Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Basically we need to make the tax on owning multiple properties increase exponentially.

No-one should own more houses than they themselves can live in, it's absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Basically we need to make the tax on owning multiple properties increase exponentially.

Yes, and also rent controls and making landlords pay the council tax

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Umbra Dubium posted:

Wales has tried something in that direction. Welsh councils can put a surcharge of up to 100% on any property used as a second home or long-term vacant. Gwynedd upped the surcharge to the maximum 100% a few months ago.

The problem is that the owners are registering each house individually as a business so that they pay business rates rather than council tax. They then usually qualify for business rate relief, so don't end up paying that either. As each property is registered as a separate business, a lot of people with seven or eight properties ended up trousering a huge amount of covid relief payments and loans, which have gone straight back into buying up more housing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Welsh land reform, comrades

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Why rental property can even be held by businesses is beyond me

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

This is a very good post.

Can I also recommend you look up imposter syndrome and read up on that too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of this combined with some of the role just not being in my wheelhouse (and this was stuff they didn't mention or ask about in interviews). Cause it's a relatively small company though I am just worried that I'll gently caress up and genuinely cost them a lot, same reason I'm wondering if I should quit now rather than later on when me potentially leaving would be harder to recover from rather than continue on when my heart isn't quite in it.

In any case, cheers for the chipping in of advice everyone I've not quoted and the PM offers and stuff (I might take you up on the offer Jakabite).

I won't do anything rash like quit anytime soon, although I am more fortunate than most with a very understanding family and have managed to save quite a bit so far. Going to do some soul searching and try and figure out what I would actually like to do if not this in the future as well.

I honestly think if I could work like, 4 day weeks but slightly longer days and then have a wildcard day off each week that'd probably be enough for me. I think walking around in my local town on Friday made me just really wistful for being able to do that occasionally after a year+ of not being able to really and it'll probably start getting cold again soon enough.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 4, 2021

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I work 80% only. If you can afford it, do it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mano posted:

I work 80% only. If you can afford it, do it

We can't all be loan sharks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:laugh: ty

that's actually not far off how i imagine her to look

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I bought a flat as a leaseholder, and am now staring down the barrel of 100k+ in fire cladding and building safety remediation costs.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ravel posted:

I bought a flat as a leaseholder, and am now staring down the barrel of 100k+ in fire cladding and building safety remediation costs.

:( :respek: :(

developer says builder used wrong materials, builder says they built to developers spec. meanwhile I'm paying for mandatory fire wardens and thermal imaging

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's a fair bit of this combined with some of the role just not being in my wheelhouse (and this was stuff they didn't mention or ask about in interviews). Cause it's a relatively small company though I am just worried that I'll gently caress up and genuinely cost them a lot, same reason I'm wondering if I should quit now rather than later on when me potentially leaving would be harder to recover from rather than continue on when my heart isn't quite in it.

In any case, cheers for the chipping in of advice everyone I've not quoted and the PM offers and stuff (I might take you up on the offer Jakabite).

I won't do anything rash like quit anytime soon, although I am more fortunate than most with a very understanding family and have managed to save quite a bit so far. Going to do some soul searching and try and figure out what I would actually like to do if not this in the future as well.

I honestly think if I could work like, 4 day weeks but slightly longer days and then have a wildcard day off each week that'd probably be enough for me. I think walking around in my local town on Friday made me just really wistful for being able to do that occasionally after a year+ of not being able to really and it'll probably start getting cold again soon enough.

Just to share some of my experience, not necessarily all universal or applicable. Back in 2018 I left academia for pharma after being in a university setting for the previous 16 years (including BSc,MSc,PhD,post-docs and contracts in academic institutes and affiliated labs etc.). I was definitely institutionalised and unready to deal with the level of phony bullshit required in the corporate system, and in the first 6 months I Imposter Syndrome'd pretty hard and was constantly convinced I would be found out for not having a loving clue what i was supposed to do. Eventually I figured out that everyone else was just as stupid as me, learned to embrace ambiguity and just make decisions based on whatever seemed right at the time. I know it's not the same being in a small company (I was in an academic startup just before this job, so I get the unique pressures of a small company).

Tbh it's possible you could benefit from some talk therapy, I probably could have at the time even though I soldiered on regardless. Also, if you're responsible for hiring people you have an opportunity to cultivate "allies" that will both make your work easier and give you a sounding-board/emotional support network. Or yeah you can start looking for a new job.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

I know it's been said a million times but it's absolutely insane that these costs aren't automatically falling on the developers. Or at the very least the freeholder (which is usually the same company anyway).

