Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Syrnn posted:

In the end, Trek guns shouldn't really matter this much. It's not really what Gene's Vision™ is about, and they're going up against the ZF-1 for tacticoolest sci-fi gun. Instead, let's get a shoutout to the design team for sticking to their guns on these bad boys. It's just so ergonomic:

You could at least moderately injure someone with one of those. I rate it a 5.5 on the Adama scale of flashlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you can beam down a red shirt with a phaser you can beam down one of those drones from Insurrection. Was that one of the last instances of Trek predicting a device that would soon become real?

Small military drones have been a big deal in Ukraine and Azerbaijan/ Armenia.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Syrnn posted:

In the end, Trek guns shouldn't really matter this much. It's not really what Gene's Vision™ is about, and they're going up against the ZF-1 for tacticoolest sci-fi gun. Instead, let's get a shoutout to the design team for sticking to their guns on these bad boys. It's just so ergonomic:

Is it my imagination or did they eventually switch to one strapped to your hand?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

They sketched up just such a thing! It turns out that a weapon composed primarily of grip is so much not like a weapon that it doesn't convey any kind of threat or menace at all. It's like you're pointing a fancy doctor's office ear scope at someone.

To be fair, being zero threat pointing an ear scope kinda fits the Starfleet mood.

That said, imo the two larger drawings of the pistols there work really well, but were probably too gunlike.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Is it my imagination or did they eventually switch to one strapped to your hand?

Yup, Voyager had a big bulky one that strapped to your wrist and had to be held straight out to see anything.

So dumb.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Star Trek Online has little flashlights that hover behind your shoulder and illuminate whatever you're looking at, hands free.

Because that was cheaper to do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Syrnn posted:

Wait, why's Picard being an rear end in a top hat and just shining that thing right at eye level into someone's face?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait, why's Picard being an rear end in a top hat and just shining that thing right at eye level into someone's face?

He finally found the fifth light

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nine-gear crow posted:

Because they're strung out on some new VR package Riker brought back from a second-string sex planet.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Syrnn posted:

By the standards of the early 1990s, those portable lights very bright. Flashlights in those days gave weak illumination, we've been spoiled by high-power LEDs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yup, Voyager had a big bulky one that strapped to your wrist and had to be held straight out to see anything.

So dumb.

From the action figures, I know that this was called a SIMS beacon.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So the Romulans left Vulcan after Surak's revolution in the 4th century AD, which means their races is about 2,000 years old by the time of TNG. In the TNG episode "The Enemy", Dr Crusher says that Romulans are not exactly like Vulcans, there are enough differences to make treating her injured Romulan difficult. 2,000 years is not enough time for a species to diverge. Romulans should be totally like Vulcans.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Based on what we know of exactly one planet and the species thereon, which all share a common heritage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurzon posted:

So the Romulans left Vulcan after Surak's revolution in the 4th century AD, which means their races is about 2,000 years old by the time of TNG. In the TNG episode "The Enemy", Dr Crusher says that Romulans are not exactly like Vulcans, there are enough differences to make treating her injured Romulan difficult. 2,000 years is not enough time for a species to diverge. Romulans should be totally like Vulcans.

Maybe they diverged millions of years ago and are like cro magnon vs humans, but they sharey a planet, but the Romulans decided to actually leave 2000 years ago

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Terror Sweat posted:

He finally found the fifth light

(In Bullock voice)

"How did the Cardassians know I kept this here? I never tell a soul about my secret lights!

Number One? You haven't breathed a word to anyone of my... *secret lights*?

...jolly good! Then let's get down to Ten Forward and rail synthaine off my woolly chest!"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maybe they diverged millions of years ago and are like cro magnon vs humans, but they sharey a planet, but the Romulans decided to actually leave 2000 years ago

Maybe vulcans changed their DNA with telepathy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe Romulans hosed some Remans.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Interfering with my post is a violation of the Prime Directive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2000 years is enough time if you assume some steep founder effects.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Now imagining the ancestors of every single Romulan all leaving Vulcan together in a little three-seater shuttle.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kurzon posted:

By the standards of the early 1990s, those portable lights very bright. Flashlights in those days gave weak illumination, we've been spoiled by high-power LEDs.

