Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (February 18, 1953)

Oh, Art, if only you knew what the future held for photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Dec. 16th, 1940

Axa

Where else would he play tricks?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Yeah, I was referring to the Fiona storyline. I'm absolutely not qualified to discuss the internal workings of ethnic minority groups.

Something that makes the Fiona storyline worse is how it handled George. His problem wasn't with his ear, it was with how people in K&K's town were racists who assume he's a different species because they only see his ears. Having the guy who's been a target of systematic racism be eager to get rid of his cultural heritage just to fit in is a bad look.

EBB posted:

Two things I love about this:

1. Val learned gently caress all from Gawain about romance during their travels
2. Sacking Rome as a wedding reception is metal as gently caress

I like to imagine Val was seriously regretting that he didn't pay attention to Gawain's antics while trying to come up with a way to propose that Aleta would approve of.

Powered Descent posted:

Orion and Scorpius are on opposite sides of the celestial sphere and so they're never both in the sky at the same time. In fact, the scorpion is supposed to be the one that killed Orion in the original myth, so Orion always stays as far away from it as he can.

I hope you've enjoyed this moment of Pedantic Astronomy™!

I did enjoy that fact, thanks! :shobon:

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

CommonShore posted:

What I'm wondering is why he's bitching about it

That strip really just seems to be "Things were like this, but now they're like this! Can you imagine!" Sometimes the distaste for the new ways is clear, but other times it's equally clearly an observation that the past was a pain in the rear end.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Old-White-Guy's-Petty-Grievanceshaft

Oh my God shut up you awful old man

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I ate steak and played Super Metroid, forgot to update lol

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (January 22, 1936)

I may have said this before, but I love Oaky Doaks. It find it delightfully charming.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: pros and cons (April 15-21, 2002)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Oh my God shut up you awful old man

This may be Baituk's worst in a while and that's saying something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Grandpa Kudlick is right, the burgers only get overdone from insulating and smoking them if your meat is crap and you've padded it with sawdust because you live in 1930s America.

My preferred burger mix involves throwing in a handful of breadcrumbs per pound of ground beef and an egg to bind it all together with a bit of worcestershire sauce. You end up with nice juicy burgers that cook well and have an almost slightly meatloafy flavour, but not oppressively so. If you don't have worcestershire sauce handy, mix in one part brown sugar to two parts ketchup.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Axa

Where else would he play tricks?

Post apocalypse stories in the seventies and eighties tended to play to particular tropes, but I think a crosscountry Formula One race may be unique. Even touring cars might have made more sense.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slammy posted:

Mopsy (March 23, 1937)

In case you were wondering:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good job, Curtis colourist.

Also, ruined? That's a quality anecdote for years to come.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

goatface posted:

I generally rather dislike Curtis, the comic, because it's really mean-spirited towards its main character in a way that defies any real logic

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under Sail

"Oh, those voyeurs from the comic strip thread are here again, better start another adventure."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goatface posted:

Once upon a time - we told each other quality anecdotes from our past.

BUT NOW - WOW!

Everyone's already seen your best ones as viral videos on the internet that someone else made a few hundred off through ads and licensing!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I generally rather dislike Curtis, the comic, because it's really mean-spirited towards its main character in a way that defies any real logic

It's this weird "Dennis the Menace" syndrome when you have a cartoon about a "mischievous" kid, but you're too old/lack the balls to have them actually do any mischief anymore, so you just write the responses to it without the setup. So you end up with this world where the main character is just minding their business and everyone acts like they loving hate them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "107 - Jucika And Spring"

Mad horny today.

"Jucika Modifies"

And a redraw by @PseudonymJones

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think whoever can make contact with the rightsholders should give Deathless Deer another go. I would not mind seeing her again.
It might already be public domain. According to this page, "works registered ... in the U.S. [between 1926 and 1963 and] published with notice but [where] copyright was not renewed [are] in the public domain due to copyright expiration."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kazinsal posted:

Grandpa Kudlick is right, the burgers only get overdone from insulating and smoking them if your meat is crap and you've padded it with sawdust because you live in 1930s America.