Then there are warranty providers...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

kecske posted:

:( :respek: :(

developer says builder used wrong materials, builder says they built to developers spec. meanwhile I'm paying for mandatory fire wardens and thermal imaging

Can't be that hard to just look at the spec, no?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Regarding cladding chat, this story popped up on BBC news today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57645976

Apparently, the change is going to be retroactive. Knowing the Tories, there will probably be enough loopholes built into it to render it toothless. Wouldn't want to bankrupt the donors.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

jiggerypokery posted:

Can't be that hard to just look at the spec, no?

you'd think so, and yet here I am in the towering pre-inferno

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just to share some of my experience, not necessarily all universal or applicable. Back in 2018 I left academia for pharma after being in a university setting for the previous 16 years (including BSc,MSc,PhD,post-docs and contracts in academic institutes and affiliated labs etc.). I was definitely institutionalised and unready to deal with the level of phony bullshit required in the corporate system, and in the first 6 months I Imposter Syndrome'd pretty hard and was constantly convinced I would be found out for not having a loving clue what i was supposed to do. Eventually I figured out that everyone else was just as stupid as me, learned to embrace ambiguity and just make decisions based on whatever seemed right at the time. I know it's not the same being in a small company (I was in an academic startup just before this job, so I get the unique pressures of a small company).

Tbh it's possible you could benefit from some talk therapy, I probably could have at the time even though I soldiered on regardless. Also, if you're responsible for hiring people you have an opportunity to cultivate "allies" that will both make your work easier and give you a sounding-board/emotional support network. Or yeah you can start looking for a new job.

I always thought one of the best things about having a PhD out in 'the real world' is I could ask the 'stupid' questions in meetings when the speakers made no sense and see the look of relief all round the table as there was a collective inner sigh of 'phew - if she doesn't get it, I'm not stupid!' from everyone else who didn't get it either but who had been nodding along sagely. There is a LOT of bullshit out in Corporate Land.

minema
May 31, 2011
I can't stop reading mega pessimistic poo poo about climate change and it's really loving me up but I can't stop! I can usually put it to the back of my head and just accept it but the last few weeks it's been very all consuming. Stupid because if the most pessimistic views were right in the end it'd be way better to enjoy my life now while I can! Any advice from anyone?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I always thought one of the best things about having a PhD out in 'the real world' is I could ask the 'stupid' questions in meetings when the speakers made no sense and see the look of relief all round the table as there was a collective inner sigh of 'phew - if she doesn't get it, I'm not stupid!' from everyone else who didn't get it either but who had been nodding along sagely. There is a LOT of bullshit out in Corporate Land.

For sure. Of course, the majority of people in my office have PhDs so it's not that much of a USP, but still. One of my current favourite conversational gambits when I'm called on in meetings is to just be like "Yeah that sounds good, I have nothing intelligent to add right now" - implying that (a) there will be other times when I have intelligent things to say (b) I am a confident judge of the worth of my own ideas and pronouncements, and (c) I am not seeking external validation. Taking that kind of approach has been pretty good for faking my way through, but also has become something I've internalised. Maybe when I gently caress it all in, I'll write an awful self-help book.

Also WFH has given me much more room for daytime posting, watching football, and taking naps with my dog. I believe in a 4day work week even if my employer does not.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 4, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

minema posted:

I can't stop reading mega pessimistic poo poo about climate change and it's really loving me up but I can't stop! I can usually put it to the back of my head and just accept it but the last few weeks it's been very all consuming. Stupid because if the most pessimistic views were right in the end it'd be way better to enjoy my life now while I can! Any advice from anyone?

Are you in government, a position of power or a wealthy billionaire? If so there is gently caress all you can do about it but vote and encourage others to vote. Destroying yourself from worry won't fix it, it'll just destroy yourself. Help others where you can, donate time and or money to charities and others that need it and do your best to make your bit of the world a better place for everyone you touch . That way you can find some semblance of zen before the fiery apocalypse consumes us all. (it won't get mad max til our grandchildren... So maybe don't have them)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

minema posted:

Well one option is to simply stop reading climate change stuff, and a lot of people do that because yeah it's horrifying.

But if you want to stay informed (which means being horrified) and develop an attitude for dealing with it, then I find it helps to take the long view of the planet: it's gonna die some time, what does it matter if it dies sooner than in a billion years? If anything it is a privilege for us to be alive at this time, the end of all things.

But it depends on what your specific concerns are really.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have you tried reading the Bitesize benefits of climate change? It's going to be great for the microbiota that will consume our corpses.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

minema posted:

Join a campaign group. Write poo poo about campaign groups being pointless and useless on the internet.

Build strong community ties. Learn to cultivate your own food. Plan which of your neighbours to eat first.

edit: Really? There is a grieving process, and it takes time to accept. Don't stress that you can't find a simple answer.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

...I find it helps to take the long view of the planet: it's gonna die some time, what does it matter if it dies sooner than in a billion years? If anything it is a privilege for us to be alive at this time, the end of all things.

Eh, the world itself will be fine... unliveable for many of the species currently on it, but there will be new ones!

