Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Living in Toronto is surreal for this stuff because easily recognized areas are regularly used as stand ins for pretty much every North American city at one point or another.

Pacific Rim was the worst for this with Toronto standing in for "downtown Tokyo" in one scene after being used for rural Alaska a few scenes prior.

One of the few movies to really portray rural Alaska right was 30 Days of Night, and like that one about the serial killer with Nic Cage since it was partly filmed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My favorite 'wait I know that place' was watching the SpongeBob movie and during the final live-action chase scene at the beach they passed the bank I used to work at in Atlanta.

That and hanging out at an artist co-op late one night walking through a courtyard and seeing this huge 1920's looking courthouse building in a place I don't remember ever seeing a huge 1920's looking courthouse. I'm standing there marveling at this like it was the monolith from 2001 until I walked around back and saw it a movie set for the Hunger Games sequel.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Someone mentioned Boston subbing as New York but in a more hyper regional New Englandism, in Kevin Can F*ck Himself, Brockton is standing in for Worcester.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Len posted:

Supernatural has an episode set in Canton, Ohio at a wax museum. There isn't a wax museum in Canton and as far as I know the only one in this godforsaken state is out in Ashland and Bible themed

The 24 episode set in Kidron OH (which was presented as a moderate sized city and which in reality may have at some point since I last visited gotten their first traffic light) also comes to mind.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Last Chance posted:

So he shot in a location that was cheaper than going to the real location? How is that the "opposite" of shooting in a cheaper (with tax breaks) location instead of the real location?

Masquerading a place in your own country as a foreign place is the opposite of:

Spermando posted:

fly your crew to a foreign country to pass it off as your own country.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spermando posted:

Yes, but I assumed there was a reason why you'd fly your crew to a foreign country to pass it off as your own country. I didn't consider tax breaks.

Sometimes you do it because you are a legendary director with tons of clout and you hate flying yourself, so London will have to do as a substitute for New York.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's shots in Eyes Wide Shut were Tom Cruise is walking on a treadmill in a London studio with footage of New York rear projected behind him.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

It would have been really expensive to actually film on location in the Matrix though, so it’s understandable that they used another city to stand in for Matrix City.

If it were that expensive how come Reboot managed it for four seasons huh?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Another thing to factor into shooting cities besides tax breaks is how much the local government is willing to accommodate a film crew. Closing streets for filming is expensive and messing with traffic is something that pisses off voters something fierce, so you need a city where the electeds think they'll gain more from bringing Hollywood money (and "prestige," for whatever that's worth) to their city than they'll lose from angry citizens caught in traffic jams/business owners who lose foot traffic.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's shots in Eyes Wide Shut were Tom Cruise is walking on a treadmill in a London studio with footage of New York rear projected behind him.

Kubrick had someone go out and take pictures of nearly every doorway in London scouting for a set for the scene where Tom Cruise meets the hooker during that filming process. The journalist Jon Ronson was invited to go through Kubrick's home archive after he died and found box after box of photos, including one of his own doorstep.

The guy never threw anything away. At one point he was considering doing a Napoleon biography and even though he never started filming there was a room of filing cabinets containing detailed descriptions of nearly every day of Napoleon's life - where he was, what he was doing according to court records etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

The 24 episode set in Kidron OH (which was presented as a moderate sized city and which in reality may have at some point since I last visited gotten their first traffic light) also comes to mind.

I lived in Wichita for 9 years, and I can safely say that they did not film portions of Planes Trains and Automobiles there.

At least the airport is generic enough to be passable, I did see a different movie (can't recall the name) where ICT is portrayed as a massive multi-level airport with escalators and glass railings. In reality it's dinky as gently caress, with one level, and just has a big parking lot.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Some directors aren’t allowed to come to the US or they’ll be arrested

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Whybird posted:

If it were that expensive how come Reboot managed it for four seasons huh?

That's because it was set in mainframe city, which is in Colorado.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

BgRdMchne posted:

Some directors aren’t allowed to come to the US or they’ll be arrested

Like that scumfuck Roman Polanski.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DreadUnknown posted:

Like that scumfuck Roman Polanski.

I hate that that's a controversial opinion in some circles.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm gonna have a controversial hot take here:

Chinatown isn't that great. Or at least not great enough to excuse child rape.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

Do you have something in mind that would be?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Budapest has stood in for late 19th century to mid-20th century Paris a few times and it absolutely works since it really does look more like Paris in that period than modern Paris does. (No Eiffel tower tho) Budapest has lots of slightly shabby art nouveau-style apartment blocks.
It's a giant pity that that shitbag Orban has taken over there because I love Budapest so much but can't justify going back there until they get a less horrific government.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Crespolini posted:

Do you have something in mind that would be?

