Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there any possibility of riding a bike outdoors in the future? A real bike + trainer might be an option worth looking into, especially if you have a bike lying around that you used to be able to ride.

There's also an indoor cycling thread that might be worth skimming for info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933908

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

Gotta wait three months for some copper colored fenders.

The aesthetics are what matters - so I'll wait. While looking for fenders, I came across the Honjo brand, which seems very cool, if super expensive.

If I need to spend $200 on some amazing looking fenders, I'll know where to go. https://www.sim.works/collections/fenders-simworks-by-honjo

They're definitely not just hype. They've lasted way better than other metal fenders have for me.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Captain Log posted:

- Shoes - This is the big question. I'm a size thirteen with a AAA heel. My feet have atrophied a little and are very skinny. But most biking shoes only go up to size twelve. The cleats are coming off the right shoe no matter how much I tighten them. With my foot size and daily indoor use, what's a good shoe? Again, I'm willing to pay for something that will hold up, but it doesn't need to be particularly rugged.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any advice. I've learned to trust goons more than salespeople, so any input is well valued.

I've always found Giro and Fizik shoes to run frustratingly narrow for my stupid frog feet; maybe they'll work for you. Northwave is the only brand I know for sure does narrow sizing.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bicievino posted:

They're definitely not just hype. They've lasted way better than other metal fenders have for me.

I really wanted to buy them, but felt weird getting them to stick on a $500 hybrid. They look incredibly cool as well.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Hello! Bike selection question.

Last year because of Pestilence, the gyms closed, and since the weather was nice, I bought a bike. My wife did, too. They're simple 7-speed hybrids, and they are OK. Mine is a Giant Cypress, and I've put a lot of miles on it. My longest rides have been about 25 miles or maybe a little more; I think my longest ride is 28 miles, and I had a decent break halfway through that one.

I've also learned what I like to do on a bike, at least at this point:
  • I have no desire to go off road, and there aren't any trails nearby even if I wanted to
  • I don't plan on cycling on the open road unless it's for a short distance connecting two bike trails
  • 90% of the bike trails in my area (and there are a lot) are paved and in good to fair repair; 10% are gravel areas that are decent for gravel and connect paved stretches.
  • A lot of my riding is along the Mississippi River, and most of that is mostly flat.
  • The city I live in is hilariously hilly, to the point where parts of it can't be developed. We're talking 50% grades that go for one to several blocks. Climbing gears are important for in-town rides, which I also go on.
  • My main goals are recreation and fitness, with some in-town commuting. I don't mind swallowing a bunch of miles, especially when the scenery is as nice as it is, but I consider my rides as much a workout as just a pleasure cruise
  • I exercise my legs a lot, both with weights and on stationary bikes at the gym and at home. (At the gym, I'm a fan of the Hill program on the Lifecycle machines.)

Oh, and I can't justify spending four figures on a bicycle, which kind-of pushes me out of road bike territory. I'm not a fan of drop bars, and I I've been told that I would get used to them, but I'm also 45 and my lower back starts to hurt after a couple of hours of walking around. (I don't get winded or tired; it's just the back pain.) I can't imagine being hunched over too far, but sitting full upright, while not causing me any pain, is getting a little old.

I've been looking at some Giant and Trek models in the "fitness" category, which is like a hybrid but a little more on the road side, with a lighter frame, flatter handlebar (or adjustable), 2- or 3- gears on the crank, etc. I'm not married to those brands; they're just ones I've checked out. On the Trek side, I liked the FX, and Giant had a couple of ones that I liked, Escape and FastRoad. Of course, I need a Medium frame, so there's nothing in stock anywhere.

Is there anything I should be considering?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

I really wanted to buy them, but felt weird getting them to stick on a $500 hybrid. They look incredibly cool as well.

