Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The adult baby fetishists in DLC 3 are the worst enemies in the game. Change my mind

Yeah the babies are super annoying. Mega defense with stone skin, interrupts what you are doing with hi ki damage screeching, attracting more enemies, taxing your elemental items.

Overall the enemy I find the most annoying is the snakeheads from the early dlc1 in Nioh1. High health before you can get good weapons from the DLC, hide inside enemies that makes them annoying to spot at a distance, oh look, there's a guy on the tower with a cannon, that's annoying so I'll shoot him on no he's a snakehead with tons of health and now he's spitting homing fireballs nonstop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
there is nothing wrong with boss baby

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm happy to confirm that the first boss of the first DLC is Umi Bozu but not poo poo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm happy to confirm that the first boss of the first DLC is Umi Bozu but not poo poo

And his soul core is situationally pretty great. It takes forever and leaves you pretty vulnerable, but if you can corner a single enemy it will either completely destroy them or at a minimum leave them Confused with water and lightning.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is there a version out there of the Ryomen Sukuna fight song--that's also used in a couple other battles--that ends in that sick duel-yelling harmony? The only place I could find it is here (a few seconds after the time stamp) and it's not very clean. Individually uploaded tracks seem to loop, at least the ones named Ryomen Sukuna. If it has another name, I don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T0RZZAt00k&t=187s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they get rid of the broken slow down spell for Nioh 2 or can I just not find it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's still there, but not quite as broken

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Did they get rid of the broken slow down spell for Nioh 2 or can I just not find it?

Sloth talisman was nerfed to wear off much faster and it's pretty expensive

Fortunately, a few difficulties in you can get accessories that automatically apply sloth when you hit with either onmyo or ninjutsu, and that applies on hit if you're using elemental talismans or a single shuriken or whatever, so you can (and should) have everything back to permaslow eventually as long as you're landing hits

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, any other good broken combinations in 2? I've literally only just finished the first mission and side mission lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I bought the complete Nioh collection for PS5 recently and folks, this game is very fun. I’ve been doing a kusarigama/shuriken build and it’s been great. I’m maybe cheesing bosses by taking out huge chunks of their health with storm kunai but eh, I’m still dying a lot so it’s not like I busted the difficulty too much. It’s my first Soulslike and I don’t feel the need to do it “legit”

The stance system rules. I love being able to switch my stance depending on the situation, it really adds a lot of depth to the combat.

Also exploring levels looking for kodamas or little hidden secrets is pretty nice. I like the feeling of looking through every nook and cranny after clearing out all the nearby enemies

Game fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Breaking the game is doing Nioh 'legit', standing toe to toe and blocking/dodging everything like a Souls game is the worst way to play it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Breaking the game is doing Nioh 'legit', standing toe to toe and blocking/dodging everything like a Souls game is the worst way to play it.

Which is why I think the first boss outside of the castle in nioh is such a pain. No cheese available. After that it's so much easier.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

standing toe to toe and blocking/dodging everything like a Souls game is the worst way to play it.

This is how I play it and it's incredibly fun. More specifically I Combo, Ki-Pulse Stance-Switch, Combo, dodge, Stance-Switch Combo, block, Combo, weave out because I hosed up a Ki-Pulse which isn't much like a Souls game at all but I wouldn't call it breaking the game.

Breaking the game is always legit, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but you have to be good at the game to do that so eh

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

did the first region on dream of the wise expeditions. so far it's fine, hasn't been too rude yet.

I'm glad they're finally using DLC enemies throughout the whole game now. Dream of the demon only added the sohaya guys and not any of the new yokai for some reason. There's a lot of new variety now. I know it will eventually become bullshit and I'll quit but until that happens, NG+ rocks in this game. when I started, I never thought I would eventually be 160 hours into this game on the same save.

what's the process for getting a set of ethereal gear with the grace you want? Since you can't craft ethereal gear, do you just forge a divine set with a guaranteed effect you want and use "lucky drop: armor" until it drops with the grace? Or do you just clownsuit and go with whatever pieces you see that drop with the grace? I'm still just using onmyo warrior until I can get either tsukuyomi or takemikazuchi going.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 27, 2021

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

what's the process for getting a set of ethereal gear with the grace you want?

