Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lucky Strike was definitely a bit full of herself but I get being mad at a key member of the group just up and leaving without the courtesy of giving some time to find a replacement.
I'm sure there were some underlying issues, Racter by his own admission hates being disorganised and the other team members were set in their way and not likely to change.

Also :anarchists::hf::anarchists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bewilderment posted:

I assume he basically left with no warning, possibly even with runs they'd already planned. Breaking a deal without warning is pretty rude - Shadowrunners expect to be dicked around and ghosted by the people ghosting them, not by their teammates.
Yeah, he got the news, started packing and ghosted the crew the very next day, quite possibly a day where they were scheduled for a run and had to suddenly do it down their rigger. That sorta unexpected change gets Runners killed.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JT Jag posted:

That sorta unexpected change gets Runners killed.

Which is why anarchy isn't a viable team philosophy.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cool, they made Elon Musk Big Yud an insufferable Silicon Valley techbro into a playable companion!

Is there a way to have Gaichu eat him? I'm willing to write the mod myself if there isn't.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Comrade Koba posted:

Cool, they made Elon Musk Big Yud an insufferable Silicon Valley techbro into a playable companion!

Is there a way to have Gaichu eat him? I'm willing to write the mod myself if there isn't.

Racter actually builds things himself.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah, as much as Racter's beliefs and personality might remind you of the common tech bro douch he is actively and personally developing new and exciting tech.
He isn't a Woz or a Stallman but he sure as poo poo not Steve Jobs.

Wait Stallman said what?!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I also get the vibe from Racter that he's a genuine polymath, not just an expert in STEM. His love for dead languages and Russian folklore and ancient history suggest to me that he cares about the humanities as much as science, which means he's not going to fall into the traditional transhumanist techbro trap of trying to push in a philosophy-shaped screw with a science-shaped hammer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If the big Yufkowski shows us anything it's that the people on top of the suggestively shaped techbro monolith are always the scammers.
Strange weirdos who actually do things tend to stay mostly out of the spot light.

And I don't see Racter as the schmoozing and dealing sort of person.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Racter has more intense mad scientist vibes that Adrian Vauclair, and that's saying something.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 5, 2021

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
The inclusion of more well-written companions over SRR was one of the best improvements HBS made as they went along. I can't even remember any other runners from the first game (besides Coyote). I'm glad that Kanfy is including the after-action reports for all folks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Whybird posted:

I also get the vibe from Racter that he's a genuine polymath, not just an expert in STEM. His love for dead languages and Russian folklore and ancient history suggest to me that he cares about the humanities as much as science, which means he's not going to fall into the traditional transhumanist techbro trap of trying to push in a philosophy-shaped screw with a science-shaped hammer.

he is also an excellent example of my old observation that learning the humanities doesnt change your lovely behavior for fuckall. peter thiel has more philosophical and ethical training than 99.9% of all people (philosophy undergrad, law degree)! did it make him any more ethical?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Racter has more intense mad scientist vibes that Adrian Vauclair, and that's saying something.

There are definitely very few RPG companions who tick as many "this guy's 100% the main villain" boxes without actually being a villain or otherwise an openly evil character, something that'll only become more evident as we learn a couple more things about his nature later down the line.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Having followed all of these LPs, I've realised that Returns' biggest flaw was simply 'not being Dragonfall or Hong Kong'. It's one of those games that's good but then looks worse because the sequels surpass it. That's genuinely a good thing in many ways - game series should get better with more practice - but a little perspective would be nice too.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

he is also an excellent example of my old observation that learning the humanities doesnt change your lovely behavior for fuckall. peter thiel has more philosophical and ethical training than 99.9% of all people (philosophy undergrad, law degree)! did it make him any more ethical?

Some people are just lovely people inherently, and combined with societies that laud greedy, self-interested behaviour we end up with people like that. That's bad enough, but then we are told that these are people to be admired and respected because they have dedicated their lives to accruing far more wealth than they could ever need off the backs of others. It's as insulting as having someone cut off my hand, punch me in the groin with it and then tell me that I should applaud them for such a clean cut and accurate punch.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Philosophers study the humanities to better understand themselves and the human condition.
Shithead rich men study to feel superior.

Thankfully Racter feels closer to the first group, but His future behaviour might depend on the choices his employer and teammates make.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 5, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Racter doesn't seem the type to give two weeks notice. He's a great character, but I'd never ever want to meet him, much less work with him.

I love all the companions on our rusting scow. We absolutely need to bring Gaichu with us every time we're going someplace public.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Racter is somehow more reliable than Blitz - on the job/in the field - and less reliable than Blitz - in that he'll vanish without a moment's notice if something better comes along.

That's impressive in its own way. They did a fantastic job selling you on "this guy is opportunistic as gently caress and the only reason you shouldn't be afraid of him is because he's no more likely to screw you over than your fixer.

As long as you keep being useful, they keep being useful.

habeasdorkus posted:

I love all the companions on our rusting scow. We absolutely need to bring Gaichu with us every time we're going someplace public.

Given the Red Samurai armor and the entire Ghoul Look, I suspect it's not entirely unlike being in a squad with Michael Jackson circa Thriller.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I get the feeling that Racter bailing on his old crew without warning had as much to do with their... personality conflicts as it did the circumstances.

Edit: Hang on. Gaichu says the Flux State is dead, but Racter said he's only been running for like a year. ...did Racter cut and run at exactly the right time to not get utterly obliterated by SK's takeover?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 5, 2021

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

KataraniSword posted:

Racter is somehow more reliable than Blitz - on the job/in the field - and less reliable than Blitz - in that he'll vanish without a moment's notice if something better comes along.

That's impressive in its own way. They did a fantastic job selling you on "this guy is opportunistic as gently caress and the only reason you shouldn't be afraid of him is because he's no more likely to screw you over than your fixer.

