Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Didn't Patrick Stewart demand that scene himself?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Patrick Stewart wanted Picard to do more action stuff, yeah. I think he demanded the dune buggy.

Yes. Patrick Stewart got really into off roading shortly before production on Nemesis began and asked for there to be a scene in the script where Picard takes the Enterprise's new dune buggy out for a spin as an excuse to spend a few days bombing around the desert in a 4x4 on Paramount's dime.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Didn't Patrick Stewart demand that scene himself?

Ah, the old Jon Pertwee. A classic!

For those of you who don't know, Jon Pertwee was the 3rd person to play The Doctor in Doctor Who. In his send-off episode, right before he's replaced with Tom Baker, he spends a sizable chunk of the episode tooling around in a classic car, and for the exact same reasons why Patrick Stewart did.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 6, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've soured on First Contact lately. It seemed super rad when I was a kid, but after having seen more of the action movies that I wasn't yet exposed to back then, coming back to it, it comes off as very average. It really needed to do right by the characters to stand the test of time, but unfortunately the only really good character moments are brief scenes with Troi and Worf. And you've got Picard's thing which has potential but is handled really messily. On paper there's nothing wrong with revisiting his trauma even though it was already "over" by the end of the show, but sadly they didn't seem to see much value in it beyond an excuse to do action hero stuff.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/TheKateMulgrew/status/1412091142125109253?s=19

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
First Contact is a good movie and does something later Star Trek movies didn't do very well except for maybe Beyond:

1) The whole cast is used to a certain degree, except for maybe Geordi.
2) There are a lot of interesting thematic things going on in the movie. Picard wanting to hurt the borg is obviously the most prevalent but I an underrated part of that movie is the whole Chochran arch and I think takes on a lot of meaning as I get older. Our society idealizes heroes and tends to wash out the negative aspects of their personalities as time goes forward. Finding out that Chochran wanted to make a FTL drive to get chicks in money is such a great way to examine both the utopia of Trek and our own lives and Riker's line about just be yourself and let history sort it out is also fun.
3) I think its a beautiful movie, the sets, the color and its loving creepy too. its too bad the tv version cuts out the this scene.

Anyways, I like the first two TNG. I understand why people have a love hate relationship with Generations but First Contact deserves more love.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1) They shouldn't have destroyed the Enterprise D in Generations
2) They should have destroyed the Enterprise D in First Contact

"Blow up the drat ship" is followed through on, and by destroying the Borg Queen, everything resets somehow and they don't need a "get back" plan as a result.

There's a lot of stuff I'd change in that movie though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

First Contact has a bit of a Raiders of the Lost Arc problem.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

1) The whole cast is used to a certain degree, except for maybe Geordi.

Dr Crusher.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alchenar posted:

The problem being that it’s good?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Dr Crusher.

Fair she gets absolutely screwed in the movies in terms of not doing anything.

What I do ding the TNG movies is trying to make Picard/Data the new Kirk/Spock not realizing that Riker and the rest of the crew were also integral to the series.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem being that it’s good?

Picard's emotional arc is important, but the film ends exactly the same way no matter what he does.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

blastron posted:

The shots we got from inside Discovery’s Enterprise were fantastic. They married modern sci-fi aesthetics with the bright primary colors of the original series and I can absolutely get behind the idea that this is what it “really” looked like. I’m really looking forward to seeing the rest of the ship.

I couldn't disagree more, if only because "modern sci-fi aesthetics" itself is hardly something to be held in high regard. And it's going to look even more dated with the same distance than the original designs do now, because the original was breaking with the cliches and tropes of the time instead of chasing after them.

Alchenar posted:

This sentence is a matryoshka doll of lol

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The new stuff tries to do this weird retro futurism vibe which is admirable but it doesn't lean into it hard enough so it just looks like a video game with lots of micro transactions

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My opinion is that if you're going to modernize something, it should look the same if you blur your eyes enough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And then there's the bits where they don't even bother and just go 'gently caress it' like the Disco Enterprise engineering

Everything must glow blue.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blue and Orange, because of course

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat it, it's supposed to be blue and RED

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sash! posted:

1) They shouldn't have destroyed the Enterprise D in Generations
2) They should have destroyed the Enterprise D in First Contact

"Blow up the drat ship" is followed through on, and by destroying the Borg Queen, everything resets somehow and they don't need a "get back" plan as a result.

There's a lot of stuff I'd change in that movie though.
Yeah a lot of potential gravitas is lost because we don't know the E at all. Not even a gratuitous intro shot. Like there's gotta be a healthy ground between TMP's drawn-out conny ogling and the quick exterior shot the E gets in the middle of a Captain's Log.

And yeah instead of blowing up the D we get... Data punching a pipe (after stalling for no reason other than to create tension for the viewing audience).

Also FC, while much more coherent than Generations, still feels like several half-baked scripts that got mashed into a single movie. Time travel doesn't seem like the Borgs' MO at all and that always irked me, feels like it was written for someone else.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

Also FC, while much more coherent than Generations, still feels like several half-baked scripts that got mashed into a single movie. Time travel doesn't seem like the Borgs' MO at all and that always irked me, feels like it was written for someone else.

That's pretty much what happened. Braga wanted to do a time travel film and Moore wanted to do The Borg Get Serious so they just split the difference

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, both Generations and First Contact have too much going on. Generations is worse about it, but First Contact never quite succeeds in explaining its Borg plot. It looks and sounds fantastic and does a good job of building tension, but it doesn’t make all that much sense. The Queen spends the whole movie hinting that she has some big reason for everything that mere organics can’t understand, but it never comes across what it is. It ends up feeling like she just wanted to gently caress with Data for fun. The Earth/Cochrane stuff is much better though it would probably be too light for a whole movie without some other villain attached.

