Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Timby posted:

That would go over like a wet fart with audiences. Hell, some of the cast didn't understand what was happening in Yesterday's Enterprise (notably Frakes), how on Earth do you think general audiences--as in people who might have a casual, passing familiarity with Trek--would react? I mean, poo poo, DS9's offices got flooded with hate mail after The Jem'Hadar because people thought they had just blown up the Enterprise-D.

I mean, the cast not understanding poo poo is understandable, they don't film things in chronological order and you often don't see the parts you aren't there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

People who say this seem to fundamentally misunderstand Kirk's entire throughline as a character. He isn't nearly the action hero that parodies and pop culture make him out to be.
I was surprised in watching through all of TOS how the 'Kirk is a horndog' trope isn't really a thing in reality

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

People who say this seem to fundamentally misunderstand Kirk's entire throughline as a character. He isn't nearly the action hero that parodies and pop culture make him out to be.

Kirk, who the Klingons once gave a death sentence to on the evidence of "I'll never forgive them," sacrificing himself isn't an action movie ending. It is Kirk being the watershed moment that ends generations of violence and suspicion.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sash! posted:

Kirk, who the Klingons once gave a death sentence to on the evidence of "I'll never forgive them," sacrificing himself isn't an action movie ending. It is Kirk being the watershed moment that ends generations of violence and suspicion.

That plot would make sense, which is apparently illegal for a TNG movie.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought this right after hitting submit:

It also hits the Kobayashi Maru thread. Kirk must face it, in the end, knowing that he cannot survive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Plus Kirk would've had to fulfull his own prophecy of dying alone, because McCoy, Spock, and Scotty had already shown up in TNG by then.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Have the Defiant go back in time too and the only way to defeat the Borg is to separate the saucer section and then combine the Enterprise with the Defiant in place of the saucer section, forming the Enterprise D-Fiant

Shattered, so where, is kicking himself for not coming up with that. A… he did was paint the Defiant black and rename it Enterprise.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Speaking of Kobayashi Maru, I was showing my kids the original Godzilla last night and noticed all the Japanese ships/boats in that were named something-maru. I don't have a point, I just hadn't thought about it before

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bullbar posted:

Speaking of Kobayashi Maru, I was showing my kids the original Godzilla last night and noticed all the Japanese ships/boats in that were named something-maru. I don't have a point, I just hadn't thought about it before

The tramp freighter in Andromeda is the Eureka Maru. A lot of Japanese ship names end that way. I did a google and apparently it's often a suffix for swords, ships, and young boys.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

During the war, it became sort of a shorthand for freighter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tighclops posted:

These days I try to be glad we got what we got instead of being sad about what might have been

I try too but...

Stanley Kubrick hired Ian Watson to write for AI and Eyes Wide Shut. During the creative process, Stanley read a draft of Ian's new novel; Space Marine. Ian had Games Workshop send over a promo package of art and lore. So we came THIS close to having a Warhammer 40K movie directed by Stanley loving Kubrick.

https://www.ianwatson.info/plumbing-stanley-kubrick/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like Paramount is going to release the Star Trek films in 4k in the worst way possible

quote:

And finally, Paramount is expected to release Scream and The Addams Family on 4K Ultra HD on 10/12. (The latter will include a restored and full-length dance number.) But they’re also close to announcing the rumored and much-anticipated 4K Ultra HD release of the classic Star Trek catalog films, beginning with a 4-film box set of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home on 9/8 (which is the anniversary of the TV debut of Star Trek on NBC back in 1966). These will likely include Dolby Vision HDR and new Dolby Atmos sound mixes. Our sources indicate that Star Trek: The Motion Picture will be the original theatrical version for this first release. The rationale behind the box set seems to be that you have to start with the first film, and then films 2-4 form a coherent story trilogy. Two additional 4K sets may follow (one with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and Star Trek: Generations—which concludes the story of the original cast—and another with Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection, and Star Trek: Nemesis—which concludes the TNG film saga). Last but not least, Paramount should finally deliver the long-awaited Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD upgrade of the Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Director’s Edition sometime in 2022. It’s likely that the studio will refresh their existing Blu-ray editions of these films with the new transfers at some point as well. We expect more on all of this to be revealed at Creation Entertainment’s The “55-Year Mission Tour” Star Trek Convention next month in Las Vegas (August 11-15 at the Rio).

So the sets are going to be

1-4
5-Generations
FC-Nemesis

Then, later, TMP director's cut.

I feel like I hosed a Monkey's Paw here.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 7, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How can we make sure TNG fans have to pay for two sets.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That seems like a perfectly fine way to do it, other than the third set basically being First Contact for the price of three movies

The worst case scenario would have been 4k TMP only being the Directors Cut, like how in the dvd era you were stuck with the DC and couldn't get the Theatrical Cut anywhere

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why wouldn’t you do 1-6 and the TNG movies? That’s so dumb.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds?

Yeah, because they've ripped that band-aid off now with Enterprise and Discovery (and the Disco-Prise showing up in Picard) establishing that we're no longer in that continuity where everything looked like it did in TOS and the movies.

I enjoyed that aspect of the franchise where there was a real sense of history and respect (something that Star Wars does well in things like the Mandalorian), but also don't care about now going "from now on we're just pretending this is how it always looked".

At the time DS9 was airing it would have been a great joke, but also raised more questions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
pirate everything you can if you must, friends

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

I try too but...

