Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

minya posted:

This is a great post that encapsulates why I loved the game so much and why it resonated so much with me. It's genuinely a masterpiece of storytelling IMO and your second paragraph really nails the reason why.

+1 to everything you wrote above. Also, strongly suggest you don't read the post if you haven't already played (and beaten) the game, because experiencing this phenomenon through playing the game itself is a much more powerful experience than reading about it..

I'm currently listening to China Mieville's The City and The City after seeing it in ZA/UM's recommended media post. Already getting great vibes off it -- the narrator's voice work is reminiscent of the narrator in DE, the word feld is prominent in the first 10 minutes, and it centers around a mysterious death with troubled at-risk youths around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm currently listening to China Mieville's The City and The City after seeing it in ZA/UM's recommended media post. Already getting great vibes off it -- the narrator's voice work is reminiscent of the narrator in DE, the word feld is prominent in the first 10 minutes, and it centers around a mysterious death with troubled at-risk youths around.

Ah man, I've been meaning to read Mieville for so long. This might be the kick in the butt I've needed.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

It’s the only boy Mieville I’ve finished (after starting a couple of others but not getting too far) but it’s excellent, the way the detail of how the city works gradually unfolds over the course of the book is absolutely brilliant.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

minya posted:

Ah man, I've been meaning to read Mieville for so long. This might be the kick in the butt I've needed.

I would recommend the audiobook -- the narrator is phenomenal and hearing the narration brings out the similarities in a way that reading might not.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I picked this game back up after bouncing off it in 2019 because I read city and the city. It was simply a sf/fantasy suggestion, no reference to the game was made. The connection was obvious to me after playing the game for an hour or two a year and a half ago.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Check out the BBC adaption if you can find it. They do a great job with the aesthetics of the two cities and actually improve on the plot of the book in some ways, imo.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 2, 2021

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Hello thread, just started (day 1) and I uh jumped over a concrete wall to grab a nice police coat.
Now I seem to be stuck in the harbour area which feels 10 hours ahead plot wise. Is there a way out without talking to the fat boss man?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You are sorta stuck in there with the boss fight, so long as you collected a bunch of healing items beforehand you'll make it out in one piece, otherwise a earlier save would be good to go back to if you find you can't get out.

Don't worry about getting somewhere "too soon" the game usually has plans for this sort of thing.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
If you have books to burn clock and/or the patience to go round the houses Tommy until it's past 10pm you can just pick up a key card from just inside Everart's container once the boss clocks off for the day

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

Hello thread, just started (day 1) and I uh jumped over a concrete wall to grab a nice police coat.
Now I seem to be stuck in the harbour area which feels 10 hours ahead plot wise. Is there a way out without talking to the fat boss man?

you have to visit the fat boss man's office, though as mentioned, if it's past his quitting time (10PM) there's a failsafe. as for the actual interaction, there's health restoring items in the guardhouse north of the entrance - even without the failsafe, it's not possible to softlock yourself in there.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Excellent, thanks. Game is fantastic so far, already looking forward to a second insanity/druggie playthrough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finally got around to playing this. Created a character and immediately died of a heart attack attempting to grab a tie off a fan. 10/10 GOTY.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sounds like you lack savoir faire. Be more careful.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

KillHour posted:

Finally got around to playing this. Created a character and immediately died of a heart attack attempting to grab a tie off a fan. 10/10 GOTY.

Always enjoy reading this post

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KillHour posted:

nothing in disco elysium has killed more players than the fan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

nothing in disco elysium has killed more players than the fan

false, the tie is an optional miniboss, the first real likely death boss is The Chair

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Just beat it last night, been reading the thread all day. A bit off topic but I was wishing for a movie with some crazy hobocop energy and I saw a trailer for Nicholas Cage going all John Wick over a pig of all things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uOCuPNkZ84
hobocook?

Nick Cage could definitely play Harry.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

KillHour posted:

another dancer steppin' to the One FYS Shuffle

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Played through twice, didn't get any spirit quests, though I have a save for visiting the communists for the second time after the assigned reading. I also have not gotten into the shipping container or the chain pulling machinery bunker.

Going to see if my wife can get into it and babysit her on a playthrough.

I used a controller the second time through and noticed that sometimes I couldn't select things, and I couldn't figure out how to replicate a mouse over for viewing locked roll requirements. Also, I kept accidently using healing items.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

On my very first playthrough I died going for the necktie after I'd hit an amazingly lucky roll to lose the Expression. Almost broke my will. Restarted and ending up carrying the Expression on that run almost until the endgame.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On my first run I never even revealed my face, just a blurry mess forever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Get rid of the Expression? But… why?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Passing a 3% check to get rid of The Expression was the very first roll I ever made in this game.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 7, 2021

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

christmas boots posted:

If you're a sadsack sorrycop, shaving your face and stopping the expression gives you the most appropriate portrait. He looks so loving sad.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The Expression is also forcibly removed from you if you fail the final check for the fascism spirit quest

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It changes if you pass that particular check as well.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

It changes if you pass that particular check as well.

Wow, what does it change to, if anyone has a screenshot? Like...does it change to a slightly menacing version of The Expression, or something? :D

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Wow, what does it change to, if anyone has a screenshot? Like...does it change to a slightly menacing version of The Expression, or something? :D

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If modern fascism had an expression it would probably look like that.

Is there doubley cursed a shaved version?

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 7, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

christmas boots posted:

I was still a young detective then, eagerly chasing every dice roll

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Vagabong posted:

If modern fascism had an expression it would probably look like that.

Is there doubley cursed a shaved version?

Yeah there is. I can't crop it because I'm on mobile but I pulled this from my Steam account.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah there is. I can't crop it because I'm on mobile but I pulled this from my Steam account.

deeply cursed

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Poor Kim, stuck next to this fascist rear end in a top hat :smith:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Bifauxnen posted:

Poor Kim, stuck next to this fascist rear end in a top hat :smith:

Wouldn't be the first time moderate centrism and fascism were bedfellows.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

hahaha absolutely perfect! :D Doubly-cursed indeed

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I think there is a small dialogue inconsistency with Joyce. At some point she referenced a contraband smuggling operation quest that I never got.
Is that the favor you have to do if you don't have your badge yet? I skipped some primo content there I'm afraid :ohdear:
Was wondering what all those truck drivers are there for.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

false, the tie is an optional miniboss, the first real likely death boss is The Chair

I will say, the Evrart bossfight is amazing.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

sauer kraut posted:

I think there is a small dialogue inconsistency with Joyce. At some point she referenced a contraband smuggling operation quest that I never got.
Is that the favor you have to do if you don't have your badge yet? I skipped some primo content there I'm afraid :ohdear:

Yeah. If you get your badge before talking to her about certain stuff, you miss out on a questline. Which is a shame but not so big as to worry about, IMO. Worth poking at on another playthrough though.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I finally got my shirt and horrific necktie, they’re both extremely well made and awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sauer kraut posted:

If it's any consolation pursuing that quest might have forced you to turn someone into a bad person.