a protagonist.

Getting as much distance as possible was a survival strategy.

is that why she begged him not to leave

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Well yeah best case scenario was if he stopped being a protagonist or if his story suddenly shifted into a slice of life thing

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

ninjewtsu posted:

Well yeah best case scenario was if he stopped being a protagonist or if his story suddenly shifted into a slice of life thing

Have to be the latter. If it was the former, there'd still be the ever present risk of her dying to force him to become the protagonist again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, Hathaway just dropped and I just sat down and watched it. It's good as hell, and I already can't wait for more.

Kenneth is such an insanely greasy piece of poo poo though holy gently caress.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

I’ve been going through Zeta again and Axis just showed up. I’m surprised that there isn’t some manga that goes over Mineva growing from a child puppet to a proponent of peace or how she went from being stolen away sometime during Zeta to being back with the Sleeves.

I never got the impression she was stolen away during Zeta. I know Bright muses during the finale that Mineva was replaced during the Gryps Conflict, but personally I imagine that it's more likely that Haman left the real Mineva on Earth when they go to Dakar to meet with the Federation's leaders. She needed the real Mineva up to that point to establish herself as a power behind the power, but once she had dealt with the Federation and gained legitimacy for her faction as leaders of Side 3 she had no more use for Mineva. At which point I think it makes sense that she'd arrange something she thinks is good for Mineva. Haman might have used Mineva throughout Zeta and ZZ but she did appear to have some genuine emotional ties to Mineva in Zeta. She might still have been fairly cold about it, but there was some indication of feeling there regardless. So it makes sense to me that Haman would do something good for Mineva in return for using her, and fostered her off with a family she trusted or something.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it's a thing in Char's Deleted Affair, I think. (Which also has Dozel having a mistress, despite the circumstances being as far from conductive to having a mistress as you get.)

Unfortunately for getting a decent explanation (not that dying of sadness is something that's likely to be written well), it's a thing in CDA, which is, from what I've seen of it, terrible.

I haven't read much of Char's Deleted Affair, because everything about it sounds odious but I don't think Dozle having a mistress is a decent thing either. Dozle being a good person to his family and men was about his only redeeming trait in the original show, if not his only real defining feature in general, so having him cheat on his family in a side story seems like it's just pissing on that for no reason. I'm pretty sure the idea predates Char's Deleted Affair and I think Tomino may even have run with it in some work or other, but it's a bad idea either way in my opinion just because it tarnishes the one thing the audience is expected to know and empathize with Dozle about in the original show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like a lot of Gundam side stories CDA is only good for the new toys it introduces

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Just watched Hathaway. Animation was gorgeous, sound was insanely good.

The attack on the city was mind blowing. I’ve never seen all the small aftereffects of a mobile suit battle and the detritus from it in such detail before. The plasma splashes, the buildings crumbling around them because the suits weight affecting their structural integrity; all of it was wonderfully done.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I do have to praise Bandai for adding the Xi and the Penelope to Extreme VS Maxi Boost ON . this is actually extremely awesome

ugh I can't decide which to try first !

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tanon posted:

Just watched Hathaway. Animation was gorgeous, sound was insanely good.

The attack on the city was mind blowing. I’ve never seen all the small aftereffects of a mobile suit battle and the detritus from it in such detail before. The plasma splashes, the buildings crumbling around them because the suits weight affecting their structural integrity; all of it was wonderfully done.

Agreed 100%. I was legit freaked out, great depiction of this stuff. I don't think we've seen stuff like that before.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How quickly we forget F91

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

F91 was from before I was born

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gaius Marius posted:

How quickly we forget F91

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but it's not like I can't just give it a rewatch. Maybe this weekend since I'm gonna be on a gundam kick anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sad to see there's still posters in the gundam thread who haven't went Beyond the Time

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but it's not like I can't just give it a rewatch. Maybe this weekend since I'm gonna be on a gundam kick anyway.

A mom gets killed by a falling shell casing.

I think Hathaway toned up the stress even more, but F91's opening act was pretty much running from a Mobile Suit fight. It was pretty neat.