Stanley Kubrick hired Ian Watson to write for AI and Eyes Wide Shut. During the creative process, Stanley read a draft of Ian's new novel; Space Marine. Ian had Games Workshop send over a promo package of art and lore. So we came THIS close to having a Warhammer 40K movie directed by Stanley loving Kubrick.

https://www.ianwatson.info/plumbing-stanley-kubrick/

Fuuuck.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, because they've ripped that band-aid off now with Enterprise and Discovery (and the Disco-Prise showing up in Picard) establishing that we're no longer in that continuity where everything looked like it did in TOS and the movies.

I enjoyed that aspect of the franchise where there was a real sense of history and respect (something that Star Wars does well in things like the Mandalorian), but also don't care about now going "from now on we're just pretending this is how it always looked".

At the time DS9 was airing it would have been a great joke, but also raised more questions.

Yeah, nothing really matters anymore. I’m fine with pretending TOS looked like the sleek Disco-prise. It’s a neat set and I like it better than the 60s version anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, nothing really matters anymore. I’m fine with pretending TOS looked like the sleek Disco-prise. It’s a neat set and I like it better than the 60s version anyway.

I think it just matters if SNW is good or not. Like when it was first shown off I hated the Konnie's look and interior. And while I still hate the engineering brewery, I've come around on the bridge and now actually love the Konnie's design. If SNW is good the more advanced look will hopefully be background noise.

As long as they avoid the turbolift dimension.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why wouldn’t you do 1-6 and the TNG movies? That’s so dumb.

Because then you can’t stretch it into three box sets and a stand-alone UHD.

To hell with that, I’ll just continue waiting and get the inevitable slightly cheaper rerelease with different packaging a year later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eimi posted:

As long as they avoid the turbolift dimension.

They already went there on the Enterprise in a short trek.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

bull3964 posted:

They already went there on the Enterprise in a short trek.

gently caress

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Seemlar posted:

That seems like a perfectly fine way to do it, other than the third set basically being First Contact for the price of three movies

The worst case scenario would have been 4k TMP only being the Directors Cut, like how in the dvd era you were stuck with the DC and couldn't get the Theatrical Cut anywhere

Someone at Paramount clearly prefers the theatrical cut and I’m grateful for it. Now they need to sort out whatever is going on with the soundtrack, which you currently have to purchase an old 2 CD set of that has a weird Roddenberry interview of Shatner on Disc 2 and other strange miscellanea instead of something sensible like the rest of the score.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ok those are dumb box sets, but as long as the transfers aren't horrible in some unexpected way I'm pretty pumped, especially that they're finally redoing the TMP director's cut. :woop:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

King Hong Kong posted:

Someone at Paramount clearly prefers the theatrical cut and I’m grateful for it. Now they need to sort out whatever is going on with the soundtrack, which you currently have to purchase an old 2 CD set of that has a weird Roddenberry interview of Shatner on Disc 2 and other strange miscellanea instead of something sensible like the rest of the score.

I was going to point to the existence of the excellent 3-CD soundtrack produced by La-La Land that has not only the entire score twice over but also all the alternate takes and that weird miscellaneous crap like the version of Ilia's theme with Shaun Cassidy lyrics

But oop that version's out of print and currently goes on ebay for $100-200 bucks lol

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 7, 2021

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I just noticed that from season 2 onwards, they trimmed about 20 seconds off the title theme. In the first season theme, there is a repeat in the first brass section, just like in TMP, and that repeat is not there in subsequent seasons.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cross-Section posted:

I was going to point to the existence of the excellent 3-CD soundtrack produced by La-La Land that has not only the entire score twice over but also all the alternate takes and that weird miscellaneous crap like the version of Ilia's theme with Shaun Cassidy lyrics

But oop that version's out of print and currently goes on ebay for $100-200 bucks lol

Oh wow, I'm glad I got that when it first came out. Hopefully they'll do another pressing soon, maybe even in conjunction with one of these 4K releases. I'm pretty much constantly getting emails from them, so they seem to be on top of things.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKC5fxhIZo

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yeah Kubrick directing a 40k movie would have been a monkey's paw moment :v:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Cross-Section posted:

Lol yep. I had an easier (or at least cheaper) time tracking down the music used in a 1970s French cycling documentary that was probably instantly out of print.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Angry_Ed posted:

Given the creative liberties that Kubrick took with The Shining, could we have trusted him to adapt WH40K faithfully?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kurzon posted:

Given the creative liberties that Kubrick took with The Shining, could we have trusted him to adapt WH40K faithfully?

Well he already did Paths of Glory

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah that would be a terrifyingly small budget

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Sisko in first contact helping Picard get over his trauma and PTSD would have been dope

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In the TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder", Riker coldly destroys a couple of clones of him and Pulaski that some colonists are growing. He doesn't consider this murder. Then in the DS9 episode, Odo arrests a guy for killing his own clone, which he says is "still murder". There is some inconsistency here.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 7, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The ever-excellent Junkball Media did a breakdown on how absolutely lazy Riker’s dumb ship and fleet was for Star Trek Picard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurzon posted:

In the TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder", Riker coldly destroys a couple of clones of him and Pulaski that some colonists are growing. He doesn't consider this murder. Then in the DS9 episode, Odo arrests a guy for killing his own clone, which he says is "still murder". There is some inconsistency here.

They weren't done cooking in Up the Long Ladder. Abortion of your own clone is fine

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
The phrase "your own clone" is inherently funny, change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bajoran law: you can't kill your own clone
Federation law: kill your own clone if you want