Weird but kinda rad? Similar aesthetic to when folks are carrying a bike more expensive than their car on the rack.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

tarlibone posted:

Trek FX and Giant Escape are pretty much what I'd recommend, except of course you've run into the 'new bikes don't exist in 2021' problem. What are you finding particularly limited about your current bike? If it's just the position and the gearing, you may be able to tweak a few things to make life better while you wait for something newer to find its way back in stock. What are the actual % grades in your area (I know you eyeballed them instead of checking because 50% is almost certainly not a thing)? A bigger cassette may help there, and if you can lower your stem that should help the feeling of being too upright.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

Trek FX and Giant Escape are pretty much what I'd recommend, except of course you've run into the 'new bikes don't exist in 2021' problem. What are you finding particularly limited about your current bike? If it's just the position and the gearing, you may be able to tweak a few things to make life better while you wait for something newer to find its way back in stock. What are the actual % grades in your area (I know you eyeballed them instead of checking because 50% is almost certainly not a thing)? A bigger cassette may help there, and if you can lower your stem that should help the feeling of being too upright.

Positioning isn't ideal for when I'm actually trying to go a little fast. A lot of my riding is on the MCT Trails, a lot of which have long, relatively flat stretches along the river, on top of berms, etc. I've only got seven gears, and I frequently find myself in 7th pretty quickly with nowhere to go if I feel like pushing myself. And because first gear is basically a "granny low" gear, it's really like a 6-speed with a special-use extra low gear.

Other than that, I do like the Cypress; the local bike store pointed me in the right direction, seeing as how I wasn't 100% sure how much I'd enjoy biking outside the gym, what kind of riding I liked the most, etc. The shock-absorber-equipped seatpost smooths everything out nicely, and that granny-low gear makes climbing up those hills in town a lot more doable. I have no problem waiting for something a little better to be in stock at the store; in fact, the salesman who showed me several models (none of which were in my size) suggested that I do just that instead of buy something that fits my height but isn't suited to what I want to do, like a mountain bike.

As for the grades, I don't know if I have a way to easily determine that, but I ride a lot around a town that is built into the bluffs on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. Going from the main drag to the upper part of town requires going uphill on a very steep grade for several blocks. It might not be 50%, but that's not far off in spots, and even driving up those hills isn't fun, especially if you have a manual transmission. There are many parts of town with similar climbs followed by steep declines, but they generally only last a block or two. This makes in-town riding more like weight training than cardio.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I am almost certain they are not close to 50%. You’re likely underestimating how steep a road even 20-25% is.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bicievino posted:

Weird but kinda rad? Similar aesthetic to when folks are carrying a bike more expensive than their car on the rack.

Yeah fair, if I can get the brass ones quicker than the handsome cycles ones I might do it.

I was trying to match the copper rivets on the Brooks saddle.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

I am almost certain they are not close to 50%. You’re likely underestimating how steep a road even 20-25% is.

Maybe. I've never measured them. But these aren't typical hills you find in an average city. There were cliffs (limestone bluffs) where a lot of the old part of this town was eventually built, and as a result, there are inclines where some folks used to use their parking breaks at the stop signs.

A lot of those roads are brick-paved, too, because everything about downtown has to look like it's 200 years old. So fun for riding.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I have the handsome fenders in black, they're decent. Might have sprung for the Honjos except for all their different models, they didn't have a plain black round 45mm version :shrug:

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 3, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think from 15ft, you can't really tell the hammering in black anyways.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Maybe. I've never measured them. But these aren't typical hills you find in an average city. There were cliffs (limestone bluffs) where a lot of the old part of this town was eventually built, and as a result, there are inclines where some folks used to use their parking breaks at the stop signs.

You can probably look it up on Strava to see what the grade numbers are to give people a better idea of what your riding conditions are like. It's not that people are doubting what your roads are like, but 50% is really unlikely and would lead to incorrect recommendations. I "rode" a 40% grade once and it was impossible to ride my touring bike without the front wheel lifting off the road.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

You can probably look it up on Strava to see what the grade numbers are to give people a better idea of what your riding conditions are like. It's not that people are doubting what your roads are like, but 50% is really unlikely and would lead to incorrect recommendations. I "rode" a 40% grade once and it was impossible to ride my touring bike without the front wheel lifting off the road.

