Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Thats ONE of country's peaks.

I think it's one of the most successful albums to light a love of country and/or Ween.

I grew up in a small rural town and one of the highlights drinking there was bonding over the Ween country album with a random farmer guy at the jukebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If anyone is interested in country music that is actually country music get yourself a copy of Satan Is Real by the Louvin Brothers. It's a really good album and it has one of the best album covers of all time.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

If anyone is interested in country music that is actually country music get yourself a copy of Satan Is Real by the Louvin Brothers. It's a really good album and it has one of the best album covers of all time.

I'll keep an eye out for one, seen the cover a ton online but never in a store.

Top of my favorite country albums list is The Byrd's Sweetheart of the Rodeo and the Numero Group compilation Cosmic American Music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'll keep an eye out for one, seen the cover a ton online but never in a store.

Top of my favorite country albums list is The Byrd's Sweetheart of the Rodeo and the Numero Group compilation Cosmic American Music.

I don't know how easy it is to find an original copy but Light in the Attic did a nice reissue of it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CPL593H posted:

Not sure if this was a joke post but the entire first song of this album is a sermon?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ayyyy, I got a replacement Cardiacs Seaside album! They came through, gonna throw down the cash for Sing to God the next time I have some fuckaround money.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Country music peeked with Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats.
I think you mean Learnin' to Love off of La Cucaracha.

I swear they play it live specifically to antagonize. I dig that.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 7, 2021

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I think you mean Learnin' to Love off of La Cucaracha.

I swear they play it live specifically to antagonize. I dig that.

Oh I loveeee that song. It's obnoxious as hell and one of my favorite songs to sing along to. La Cucaracha doesn't get the love it deserves.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hekk posted:

Not sure if this was a joke post but the entire first song of this album is a sermon?

No, I'm serious. And yes kind of but it's bookended by the actual song. I'm not even remotely religious it's just a good album overall.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone in the Boston area, great deal on stereo equipment here: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d/boston-stereo-equipment/7347216245.html

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Oh I loveeee that song. It's obnoxious as hell and one of my favorite songs to sing along to. La Cucaracha doesn't get the love it deserves.
Woman and Man gives that album the biggest pass, but it has a ton of good tracks. Not gonna lie: I'm a sucker for their White Guy Reggae songs.

I just got this sweet package on pre-order:

The only one with good enough cover art to grab the poster. Carpenter wrote new tracks for the 7".

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Woman and Man gives that album the biggest pass, but it has a ton of good tracks. Not gonna lie: I'm a sucker for their White Guy Reggae songs.

I just got this sweet package on pre-order:

The only one with good enough cover art to grab the poster. Carpenter wrote new tracks for the 7".

Thankfully it has tracks like Blue Balloon, Fiesta, Shamemaker and Object to save it.

PSA for anyone who prepurchased the Disco Elysium vinyl from I am 8 bit, their support service said it's due to ship mid to end of July. Hoping it doesn't get moved back again.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 7, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that hot chip reissue got pushed back a second time

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

It's all worth it so we can have thousands of copies of Reach the Beach by The Fixx with a retail price of 40 dollars.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I think you mean Meat Puppets II

Well the Pups peaked around then anyway. That album really rocked my socks off back in what, 84 or so. I still remember the room I first heard it. But anyways.

Oh, for me one of my funnest days of my life was spent hanging around a derelict farm in Ypsilanti MI, where a landscaper was spending an idle rainy day drinking with the caretaker of the farm. We spent the day drinking beer, eating Kimchi and passing around a guitar, singing tunes off of X's The Knitters album. I only knew the Knitters versions, these guys only knew the originals, and that evening we drove into town for open mic night at a local tavern and played them together, and though I'm sure Milwaukee's Best was a contributing factor, I think we sounded pretty good. I especially remember how well we harmonized on Silver Wings and My Tears are Far Away.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 7, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

hexwren posted:

my emails from rough trade say 3 times: from may 21 to june 18 to july 2 to july 23

presumedly the plants were slammed for months with garth and everyone is still catching up

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to do a bit of self promotion, this is a Venetian Snares live set I shot years back, had desk audio but it wasn’t the best so this dude cleaned it up a bit (and the tape got a bit glitchy at times). It’s a fun one to see for those who dig him but haven’t seen him live. He’s a legit grumpy dude, but you have to love him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaFIQNZmfB4&t=657s

nice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Set up some stuff in my room so I'm not monopolizing the living room (my roommate's) turntable anymore.

