Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMcLT8s0zA

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/sophiadimartino/status/1410512718952607744

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Seems odd that I haven’t seen much talk anywhere about the obvious metatext of this series. The TVA zealously guards an arbitrary timeline in an effort to hold back deviant forces, just like Disney has been jealously guarding the MCU timeline and denying outliers like Agents of Shield and the Netflix Marvel shows from being acknowledged. So if, as seems likely, this show ends with the multiverse being set loose, that could herald incorporation of this fringe fiction, as well as the opportunity to go wilder with the weird poo poo in general. Loki (the show) could be an opportunity to ease the audience into this stuff, and I wonder if we’ll see references to AoS or Daredevil or whatever, even if it’s rather oblique.

Another prediction: as some have suggested, the Loki variants will form a “Lokvengers” team, but I think they’ll go further and actually do an extended parody of the first Avengers film, as they go to fight that President Loki guy in the ruined Stark Tower. It would be Loki literally fighting the dickish version of himself. It would be cool to recreate the famous circular hero shot from the Avengers too, with Lokis.

Finally, I am also 100% here for the Owen Wilsonaissance.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Seems odd that I haven’t seen much talk anywhere about the obvious metatext of this series. The TVA zealously guards an arbitrary timeline in an effort to hold back deviant forces, just like Disney has been jealously guarding the MCU timeline and denying outliers like Agents of Shield and the Netflix Marvel shows from being acknowledged. So if, as seems likely, this show ends with the multiverse being set loose, that could herald incorporation of this fringe fiction, as well as the opportunity to go wilder with the weird poo poo in general. Loki (the show) could be an opportunity to ease the audience into this stuff, and I wonder if we’ll see references to AoS or Daredevil or whatever, even if it’s rather oblique.

Another prediction: as some have suggested, the Loki variants will form a “Lokvengers” team, but I think they’ll go further and actually do an extended parody of the first Avengers film, as they go to fight that President Loki guy in the ruined Stark Tower. It would be Loki literally fighting the dickish version of himself. It would be cool to recreate the famous circular hero shot from the Avengers too, with Lokis.

Finally, I am also 100% here for the Owen Wilsonaissance.

So from what I understand the character of Moebius in the comics is based on a key member of staff at Marvel who was known as a keeper of lore and continuity, so there is a little hint of stuff to do with our relationship with the idea of 'canon' in a comic book universe.

In terms of what you're saying about this being a step in the direction of Disney letting loose, I actually think it's the opposite in terms of corporate jealous guardianship - by broading out your various strands into a multiverse where everything's all connected, it not only lets you expand your lore into whatever directions, revisit characters as much as you want (even if they die or whatever), but still keeps it all within the confines of your heavily curated theme park. It's applying a thick coat of corporate synergy over what would otherwise be a cool collection of disparate stories.

Like, I'm probably alone in having preferred Warner Brothers' appraoch with DC over the last few years, where they seem to give directors the chance to tell interesting stories using those characters without sweating too much whether it all fits into a shared universe and what other films you might be in danger of contradiction plot-wise (with the option for creators to link stories together and have some multiverse fun if they wish!). I feel like ultimately that's a much better approach that lets filmmakers be more creative without ultimately having to figure out how their stories work within an underlying corporate cosmology.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

DaveKap posted:

I wonder how much it would cost Disney to actually make that show. That 26 episode, episodic "mystery of the week" show that only has a vague overarching plot that doesn't really matter enough to force you to watch every episode in a row. 24 minute run time and just having fun. Doesn't even need a bunch of special effects. But would require the same actors. $500 million?

They won't do it with Loki, but I think they'll eventually do a full-bore properly MCU-set show on Disney+ that follows the traditional network TV model of 20+ episodes a year, probably with one of their more ground-level heroes and in a format that'd work as something like a procedural or even an outright comedy. If it happens, it'll be after they've really gone through heaps of characters in more limited series and movies, and it'll involve characters whose powers won't break the budget. If it weren't for those pesky costly mutant powers, something like a high school drama set at Xavier's school of mutants would be a candidate.

If I could only pitch one idea for that type of show, actually, it'd be to do it without any front and center superheroes at all and make it more about characters bouncing around the various shows and canon of the MCU in a similar way to how early Agents of Shield did, but now with the benefit of being fully embraced and very rarely (because these characters wouldn't have much impact on most stuff at the superhero-level) getting that classic "shout out one MCU project in another MCU project" treatment. Do a show about the Daily Bugle and feature journalists trying to cover all sorts of crazy superhero news, expose evil stuff that Roxxon's getting up to, go after some MCU politicians, and so on. J.J. Jameson can cameo here and there as the former owner of the Bugle who got kicked out and is doing fringe internet/podcast stuff now (similar to his current position in the comics). And since lots of MCU stuff goes down in New York, there's lots of stuff to tie-in there. The characters with powers who properly show up there are the D-listers of Marvel, but it shouldn't be too hard to include quick literal 10-second short interview spots with public heroes (such as the fantastic four when they show up) as just a quick scene added on to the shooting session of any given Disney+ show or movie. This also avoids the perils of trying to do something like a cop procedural now, or to a lesser extent a government agent show.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd certainly watch a show like that, and I imagine Disney could pop out 13 episodes of it on the cheap and then start extending it from there if it starts catching on.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

