Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

FIRST-CLASS LIBIDO OIL: content for you the Two Ladies
Inquire with tw sdm.f

Lol ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is the Catholic practice of burying a St. Joseph statue in the yard of a house to help it sell magic

what about the tradition that the person who gets the baby Jesus in the Mardi Gras cake will get good luck for the year

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

is the Catholic practice of burying a St. Joseph statue in the yard of a house to help it sell magic

what about the tradition that the person who gets the baby Jesus in the Mardi Gras cake will get good luck for the year

yup! catholics cast a lot of spells, both official and unofficial. it is not a coincidence that "witch trials" became a thing at the same time as the protestant reformation

quote:

The accused witches lived in the area around Pendle Hill in Lancashire, a county which, at the end of the 16th century, was regarded by the authorities as a wild and lawless region: an area "fabled for its theft, violence and sexual laxity, where the church was honoured without much understanding of its doctrines by the common people".[2] The nearby Cistercian abbey at Whalley had been dissolved by Henry VIII in 1537, a move strongly resisted by the local people, over whose lives the abbey had until then exerted a powerful influence. Despite the abbey's closure, and the execution of its abbot, the people of Pendle remained largely faithful to their Roman Catholic beliefs and were quick to revert to Catholicism on Queen Mary's accession to the throne in 1553
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MATKIhrDZSc

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Jul 5, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Atrocious Joe posted:

Yeah I'm gonna say the first one for sure is a spell but I dunno if the baby Jesus counts cause it just seems less spellish somehow.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Atrocious Joe posted:

whispering in latin vulgaris as i take the little plastic babby and surreptitiously sneak it into the underside of the cake in the break room

my coworker unlucky enough to slice the correction portion finds it, and everyone sipping coffee nearby has their eyes go completely black, chanting YOU MUST NOW BRING THE NEXT CAKE

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The cakes already come with the baby Jesus baked into them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Atrocious Joe posted:

The cakes already come with the baby Jesus baked into them

nah they stopped doing that in the 90s, they leave it on the side now for you to do because of choking liability concerns

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah they stopped doing that in the 90s, they leave it on the side now for you to do because of choking liability concerns

illegal cake babies

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

5D Neo-Eggplant Thothic Shamanism

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ley lines were invented by a dude in the 1920s who looked at the high density of historical sites in brittan and got a brainwave where he started plotting lines on a map. He was convinced about several things like they were mundane straight roads for trade and that the region was deforested in the neolithic. He was right about the deforestation but the ley lines were just coincidental until some new wave weirdos became convinced they were used to signal aliens in the 1960s.

the dude who came up with the idea did not believe in mumbo jumbo, but the idea took in germany for a while and especially with nazis

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

jetz0r posted:

illegal cake babies

oh yeah i got the illegal cake baby once. They still put the babies in there if you go to the right place

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

not one but two different nazi-adjacent occultists developed systems of runic yoga which was based around forming the letters of different runic alphabets with the body like a nazi version of YMCA

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is Yoga a magical practice

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Atrocious Joe posted:

many types yes and many types no

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

yup!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qt8CTWpnSQ

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's magic if people agree it's magic. I don't think it's magic cause I'm not seeing an ascetic yogi and thinking "this is sorcery"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Is "The Secret" magic?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm basically looking at it like:

Religion is public, magic is private
Religion is more trying to get a grip on your relationship with the supernatural, magic is an attempt to control it
Religion has more long term goals, magic is getting this specific result now

Magic is kind of spiritually cheating and getting one over on everybody else and this is why wise women or priestesses are respected but witches are despised.

So yes the secret is doing magic.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is "The Secret" magic?

Pretty much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
is "blowing out your birthday candles" magic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is "blowing out your birthday candles" magic

only if you make a wish

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

someone: so uh *snicker* is uh...doodie magical?

rutibex: absolutely! :posts youtube with thumbnail of an attractive girl palming a turd:

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
no i will not share my trans lesbian secret magics with thread

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

So this stuff seems to be an accurate depiction of magic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Here’s me talking about the magic of biofeedback before the spoopy sub forum went away.
Sniper is always in all the good occult threads:

Solvent posted:

Oh I can define it in at least one way.