No, I get it. But, I don't really know how to get the grades without looking up elevation data and doing math, and... no. I mean I know trig, but no. I looked at Strava, which now really wants me to start paying them, and I didn't see an elevation option on the map. Map My Ride doesn't, either. The point is, a lot of the town isn't good for riding because of steep hills, and it's about the only town I frequent that is as messed up as it is. One block is a flat residential neighborhood. Then for three blocks, you're riding your breaks downhill, dodging deer that are running out of the thick woods on both sides of the road. Then up a steep hill, and you're in a normal residential neighborhood again.

The terrain makes this town weird. Some of it is kinda-doable, but a lot of it isn't unless you're a way better biker bicyclist than I am. That's why I limit my town riding and mostly head out on the paths, which look nice, aren't populated by the state's 4th worst drivers, and don't wear me out after five miles.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
2 teravail ramparts in a row have ripped the bead away from the sidewall for no fuckin reason at sub-1k miles. Done with this tire, Jesus Christ. Had to flag down a farmer to give me a ride out of some dumb rear end canyon in Oregon that had no cell reception

I retract former posts about bikes being good

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

tarlibone posted:

No, I get it. But, I don't really know how to get the grades without looking up elevation data and doing math, and... no. I mean I know trig, but no. I looked at Strava, which now really wants me to start paying them, and I didn't see an elevation option on the map. Map My Ride doesn't, either. The point is, a lot of the town isn't good for riding because of steep hills, and it's about the only town I frequent that is as messed up as it is. One block is a flat residential neighborhood. Then for three blocks, you're riding your breaks downhill, dodging deer that are running out of the thick woods on both sides of the road. Then up a steep hill, and you're in a normal residential neighborhood again.

The terrain makes this town weird. Some of it is kinda-doable, but a lot of it isn't unless you're a way better biker bicyclist than I am. That's why I limit my town riding and mostly head out on the paths, which look nice, aren't populated by the state's 4th worst drivers, and don't wear me out after five miles.

You just use the strava map to look for segments. The gradients are listed there.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

The Giant Cypress is a good bike for people looking for a rugged hybrid with a very upright position but you're already experiencing the limitations of that model and it's offroad cousin, the Sedona. Both are very rugged frames and the adjustable quill stem suspension fork and seatpost and overall heavier built wheels contribute to it being a bit of a lunker, especially on hills

A Giant Escape / Trek FX / Marin Fairfax / Specialized Sirrus etc are exactly what the doctor ordered for your demands.

The only two things to consider are the gearing and riding position.

The hybrids mentioned usually come now with two gears on the crank instead of 3. For most people this is a welcome change but if your hills are as extreme as you say you may want to get different rings for the front so you have a better climbing gear or switch to a 3x front ring because the climbing gear will be a much better climbing gear than on a 2x crank. This change will add about $80 to the cost of the bike if you choose but the shop might let you trade those parts in.

For fit if you want to retain some of but not all of the upright position of your Cypress get a higher angle stem or a Satori Heads-up adapter which will bring you up quite a bit.

The biggest issue will be availability. See what you can find.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

You just use the strava map to look for segments. The gradients are listed there.

RideWithGPS should also let you do it with a free account by just clicking a start and end point, with a handy chart for grade and elevation info.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Time posted:

2 teravail ramparts in a row have ripped the bead away from the sidewall for no fuckin reason at sub-1k miles. Done with this tire, Jesus Christ. Had to flag down a farmer to give me a ride out of some dumb rear end canyon in Oregon that had no cell reception

I retract former posts about bikes being good

Did you document the damage for Teravail? Seems like a big issue for everyone bike packing/touring.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I made it

Everything hurts. Part of that is because I was deliberately hit by a van yesterday. He swerved into me and clipped me with his mirror and I went down, luckily I was on a climb so the speed was low. Very swollen elbow and bruised hip from that, I will get it x rayed tomorrow now I’m finished. Made today very painful but it’s finished now!

kickin rad

aside from the idiot driver

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The only time I ever ride 40% grades is when I do poo poo like intentionally hug the inner radius of Quimby Rd hairpins, and that's over a distance of like 3 meters.

