Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

OddObserver posted:

Well, it's Latin from Romn, not Latin from Rome...
... Though shouldn't it be Glian...? What did the Gauls originally speak anyway?

They just call it Gallic but Gaul is an umbrella term for tons of different Celtic peoples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OddObserver posted:

What did the Gauls originally speak anyway?

word salad

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wow the combat in Caligula Effect is really bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It sure is. I assume the original Vita version was even worse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's kinda cool I guess, it makes the random battles take too long though. Would've been a better game if they had focused on fewer higher quality battles

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Having a x4 speed option or something would have made it way better. Might stick with it just to see the story but it did not leave a good first impression after an hour.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even the biggest caligula fans I know wouldn't have much nice to say about the gameplay

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Harrow posted:

Anyone familiar with Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi? I saw a Wario64 tweet about it going up for preorder and the art looks cool. I haven't played a first-person dungeon crawler in a while so I'm curious how this one is. I'm missing that dungeon crawling experience in the absence of new Etrian Odyssey games.

It's by Experience, which has a long history of making solid if not super innovative dungeon crawlers, so it's probably going to be at least okay.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Even the biggest caligula fans I know wouldn't have much nice to say about the gameplay

The best I can say about it is is there is the skeleton of a fun and unique system in there. Making area control and timing matter is pretty interesting in an RPG. But the way it works in Caligula takes to long and is really finnicky

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skjorte posted:

Full disclosure: I'm on friendly terms with the creator (or, well, at least he hasn't given me any indication that the blood altar is calling for my sacrifice), who's been super generous with his time in helping me get my own (unfortunately far less Lynchian) RPG Maker project on track.

That being said, Wooden Ocean is genuinely one of the most intriguing games I've ever stumbled upon. It released on Itch.io half a decade or so ago, but it's had so many updates since then that it's essentially Wooden Ocean 1 + its own sequel (as he doesn't feel the need to put an official WO2) at this point, with another sizable expansion seemingly right around the corner. The amount of maps (not to mention the size and density of most them) and systems (both obvious and hidden) is staggering, the original tunes are brilliant, and the weirdness of the universe is unlike anything else I've seen. It's bit too on the "hardcore RPG" side for me in terms of navigating the world without getting very lost or very murdered, but there's enough heart and mystery there that it'll probably end up one of my most played games on Steam when it's all said and done.

I don't know if the dude's done any PR at all for the game--the Steam description doesn't do him any favors on that front, either--but I'm happy to read that someone out there came across it and is digging it. :) There's a ton of content in there if you can get to it!
Well, I grabbed it. Got any basic advice for getting started? System traps to a voi,d or anything?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Skjorte posted:

Full disclosure: I'm on friendly terms with the creator (or, well, at least he hasn't given me any indication that the blood altar is calling for my sacrifice), who's been super generous with his time in helping me get my own (unfortunately far less Lynchian) RPG Maker project on track.

That being said, Wooden Ocean is genuinely one of the most intriguing games I've ever stumbled upon. It released on Itch.io half a decade or so ago, but it's had so many updates since then that it's essentially Wooden Ocean 1 + its own sequel (as he doesn't feel the need to put an official WO2) at this point, with another sizable expansion seemingly right around the corner. The amount of maps (not to mention the size and density of most them) and systems (both obvious and hidden) is staggering, the original tunes are brilliant, and the weirdness of the universe is unlike anything else I've seen. It's bit too on the "hardcore RPG" side for me in terms of navigating the world without getting very lost or very murdered, but there's enough heart and mystery there that it'll probably end up one of my most played games on Steam when it's all said and done.

I don't know if the dude's done any PR at all for the game--the Steam description doesn't do him any favors on that front, either--but I'm happy to read that someone out there came across it and is digging it. :) There's a ton of content in there if you can get to it!

Well you can tell him you got him one purchase. I'm in a funk and could use some weird poo poo to snap me out of it.