My preferred burger mix involves throwing in a handful of breadcrumbs per pound of ground beef and an egg to bind it all together with a bit of worcestershire sauce. You end up with nice juicy burgers that cook well and have an almost slightly meatloafy flavour, but not oppressively so. If you don't have worcestershire sauce handy, mix in one part brown sugar to two parts ketchup.

My father-in-law has proudly declared that his hamburgers are Only Beef, and he cooks them into hockey pucks. Guess where we have to go today for Minimum Family Time?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There is no way in hell Ed knows how to grill well.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (October 20, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (October 20, 1999)

Garfield Classic (October 20, 1989)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Probably on account of how painting took multiple layers and coats of materials to protect the wood and the paint itself and thanks to advances in chemistry you now can just put down a cover coat that has everything blended in.

One of my grandfathers worked as a painter in, oh, I guess the late thirties and early forties, and he referred to modern latex paint as "roll it out and nail the corners down." He loved modern paint for how easy it was, and how any idiot could apply it without too much difficulty.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It might already be public domain. According to this page, "works registered ... in the U.S. [between 1926 and 1963 and] published with notice but [where] copyright was not renewed [are] in the public domain due to copyright expiration."

Depends, of course, on whether the copyright was renewed. Unfortunately, the US Copyright Office's online research tool only covers post-1978 works ... to check before that, you either have to go to their DC office to search physical records or pay to have a search done ($200 per hour, two hour minimum).

Yeah, it's kind of weird to think anyone would bother keeping Deathless Deer under copyright -- but never underestimate the willingness of media companies to sit on properties in the hopes that someone, someday, will want to pay for them.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/3/01

Brenda Starr 10/17-19/46

Smokey Stover 2/1/42

("Quick, Watson, the needle," like "Elementary, my dear Watson," is a phrase that got associated with Sherlock Holmes even though he never actually says it in the books.)

Richard's Poor Almanac

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, in Get Fuzzy We see Bucky and Satchel are sentient. We see other sentient cats and dogs. The ferret never speaks, but is clearly intelligent.

Thus, are ALL (or maybe just mammals?) animals sentient in that world? Or maybe it's a dystopian sci-fi future where some people modified the popular pet creatures to be more intelligent, as a rich person toy, but as things do, expands into the lower markets,

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

RoboRodent posted:

One of my grandfathers worked as a painter in, oh, I guess the late thirties and early forties, and he referred to modern latex paint as "roll it out and nail the corners down." He loved modern paint for how easy it was, and how any idiot could apply it without too much difficulty.
Aw, that's kind of cute. I'm glad he liked that it made his job easier.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hostile V posted:

Probably on account of how painting took multiple layers and coats of materials to protect the wood and the paint itself and thanks to advances in chemistry you now can just put down a cover coat that has everything blended in.

RoboRodent posted:

From my experience, old lead paint gave much better coverage and durability than modern paints, especially latex.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how much have you eaten

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hwurmp posted:

how much have you eaten

Very little. I use a P100 half mask when I remove it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

in the court of the crimson king

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September 3, 1994)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, in Get Fuzzy We see Bucky and Satchel are sentient. We see other sentient cats and dogs. The ferret never speaks, but is clearly intelligent.

Thus, are ALL (or maybe just mammals?) animals sentient in that world? Or maybe it's a dystopian sci-fi future where some people modified the popular pet creatures to be more intelligent, as a rich person toy, but as things do, expands into the lower markets,

Further iterations of the Snoopy Experiment.

Bizarro

Took me forever to find the eighth easter egg in this one.

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like this one.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

This is really poorly worded. The 6th Phantom did all this or his doppelgänger?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

gently caress you.

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

"UNORSEEN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ecolological.