So Wellington Paranormal but it's on the MCU instead?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

She-Hulk legal dramedy where the only thing is she's green.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The Green Fight

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

mutata posted:

She-Hulk legal dramedy where the only thing is she's green.

Isn't this basically the (short-lived) Charles Soule run?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Like what if shield had agents of some variety

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NowonSA posted:

They won't do it with Loki, but I think they'll eventually do a full-bore properly MCU-set show on Disney+ that follows the traditional network TV model of 20+ episodes a year, probably with one of their more ground-level heroes and in a format that'd work as something like a procedural or even an outright comedy. If it happens, it'll be after they've really gone through heaps of characters in more limited series and movies, and it'll involve characters whose powers won't break the budget. If it weren't for those pesky costly mutant powers, something like a high school drama set at Xavier's school of mutants would be a candidate.

If I could only pitch one idea for that type of show, actually, it'd be to do it without any front and center superheroes at all and make it more about characters bouncing around the various shows and canon of the MCU in a similar way to how early Agents of Shield did, but now with the benefit of being fully embraced and very rarely (because these characters wouldn't have much impact on most stuff at the superhero-level) getting that classic "shout out one MCU project in another MCU project" treatment. Do a show about the Daily Bugle and feature journalists trying to cover all sorts of crazy superhero news, expose evil stuff that Roxxon's getting up to, go after some MCU politicians, and so on. J.J. Jameson can cameo here and there as the former owner of the Bugle who got kicked out and is doing fringe internet/podcast stuff now (similar to his current position in the comics). And since lots of MCU stuff goes down in New York, there's lots of stuff to tie-in there. The characters with powers who properly show up there are the D-listers of Marvel, but it shouldn't be too hard to include quick literal 10-second short interview spots with public heroes (such as the fantastic four when they show up) as just a quick scene added on to the shooting session of any given Disney+ show or movie. This also avoids the perils of trying to do something like a cop procedural now, or to a lesser extent a government agent show.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd certainly watch a show like that, and I imagine Disney could pop out 13 episodes of it on the cheap and then start extending it from there if it starts catching on.

I know people who couldn't care less about comics but loving love Pennyworth. There's definitely room for a show that just sorta exists in the world but isn't specifically about a superhero.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Dammit, just make the Damage Control series already!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

So Wellington Paranormal but it's on the MCU instead?

Or MCU X-Files with Kat Dennings and Randall Park investigating weird supers stuff.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Modern Leper posted:

Dammit, just make the Damage Control series already!

Even do it like an MCU Powerless.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Azhais posted:

Like what if shield had agents of some variety

Yeah that's the obvious comparison to what I have in mind, but I'm envisioning something that basically has almost no SFX shots/CGI at all, and AoS always had elements of that floating throughout the episodes. I think they'll reach the point where there's enough of that high-cost and cool looking stuff happening across various MCU properties, and that'll open up room for a low-CGI and character focused show to work. We're probably also nearing the point where we've been given the impressive superhero spectacle enough times that it will be less interesting to the public at large, and going the other way may capture people's attention.

If they do it at all soon (which they won't, but it's fun to imagine they would), then "news company and its various employees deal with the fallout of half the population vanishing and reappearing five years later" is already a plenty interesting premise. There's plenty of meat on that bone to be gnawed on, and based it around a news organization lets it believably touch on almost any corner of the world. Even if they refer to it as an event that happened 10-15 years ago, it's by far the biggest thing to have happened in all of human history in the MCU. I imagine it could have some ripple effects that would be interesting to explore, and not something that normal people and governments have just fixed and "gotten past" quickly.

I'm also on that low-CGI kick because its use has become such a prominent calling card in the MCU. By and large the effects are done very well, but I think limiting it and doing things more practically when necessary can be a very successful formula. The Netflix Marvel shows are the obvious point of comparison there.

Pennyworth is a very valid comparison to what I have in mind. There's been SO MUCH Batman media produced between live-action T.V. shows, movies, and animated shows, just like there's been SO MUCH MCU stuff put out there. But there's a fun show to be had by drilling down into one supporting aspect or minor character of the property.

I also think people would get a kick out of seeing a fictional news team digging around into fictional very bad things and exposing them to the public. Think Spotlight but extended into a series and not delving into a topic that super bums you out. Then you throw the occasional super-hero thing into the mix to liven things up, and away you go.