IMO: they should have done one movie of time travel to save first contact, with the villain being local to the past, like a Mad Max-style post-apocalypse warlord who wants the “missile” for his own or something. Then one movie of Borg stuff with the Enterprise crew teaming up with the Defiant so Picard and Sisko can work out their issues.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I saw First Contact before I saw an episode of TNG. I thought it was a cool movie. Rewatching it after I watched TNG is an interesting experience. It feels so unlike TNG it is bizarre. I still enjoy it though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

skasion posted:

IMO: they should have done one movie of time travel to save first contact, with the villain being local to the past, like a Mad Max-style post-apocalypse warlord who wants the “missile” for his own or something. Then one movie of Borg stuff with the Enterprise crew teaming up with the Defiant so Picard and Sisko can work out their issues.

You could do FC with Romulans instead of Borg. They're the ones who always end up practically breaking reality just to make their engine go faster or whatever, so inventing a time travel mechanism just to screw with humans & Vulcans is pretty on-brand. The Cochrane story does feel a little too slight to be a whole movie, but at the end of the day most of the best moments are in it, so I think you could beef it up with some effort.

And yeah, it's been said before, but a movie with Picard & Sisko teaming up to fight the Borg, working through the aftermath of Wolf 359 on all fronts and blowing up the ship in the process... :discourse: If only. The way I picture it is Sisko being the more unhinged one (naturally) and Picard being forced to play good cop even though deep down he hates the Borg just as much, if not more.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 6, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

skasion posted:

Yeah, both Generations and First Contact have too much going on. Generations is worse about it, but First Contact never quite succeeds in explaining its Borg plot. It looks and sounds fantastic and does a good job of building tension, but it doesn’t make all that much sense. The Queen spends the whole movie hinting that she has some big reason for everything that mere organics can’t understand, but it never comes across what it is. It ends up feeling like she just wanted to gently caress with Data for fun. The Earth/Cochrane stuff is much better though it would probably be too light for a whole movie without some other villain attached.

True. The Borg Queen subplot builds up a lot of tension that never really goes anywhere and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Granted, I'm coming from the perspective of someone who is familiar with TNG, but there was little doubt that Data would decline to betray his crew for her.

FC does contain one of my favorite Data moments: his deadpan "Greetings" to Lily in the missile silo after she emptied an entire clip of bullets into him.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

And then there's the bits where they don't even bother and just go 'gently caress it' like the Disco Enterprise engineering

Everything must glow blue.

It's like those ice planet Legos from the 90s but more nonsensical

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The single greatest mistake made in all of Star Trek is that they didn't put the idea for Yesterday's Enterprise on a shelf and come back to it for a movie. Picard fighting off the Klingons so that Kirk can die defending Klingons from the Romulans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Now I'm sad.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
These days I try to be glad we got what we got instead of being sad about what might have been

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sash! posted:

The single greatest mistake made in all of Star Trek is that they didn't put the idea for Yesterday's Enterprise on a shelf and come back to it for a movie. Picard fighting off the Klingons so that Kirk can die defending Klingons from the Romulans.

People who say this seem to fundamentally misunderstand Kirk's entire throughline as a character. He isn't nearly the action hero that parodies and pop culture make him out to be.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

People who say this seem to fundamentally misunderstand Kirk's entire throughline as a character. He isn't nearly the action hero that parodies and pop culture make him out to be.

But it's a logical extension of Movie-Kirk's arc from 3 to 6, where he goes from hating them for killing David to willing to fight for the possibility of long-term peace.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yesterday's Enterprise would have been a fun movie for the fans but utterly unmarketable since you need a baseline of what's "normal" for the plot to resonate.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

Just reuse the episode's plot with a movie budget, like they did with TMP

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Have the Defiant go back in time too and the only way to defeat the Borg is to separate the saucer section and then combine the Enterprise with the Defiant in place of the saucer section, forming the Enterprise D-Fiant

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Have the Defiant go back in time too and the only way to defeat the Borg is to separate the saucer section and then combine the Enterprise with the Defiant in place of the saucer section, forming the Enterprise D-Fiant

:awesome:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tunicate posted:

Just reuse the episode's plot with a movie budget, like they did with TMP

That would go over like a wet fart with audiences. Hell, some of the cast didn't understand what was happening in Yesterday's Enterprise (notably Frakes), how on Earth do you think general audiences--as in people who might have a casual, passing familiarity with Trek--would react? I mean, poo poo, DS9's offices got flooded with hate mail after The Jem'Hadar because people thought they had just blown up the Enterprise-D.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 6, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

It's like those ice planet Legos from the 90s but more nonsensical

How dare you besmirch the transparent orange chainsaw like this :mad:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The world was not ready for super starship anime

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yesterday's Enterprise would have been a fun movie for the fans but utterly unmarketable since you need a baseline of what's "normal" for the plot to resonate.

I understood the plot to that episode when I was 4 years old so I don't know if it would have been too complex for people, especially if you market it as the big team up movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The actual perfect scenario there would be to have Yesterday's Enterprise: Kirk Version as the TNG season 6 finale instead of Descent.

I mean obviously there's basically zero chance that ever would've happened but since we're dreaming...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BORG QUEEN: Aaaaah! After 10,000 years I'm free! It's time to conquer Earth!

PICARD'S HEAD IN A TUBE: Data! The Borg Queen's escaped! Recruit a team of officers with attitude!