Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

After wrestling with it for a couple hours and consulting the super-snooty Nintendo Homebrew discord, it turns out the refurb 2DSXL I got from Gamestop was not only in almost perfect condition, but also already had CFW on it :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I received my refurb 2dXL from Nintendo a couple days ago. Put CFW and all that stuff on it.

Anyway, I'm playing Metroid Samus Returns. Does the game not control very well or is the circle pad crap because I'm having a hell of a time stuff because nothing feels precise at all.

Also I'm looking for any game recommendations. The only 3ds games I put any time into before were Super Mario 3d Land and Link Between Worlds. I have most of the first party titles but I'll take and 3rd party recommendations as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jose Oquendo posted:

I received my refurb 2dXL from Nintendo a couple days ago. Put CFW and all that stuff on it.

Anyway, I'm playing Metroid Samus Returns. Does the game not control very well or is the circle pad crap because I'm having a hell of a time stuff because nothing feels precise at all.

Also I'm looking for any game recommendations. The only 3ds games I put any time into before were Super Mario 3d Land and Link Between Worlds. I have most of the first party titles but I'll take and 3rd party recommendations as well.

Pocket Card Jockey.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Cave Story 3D and Shovel Knight (assuming you haven’t already played on other platforms)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Can't ever go wrong with Kid Icarus Uprising.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Petiso posted:

Can't ever go wrong with Kid Icarus Uprising.

I have that one, which leads to what I should asked in my previous post.

Any recommendations for a screen protector, or is one even needed? I ordered a kit off Amazon with a carrying case which included a screen protector. It's a poo poo one though because now the touch screen requires a ton of pressure so games like Kid Icarus aren't playable.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Lol my GameStop 2ds is shipped with fedex which means they’ll attempt and fail to deliver to my apartment every day for a week, refuse to hold it at any location for me to pick up, then give up and return to sender.

I wish companies would tell me who they use as a carrier so I know when to just not bother ordering stuff

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have that one, which leads to what I should asked in my previous post.

Any recommendations for a screen protector, or is one even needed? I ordered a kit off Amazon with a carrying case which included a screen protector. It's a poo poo one though because now the touch screen requires a ton of pressure so games like Kid Icarus aren't playable.

I would say use a screen protector if you use the stylus, otherwise I wouldn't bother

Also keep in mind that if you CFW you can inject almost any ROM from the PSX/N64 era and older into Virtual Console containers, so that opens up a lot of possibilities.

PSX games run, but not extremely well, but something like FF7 or 8 is pretty much totally playable AFAIK

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I really want to start Pushmo 2 but I'm stuck on the Special Stages of Pushmo 1. I'm pretty sure they're the last thing I have to do, but I'm just on the 3rd one and holy poo poo is it getting me good. I'm sure I'll manage but the first one alone took me several days to figure out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Something felt off about the controls for me too, i eventually lost interest in the game because I didn't like how it handled.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

My opinion is it's not needed due to the self-protecting nature of the clamshell design. Of course, heavy use can cause tiny scratches on the bottom screen but honestly they're just lousy low-res TN screens, and the top screen is the main one anyway. I can't bring myself to care enough to use a screen protector.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

It’s just a terrible feeling game unfortunately

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s just a terrible feeling game unfortunately

OK glad it's not me being a dumb old man. poo poo like "stop moving, crouch, and fire a missile" is a chore in this game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Felt great to me but I could see how someone wouldn’t think so.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's the goon recommended N3DSXL grip? Looking to grab one before 3DS accessories get even more expensive.
You missed the boat on the Hori Monster Hunter X and XX grips that feel like an Xbox controller and relocate the shoulder buttons for maximum comfort, they're already $100+,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ds+ll&_osacat=0

but if you just want a regular plastic grip they're still $10-20 on aliexpress and amazon and I don't think they're going to shoot up in price just yet

https://www.amazon.com/MyLifeUNIT-Handle-Nintendo-New-3DS-XL/dp/B018VAEXD0/

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 4, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That one looks drat nice but I thought it was a bit too expensive even when it was new.

I ordered the second one.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4 / Apocalypse
Kirby: Planet Robobot

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Speaking of CFW, is it safe to go onto the eShop with it on? I have it on my older model 3DS, but I've been thinking about putting it on my new 3DS XL

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah I’ve done it and I’ve been fine

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's completely safe as of right now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SeANMcBAY posted:

That one looks drat nice but I thought it was a bit too expensive even when it was new.