I'm frankly surprised that the other famous fictional comics newspaper/organization of record, the Daily Planet, hasn't already had a show focused on the press side of things. There's got to be a way to crack that as well, and in terms of escapism it has the further advantage of looking at events happening in fully fictional cities like Metropolis and Gotham.

That's all just wild speculation and theorizing, but it seems like a sensible way to further build out the world of the MCU. It probably won't happen anytime soon though, and I expect it'll take them actually putting out a few poorly reviewed and performing shows or movies in a row for them to want to take a flyer on really anything that's truly "ground level" and has a limited amount of superpowered intrigue.

Everyone posted:

Or MCU X-Files with Kat Dennings and Randall Park investigating weird supers stuff.

I think something like this is way more likely than my newspapery idea, since I'm sure that'd have broader appeal. It's also very smart to start something like this by bringing in characters that are already established in the MCU, and so far it's basically just a brief JJJ cameo on the Newsie front there. And I guess there was some Newsie stuff in the Netflix shows, but I'm sure they won't bring any of that in properly.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 4, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Speaking of news, they used to have a fictional news channel in youtube (hosted by the reporter Tony banged in the first Ironman) and there's a Daily Bugle webpage but they stopped updating both. It sucks because it was fun and interesting.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I’m 100% good with the MCU never acknowledging Agents of Shield or Netflix Marvel stuff and I frankly pray they never ever do a 26 episode serial show.

I’ll take slightly underdeveloped 6-8 episode seasons over the awful bloat of the Netflix Marvel run that doomed several shows. There are some issues with this run of comic book TV, but it is a clear advancement on the Netflix shows which spun their wheels for 4-5 episodes at a time that severely detracted from their stories.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Apparently Pennyworth season 2 came and went without me noticing at all. Was it any good?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

I’m 100% good with the MCU never acknowledging Agents of Shield or Netflix Marvel stuff and I frankly pray they never ever do a 26 episode serial show.

I’ll take slightly underdeveloped 6-8 episode seasons over the awful bloat of the Netflix Marvel run that doomed several shows. There are some issues with this run of comic book TV, but it is a clear advancement on the Netflix shows which spun their wheels for 4-5 episodes at a time that severely detracted from their stories.

Netflix gave us Vincent D'Onofrio absolutely killing it as Kingpin, and I would like to see him reappear at some point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

NowonSA posted:

I think something like this is way more likely than my newspapery idea, since I'm sure that'd have broader appeal. It's also very smart to start something like this by bringing in characters that are already established in the MCU, and so far it's basically just a brief JJJ cameo on the Newsie front there. And I guess there was some Newsie stuff in the Netflix shows, but I'm sure they won't bring any of that in properly.

See, I like to see a "newsie" show in the MCU, but instead of some stuffy "righteous truth-telling" paper of record, I'd want a show centered on some full-on crazy-rear end gonzo tabloid. The MCU version of The Naked Truth. Yes, before she was Madame Secretary, Tea Leoni was Nora Wilde. And she was amazing.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 4, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Apparently Pennyworth season 2 came and went without me noticing at all. Was it any good?

Yeah, it was great and escalated like crazy. It was literally about a civil war in the alterno-UK.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Unkempt posted:

Pennyworth season 2 was worth watching if you liked the original. Season 3 is movie to hbo max. Imo it is the best current dc live action show.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

XboxPants posted:

On this topic, I thought it was a strange choice that they didn't show the TVA actually capturing Loki & Sylvie last episode, just the door opening, as if we should just take their word that the TVA must be pretty impressive. Even though when they actually get in a fight with Sylvie, they've repeatedly shown them getting wrecked.

So then in the same episode, when Sylvie and Loki get in another fight with the TVA, it didn't come across to me as exciting at all. They weren't facing a foe that had been built up to be powerful, that might defeat them. It was more like just waiting for the fight to be over and Loki & Sylvie to win so we could get to the next plot beat.

(Of course, Ravonna did actually end up beating Loki in that tail-end of that scene but the battle itself was pretty one-sided)

The TVA aren’t impressive fighters. They are cops and prison guards. They are a near-infinite bureaucracy. They are a “quantity has its own quality” kind of operation.

The show isn’t really an action show at all. The action sequences that they show on camera are there for character development, specifically to see Loki and Sylvie getting better and better at working together.

I suppose they could have shown the capture when they went through the door (I bet it probably exists on a cutting room floor somewhere) but I think the comedic timing of the jump from certain death to back in the collars worked well.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Reset the timeline.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Now we are all talking cars.

gently caress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

Now we are all talking cars.

gently caress.

Talking cars with our eyes in the windshields and not the headlights, aka the worst kind of anthropomorphic automobile.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The windshield eyes are superior so long as they are absolutely never, ever shown in profile, which is a Cars IP production rule.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Talking cars with our eyes in the windshields and not the headlights, aka the worst kind of anthropomorphic automobile.

