Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

this game definitely needs fully decked-out 17th-century galleons, and also a way to force my fuling thralls to serve as marines and poopdecksmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Fuzz posted:

That mod seems cool but I play on a dedicated server and ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh that thing requires you to install two other mods plus the stupid Nexus Mod Manager and Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'd rather not fall into a cave of depression and suicidal ideation over a game.

You might be happy to know you never need to touch the Nexus mod manager, or whatever other ones the BepInEx page mentions.

All Valheim mods need BepInEx as a base but that's it. It's also easier to just install it manually, since it's extracting it into your Valheim folder and you're done, no setup needed.

Then any mods (like the one above) just get dropped into the plugins folder and are ready. Plus you can add or remove mods whenever just by deleting the plugin file, and it's 99% client-side mods so nothing is ever affected on servers.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 27, 2021

boloney
May 29, 2021

Earl of Lavender posted:

It does mean the Valheim folder under steamapps. The BepInEx winhttp.dll file should have arrived there with three other files and three directories, including the BepInEx directory.

How did you install BepInEx? I recommend grabbing it via manual download from Thunderstore; inside the zip, just extract everything inside the BepInExPack_Valheim directory into steamapps\common\Valheim. You should end up with the directories you're missing.

Thanks. I actually installed it via the Thunderstore Mod Manager and I was able to find a different map sharing mod that was just plug-and-play, so I went with that.

Separate question: is there a trick to finding Obsidian? I've scoured four mountain biomes now and have only found a couple deposits.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

causticBeet posted:

Your right that it’s not actually that much work, but it is way more than today’s standard of “subscribe to thing on workshop” or “extract files here”. I wouldn’t worry about it though, I imagine this is something that will get some priority eventually, it’s definitely a game that hugely benefits from a healthy mod community.

It is LITERALLY "extract files here". Click BepinEx mod download button, drag and drop files into Valheim folder, done, mods enabled in general. To install any individual mod, click button then drag and drop files into folder again, done, specific mod enabled. Pretty much all of them are client side which means they'll work on whatever server you play on without any problem at all. I literally cannot think of a way this can be made easier (except reducing it to a single drag and drop I suppose, which I have actually done for people in this thread multiple times so they can install all the mods I recommend in one action, but that's not a thing that can be generally applied since different people want different mods most of the time)

That's literally it.

Edit: I don't even think Valheim even WORKS with the Nexus Mod Manager, so definitely don't install that as part of the process of getting things set up.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 28, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
My first copper deposit was a double, and now my first silver vein that I've found was also a double, got 182 silver ore in total :eyepop:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

boloney posted:

I'm trying to install this mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/42?tab=description

When it says, "Extract content to ***YourValheimFolder***/BepInEx/plugins/", does it mean the Valheim folder in steamapps/common? Because there's no BepInEx/plugins folder there (after installing BepInEx, obviously)

Ah, okay, there is one complexity here. You can run the game once after drag and dropping the BepInEx mod into place, doing this will create the folder to drop the other mods in.

Or you can create the folder manually (but then I think you may need to start the game twice to get the mods to work, maybe? If they aren't working anyway, try restarting and it should fix it).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

boloney posted:

Thanks. I actually installed it via the Thunderstore Mod Manager and I was able to find a different map sharing mod that was just plug-and-play, so I went with that.

Separate question: is there a trick to finding Obsidian? I've scoured four mountain biomes now and have only found a couple deposits.

Obsidian seems real easy to find, they're just rocks that look slightly darker/shinier. Even my first mountain biome that had no silver had more than enough obsidian to make a ton of arrows. You don't need as much of it as you do other materials you get from deposits

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The trick with both obsidian and silver is that they both only spawn above certain heights, so if your mountain is low, you can easily only find a tiny amount of, or no, obsidian.

boloney
May 29, 2021

thespaceinvader posted:

The trick with both obsidian and silver is that they both only spawn above certain heights, so if your mountain is low, you can easily only find a tiny amount of, or no, obsidian.

Thank you, this is what I was missing. I found a larger/taller mountain and hit the jackpot, came home with like 150 obsidian

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Obsidian can be carried through portals as well, which significantly eases acquiring it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zombienietzsche posted:

I'm rapidly losing motivation to play this game. I can only get in about an hour every other day, and that involves exploring every mountain biome I can find (7 large and innumerable not-so-large) looking for Moder's altar or any stone building at all that might have the vesigr in it -- I haven't seen a single stone building in the mountains! I'm wearing my wishbone and marking a ton of silver... I've already maxed all my silver/wolf-tier gear. Any tips for finding this drat thing?