I ordered the second one.
Yeah because it was a Japan import the Hori was always $40-50 even back when it was new.

The second one was one I was looking at way back when I was looking for a grip for my new 3DS XL back when it was still relatively new, but heads up, I just noticed the 2 most recent reviews are negative, complaining about poor fit, it's possible the item has been replaced by an inferior revision/knockoff but retaining the same item listing, which does happen. Amazon is basically AliExpress, after all, but at least it's easier to return stuff if it's a scam listing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It was basically free after the coupon I had in there so big deal if it’s poo poo.

This is probably the only system I’ve felt the need to have a grip for. The Switch is fine for me in portable mode but my N3DSXL hurts the poo poo out of my hands after only like 40 min.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was basically free after the coupon I had in there so big deal if it’s poo poo.

This is probably the only system I’ve felt the need to have a grip for. The Switch is fine for me in portable mode but my N3DSXL hurts the poo poo out of my hands after only like 40 min.

Yeah for some reason I find the N3DSXL really uncomfortable too. The N2DSXL seems better so far.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah for some reason I find the N3DSXL really uncomfortable too. The N2DSXL seems better so far.

The screen on the N3DSXL is significantly heavier.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The old 2DS feels the most comfortable to me out of the line but I like the 3D eye tracking and extra processing power since I use CFW.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah for some reason I find the N3DSXL really uncomfortable too.

I can only play it for a short while before it becomes super uncomfortable, it’s just a bad console for that. Even the way you hold it is super awkward.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The perfect 3DS is the Nu3DS with the faceplates. Perfect size, perfect weight.

I am still mad I didn't think of grabbing a few extra units a few years back before they discontinued the thing globally. Even in Europe, which had it as a standard release, it disappeared suddenty one day, with the XL model being the only one available after about a year or two of their introduction.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saoshyant posted:

I am still mad I didn't think of grabbing a few extra units a few years back before they discontinued the thing globally. Even in Europe, which had it as a standard release, it disappeared suddenty one day, with the XL model being the only one available after about a year or two of their introduction.

I wish I grabbed one back then too but I’d maybe find the screen too small. Even the XL screen seems small these days after being used to the Switch screen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish I grabbed one back then too but I’d maybe find the screen too small. Even the XL screen seems small these days after being used to the Switch screen.

Yeah, the mini n3ds has really small screens. Same size as the 2ds.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Yeah, I wanted to like the regular n3DS but the screens are just a bit too small. For me it seems just under the threshold that the 3D seems more "immersive".

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I wanted the small N3DS real bad at the time but I guess since I don’t carry a DS in my pocket anymore it’s no big deal having big ones now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The N2DSXL is pretty much the perfect screen size/weight/form factor for me and I don’t really use the 3D anyway so it’s no big loss.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For some reason I sold my 3DS years ago but today got the hankering to play some of the Mario games I used to own again. Cheapest one that didn't look to be scratched to hell was a Japanese LL import which is fine, I can get around in JP. Just need to CFW it to region unlock and start remembering which of the games I was actually missing. I'm pretty sure I legit bought some of the Mario games in the e-shop but I'm guessing that a Japanese coded 3DS is going to be persona non grata with my NA eShop account? Which is probably also fine, I'll just need to source these elsewhere.

e: lime green supremacy

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Martytoof posted:

For some reason I sold my 3DS years ago but today got the hankering to play some of the Mario games I used to own again. Cheapest one that didn't look to be scratched to hell was a Japanese LL import which is fine, I can get around in JP. Just need to CFW it to region unlock and start remembering which of the games I was actually missing. I'm pretty sure I legit bought some of the Mario games in the e-shop but I'm guessing that a Japanese coded 3DS is going to be persona non grata with my NA eShop account? Which is probably also fine, I'll just need to source these elsewhere.

e: lime green supremacy

I was curious about this when I was getting a new 3DS a while back - consensus that I found online seemed to be that if a unit had ever used the eShop in one region, it was permanently locked to that for eShop purposes. So, you could buy a new, boxed unit and region switch etc very carefully and use the NA eShop, but if that particular 3DS used the JP eShop once it was forever locked. So, think it’s a matter of whether the previous owner(s) ever used it online, which they likely did.