On the other side of things I've been plugging through Dark Deity. I enjoy it when I'm playing it but then I put it down and don't get back to it for a day or 3.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 3, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Monstrum Nox is like one of the least word salady titles.

Now, let's talk about Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Monstrum Nox is like one of the least word salady titles.

Hey, I know what all of those words mean, and hardly any of them are Latin.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Zereth posted:

Well, I grabbed it. Got any basic advice for getting started? System traps to a voi,d or anything?

Honestly I don't think there are any system traps if you read the manual. Even Element selection isn't that big of a deal just because there's elemental rings that let you cover other magic anyway.

(Though I would frankly take Lightning no matter what from what I see because come on, Spell Haste.)

Could probably use a very costly talent reset system, but that's about it.

Just... save often. You "will" die.

Oh, one thing: talk to the animals.

---

Skjorte posted:

I noticed the butterfly in a certain town. I posted something on Steam he might find most murda. No idea if he checks the forums though, and his Discord link is kaput.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 3, 2021

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Well you can tell him you got him one purchase. I'm in a funk and could use some weird poo poo to snap me out of it.

Zereth posted:

Awesome! Thanks for taking the plunge. :)

If you see a pentagram somewhere, go beat up the mini boss contained within it. Destroying these enemy strongholds is the fastest way to decrease monster activity and growth. On that note, in the mining camp, you can talk to an NPC that will ask you to set up a defense pillar. While not essential, I recommend you get this done before you log too many hours of play, especially if you're not having any luck finding pentagrams to destroy or quests to finish.

One major thing that's easy to miss, or brush aside as insignificant, is the Ghost Town. Most of the stats (Population, Happiness, Crime, etc.) you see on the Continue Game screen directly relate to this mini game. Talk to an elderly gentleman on the side of the road between South and North Kattis to trigger the quest, then go west to visit the town and get briefed on how it works. From then on, you just check in every now and again (make sure to activate the fast-travel crystal! These are pretty easy to miss in general, but you'll want to activate 'em all) to get your salary, buy items at a 10% discount, and put to use whatever Population points you've collected. The town also has a sphere grid-type talent system, an optional NPC party member, as well as an option to respec skill points for each character.

The manual that Tallgeese mentioned is a pretty comprehensive BeforeIplay for Wooden Ocean.

Tallgeese posted:

I noticed the butterfly in a certain town. I posted something on Steam he might find most murda. No idea if he checks the forums though, and his Discord link is kaput.

He's been very quiet while working on the latest update, but I think he does read and take into account all Steam feedback, so I expect you'll see him writing in tongues at you eventually. Previous attempts at avoiding the disaster that the butterfly speaks of seem to have clashed with whatever magic goo he's had to put in there to pull off the faux 3D scenes without everything exploding.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Morpheus posted:

I'm five hours in and it's a great game that more of you should be playing. It's a Metroidvania and not an RPG though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm five hours in and it's a great game that more of you should be playing. It's a Metroidvania and not an RPG though.

The best metroidvanias are the ones that are rpgs.

Ender Lilies is still pretty good though.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
What's a good hidden gem jrpg? I wanna get into a really big and dense jrpg, but I've tried or beaten most of the big blockbuster stuff of the last decade that people recommend. I tried some of the Falcom games, but couldn't really get into either of the translated Trails series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

What's a good hidden gem jrpg? I wanna get into a really big and dense jrpg, but I've tried or beaten most of the big blockbuster stuff of the last decade that people recommend. I tried some of the Falcom games, but couldn't really get into either of the translated Trails series.
Have you played any of the Tales games? I wouldn't really describe them as blockbusters but theyre bigger than Trails.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elswyyr posted:

Lost Oddysey

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I always rec Ogre Battle 64 but I admit it's pretty niche

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

Have you played any of the Tales games? I wouldn't really describe them as blockbusters but theyre bigger than Trails.