Anyone here collect this kinda stuff? This was from a trashy record store in the dollar bin. The Van Clyburn is noisy but the Kleiber is in great shape- actually most operas I've seen are like that, I assume that apart from opera nuts, most people who bought operas didn't listen to them daily, and the ones who were opera nuts probably kept them in good shape.

(also if you don't mind mono, good lord can you find great classical LPs for cheap, some of the more expensive RCA/Mercury releases are dollar bin fodder in mono - even ones which never had a stereo release)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 7, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I buy classical stuff but only if I like it to begin with. Like you can still buy the standard box set version of Wagner's Ring on ebay and probably other similar places for like $25 which, pound for pound, beats even Garth. I used to think that was the kind of stuff you want if you want to buy albums speculatively but boy was I wrong. But I didn't buy my copy as an investment and I wouldn't sell it if the price doubled.

I saw La Traviata when I was a kid, along with a number of the classics like La Boheme, Carmen, etc. on a season ticket deal. Was well worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People do pay for good condition RCA Living Stereo/Mercury Living Presence and some Decca stuff but yeah. First release Everest Records stuff can get pricy too IIRC (they were an old school audiophile label)

Also I have to go some kind of physical release for opera - I can't do it without having the booklet with the words/translation, and following on a phone just isn't right.

The best thing about Decca classical LPs - the London Records LPs which were made in England are literally the same as the Decca LPs - except they go for nothing because collectors want the Deccas and literally one of the oldest arguments in vinyl history is people swearing on the bible that "made in England" London Records LPs sound Totally Different And Far Inferior to Deccas.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 7, 2021

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CaptainBeefart posted:

possibly because in the world of Ween bad is good and good is bad so it makes sense that their most professional sounding album gets overlooked

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

People do pay for good condition RCA Living Stereo/Mercury Living Presence and some Decca stuff but yeah. First release Everest Records stuff can get pricy too IIRC (they were an old school audiophile label)

Also I have to go some kind of physical release for opera - I can't do it without having the booklet with the words/translation, and following on a phone just isn't right.

The best thing about Decca classical LPs - the London Records LPs which were made in England are literally the same as the Decca LPs - except they go for nothing because collectors want the Deccas and literally one of the oldest arguments in vinyl history is people swearing on the bible that "made in England" London Records LPs sound Totally Different And Far Inferior to Deccas.

Yeah, having the libretto is tha bomb

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Scott Pilgrim LP pre-order goes out in like a week or so I think if anyone wanted to get in on that

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Only records I scored today were eclipsed by finding a big Mackie for $20 but here they are:

Bayou Bottoms LOL

Also the queen of Spandex herself

ED: note the real cut in a real cutout bin record

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

petit choux posted:

Yeah, having the libretto is tha bomb

The absolutely enormous liner notes in opera LP sets are the best. Almost makes up for having to constantly change sides.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Set up some stuff in my room so I'm not monopolizing the living room (my roommate's) turntable anymore.

Anyone here collect this kinda stuff? This was from a trashy record store in the dollar bin. The Van Clyburn is noisy but the Kleiber is in great shape- actually most operas I've seen are like that, I assume that apart from opera nuts, most people who bought operas didn't listen to them daily, and the ones who were opera nuts probably kept them in good shape.

(also if you don't mind mono, good lord can you find great classical LPs for cheap, some of the more expensive RCA/Mercury releases are dollar bin fodder in mono - even ones which never had a stereo release)

I think one of the best parts of vinyl is the absolutely mind boggling amount of poo poo available to you and stuff like this is cool and fun to have, but one of the worst parts of vinyl is all the physical space it takes up. I've just about exhausted all the space in my house I'm willing to give up to records and while I like a good novelty/once every few years kind of listen, I'm real close to one in and one out so I'm not really able/willing to buy stuff like that anymore. Which is kind of a shame, but I'm glad that I'm drawing a bit of a line in the sand of letting records take over my house and trying to only own things I actually listen to at least a few times per year.

https://store.dfarecords.com/collec...=40735245500585

Here's a little more info on this repress from DFA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I had to stop myself from buying some Archiv sets because I don't really like baroque music, not even "big band" 70s style Baroque before they started actually playing it like how it was played back in the day.

Mainly because Archiv had some of the most amazing packaging ever. It was so German.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

JAMOOOL posted:

possibly because in the world of Ween bad is good and good is bad so it makes sense that their most professional sounding album gets overlooked

Good point!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, I had to stop myself from buying some Archiv sets because I don't really like baroque music, not even "big band" 70s style Baroque before they started actually playing it like how it was played back in the day.