I'd work on making sure you leave a cool fossil for when the Blarg exhume you in a million years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another great reason why we should rewild the Fens.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Eh, the world itself will be fine... unliveable for many of the species currently on it, but there will be new ones!

I'd work on making sure you leave a cool fossil for when the Blarg exhume you in a million years.

The fossils of the future are going to be so boring. Other than elephants and giraffes there won't be much that really blows people's minds or gets a movie series made about it.

I hope they get some stuff wildly wrong like we did with dinosaurs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My eye condition having accelerated to the point where it's a real problem, Moorfields is putting in for a Certificate of Visual Impairment for me. They give you all kinds of reading material, sort of 'here are the benefits, here's what it means' stuff and 'support with sight loss' stuff, all very good. But my goodness the paperwork is very careful not to imply you might be entitled to anything from the government. They're terrified someone will assume they might get money to live on and quit working for the trivial reason of 'am now really quite blind'. The overall tone is cautiously supportive but every other page is 'YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY BENEFITS JUST BECAUSE YOU HOLD A CVI'. loving hell, calm down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

My eye condition having accelerated to the point where it's a real problem, Moorfields is putting in for a Certificate of Visual Impairment for me. They give you all kinds of reading material, sort of 'here are the benefits, here's what it means' stuff and 'support with sight loss' stuff, all very good. But my goodness the paperwork is very careful not to imply you might be entitled to anything from the government. They're terrified someone will assume they might get money to live on and quit working for the trivial reason of 'am now really quite blind'. The overall tone is cautiously supportive but every other page is 'YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY BENEFITS JUST BECAUSE YOU HOLD A CVI'. loving hell, calm down.

That is a bit bleak.

Hope you are doing okay Hopper!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HopperUK posted:

That's a bummer. Can you keep doing your job? (You work in a pharmacy IIRC?)

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

minema posted:

Not sure what your scale for mega-pessimistic is. By my understanding, there are two distinct bad cases, and it helps to keep them separate:

1. Something something clathrates, everyone dies. If this happens, it happens; it is more or less the same as being hit by an asteroid.

2. Globally, we keep getting terrible governments who do nothing or make things worse, like the Indian or Brazilian responses to COVID. So the world ticks on in a steady cycle of mass deaths, temporary fix and back to complacency. Eventually either we get a functioning government, or lose the ability to build and maintain machines.

So if you write off the first case, it just boils down to if we get lovely governments, things will be poo poo. But that is not a new thing; any number of 20C governments were quite capable of making their citizens lives a living hell without any help from the weather.

Politics is the art of avoiding such governments.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
uurururgh hullo brutush young peopul i am very hup and wuth ut i listen to b-wutched and robert wulliums pop songs and i huv a tumagotchi, i feed ut wut uuuuggggsss urururghghghghg hggghhg hghh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Politics is the art of avoiding such governments.
If we're going by 20th c. bad governments then there's also the arts of bicycle repair and toolsmithing, for when state politics fails.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Are... Are you OK Crispix?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

If we're going by 20th c. bad governments then there's also the arts of bicycle repair and toolsmithing, for when state politics fails.

look how sassy that frenchmin background right :nyd:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mebh posted:

Are... Are you OK Crispix?

90's poisoning. Tragic, really.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/04/johnson-set-to-press-on-with-plans-for-greater-control-over-nhs?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Some fun bedtime reading. Looks like we're off to a good start.

At least they ruled out loving Dido Harding as the new NHS boss.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Javid is going to Fountainhead a hospital like the joker before the next election.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mebh posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/04/johnson-set-to-press-on-with-plans-for-greater-control-over-nhs?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Some fun bedtime reading. Looks like we're off to a good start.

At least they ruled out loving Dido Harding as the new NHS boss.

This doesn't sound so terrib

quote:

However, the British Medical Association, the doctors’ union, warned that it could lead to the new integrated care systems (ICSes) offering large contracts to private firms without any tendering process, in a repeat of the “Tory cronies” scandal, involving billions of pounds of deals for personal protective equipment (PPE) for NHS staff, seen during the Covid pandemic.

Oh.

minema
May 31, 2011
thanks for the kind words people, until a few years ago I used to struggle with obsessional OCD and I think the similar thought patterns are creeping in on me and taking my brain over again, except this time there's actually something worth worrying about so my usual coping mechanisms don't work

HopperUK posted:

my sister just got her CVI after her latest Moorfields visit too, so far she uses it as a way to try and make us go easy on her in games when she's losing. she's got RP and seems hopeful about all the treatments being researched right now at least, anything like that being developed for your condition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

A Homer or a Boomhauer.

Neither of which would be able to afford their houses in the 20s, so instead we get apples and onions collecting rent for racist falafels.

I’m confused now, and also vaguely hungry.