Close to 40% grades over one block? Maaaybe. Close to 50%, very unlikely.

e: Here is a 37% grade in San Francisco. https://www.flickr.com/photos/geekstinkbreath/albums/72157624444886497/

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 3, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

The hybrids mentioned usually come now with two gears on the crank instead of 3. For most people this is a welcome change but if your hills are as extreme as you say you may want to get different rings for the front so you have a better climbing gear or switch to a 3x front ring because the climbing gear will be a much better climbing gear than on a 2x crank. This change will add about $80 to the cost of the bike if you choose but the shop might let you trade those parts in.

For fit if you want to retain some of but not all of the upright position of your Cypress get a higher angle stem or a Satori Heads-up adapter which will bring you up quite a bit.

The biggest issue will be availability. See what you can find.

Yeah, if I were several inches shorter or a few taller, I might have an Escape right now.

Speaking of the Escape specifically, I know that both the disc and rim brake varieties come with either 2 or 3 gears on the crank; I think that's even in the name of some of those and the Trek models. I really like the idea of that third gear on the front, because the sprocket was absolutely tiny. For shits and giggles, I could fire up a preposterous gear for a comedy shot of me pedaling away at 1 mph.

I was able to try the angle on a few bikes that were in my size, though not the models I wanted (like the Roam, which is nice, but not what I'm going for), and it felt pretty comfortable. Some of the Escape models have adjustable angle stem, which would be cool, too.

Coxswain Balls posted:

RideWithGPS should also let you do it with a free account by just clicking a start and end point, with a handy chart for grade and elevation info.

Really? I tried the routes on Strava, and the only ones I saw were along the bottom of the town, which is pretty flat. But, I downloaded RideWithGPS the other day, and I haven't used it yet. I'll have to check it out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there any possibility of riding a bike outdoors in the future? A real bike + trainer might be an option worth looking into, especially if you have a bike lying around that you used to be able to ride.

There's also an indoor cycling thread that might be worth skimming for info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933908

Ahh, didn't know that thread existed. Will poke my head in there.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I've always found Giro and Fizik shoes to run frustratingly narrow for my stupid frog feet; maybe they'll work for you. Northwave is the only brand I know for sure does narrow sizing.

Thanks for the heads up. I hate going into a store with literally no idea where to start looking.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Since you've been doing it for a while already and will be doing it for the foreseeable future giving something like Zwift a try might be up your alley to make things more interesting. I don't know much about dedicated indoor bikes and only a little about direct drive trainers you install your main bike in, but they let you ride with other people online which might add an interesting new dimension to your workouts.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Driver did a runner and my buddy couldn’t catch him, but he flagged people down coming the other way asking if they had a dash cam and one of them offered to chase the van driver down. We got a photo of the plate, couldn’t get through to the police but reported it online and are waiting for a callback.

Id be amazed if police do anything. I've stood in the police station and refused to leave to get them to file a report on a driver who hit me. Never heard anything back.

Also reported someone putting down booby traps on my street for cyclists and had the same "we don't give a crap" response. I think you'd have to actually be killed/seriously injured and police to be called to the scene of the accident for them to even consider doing anything.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Did you document the damage for Teravail? Seems like a big issue for everyone bike packing/touring.

yeah I sent them pics and they literally did not respond so I’m going to blow them up on social media. just spitting sealant everywhere and malformed in the shape of a golf ball where the bead ripped away both times.

