Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would hang out with diogenes and eat chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Borrovan posted:

Nihilism is just absurdism but stopping before you get to the conclusion

Nihilism does seem like something we are going to have to confront as a species. The hunt for finding meaning, how we define meaning etc.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^that's what absurdism is for!!

OwlFancier posted:

I would hang out with diogenes and choke the chicken.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Pot Noodle tastes like shredded cardboard with dried up peas they found down the back of a radiator, if there isn't a stigma against whatever Faustian pact it takes to make your taste buds tolerate them then there loving should be.

The broth deffo has all the flavour but that's fine.

The Myth of Sisyphus should be taught in primary school

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absurdism is very good yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It would never work out. He's looking for an honest man.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The music industry is saved:

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1304038190173614085

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never heard you say this but it definitely tracks as my primary school did show and tell as a semi-regular thing and, well, my posting.

Seconding this, we did it every week and now the only skill I’ve ever really used is ‘talking good’

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I don't know much about absurdism beyond the art. Is it just "things are weird, lol"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think philosophically it goes

Nihilism: Life has no inhernet meaning (I am sad about this)
Absurdism: Life has no inherent meaning (so any meaning you make up is as valid as any meaning possibly can be, lmao)

The idea essentially that in the absence of meaning human behaviour is absurd, but we shouldn't be angsty about that because in the absence of imposed meaning we are free to develop our own, and we should develop meanings that make us happy.

Existentialism is somewhere in the middle of those two but I forget the specific distinctions.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 6, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

I was helping a friend clear out some rubbish the other day and she threw out (into charity boxes) all her philosophy books except nietzche and hume while proclaiming that nothing else was worth reading especially wittgenstein.

I don't know enough philosophy to comment except that every time I try to read it my eyes glaze over and I start screaming after a few sentences.

Your post reminds me of this:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Absurdism: Life has no inherent meaning (so any meaning you make up is as valid as any meaning possibly can be, lmao)

The idea essentially that in the absence of meaning human behaviour is absurd, but we shouldn't be angsty about that because in the absence of imposed meaning we are free to develop our own, and we should develop meanings that make us happy.

I think that's more properly existentialism. Absurdism is more preoccupied with, well, the absurd.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Absurdism is for cowards who believe in stuff like "essence" and "authenticity" and are unwilling to face the void for real

E I suppose I'm having more of a go at Sartre than, like, Camus here, so as above, pretend I said Existentialism

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah basically it's "stop trying to find meaning & just make your own, live your life, it's fine"

forkboy84 posted:

(well worth a read Josef, he doesn't write as wankily as most philosophers either)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that's more properly existentialism. Absurdism is more preoccupied with, well, the absurd.

Wikipedia apparently has a helpful chart!

Nihilism: No

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

From past experience I would disagree. I can want to be a good person and still make folks uncomfortable or upset. If you just make up your own meaning then what if you are wrong

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

It would never work out. He's looking for an honest man.
In some readings, just a man, because he doesn't think any of the people he meets at the market do enough strong brainthoughts to qualify. Big 'sheeple' energy.

Antigravitas posted:

Your post reminds me of this:

:sever:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Absurdism:

a thread that lurches from Hegel to Marx through Pot Noodles via dolls' houses, Labour woes and the housing crisis all in 24 hours.

So happy I found you :D

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As a noodle connoisseur, shin ramyun is a solid pick. Indomie Mie Goreng is also a classic.

Samyang spicy noodles are VERY spicy but they're also loving delicious.

Sam yang are the angry chicken noodles right? Yeah theyr the best just too spicy

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Spinoza in 'normie' is very unsettling.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

Absurdism is for cowards who believe in stuff like "essence" and "authenticity" and are unwilling to face the void for real

E I suppose I'm having more of a go at Sartre than, like, Camus here, so as above, pretend I said Existentialism

I would bet you can't face the void either and have replaced it with an empty paper bag with the word 'void' written on it in crayon. Philosophically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

From past experience I would disagree. I can want to be a good person and still make folks uncomfortable or upset. If you just make up your own meaning then what if you are wrong

Then you are wrong, and plenty of people manage to be wrong while believing in objective truth and meaning, it doesn't seem to be a big help, possibly because I would suggest that if there is an objective truth and meaning then humans at the very least are not capable of accessing it, so we are left either way to fend for ourselves.

If you want meaning you're fumbling in the dark looking for it whatever you do, so IMO letting go of the expectation of finding it is important for helping make the inevitable failures more bearable as well as helping to contextualise the successes as very impressive, given the circumstances.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 6, 2021

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

In some readings, just a man, because he doesn't think any of the people he meets at the market do enough strong brainthoughts to qualify. Big 'sheeple' energy.

:sever:

I like this chart because I think it's saying Camus is good (which he is). It also seems to be saying Rand is bad. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Absurdism:

a thread that lurches from Hegel to Marx through Pot Noodles via dolls' houses, Labour woes and the housing crisis all in 24 hours.

So happy I found you :D
Got to say I really enjoyed seeing this post, making perfect sense in context:

forkboy84 posted:

The broth deffo has all the flavour but that's fine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Foucault under "soy" is also deeply suspect.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would bet you can't face the void either and have replaced it with an empty paper bag with the word 'void' written on it in crayon. Philosophically.

Who the gently caress said I wasn't a coward, dickhead

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Finally found the thing I was actually looking for!