Of course, then the plot went into overdrive and everything fell apart, but the opening had its moments.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ah yes, I'm remembering that now. And I also realize why I probably forgot about it, hahahaha.

Anywho, the more I think about it the more likely it is that I'm gonna just fall down the UC rabbit hole all over again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm slowly moving through the main stuff again, starting with Origin. On the third Gundam movie, excited to get into Zeta again. I'm not a huge Zeta fan but I feel like I've finally soaked enough in it tha tI'll appreciate it more now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I watched Hathaway. It was good. Very pretty, though it was pretty hard to figure what was going in the battles, which worked really well for the city battle but less so with the ocean battle at the end. I also still don't really like the look of Penelope and Xi but they're ok in motion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WrightOfWay posted:

I also still don't really like the look of Penelope and Xi but they're ok in motion.

I don't even like the designs in motion personally, so much as a I feel like a lot of the smaller details get lost in the blur of action so that only the larger, imposing bulk and general shape is perceived. One thing I do like though is the Minovsky Flight Systems, with the gold lining of the Penelope flashing as it moves; especially with the sound it makes. I do really like the tail on the Penelope too.

I do wonder though, what exactly made Kenneth realize that Hathaway was Mafty? It's something Gigi says that connects the dots in his head, but it doesn't really make sense as a tipping point to me. The exact choreography of the maneuver Hathaway pulls to fool Lane is a bit unclear to me too. He's backing away from the Penelope as he fires missiles at it, and then disappears before the rifle fires off; which propels the rifle backwards in a quick arc before it drops into the water when it loses energy. Which distracts Lane, since he thinks it's the Xi moving away and doesn't realize it's just the rifle. Does that mean Hathaway ducked the Xi underwater as Lane dealt with missiles? Can the Xi and/or Penelope move underwater just as easily as they do in air with the Minovsky Flight units?

Also, a bit of a novel spoilery question for future works, that someone might know. When Kenneth is questioning Gawman he says that someone must be pulling Mafty's strings. Is Quack Salver, a Federation officer who works with Mafty, the one who is manipulating him as Kenneth suspects?

I like the videos that play on the backs of the seats in the taxi Hathaway takes too, with little ads about how the environmental cleanup is progressing, but people should still move to space and poo poo. It's a neat way to fit in a little bit of worldbuilding. It does make me sad that there is no direct follow up to the story though, and the cause of people pushing the Federation to leave the Earth entirely that started with AEUG is pretty much forgotten after this despite the story's conclusion with Kenneth deciding to take up Mafty's cause after executing him. I kind of wonder/hope Sunrise gets someone to make a sequel at some point after this. It wouldn't have a story to follow off of so the writer would have to construct one from scratch, but it'd still be neat.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
You know what I realized I really like about Hathaway? No new types outside of a civilian. And even Gigi doesn't seem like much of one in the traditional vein and Hathaway's visions felt more like memories than new type stuff
E: actually let me expand on this. I like it mostly because it finally feels like more if the use of what Tomino thought new types would be, less war machines and more perceptive people.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 2, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
An argument against the commodification and wraponization of newtypes would be a compelling premise for a story.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Welp, just got to the bit of IBO where Raise Your Flag swaps off. At least Survivor has a great guitar riff.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

You know what I realized I really like about Hathaway? No new types outside of a civilian. And even Gigi doesn't seem like much of one in the traditional vein and Hathaway's visions felt more like memories than new type stuff
E: actually let me expand on this. I like it mostly because it finally feels like more if the use of what Tomino thought new types would be, less war machines and more perceptive people.

Naw fam I was gonna type something up about it at some point but the Scene with Hathaway and Gigi where she becomes Quess for a second is the single best representation of the newtype experience

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw fam I was gonna type something up about it at some point but the Scene with Hathaway and Gigi where she becomes Quess for a second is the single best representation of the newtype experience

I mean I agree it's just that is better to see than new types being some super soldiers or flying around in colorful backgrounds. I much prefer the kind of showing of Hathaway briefly seeing quess than they've done previously in the universe .

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

tsob posted:

I don't even like the designs in motion personally, so much as a I feel like a lot of the smaller details get lost in the blur of action so that only the larger, imposing bulk and general shape is perceived. One thing I do like though is the Minovsky Flight Systems, with the gold lining of the Penelope flashing as it moves; especially with the sound it makes. I do really like the tail on the Penelope too.