Played and loved Berseria, but I'm hearing it's by far the best one. I'd try Lost Odyssey, but I don't have a 360.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Elswyyr posted:

Final Fantasy, OP.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

sting's department heaven series is one of my go-to recs: riviera the promised land, yggdra union (which got its own spinoff series), knights in the nightmare, and gungnir (haven't actually played this one)

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

Grandia is an enjoyable series of PS1/2 JRPGs with excellent battle systems that got a HD remaster pack on the Switch a few years back. If you like 1990s adventure anime you might like these.

Moon is a weird and interesting PS1 JRPG about JRPGs. It only just got translated to English last year for the Switch.

Wild Arms 3 is the best game in that franchise, and the only one available for download in the Playstation store. It's a fun post-apocalyptic Western adventure, although the combat is pretty basic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

Played and loved Berseria, but I'm hearing it's by far the best one. I'd try Lost Odyssey, but I don't have a 360.
Tales of Graces F's plot isn't very good, but the skits are funny and the combat is great. Tales of Xillia is decent, I mostly like its writing minus a few hiccups even if I don't love it as much as Berseria's. Those are the two I'd recommend of the more 'recent' (read: within the past decade) ones.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elswyyr posted:

Could you list some of the games you've played and liked? Blockbuster could mean a lot of things.

If you haven't the Whole Megaten series, barring a few, Persona 4, is worth playing. Nocturne HD just came out and could be a good starting point

Shadow Hearts is one of my favorite series, I wouldn't call it super deep or anything but the battlesystem keeps you engaged and the story and characters are very well done. As well as having a very unique atmosphere. You can probably skip Koudelka and 3. Koudelka is...Interesting but I've already seen one person bounce from it on these forums. 3 is just not great

Tactics Ogre LUCT for PSP is some of the best writing in games, and very dense, being a competitionist in it will lead you to madness.

TWEWY for DS is great, can't rec the version for any other platform

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elswyyr posted:

What kind of game are you looking for specifically? Do you want like a long turn-based game, an action RPG etc? Games with set protagonists or SRPGs where you can build a party?

Have you played Dragon Quest? 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10 are all really long and good JRPGs. The Monster raising spinoff games for it are also really good if your in the mood for monster-catching/raising sims.

If you like giant robot anime maybe check out Super Robot Wars? The three most recent games V, X and T have English releases

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 3, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

SaGa: Scarlet Grace is big and dense in every way but narrative.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Final Fantasy, OP.
sounds good i'll take it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Morpheus posted:

It's supremely mediocre. Combat, music, movement, level design, basically everything that isn't the art is meh at best. Especially the combat and movement. It's not fast and responsive like a metroidvania, Dead Cells, Deedlit, etc but it's also not slower and intentional like Death's Gambit and Blasphemous. It just occupies some weird mushy middle ground that does not feel good at all.

It's not a bad game, but it certainly isn't a good one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Final Fantasy, OP.

I dunno, they should probably play all the other fantasies first before playing the final one, but that's just my opinion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had to do a double take on Ender Lilies because it almost exactly resembles Vigil: The Longest Night which was a fun little Metroidvania I played last year.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elswyyr posted:

I think I'm contractually obligated to say atelier

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you do, sometimes, find hidden gems in those games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

I dunno, they should probably play all the other fantasies first before playing the final one, but that's just my opinion

Hmm you’re probably right.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

Going to throw my hat in with Grandia. I just picked it up for $10 in the steam sale. Has a lot of the 90's jrpg issues (unskippable text/cutscenes, linear story, long spell animations), but the story has been fun so far and I enjoy the old style grinding, so worth a pickup.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

jimmy and the pulsating mass, if "games with jrpg mechanics" count

resonance of fate is also solid if you can tolerate a combat system that's simultaneously very complex and very monotonous

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

did resonance escape the ps3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Amppelix posted:

did resonance escape the ps3?

it got an hd remaster several years ago. the PC port's allegedly an unstable wreck but the PS4 version is fine