I think that settles the absurdism/nihilism debate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd say that absurdism is an offshoot of existentialism. Existentialism says "there is meaning but is not inherent, it's what we ascribe meaning to", absurdism takes it a step further: "death renders all meaning futile, but that doesn't mean you should strive to find it anyway". This leaves you with a couple options: suicide, an act of embracing that meaningless, "a leap of faith" to find meaning elsewhere, ie religious faith, or acknowledging the absurdity of that existence and revolting against the that meaninglessness, where lies a philosophical freedom. Coming to peace with the absurdity in life/existence allows you to reach a state comparable to a zen inner peace. Hence why "one must imagine Sisyphus as happy".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

an empty paper bag with the word 'void' written on it in crayon
The contents of Keir Starmer's briefcase.

josh04 posted:

Foucault under "soy" is also deeply suspect.
As Zizek said of any successful philosophy media hot dog meme, I suspect it is more to provoke than describe. Toxic row/column both check out though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guavanaut posted:

As Zizek said of any successful philosophy media hot dog meme, I suspect it is more to provoke than describe. Toxic row/column both check out though.

Soy Schopenhauer/Toxic Schopenhauer fans is particularly on the money, lol.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Nihilism: No

I like the Russian Nihilists of the 19th century, they killed Tsars & poo poo. One day I will read Chernyshevsky's What Is To Be Done?

But yes, "Nihilism: no" is about as succinct summary of a philosophical position as I've seen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah talking more about it I am remembering the distinction better, and the issue I mainly would take with existentialism is that if you spend all your time constructing meaning then when the world, as it is liable to do, kicks over your sandcastle, it is really hard to recover from.

It is useful to be able to laugh at just how... ridiculous it is, there is no objective meaning, you spend a lot of effort trying to make it, but it all comes to dust anyway. But you still don't stop doing it.

I guess spending so much of my life dealing with suicidal impulses makes it hit home a bit more, cos it sometimes feels like a description of my life. I don't really know why I am doing it, I know full well there's no divinely mandated reason for me to do it, I can't even know if the reasons I construct to do it are worthwhile and I definitely know I will end up in the same place regardless, eventually, but for some reason I still keep doing it and I still keep imagining that there is a reason why.

It is absurd, ridiculous, but as long as I am here I don't know that I would really want it to be otherwise. Sisyphus indeed.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I'd say that absurdism is an offshoot of existentialism. Existentialism says "there is meaning but is not inherent, it's what we ascribe meaning to", absurdism takes it a step further: "death renders all meaning futile, but that doesn't mean you should strive to find it anyway". This leaves you with a couple options: suicide, an act of embracing that meaningless, "a leap of faith" to find meaning elsewhere, ie religious faith, or acknowledging the absurdity of that existence and revolting against the that meaninglessness, where lies a philosophical freedom. Coming to peace with the absurdity in life/existence allows you to reach a state comparable to a zen inner peace. Hence why "one must imagine Sisyphus as happy".

This + meditation cured* my depression, I highly recommend it!

*mostly treated the symptoms of

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'd be down with absurdism if it wasn't death that rendered it all meaningless. I don't think death does render life meaningless, or obliterate the meaning it had - to me the meaning lives on past the person, but only so far as society does. Some people's actions have meaning thousands of years past their deaths, and sadly the meaning of some people's lives is completely extinguished only a short time after, if it existed ever. That's not a judgement of their value, just how I see meaning. So I'd go with absurdism if it was less death that was the endpoint of meaning and more 'an endpoint will ALWAYS come eventually, so don't worry too much about it'. If there's one thing the last couple of years has shown is that life really is just chaos - no real rhyme or reason outside of the fragile structures we create. I think that's maybe why conspiracy people go that way - even if the people pulling the strings are evil, poo poo, at least someone's pulling the strings and it's not just a load of haunted marionettes caught in a hurricane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The point of existentialism is that if you're wrong about what gives joy and fulfilment to you and those you care about, then you're just wrong, nothing more. You can learn from your mistakes and find something better, and the act of learning is also a perfectly acceptable way to give your life meaning and purpose. If your life only has the value you give it, then so do your mistakes - there is no objective measure of sin for you to weigh yourself against and find yourself wanting.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I'd be down with absurdism if it wasn't death that rendered it all meaningless. I don't think death does render life meaningless, or obliterate the meaning it had - to me the meaning lives on past the person, but only so far as society does. Some people's actions have meaning thousands of years past their deaths, and sadly the meaning of some people's lives is completely extinguished only a short time after, if it existed ever. That's not a judgement of their value, just how I see meaning. So I'd go with absurdism if it was less death that was the endpoint of meaning and more 'an endpoint will ALWAYS come eventually, so don't worry too much about it'. If there's one thing the last couple of years has shown is that life really is just chaos - no real rhyme or reason outside of the fragile structures we create. I think that's maybe why conspiracy people go that way - even if the people pulling the strings are evil, poo poo, at least someone's pulling the strings and it's not just a load of haunted marionettes caught in a hurricane.

I believe this was at least partially addressed by the philosopher S. Snake at the conclusion of their work Sons of Liberty (2001).

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier posted:

didnt we already cancel arnie hammer for cannibalism

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This debate about philosophy is fascinating. It also made me wonder what my own personal belief system would align with in the world of philosophy.

Turns out the best fit seems to be... metaphysical Solipsism?

Well, I guess I should read some books about this then

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There *is* some science to economics, but the problem is that subatomic particles don't change their behaviour based on the laws of physics so it's never going to be *science* science.

The only science in economics is behavioral psychology in a trench coat.

Also, economics "models" are unworthy of the name, and discredit other scientific models (eg climate models) just by being compared to them. Higher Economics is about getting lost in increasing complex mathematics, because of the paucity of existing observations to actually build a model off and the inability to get more of them.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The only science is economics is behavioral psychology in a trench coat.
Ah, Nonce Finance.