That phase was my least favourite in the game, I checked several big mountain ranges looking for dang eggs. Spent like 2 play sessions fruitlessly socuring every bit of white landscape I could find. Eventually I just copied my world and cheated a noclip character in to fly all over until I found a mountain that had dragon eggs... turns out there were several pretty close to our home base, we just were checking in the opposite direction. Worse, we eventually got all the drat eggs but could not find a Moder stone, which also took so long to find that I also went into dupe-world to cheat find its location. Of course after we kill the boss, we start running into the runes left and right.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Meanwhile I still haven't beaten bone mass in my current game and have several eggs because I keep stumbling across them right on the edge of mountain biomes

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

GlyphGryph posted:

Meanwhile I still haven't beaten bone mass in my current game and have several eggs because I keep stumbling across them right on the edge of mountain biomes

Similar for me, at least so far as getting an egg before beating Bonemass. As soon as I had frost mead I was going into my local mountain biome for obsidian for arrows and stumbled upon an egg after killing a few Drakes.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: I don't even think Valheim even WORKS with the Nexus Mod Manager, so definitely don't install that as part of the process of getting things set up.

Nexus works fine for my Valhiem install.

Nexus itself is kludgy and hey spend money on me to get something 4 seconds faster irritating. But it's nice to have a one button check for updates. Since mods and modding have no official support I had thought we'd see more mod updating than has been the case. Perhaps that will pick up once new content comes out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

pik_d posted:

My first copper deposit was a double, and now my first silver vein that I've found was also a double, got 182 silver ore in total :eyepop:

I've done one better now :popeye:

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Looks like they've done a small patch to address the recent AI wonkiness which is good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TheGreySpectre posted:

Looks like they've done a small patch to address the recent AI wonkiness which is good.

I've been mostly getting into fights away from my bases, so the most I saw were Graydwarves running past me to go destroy wild carrot seeds. The amount of bad decisions in the coding to get to that point must have definitely been something else.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I've been building my bases up on enormous plateaus so luckily my actual bases weren't really affected. It was weird to have mobs run right past me to attack my temp workbenches though

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
The AI tweak was definitely needed but I’m gonna miss chasing greydwarf brutes around to stop them from smashing my bee hives, a little bit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

So I'm workin my way towards the fight against Moder, and the mountains are kinda weird. They really only have one unique resource from the land, Silver. No unique berries or trees, not a whole lot of reason to build a big base there other than having a bitchin mountain home. I've mostly just been sticking portals in the more complete castles I find.

The weather is kinda weird too, no rain is awesome, but the blizzards are just... annoying. Nothing more. Like OK now I just can't see that far, great.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 5, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

pik_d posted:

So I'm workin my way towards the fight against Moder, and the mountains are kinda weird. They really only have one unique resource from the land, Silver. No unique berries or trees, not a whole lot of reason to build a big base there other than having a bitchin mountain home. I've mostly just been sticking portals in the more complete castles I find.

The weather is kinda weird too, no rain is awesome, but the blizzards are just... annoying. Nothing more. Like OK now I just can't see that far, great.

Silver and obsidian and frost cores*

The fact that frost golems drop a placeholder crystal kinda belies that there is more to come for mountains… hopefully.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Valtonen posted:

Silver and obsidian and frost cores*

The fact that frost golems drop a placeholder crystal kinda belies that there is more to come for mountains… hopefully.

Yeah forgot about obsidian, which is useful for sure. Kinda wish you could do fire arrows with obsidian so they packed more of a punch.

Pathing kinda killed Moder in the boss fight, she flew around, did some cool moves, then landed and didn't do anything for ~20 seconds, then took off. During those 20 seconds on the ground I just ripped as many arrows as I could for free. I'm assuming this was because it couldn't path around the terrain that well due to size.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
You can also build a trench with a roof. Her breath doesn't have any Z axis so if you're below her you're basically immune to that. And she won't melee you if you're under a roof. I'm thinking this exploit is half the reason they added some AI logic to make enemies attack buildings to reach you so not sure if that trick still works.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I'm pretty sure digging a trench and slicing a dragon's belly open from below is a canonical way to kill them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You take the high road, I'll go the low. There, the crevasse. Fill it with your mighty juice!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a benefit to framing out the layout of the house with beams before construction? I see a lot of Youtubers finish the layout with beams, but I've never done that. Is it just for aesthetics or is there a tangible benefit?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a benefit to framing out the layout of the house with beams before construction? I see a lot of Youtubers finish the layout with beams, but I've never done that. Is it just for aesthetics or is there a tangible benefit?