I guess I would know it if I saw it

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Asterite34 posted:

I’d modify this to suggest that it is great, but the direction is low on the list of reasons why.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Meanwhile here I am waiting for yet another hilarious failed take on the Netherlands..
Looking at you Spiderman Far From Home

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Meanwhile here I am waiting for yet another hilarious failed take on the Netherlands..
Looking at you Spiderman Far From Home

Not a movie, but I always found this hilarious:

The Netherlands is quite known for having no mountains whatsoever.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jul 7, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I think I've mentioned it before, but one of the most accurate portrayals of Montana in visual media is a loving mecha anime called Argento Soma.

They even got the state police uniforms and the license plates right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

For The Mandalorian ILM developed a new technology where locations are created using a giant LED wall on a set and it is able to adjust quick enough that they can sync the display to the camera movement in order to fake depth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

docbeard posted:

I haven't been through Kidron in almost a decade, but I checked Google and as of the most recent picture taken this year it does not have one

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

DreadUnknown posted:

One of the few movies to really portray rural Alaska right was 30 Days of Night, and like that one about the serial killer with Nic Cage since it was partly filmed there.

The weirdest Alaska movie is Insomnia because some of it is actually filmed in Alaska (and the rest is filmed in parts of BC that at least resemble Southeast Alaska) but the parts of the state where the movie was filmed don't look anything like the part of the state where it was actually set. There are no glaciers or lush forests anywhere near the Arctic Circle.

lavaca has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Jul 8, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh drat yeah I forgot about Insomnia, there are a shitload of forests but yeah the Interior is all taiga scrub nightmare mosquito hellscape.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh drat yeah I forgot about Insomnia, there are a shitload of forests but yeah the Interior is all taiga scrub nightmare mosquito hellscape.

Lived in Fairbanks for 3 years, you’re underselling it :gonk:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is there a recommended part of Alaska to move to, if one were so inclined?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yes, many parts.
Southeast and Southcentral is gorgeous fjords and inlets and coastal boreal rainforest. The interior is a nest of lakes and streams with massive mountains bounding either side. The amount of wild, untouched wilderness is unmatched.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
90s sitcoms loved having someone trying to tutor the bad boy character in English or make him cultured, and then get flustered and interrupt him when he said “Eyyy, I love poetry! ‘There once was a man from Nantucket…’” and I never knew what the actual poem was.

I’ve tried to look it up before, and never could find the actual poem that everyone apparently knew. Presumably it it involves the phrase “gently caress it,” but I think the results I found said it ends with “And as for the bucket, Nan tuck it.” I considered trying to look it up again before posting this, but then I thought, nah.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Dr Christmas posted:

90s sitcoms loved having someone trying to tutor the bad boy character in English or make him cultured, and then get flustered and interrupt him when he said “Eyyy, I love poetry! ‘There once was a man from Nantucket…’” and I never knew what the actual poem was.

I’ve tried to look it up before, and never could find the actual poem that everyone apparently knew. Presumably it it involves the phrase “gently caress it,” but I think the results I found said it ends with “And as for the bucket, Nan tuck it.” I considered trying to look it up again before posting this, but then I thought, nah.

I don't think there is an actual poem that's being referred to, it's just that it's obvious where a rhyme for "Nantucket" is going to end up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

I don't think there is an actual poem that's being referred to, it's just that it's obvious where a rhyme for "Nantucket" is going to end up.

The schoolyard version I remember was "with a dick so long he could suck it"

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight
Spoilered if you'd like to keep the mystery:

There once was a man from Nantucket
Whose dick was so long he could suck it
He said with a grin as he wiped off his chin/wiping cum from his chin
"If my ear were a oval office I could gently caress it."

I have no idea where I learned it.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

It's a common beginning to limericks because it will end with gently caress it or suck it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Orphaned punchlines used to be a common thing to let the audience know that a character was supposed to be witty without actually showing them saying something funny. Like the one I saw in basically everything growing up, "so I said to him, 'That's no X, that's my wife'!".

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Yeah, not sure if it's an actual "proper" poem as much as its just an example of a Limerick which always follow that "there once was a man from..." format with that particular meter and A/A/B/B/A rhyme scheme. There's likely loads of slight variations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BioEnchanted posted:

Orphaned punchlines used to be a common thing to let the audience know that a character was supposed to be witty without actually showing them saying something funny. Like the one I saw in basically everything growing up, "so I said to him, 'That's no X, that's my wife'!".
To this day I think of the Dexter's Lab "that's no hydroxyl ion, that's my wife!" every time I read the word "hydroxyl"

You wouldn't think it would come up as often as it does

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The one I grew up with was:

There once was a gal from Nantucket
Who sailed 'cross the sea in a bucket
But when she got there
They asked for a fare
So she lifted her skirt and said "gently caress it"