You go to Dream of the Nioh and farm the Underworld :v:

*glances nervously at 272.8-hours-and-counting play time*

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/thetoughestbean/status/1409077089966473216?s=21

I appreciate that Honda Tadakatsu never blocks

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I managed to get to Dream of the Wise and hehe, I'm in danger :haw:

I don't think I want build advice per se but just a general idea on: where exactly should I put my stat points?. I went through Dream of the Demon with Benzaiten, tonfas and kusarigama primarily (both reforged towards Dex), with Dex at 70 and a bunch of stuff at 50. I was just kind of haphazardly/arbitrarily increasing stats. But now I feel like I should probably pay attention to where I'm at. I'm essentially all about light armor/agility/evasion, and I'm at/around level 300.

I'm basically asking for any 'rule of thumbs' for stat distribution for an evasive/dex-centric character

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Morter posted:

I managed to get to Dream of the Wise and hehe, I'm in danger :haw:

I don't think I want build advice per se but just a general idea on: where exactly should I put my stat points?. I went through Dream of the Demon with Benzaiten, tonfas and kusarigama primarily (both reforged towards Dex), with Dex at 70 and a bunch of stuff at 50. I was just kind of haphazardly/arbitrarily increasing stats. But now I feel like I should probably pay attention to where I'm at. I'm essentially all about light armor/agility/evasion, and I'm at/around level 300.

I'm basically asking for any 'rule of thumbs' for stat distribution for an evasive/dex-centric character

Might as well focus on maxing dex. Get magic up to 30 if you are using it for buffs. Add in some con if you are getting one shot too much.

You can buy cheap respecs from the hidden tea house. Their costs cap out at 1k glory which is nothing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The same style of build but taken much further simply kills them in one hit. Nioh is like Diablo and it's made to be "broken"

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I hated the boss of the last main mission in the second DLC until I beat it, then I loved it.
Normally if I hate a boss I keep hating it, but this one was cool after I was done with it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

I hated the boss of the last main mission in the second DLC until I beat it, then I loved it.
Normally if I hate a boss I keep hating it, but this one was cool after I was done with it.

I’m playing a lightning wizard and this entire DLC seems custom designed to poo poo on lightning specifically. this boss was the first thing we had trouble with in the game, in that we went in with a full blue bar and it just repeatedly one-shotted us through the entire thing, and we had to stack up on lightningstop talismans/lightning omamori to survive anything

Now its soul is the cornerstone of my damage and I’ve spent the following two difficulties using it to destroy everyone dumb enough to be vulnerable to lightning :getin:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’m playing a lightning wizard and this entire DLC seems custom designed to poo poo on lightning specifically. this boss was the first thing we had trouble with in the game, in that we went in with a full blue bar and it just repeatedly one-shotted us through the entire thing, and we had to stack up on lightningstop talismans/lightning omamori to survive anything

Now its soul is the cornerstone of my damage and I’ve spent the following two difficulties using it to destroy everyone dumb enough to be vulnerable to lightning :getin:

I went into this fight with no lightning resistance and somehow beat it that way. I definitely got my rear end kicked very hard and thoroughly and also swiftly for quite a few attempts before it clicked. Then it kinda ruled. Have yet to try out the soul. Always reluctant to mix up my loadout, though, it's not like I use any of my Yokai skills. Except one, sometimes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This get really brings out my butterfingers. I always get r1 and r2 functions confused until I play for about 10 minutes.

I probably should be using soul cores more.

I beat enenra by just being really careful because I don't really know how to play defense. I can never tell if I should block or dodge.