I remember reading somewhere that they couldn't actually power the prop with batteries (as you say, it was way too bright) so there was a long power cable running up the actor's sleeve and out the bottom of their pant leg to plug into the wall.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

MikeJF posted:

Romulans must breed like rabbits if they can go from a tiny founding population to an interstellar empire that outnumbers the original Vulcans.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Vulcans are clearly genetically augmented. Physically and mentally superior? Check. Dangerously passionate, to the point of murderous rages? Check.

Romulans, meanwhile, seem to have none of these traits, and are presumably the unenhanced 'baseline' Vulcans, forced into exile after Vulcan's own Eugenics Wars ended.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kurzon posted:

Romulans must breed like rabbits if they can go from a tiny founding population to an interstellar empire that outnumbers the original Vulcans.

Well, they had just escaped from a culture that only fucks once every seven years, so

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, they had just escaped from a culture that only fucks once every seven years, so

When you put it that way, it's pretty amazing that Vulcans can retain control of their emotions when they only get some every seven years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe crazy space stuff and living on a very different planet could speed up genetic drift.

There's been very little exploration of stuff what else Vulcans got up to during their days of ancient space exploration.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Maybe they could do what they did for Klingons in Enterprise and say that the Romulans contracted some virus that altered their genome and gave them all bumpy foreheads (god I hate that episode, why couldn't they just pretend that Klingons always had bumpy foreheads?).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kurzon posted:

It was that brief alliance mentioned in TOS -- the Klingons got cloaking tech, the Romulans got D-7s and forehead ridges.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Little known fact, the D' in D'deridex stands for "dooj"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kurzon posted:

Maybe they could do what they did for Klingons in Enterprise and say that the Romulans contracted some virus that altered their genome and gave them all bumpy foreheads (god I hate that episode, why couldn't they just pretend that Klingons always had bumpy foreheads?).

They really should have had Worf inexplicably look like TOS Klingons when he was on the station and never acknowledged it in dialogue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kurzon posted:

In Star Trek Picard they have both bumpy Romulans and non-bumpy Romulans and apparently the bumpy ones are 'northerners'.

Which is a good a handwave as any.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It would be more interesting if Klingon was a cultural signifier rather than a species. To be a Klingon requires performing the correct rituals, observing the correct practices, and generally being a beligerant rear end in a top hat most of the time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MikeJF posted:

In Star Trek Picard they have both bumpy Romulans and non-bumpy Romulans and apparently the bumpy ones are 'northerners'.

Which is a good a handwave as any.

I absolutely loved that bit, because its the only time in star trek I can think of that has regional variety within a species (the northerners being allegedly stubborn) as well as real-world non-generic-english/american accents for aliens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It would be more interesting if Klingon was a cultural signifier rather than a species. To be a Klingon requires performing the correct rituals, observing the correct practices, and generally being a beligerant rear end in a top hat most of the time.

Or just an expression of hegemony. Like how all citizens of the Roman Empire were “Romans” even if they lived right up against Hadrian’s Wall. Every species under the Klingon Empire is a “Klingon”… whether they want to be or not.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nine-gear crow posted:

Or just an expression of hegemony. Like how all citizens of the Roman Empire were “Romans” even if they lived right up against Hadrian’s Wall. Every species under the Klingon Empire is a “Klingon”… whether they want to be or not.

Yeah exactly. Like, the OG Klingons would have more political power because that's how imperialism works, but conquered people who put up a good fight before bending the knee, then raised their kids to follow the Empire's rules and rituals would be considered Klingon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Vulcans are clearly genetically augmented. Physically and mentally superior? Check. Dangerously passionate, to the point of murderous rages? Check.

Romulans, meanwhile, seem to have none of these traits, and are presumably the unenhanced 'baseline' Vulcans, forced into exile after Vulcan's own Eugenics Wars ended.

Vulcans also have a lot of adaptations that are specific to living in an irradiated postnuclear desert, adaptations that Romulans lack.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I absolutely loved that bit, because its the only time in star trek I can think of that has regional variety within a species (the northerners being allegedly stubborn) as well as real-world non-generic-english/american accents for aliens.

Yeah I haven't really watched Picard but that's actually a great explanation.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That there exists a category of "proto-Vulcans" like the Mintakans lends credence to the idea that Arretans did in fact seed a bunch of 'Vulcanoids' across the galaxy... Meaning that Vulcans did not originate from Vulcan.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Little known fact, the D' in D'deridex stands for "dooj"

Unfortunately their intercom blares a very annoying siren whenever a key system is down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hey yall I'm watching Nemesis and this movie is loving terrible