As long as you keep being useful, they keep being useful.

To be fair it's not like that's unique here. Gobbet and is0bel might feel bad about afterwards it but if it came down to supporting you or really pissing off Auntie Cheng they'd chain you up and toss you in the water themselves. Gaichu's certainly aware that the same applies to him. And even Duncan isn't exactly a fan of Taz these days.

This is a team held together entirely by outside circumstance and everyone involved is aware of that.

girl dick energy posted:

Edit: Hang on. Gaichu says the Flux State is dead, but Racter said he's only been running for like a year. ...did Racter cut and run at exactly the right time to not get utterly obliterated by SK's takeover?
Pretty much. He was still in Berlin in Dragonfall after all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Racter does seem like the kind of guy intelligent and opportunistic enough to know which way the wind is blowing and bolting right before the poo poo hits the fan.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the funny thing is, i know a lotta competent technology touchers, i know a lotta transhumanists, and the intersection between them in real life is p small.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

A printer from 2004 is already way past the acceptable threshold; printers shouldn't have 100MBs worth of drivers running in kernel mode full of garbage no one uses. They shouldn't use USB and all the possible attacks that entails, they should be using Centronics connectors like God intended, and above all they should make hellish noises heard 3 rooms away whenever in use to make sure they never sneak up on you. Only dot matrix printers check all boxes.

Also you couldn't pay me enough to participate in the endless Sisyphean nightmare that is infosec; that part is correct.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Infosec, info-sec!
*maniacal laughter for several minutes*
Infosec:thunkgun:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

By popular demand posted:

Infosec, info-sec!
*maniacal laughter for several minutes*

“But Doctor, I am in infosec.” :smith:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

A printer from 2004 is already way past the acceptable threshold; printers shouldn't have 100MBs worth of drivers running in kernel mode full of garbage no one uses. They shouldn't use USB and all the possible attacks that entails, they should be using Centronics connectors like God intended, and above all they should make hellish noises heard 3 rooms away whenever in use to make sure they never sneak up on you. Only dot matrix printers check all boxes.

Also you couldn't pay me enough to participate in the endless Sisyphean nightmare that is infosec; that part is correct.

We bought a printer recently and it was a horrible experience. I just want something to plug into my router and puts stuff on paper, none of this ~helpful reminders to buy approved inks only~ bs :argh:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
a lot of these problems are feature creep caused by needing to justify your continued employment by adding new bells and whistles to an already serviceable product
simply continuing to sell the same product, occasionally updated to work with newer systems, would require a much smaller staff
so UIs are hosed with, features nobody wants are added, and project managers tell their bosses "look we got out a new version for the next financial quarter"
that's capitalism!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

StillFullyTerrible posted:

a lot of these problems are feature creep caused by needing to justify your continued employment by adding new bells and whistles to an already serviceable product
simply continuing to sell the same product, occasionally updated to work with newer systems, would require a much smaller staff
so UIs are hosed with, features nobody wants are added, and project managers tell their bosses "look we got out a new version for the next financial quarter"
that's capitalism!

And bug fixing, making the code more maintainable, or even becoming more skilled as a developer don't count as things justifying future employment.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

When I ran out of color ink and wanted to print some BW stuff I struggled with preferences for more than an hour until a child on youtube showed me how to cover the ink level windows on the cartridges with tape to fool the loving machine and bypass the replace ink message.

Don't ever let me loose at the Brother offices, I will not be held responsible for my actions.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I keep a medieval Greek monk chained to a lectern beside my desk to hand-print all my important work documents.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Don't forget to keep the room lit only with candle light for that gradual ocular acuity degeneration.

You need to replace the monks more often that way but there's no substitute for authenticity.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Still cheaper and easier than an inkjet.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

When I ran out of color ink and wanted to print some BW stuff I struggled with preferences for more than an hour until a child on youtube showed me how to cover the ink level windows on the cartridges with tape to fool the loving machine and bypass the replace ink message.

Don't ever let me loose at the Brother offices, I will not be held responsible for my actions.

I'm furious that I learned about this trick from this post. That poo poo has driven me insane for years.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Great! You drive us to the offices and I'll procure the extremely vicious collection of scalpels with which we will write our polite complaints on quivering flesh.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Racter is definitely an amazing character but the last person I'd be friends with in real life. And the reasons for that will just keep growing in number as we get to know him better.

He's definitely the perfect person for Sixth World life in general and Shadowrunning in particular (though he clearly sees it only as a means to further his research), and he knows it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 6, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

StillFullyTerrible posted:

that's capitalism!

Part of me can't blame anyone for trying to maintain their paycheck without which they would literally die, but it is definitely an indictment of private ownership of production and profit seeking. Certainly can't just relax a bit until something else is needed, we have to keep making more bigger numbers for parasitic shareholders so that we can eat next week!

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Want to hear something funny?
Brother is one of the better ones.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It seems that you got some story to tell friend and it will be a while until the next update so :justpost:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I pray daily for whatever gods may be to smite Hewlett-Packard from this Earth.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I used to have a color printer. One day HP did a "firmware update" that made it stop printing black ink. Did a factory reset, and suddenly it worked fine again. Years later I realized I had printed 3 documents in 3 years and threw it into an abandoned quarry.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
One time in a past campaign my players were raiding a syndicate's stash house and found a safe. The party decker asked if the safe was wireless. I said "That's completely idiotic. What's the point of a wireless safe? It adds no functionality and opens up massive security holes. All a safe needs to be is a tough metal box with a combination lock on it.
Of course it's wireless. Roll Computer+Sleaze."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I once played in a short lived game where we had to save the world from a robot uprising courtesy of a hewlett packard ai malfunctioning and going hostile on all life.