Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There were a couple of promotional shorts too for Covenant that weren't intended to be in the movie but IMO should have just been in the movie and would have improved it. Especially the one where they're having a party before going into cryosleep and Jame Franco's character leaves early to for his pod because he's feeling sick anyway and says "I'm burnin' up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/07/alien-tv-series-noah-hawley

interview with Noah Hawley about his new ALIEN TV SERIES! for FX

hawley is responsible for Fargo and Legion, and has written some okay books. i'm interested to see where it goes

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Neo Rasa posted:

That just makes me realize, they probably only give a poo poo about lifeforms they can impregnate or consume. I know the androids in Alien are like replicants in that they're more "grown" than "built" but considering David's whole plot in Covenant I'm assuming a facehugger can't impregnate an android and that androids probably don't taste good as a food source either?

Paging Xenomrph - Has an alien ever burst out of an android in the comics?

I might be misremembering but didn't they do this in the book Alien: The Cold Forge? One scientist had an "I can barely move" bone or something disease. She used some dumb James Cameron Avatar thing to cast her mind into a synth body. She wanted to steal an Alien to make a cure, so she tried to smuggle it out in her synth Avatar. I don't remember much of the book tho...

Fake Edit:

No I was wrong. She just wanted some face-hugger DNA or fluid or something, and used the synth to get face-hugged and store the DNA/fluid in a special stomach pouch.

quote:

<the scientist> sends him into the Xenomorph kennels — now turned into a Hive by the creatures — and has him impregnated by a Facehugger; while there is no chance of a Chestburster developing within his synthetic body, the praepotens sample injected into him is safely stored within his artificial stomach.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/07/alien-tv-series-noah-hawley

interview with Noah Hawley about his new ALIEN TV SERIES! for FX

hawley is responsible for Fargo and Legion, and has written some okay books. i'm interested to see where it goes

I've been hype for this for a long time. I'm really interested to see how they keep a story for it going for a season of TV. Might be cool it they make each season it's own story with different characters or whatever.

Eager to see when this is going to take place too. Kind of hoping it's either in the Isolation time between Alien and Aliens or like, significantly further into the future if not.

ScottyJSno posted:

No I was wrong. She just wanted some face-hugger DNA or fluid or something, and used the synth to get face-hugged and store the DNA/fluid in a special stomach pouch.

I love this, that's some Skynet sending advanced weaponry into the past inside blobs of flesh galaxy brain lol

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Is Into Charybdis a sequel to Cold Forge, or is it a standalone novel?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Demon Semen posted:

It’s written by the same guy but it’s my understanding that it’s a standalone novel.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Demon Semen posted:

Its a sequel

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I would like a fan edit of Prometheus where it adds back the deleted scenes because I think they do help the film. But I have no interest in any that preserve “””””the canon”””” or “my head canon” poo poo.

I love ridley’s vision.
That exists and I've seen a cut of it, though I don't remember where I found it. They incorporated all the shorts, but the deleted scenes had workprint VFX or just green screen backgrounds where they never got to the effects at all. There were also some visible wires in action scenes. But if you can get past that, an extended cut is out there.

The first time I saw the movie I felt like it went in too many directions, but after a rewatch years later I got what they were trying to do with the unpredictability of the slime. It kind of spins the whole franchise in a different light when you consider that these things come from countless mutations, experimented on and scrapped until they got their perfect weapon. I think that would be an interesting direction for an anthology series in this universe; following different mutations and seeing what evolves. I'm picturing someone evolving mounts for combat, something with lower acid content that can serve as a food source, another as a domesticated pet, etc.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I don’t have too much confidence in the fire team game - what little I’ve seen looks decent but there hasn’t been much shown and there hasn’t been any buzz. However, barring any absolutely horrible reviews, I’m gonna pick it up, been really into PvE games recently for that fun co op experience with buddies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

That exists and I've seen a cut of it, though I don't remember where I found it. They incorporated all the shorts, but the deleted scenes had workprint VFX or just green screen backgrounds where they never got to the effects at all. There were also some visible wires in action scenes. But if you can get past that, an extended cut is out there.

The first time I saw the movie I felt like it went in too many directions, but after a rewatch years later I got what they were trying to do with the unpredictability of the slime. It kind of spins the whole franchise in a different light when you consider that these things come from countless mutations, experimented on and scrapped until they got their perfect weapon. I think that would be an interesting direction for an anthology series in this universe; following different mutations and seeing what evolves. I'm picturing someone evolving mounts for combat, something with lower acid content that can serve as a food source, another as a domesticated pet, etc.

Regarding the canon, I do find it surprised that people (not you personally just in general) were annoyed at the goo being unpredictable as if that conflicts with the past movies where people are transformed into xenomorph eggs if you prefer Scott's version which makes the alien an extremely dangerous solo being being, but then they're the hierarchal drone/queen setup that captures people for the eggs which the queen lays in Aliens. The egg in Alien 3's opening that I guess the queen carried and then placed around a corner where somehow no one saw it or thought to check around after THE ALIEN QUEEN was able to sneak aboard their ship.