Mainly because Archiv had some of the most amazing packaging ever. It was so German.

That's some solid design right there.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I know it's 5 LPs but The Long Goodbye repress is $130 before shipping? Was (stupidly) hoping it would have a bit of a better price point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also picked these up, I will pick up anything conducted by Leopold Stokowski (more famous for being parodied in a Looney Tunes cartoon these days, probably) because among all historical conductors, he was the biggest studio nut who absolutely loved fiddling with his recordings and making them sound as "spectacular" as possible, and that Scriabin cover is so cool (it's a late 60s reissue, unfortunately - you really have to physically check the label on Everest LPs to make sure it's the original)

Classical LPs are much different from classical CD collection because there I tend to end up with the cheapest possible versions with generic budget-line release covers, since the best performances inevitably got re-released again and again on progressively cheaper and cheaper imprints until it's like, a Sony Essential Classics release which sounds just as good as any other version. Classical LPs you really want the nicest stuff because it was historically an audiophile genre.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 7, 2021

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

angrygodofjebus posted:

I know it's 5 LPs but The Long Goodbye repress is $130 before shipping? Was (stupidly) hoping it would have a bit of a better price point.

Pretty sure it was the exact same pricepoint when it was originally pressed in 2014 or 2015 or whenever it was.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Read After Burning posted:

Soundtrack from War and Peace, starring Audrey Hepburn (~1956 but this version could be newer)

This is the only cool "classical music" style record I have, but the sleeve being so old is cool. This was pre-bar codes!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also picked these up, I will pick up anything conducted by Leopold Stokowski (more famous for being parodied in a Looney Tunes cartoon these days, probably) because among all historical conductors, he was the biggest studio nut who absolutely loved fiddling with his recordings and making them sound as "spectacular" as possible, and that Scriabin cover is so cool (it's a late 60s reissue, unfortunately - you really have to physically check the label on Everest LPs to make sure it's the original)

Love the covers on both of those -- so great. I still haven't checked out the big classical section of one of the local records stores I like, but maybe it's time to do that next time I'm up there. Maybe pick up some Dvorak, Bach, and two albums of WWII fighter plane engine noises I left there last time I stopped by.

Instead, last time I was there, I picked one of the few country albums I grew up with, and Struts album I'm sure I would have loved as a kid:

Stopped by another local place and remedied a gap in my Kate Bush album collection. Also found this West Side Story soundtrack, which came with some record from a 1967 Parisian bank transaction in it. I assume that was some tie-in to the musical, maybe from when the Jets all did study abroad.

And finally this week, braved Discogs after realizing I was never going to come across the Soda Stereo album I'd been looking for locally ever since learning of them in this Netflix documentary about Latin/South American rock bands. Plus a Gin Blossoms album the seller also had. Figure I'd get the latter eventually, but was really excited to finally lay my hands on this Soda Stereo album:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

McCoy Pauley posted:

Instead, last time I was there, I picked one of the few country albums I grew up with, and Struts album I'm sure I would have loved as a kid:

My mom-in-law would absolutely fight you to the death for that Trio album.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

How’s that Hounds of Love remaster? That and The Kick Inside are two of hers I’m missing but I’m kinda holding out hope I can find earlier pressings so they all “match.”

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Stan Taylor posted:

How’s that Hounds of Love remaster? That and The Kick Inside are two of hers I’m missing but I’m kinda holding out hope I can find earlier pressings so they all “match.”

It sounds really good to me. My only comparison listening to any Kate Bush recently is it playing on an Amazon Echo, and this sounds way better than that (which is what I would expect). In any event, I have no complaints.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

It's all worth it so we can have thousands of copies of Reach the Beach by The Fixx with a retail price of 40 dollars.

Garthed by Zero

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So apparently they're putting out a 25th anniversary edition of that Spice Girls album and this is why I have to wait until November to get the Tropical gently caress Storm album that comes out in August.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

So apparently they're putting out a 25th anniversary edition of that Spice Girls album and this is why I have to wait until November to get the Tropical gently caress Storm album that comes out in August.

how else are people going to decorate their walls if they dont have a vinyl record of the Spice Girls album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

how else are people going to decorate their walls if they dont have a vinyl record of the Spice Girls album.

I'll tell you what I want what I really, really want. I wanna, I wanna, I wanna I really, really, really, really

want to be able to buy stuff I like because the pressing plants are clogged full of garbage no one wants which will also be collecting dust in Target for the next three years.