One brilliant visual joke in 2 was tossing in a car in some out of the way market stall with headlight eyes and treating the whole idea as totally freaky.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh god, don't get me started on Cars. I had to work officially with that IP for a hot minute and it was baffling all the way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NowonSA posted:

I think you are in the minority, because I don't think the MCU has ever had strong enough world-building to support a show about that kind of tertiary element for most people. All the really interesting parts of the MCU involve super powers of some kind, and if you don't have super powers you barely get any focus. I could compare it to Star Wars, and it's decision to focus on smaller elements like Mandalorians but the difference there is that, even putting aside all the lore that various books and comics invented for them over the years due to fan interest, the original trilogy movies at least made Boba Fett look cool; which is what set that ball in motion in the first place. He didn't get to do anything cool, and if anything, it was the opposite really, but it didn't matter to a lot of people because he looked cool, and had a few badass lines and that was enough on it's own. As far as the majority of people are concerned there is nothing cool looking or seeming about a part of the MCU beyond the parts that involve superpowers akin to the Mandalorians in Star Wars that would hold their interest if someone expanded on it though.

I know there have been a few attempts to do shows like that before, such as the DC show Powerless about some office workers at a Wayne Tech office that even had some decent actors in it, like Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyk. It only got one season of 12 episodes though, and I don't know that I've ever heard a single person mention it even online. I've certainly never heard anyone talk about it in real life. I think She-Hulk being a legal comedy is about the closest you'll get to what you're imagining for a long time, because I just don't think the movies give any focus or even good design or world building to anything that doesn't involve super powers for the general public to care about.

If it is going to happen officially in the MCU then it'll be an action focused thing, because that's basically what the MCU is. It might be an action/drama, action/comedy etc, but there'll be action of some kind during the show regardless. Agents of SHIELD had Agent Coulson to launch it, because he got to be kind of cool in various movies leading up to The Avengers and then go out giving Loki the middle finger in a cool way. I think there was talk about a Wakanda focused TV show in the works too, and that'll presumably involve less superpowers at the very least, while exploring the setting. So that could be something along the lines of what you're talking about. It'll presumably also involve some action by the Dora Milaje though, and between the various tribes too.

doingitwrong posted:

I suppose they could have shown the capture when they went through the door (I bet it probably exists on a cutting room floor somewhere) but I think the comedic timing of the jump from certain death to back in the collars worked well.

Would they even put up a fight? They were both basically after accepting death a in situation they know to be a total apocalypse and that was inescapable to their knowledge; they might just have gone quietly knowing it's the only way out. Sure, they can chafe and plan to escape later but at least they have a later if they accept that imprisonment.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 5, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

tsob posted:

I think you are in the minority, because I don't think the MCU has ever had strong enough world-building to support a show about that kind of tertiary element for most people. All the really interesting parts of the MCU involve super powers of some kind, and if you don't have super powers you barely get any focus. I could compare it to Star Wars, and it's decision to focus on smaller elements like Mandalorians but the difference there is that, even putting aside all the lore that various books and comics invented for them over the years due to fan interest, the original trilogy movies at least made Boba Fett look cool; which is what set that ball in motion in the first place. He didn't get to do anything cool, and if anything, it was the opposite really, but it didn't matter to a lot of people because he looked cool, and had a few badass lines and that was enough on it's own. As far as the majority of people are concerned there is nothing cool looking or seeming about a part of the MCU beyond the parts that involve superpowers akin to the Mandalorians in Star Wars that would hold their interest if someone expanded on it though.

I know there have been a few attempts to do shows like that before, such as the DC show Powerless about some office workers at a Wayne Tech office that even had some decent actors in it, like Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyk. It only got one season of 12 episodes though, and I don't know that I've ever heard a single person mention it even online. I've certainly never heard anyone talk about it in real life. I think She-Hulk being a legal comedy is about the closest you'll get to what you're imagining for a long time, because I just don't think the movies give any focus or even good design or world building to anything that doesn't involve super powers for the general public to care about.

Would they even put up a fight? They were both basically after accepting death a in situation they know to be a total apocalypse and that was inescapable to their knowledge; they might just have gone quietly knowing it's the only way out. Sure, they can chafe and plan to escape later but at least they have a later if they accept that imprisonment.

If they beat up the guards they can take their tempad and escape with it then and there as they've done several times already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

tsob posted:

It's sad Powerless got buried so hard. The pilot got reworked a couple times and the first two episodes that actually broadcast were kinda bad, but then it picked right up and was hilarious by the end of the season. At least they realized they had gold with Tudyk in DC properties and ran with him for others.

It also got a reference in CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths, but then just about every DC live-action show ever did.