I do wonder though, what exactly made Kenneth realize that Hathaway was Mafty? It's something Gigi says that connects the dots in his head, but it doesn't really make sense as a tipping point to me. The exact choreography of the maneuver Hathaway pulls to fool Lane is a bit unclear to me too. He's backing away from the Penelope as he fires missiles at it, and then disappears before the rifle fires off; which propels the rifle backwards in a quick arc before it drops into the water when it loses energy. Which distracts Lane, since he thinks it's the Xi moving away and doesn't realize it's just the rifle. Does that mean Hathaway ducked the Xi underwater as Lane dealt with missiles? Can the Xi and/or Penelope move underwater just as easily as they do in air with the Minovsky Flight units?

Also, a bit of a novel spoilery question for future works, that someone might know. When Kenneth is questioning Gawman he says that someone must be pulling Mafty's strings. Is Quack Salver, a Federation officer who works with Mafty, the one who is manipulating him as Kenneth suspects?

I like the videos that play on the backs of the seats in the taxi Hathaway takes too, with little ads about how the environmental cleanup is progressing, but people should still move to space and poo poo. It's a neat way to fit in a little bit of worldbuilding. It does make me sad that there is no direct follow up to the story though, and the cause of people pushing the Federation to leave the Earth entirely that started with AEUG is pretty much forgotten after this despite the story's conclusion with Kenneth deciding to take up Mafty's cause after executing him. I kind of wonder/hope Sunrise gets someone to make a sequel at some point after this. It wouldn't have a story to follow off of so the writer would have to construct one from scratch, but it'd still be neat.

Regarding the first spoiler: I think it's her mentioning that all he does is try and avoid her that made something click for him.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Hathaway good. Interesting core of characters and well edited. After NT, i was worried about how this would turn out. Animation and direction was impressive, especially the scene where Hathaway and Gigi were fleeing the hotel

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

An argument against the commodification and wraponization of newtypes would be a compelling premise for a story.

I mean, Revil tried to argue against that in The Origin manga.

Which is another reason Revil's death sucked so much for the UC.

Also, Hathaway has Amuro's Newtype Ghost show up to warn him that the reaper won't come when it's convenient. Figure that's a bit of a hint he's not not a Newtype.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Just because I've always been rather confused by it, how the gently caress does someone turn out to be a newtype? Amuro spent his younger childhood on Earth, Hathaway too was mostly on Earth until CCA? So they are newtypes to some extent despite time spent on earth, is it because of their parents time in space? But people born and living in space all their lives aren't neccesarily newtypes. Lalah was a newtype despite being born(?) and living on Earth before Char met her too? Quess too was a daughter of a federation politician and spent time on Earth before CCA too. It's always confused me a bunch how this was supposed to be occuring as some evolution when tons and tons of the new types were not spacenoids.

Anyways, I just preferred in Hathaway that the only real moments of newtype weird were 1. Gigi saying the hijackers were fakes 2. That flash (heh) back to CCA with Quess which actually gutted me a bit despite being rather uninvested in Quess and Hathaway before and 3. Amuro talking about the reaper, all of which frankly feel and are presented less as new type weirdness and more as memories of past traumas Hathaway endured. It feels grounded more than a lot of past newtype stuff which I much prefer to what I remember.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in the wise words of DOME: newtypes aren't real and some people just get psychic powers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Newtypes don't have to live in space(not UC but the Newtype dolphin in X is a good example of this), it just makes it easier to become one

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
usually it is people who lived both in space and on earth. the few exceptions who did one or the other exclusively tended to suck, i think.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Newtypes don't have to live in space(not UC but the Newtype dolphin in X is a good example of this), it just makes it easier to become one

Personally I think taking what X has to say about Newtypes and applying it to UC is folly. It just doesn't work at all thematically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

usually it is people who lived both in space and on earth. the few exceptions who did one or the other exclusively tended to suck, i think.

Didn't Judau only live in space until ZZ? He's like one of the strongest newtypes we see and one of the most reasonable.