I was riding flat, moderately good roads both times and all of a sudden it felt like I was on a full suspension bike the way it would start to flex up and down with heavy pedal strokes. The first time I just thought I was gassed and the road had some hard to spot waves in it, the second time I knew before I even hopped off that there would be a tire that looked like it had a tumor on the sidewall.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I started the day with an involuntary 20 minute break and the realisation that this new route I was riding has one drawback: Lifting bridges are sometimes, um, lifted.

But then I rode through apple fields for hours which was pretty great.

Stopped for coffee and cake

with a view!

And found this spectacular road.

Then back across the Elbe

and onto the couch to watch other people ride bikes.

Bikes are great.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 3, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hemale in pain posted:

Id be amazed if police do anything. I've stood in the police station and refused to leave to get them to file a report on a driver who hit me. Never heard anything back.

Also reported someone putting down booby traps on my street for cyclists and had the same "we don't give a crap" response. I think you'd have to actually be killed/seriously injured and police to be called to the scene of the accident for them to even consider doing anything.

I doubt they’d even come then.

News would report it as “cyclist injures self when riding through local man’s craft project”

cebrail posted:

I started the day with an involuntary 20 minute break and the realisation that this new route I was riding has one drawback: Lifting bridges are sometimes, um, lifted.

with a view!

Bikes are great.

I love riding in Germany so, so much. :ck5:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

cebrail posted:

This reminds me of a place not far from where I grew up. The Joe Page Bridge in Hardin, Illinois is a vertical-lift bridge, the only one I've seen around here. Somewhere on my hard drive are some pictures I took of it from a boat on the river. They also grow a lot of tree fruit in the area--peaches, apples, etc.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

cebrail posted:

with a view!

Bikes are great.

That looks rad as hell. Jealous of Euro goons posting these idyllic little countryside river trails.

Question for the thread!

Since getting fitted, I've been struggling to find that sweet spot for my new body position that both feels natural and is in keeping with good bike form, but I think I found it last night.

I came from powerlifting-oriented weight stuff when the world ended, so I've got decent core strength (even if it's not close to where it was), and I've been focused on trying to use core rigidity to get the weight off my hands.

Last night I think i wound up flaring my lats for whatever reason, and immediately was like oh poo poo there it is. Making a conscious effort to keep my lats involved seemed to hit the sweet spot for me, my hands felt light, my power generation was fantastic, etc. I guess I'm wondering, is that something I'm
supposed to be doing?

The bits I've read online pretty much only mention core strength, elbows slightly bent and dropped shoulders, and I just wanted to make sure spreading them wings isn't going to wind up loving me up somehow. Thanks!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I did 31 miles but my garmin decided to go to sleep lol.
I'm still getting a pizza

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

I did 31 miles but my garmin decided to go to sleep lol.
I'm still getting a pizza

A couple weeks ago, I did a short 10 Mile ride. But, I forgot to turn off my tracker, so when I got in the car and drove home, it kept going. I averaged about 30 miles an hour that day.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I made a segment for getting an ambulance ride from the downhill park to the ER

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Aww yeah, I love ambulance segments. They look so funny when graphed out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I just got a dynaplug yesterday in the mail and despite never needing one over the past 3 years I used it twice today, first one was successful but second couldn't fix the sidewall gash and when I put a tube in the tire the stupid loving valve core was bent and when I tried to fix it, the valve core snapped and apparently it was the type to be integrated into the valve and I couldnt remove it? gently caress me

had to call my wife to come and get me and take me home the last 5mi

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I am a sucker for sunset through the trees.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've been running as part of my physio to get over my injury and I thought I'd just apologise to the thread for it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do we know about the hilarious new EU law which will put speed limiters tied into satellites, which will automatically turn down engines to the speed limit, on all new cars?

Happy Sunday Morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Do we know about the hilarious new EU law which will put speed limiters tied into satellites, which will automatically turn down engines to the speed limit, on all new cars?

Happy Sunday Morning!

You can just override it by pressing the accelerator.