Could be wrong, though, so anyone feel free to correct me - I managed to get a nice US model on eBay at a reasonable price after a while spent searching so never had to try this out

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll do the needful and test it for everyone once it arrives then. I'm ready for the answer to be as you stated. Which is fine, as long as I can region unlock it the rest is cake.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Followup. Not going to bother, I forgot about all the NNID stuff that the 3DS was crippled with and I’d have to do a transfer if I wanted all those things on my new unit. Not going to bother, especially cross-region.

Got the Japanese 3DS LL today. Really nice system. I’ve only had it a few hours but I think it’s the right size for me.

That said, buying a Japanese system — I thought “ha ha how much trouble could it be to translate Japanese menus? You just need to do it once and I already know a bunch of Japanese so how bad could it be??” but man holy poo poo is it ever a chore if you’re trying to do find a specific menu option or troubleshoot, when you can’t just understand the screen by scanning across it. I got everything set up but now the eShop dropped a Kirby demo link on my home screen and I can’t figure out a way to delete it. It’s not showing up in the Data Management section of the settings. I managed to get rid of a bunch of other demos by just going to the eshop and actually downloading the binaries, then interrupting the download. This one wants me to pay so no way that’s happening.

I could probably flash a NA firmware onto it but I’m going to hold off as a last resort. If anything I’ll just do a factory restore and ask it not to drop demos this time.

E: I even tried to go in and delete it with FBI but not having much luck finding it. I’m cursed to stare at this Kirby icon until it drives me nuts.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 20, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Followup. Not going to bother, I forgot about all the NNID stuff that the 3DS was crippled with and I’d have to do a transfer if I wanted all those things on my new unit. Not going to bother, especially cross-region.

Got the Japanese 3DS LL today. Really nice system. I’ve only had it a few hours but I think it’s the right size for me.

That said, buying a Japanese system — I thought “ha ha how much trouble could it be to translate Japanese menus? You just need to do it once and I already know a bunch of Japanese so how bad could it be??” but man holy poo poo is it ever a chore if you’re trying to do find a specific menu option or troubleshoot, when you can’t just understand the screen by scanning across it. I got everything set up but now the eShop dropped a Kirby demo link on my home screen and I can’t figure out a way to delete it. It’s not showing up in the Data Management section of the settings. I managed to get rid of a bunch of other demos by just going to the eshop and actually downloading the binaries, then interrupting the download. This one wants me to pay so no way that’s happening.

I could probably flash a NA firmware onto it but I’m going to hold off as a last resort. If anything I’ll just do a factory restore and ask it not to drop demos this time.

E: I even tried to go in and delete it with FBI but not having much luck finding it. I’m cursed to stare at this Kirby icon until it drives me nuts.

IIRC if you run the demo, it will tell you something along the lines of "this is just a placeholder you need to actually download the demo" and if you hit "no" it'll ask you if you want to remove the shortcut

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Huh, I could have sworn I did that but after like 40 minutes of going back and forth with my JP-EN dictionary maybe I got tired and started assuming I clicked cancel. I’ll give this another shot, thanks.

e: Yes, you were absolutely right: Launch icon -> Cancel -> "oh no your icon will be deleted y/n" -> Y

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not to livejournal my impressions here but anyone who is buying an out of region non-english 3DS, make sure you grab the latest LumaLocaleSwitcher and force your games to the right region/language.

I'm SLIGHTLY regretting purchasing the Japanese LL just because I don't love the idea of having to translate the popups any time anything out of the ordinary happens, but at the same time not annoyed enough to actually follow through with a region change re-flash because of possible eShop or online issues, not that I really plan to do much of that anyway. I guess time will tell just how annoying the whole thing is. For now it's still a really good platform for just popping in a game and playing, but the initial setup was a little more frustrating than I'd hoped just because of all the region forcing and translation.

All's well that ends well, except for the battery which is apparently dead and holds no charge so I guess that's the only casualty of age, but a problem that $20 can fix.

e: Oh and also gently caress the circle-pad and its teflon like surface. I don't remember it being this bad on my old 3DS but maybe the previous user just wore it slick? I 100% need to replace that thing for any serious use. Five minutes into SMB3 I was hating it, but for some reason it feels more natural to use than the d-pad, just due to finger positioning.