I got a camera up my butt recently. The fentanyl was super fun, along with the prep for it. While I was waiting for the doctor to prep everything, I had oxygen in my nose and a pulse monitor in front of me. Naturally I wasn’t too pleased, so I watched the pulse monitor and slowed my breathing through my nose. I figured I’d get a nice oxygen high while I was waiting as opposed to just lying on my side clenching up.

I pushed my beef fat clogged, 20 years of smoking heart down to 45 beats per minute before they told me to close my eyes and here comes the drugs...

Tummo meditation is the same sort of thing to practice I suspect, either your fingers and toes are going numb or they’re not.

I think my question is, is the iron shirt psychotronics?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_shirt?wprov=sfti1

If it’s not, what is it, and wouldn’t it be a good idea to come up with common language to talk about if?

Epilogue, my butt is fine now I just had to stop drinking coffee.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
also my wife has jedi powers she wiggles her fingers at things and magically her drink or the remote control or her iPhone and just now the blanket floats over to her.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solvent posted:

also my wife has jedi powers she wiggles her fingers at things and magically her drink or the remote control or her iPhone and just now the blanket floats over to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvxAMCJe7ak

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:gas:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
You can always tell that Ouija boards are fake bullshit because the spirits on the other side are never racist.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
oh wow and here I was thinking I was an agent of the force. turns out I’m just dumb.

also this same guy keeps showing up with bad :gas:
is that content?

you know, I’m also really into being told “you’re not a leftist if you…”

I’m bilaterally symmetrical thank you, is ambidextrous-ist also a thing?

I’m still hard on the path of magic by virtue of itself being something you don’t understand, and science being by virtue of itself, permanently incomplete.

I watched this short video of Neil the physics guy taking about “higher planes of existence” last night as I was falling asleep.

“If I existed on a two dimensional plane, and you passed a sphere through it, I’d see a point become a circle that expands then contracts back into a point before disappearing”

I think the great occult question is, who’s looking for spheres, and who’s saying shut up it’s just a loving circle.

https://youtu.be/lM_HPAXwJFw

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

flatland is such a lovely book, great analogy

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ram dass in hell posted:

flatland is such a lovely book, great analogy

You know what I think is also a great analogy, that sweet man who used to tell me stories of Hanuman as I fell asleep in childhood, existing in hell.

I think that's leftist af.

Have you seen "going home" on Netflix?
What a beautiful half hour or so, I'm lucky he's still with me in some form.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solvent posted:

oh wow and here I was thinking I was an agent of the force. turns out I’m just dumb.

also this same guy keeps showing up with bad :gas:
is that content?

you know, I’m also really into being told “you’re not a leftist if you…”

I’m bilaterally symmetrical thank you, is ambidextrous-ist also a thing?

I’m still hard on the path of magic by virtue of itself being something you don’t understand, and science being by virtue of itself, permanently incomplete.

I watched this short video of Neil the physics guy taking about “higher planes of existence” last night as I was falling asleep.

“If I existed on a two dimensional plane, and you passed a sphere through it, I’d see a point become a circle that expands then contracts back into a point before disappearing”

I think the great occult question is, who’s looking for spheres, and who’s saying shut up it’s just a loving circle.

https://youtu.be/lM_HPAXwJFw

Neil degrass Tyson is a buzzkill and a dork if you want to post science men at least post carl sagan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WjV6MmCyM

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Solvent posted:

You know what I think is also a great analogy, that sweet man who used to tell me stories of Hanuman as I fell asleep in childhood, existing in hell.

I think that's leftist af.

Have you seen "going home" on Netflix?
What a beautiful half hour or so, I'm lucky he's still with me in some form.

oh, yeah. [adopting a bateman talking about whitney houston cadence] My first parachute account was ross perot in hell and i made it the day after he died as a gimmick, so when I needed another parachute account I regged this one and there was only one recent death that was meaningful enough to qualify. thich nhat hanh's allegory of living through the vietnam war, a bodhisattva must be as a lotus in a sea of fire, the idea of being fully present in the ocean of samsaric karma, it all clicks for me. as a bonus it pisses off hippy dipshit steve jobs types who think it's a disrespectful handle, but it's not, it's reverent and a fullfillment of everything I appreciate about him

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
:five:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sagan loved to gently caress and get hosed up, scientifically speaking.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

doing a real deep dive into magical research rn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDVGiYzZm0

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
hey did you guys see that movie a dark song? someone recommended it in gbs and it was p good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You can tell what it's gonna be like by the color palette