It makes it easy to double check your heights and intersections before you spend hours putting up walls and floors

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Core Wood beams are also a lot more stable than walls and floors would be on their own. If you want to build a multi storey structure, framing out your house makes sure the floors and roofs don't collapse.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And if you want a nice log cabin look you can use core wood as the walls too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

When most people frame, they do core wood, which yeah has a lot of different benefits. It lets you plan the footprint and how it interacts with terrain if you from the floor first, and makes it a lot easier to add supports if supports are needed. It gives you a solid horizontal base to build from right away as well. Framing the walls works both as reinforcement (because core wood is strong so you'll want corewood support beams added in at some point anyway) and as a planning tool, letting you work out the general shape and size and angles of the structure with a building option that is twice as long as every other one, making placement faster and easier. I like putting lots of weird angles in my buildings, so framing also lets me make sure I know everything is going to meetup right without having to rebuild a few hundred objects.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The long beams are good for planning circles too. Plant a vertical beam into the ground where you want the center of the tower, then attach long core wood beams horizontally like spokes. The ends of the poles give snap points for the circular walls.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I tried using core wood to frame, but I found I had to add stairs to the entryway, which was kind of a pain in the butt.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bioshuffle posted:

I tried using core wood to frame, but I found I had to add stairs to the entryway, which was kind of a pain in the butt.

You might be able to use the hoe to level the ground to the top of the core wood at the entry way. I had to do this for a few small bridges

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

You had to add stairs because the ground wasn’t quite even enough I assume? I think if you put a small core wood beam between 2 large core wood beams, and then remove the small beam and replace it with stairs that should make everything even? If you need to you can also dig a hole where the stairs will be, snap the stairs between the 2 large beams, and then refill the hole to the desired-ish height. If there’s only a tiny bit of stairs above the ground it should still act as stairs.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you just put core wood beams on top of level ground you'll need stairs. You can make your "foundation" frame in regular wood beams and then snap core wood vertical poles to those and have the core wood poles stay blue.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Picked this up with a group that does a weekly gamenight and it quickly turned into nightly gamenight as we dove headfirst into the game.

We just finished the core gameplay line killed Yagluth so we might have to shelve it until a few of the big updates come through.

Had the best time in years with a multiplayer game and I hope they keep up the solid content with updates.

Wellllllll maybe I'll log in for some base building now and again.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I finished my village awhile ago and just now got the itch to try this game in VR for the first time. My main base is large enough to drop me to 15-25 fps and it is an absolutely unplayable slideshow in VR. But once I was able to escape that, man, I was blown away by this game all over again. The VHVR mod really works great now that it has support for hand motions. I might have to start world #4 to really experience this and keep my bases small enough for it to render. Has anyone else tried the VR mod and do you know how to nock and fire an arrow? :buddy: I can ready the bow but can't figure that out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Reik posted:

If you just put core wood beams on top of level ground you'll need stairs. You can make your "foundation" frame in regular wood beams and then snap core wood vertical poles to those and have the core wood poles stay blue.

I just raise up the ground a bit most of the time, but sometimes yeah I'll snap on stairs such that like only the top step is visible.

I also ned to remember that my building experience is fundamentally different than for a lot of other folks since I use manual snap points. They make framing SO incredibly easy since building a wall of frames. Normal people have to like... walk around and find the right way to look at stuff and all that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Wellllllll maybe I'll log in for some base building now and again.

Man I really thought this same thing. I downloaded our serve map and was like "Oh man I'm gonna do up all the things I always wanted to do to the base but didn't have the time/materials for in creative mode." and I realized that what's really magical about this game is that every base we made on the server was so absolutely functional. All the hard edges were rounded off by paths from forge to coal furnace to storage to bed. Changing anything just felt like a pale imitation of what we already had.

I mean, not only do the bases and buildings in this game look cool with almost no effort, the game itself really pushes you to design a functional "lived in" kind of base. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I took the plunge and started a new character and another world in VR. Guys, guys, guys, you gotta try this! I was running around actually swinging my arms to kill greylings and boars, knock down bushes and trees for wood, reaching out to interact with berry bushes and mushrooms, and just having a blast. Building is trickier but still very doable and I got myself a nice little house with a fire and a bed in the middle of a circle of large stones and was able to connect the stones with stakewalls to get everything protected. Everything is BIGGER in VR. I was staring waaay up at trees I was cutting down to see which way they'd fall and yelling my head off and scrambling to dodge if they moved towards me. I hate 2m tall walls in the regular game, they're too short to see anything in 3rd person, but they're perfectly cozy in VR so I don't feel the need to make extra tall structures. Stones and flint are hard to see in the grass when your point of view isn't way up in the air but they're so satisfying to run around and gather. The downside is it can be hard to get the UI to stop moving so you can actually look at it and there's some bugs like when I slept in my bed for the first time which rotated my body without rotating my view but apparently also rotated my movement controls to match my body so I had to relog to fix it. Still it's such an interesting and nifty experience almost actually being IN the world that I'm hooked again despite already spending 800+ hours in the game.