But so far I'm loving Nioh 2.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

This get really brings out my butterfingers. I always get r1 and r2 functions confused until I play for about 10 minutes.

I probably should be using soul cores more.

I beat enenra by just being really careful because I don't really know how to play defense. I can never tell if I should block or dodge.

But so far I'm loving Nioh 2.

This early in the game it's probably safest to dodge. And to dodge away, specifically. Later in the game you'll have more Ki and you can afford to block a hit or a few without getting winded or close to winded.

The thing is even if you block it'll either get your Ki to 0 and your enemy can get a free hit, or worse, a grapple in. Or you get so close to it that you'll want to get out there to replenish your Ki anyway.

Generally speaking, your stance and armor also play into it.

Light Armor: Dodges use less Ki
Heavy Armor: Blocks use less Ki
Keep in mind that just because a dodge or block is more efficient that doesn't mean the other is a bad option, necessarily. But if you struggle to make decisions you can keep that in mind for now

Low Stance: Dodges are better (doing a second dodge immediately won't make you do a combat roll)
Mid Stance: blocks and dodges are equally good.
High Stance: Neither dodge nor block are especially good, high damage though.

There's more depth and nuance to it but that's probably stuff you'll just pick up on as you play, don't worry about it too hard.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Are there I frames on dodge?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes but I trust them about as much as I trusted the ones in Sekiro lol

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anybody got a rec for a build to work towards that involves katanas and one or more of magic/ninjutsu/tonfa/spears/scythe?

Most of the way through way of the strong and level 130ish.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
High stance dodge has more iframes and travels farther, but is much slower than low stance dodge.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Too add a little detail to what Iggy above posted.

Always dodge in Low Stance, it uses way less Ki and allows for much better positioning. Make Low Stance your default mobility stance: run around in Low Stance, approach enemies in Low Stance, dodge away/around them in Low Stance. Switch to Mid or High Stance for damage/utility, then switch back to Low Stance (do it during the Ki-Pulse window to built yourself some solid future habits).

Dodging and blocking are otherwise influenced by your Agility and Toughness ratings, which are affected by your armor. So it is not a definite "heavy = blocking, it is the cumulative effect of your armor on those aforementioned stats. Try and aim for a "B" rating in both as much as you can early on to get yourself some solid all round footing. A "C" rating basically means you can't do that particular bit very well, so watch out. Once you've got a stable "B" rating you can try pushing either of the 2 up to an "A" rating, whichever you prefer.

Giving Yokai abilities a place in your repertoire is an art in and of itself, I found it easiest early on to think of them sort of like a "combo finisher". Yokai Abilities will cancel most if not all recovery animations, which means that if you lay into an enemy with a big hit/active skill that has a long recovery, you can instantly follow up with a Yokai Ability as if it was a part of your sequence/combo. Chop, Chop, Big Swing, Yokai Punch - as an example of your babby combo, then switch to Low Stance to dodge around, or continue the pressure if you break their Ki.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are these blue 'online' quests?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

when starting out, for yokai abilities you can't go wrong just equipping the big snake and throwing it out whenever you have the anima for it. Gozuki is also extremely good out of what's available to you.

Sakurazuka posted:

What are these blue 'online' quests?

missions that were added after the game released. All of them are not bad to do as soon as they're available except for the chinese bellflower dagger.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Also, none of the online missions are required for mission completion trophies, just so you know.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Also, if I recall, you never roll if you keep low stance dodging.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there usually a quicker way to end boss shadow realm phases or do you just have to deal with it?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there usually a quicker way to end boss shadow realm phases or do you just have to deal with it?

Deplete their ki bar and the shadow realm phase will end immediately.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

you can end them by emptying the boss's ki iirc. burst counters and yokai skills are meant to help you with this

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Nioh 2 was not the game to put down for 8 months when your 70% complete. I keep forgetting to ki pluse and I keep press circle to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
This game does a great job at making you feel like a badass.