I'm always surprised how much people care about canon when one already has to have volumes of fan theories just to have continuity work in the first three movies.

And then Prometheus comes a long and the unpredictable nature of the black goo and the things created by it takes care of that pretty handily by showing how all of those things are possible and people of course hated it

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Are any of the novels worth checking out? For reference, I like Alien/Aliens more than the other movies or Predator crossovers. Is there anything you'd recommend?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DorianGravy posted:

Are any of the novels worth checking out? For reference, I like Alien/Aliens more than the other movies or Predator crossovers. Is there anything you'd recommend?

If you can’t read the Labyrinth comic, read the novel. The comic is a lot better, but the novel is still good.

Cold Forge is a good time from what I remember.

I haven’t had a chance to read Phalanx yet but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

There are some of the older books that have varying degrees of quality depending on what you’re looking for out of them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

DorianGravy posted:

I though Cold Forge was excellent.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

The egg in Alien 3's opening that I guess the queen carried and then placed around a corner where somehow no one saw it or thought to check around after THE ALIEN QUEEN was able to sneak aboard their ship.

I've always thought Bishop smuggled it on since it was implied so heavily in both Aliens & Alien 3.

As for aliens and droids, the big one is the alien seeing David at the end of Covenant and attacking the screen with his face. Been a long time now but I recall it seemed to recognize him and wanted to maul him anyways?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"How did the egg(s) get aboard the Sulaco?" is one of those questions to which the answer can only be "writer fiat", because any explanation requires twisting events at the end of Aliens into a pretzel or plain making poo poo up ("the Queen had special royal facehugger eggs hidden inside her body!").

But the egg was there, so you just have to shrug and go with Giler and Hill's notorious phrase: "some bullshit happens".

The William Gibson script had an explanation (the Queen had somehow 'infected' Bishop and caused an egg to grow inside him during hypersleep), but the idea got dropped along with pretty much everything else of his. If the producers hadn't been absolutely wedded to the idea that 3 must follow on directly from Aliens they could have come up with any number of reasons for a new infestation, but welp.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The Alien queen constantly shoots off spores that grow into eggs, they just do so most efficiently inside her tube thingy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The queen pooped it out real quick.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Maybe a few facehuggers hitched a ride on the queen and dropped off like before she stabbed Bishop? Like insurance or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Noir89 posted:

Maybe a few facehuggers hitched a ride on the queen and dropped off like before she stabbed Bishop? Like insurance or something.

But there's literally an egg on the ship.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SUNKOS posted:

I've always thought Bishop smuggled it on since it was implied so heavily in both Aliens & Alien 3.
Wait what?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what?

The egg is in the EEV they flew back in which itself raises a whole lot of questions about how it both got on and how no one noticed this (especially after the alien queen's surprise attack and blasting her into space, Ripley and Newt are the last ones to go to sleep and you know there's no way in hell she wouldn't have given things a quick doublecheck) and why it even opened up when clearly no one was around.

When Ripley talks to Bishop in Alien 3, Bishop just straight up specifically says the egg was with them all the way. Ripley doesn't interpret that as a betrayal on his part but like, it makes it even weirder - Bishop was completely wrecked when they wrapped him up at the end of Aliens, and got even more completely wrecked when the Sulaco crashes, how can he know this? I know he's an android so he doesn't technically go into cryo-sleep but they clearly had him wrapped up in what seemed like the setting's equivalent of intensive care for androids. So she has him go through the ship's logs and read out the computer's last words but like, like we conveniently get a lot of specific and at the same time not specific information in that scene.

lmao need a trilogy of films in real time of that xenomorph that kills Spunkmeyer and Ferro killing them, running back to the nest to grab some eggs, flying it back to the Sulaco, and placing it on the EEV that Bishop calls back down, then flying back to kamikaze attack everyone that's on the surface. Like how there's Halloween fan films of the orderlies in the asylum giving Michael driving lessons. :lol:

I guess this validates what I was saying about the movies in the first place. I have no problem with there just being an egg there because yeah it makes zero loving sense with how Aliens ends but it doesn't matter because Alien 3 Assembly Cut is loving awesome and I'm perfectly fine with "some bullshit happens". I feel like Prometheus and Covenant got a disproportionate amount of poo poo for "continuity issues" that have always been part of the series.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 7, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

banned from Starbucks posted:

But there's literally an egg on the ship.

Tbf It was a while ago I watched it so forgott about that :v:

edit: On reread I also just discovered it was typed out into the post that started this lol, my bad!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I’m sure it bugs at least one other person, an EEV is an Emergency Escape Vehicle. A drop ship is not an EEV although I suppose it can be used for that role. The EEV is what crash lands at the start of Alien 3 (was the guidance supposed to be damaged by the acid or something?).

Also the egg is clearly on the Sulaco itself:

We don’t get much context for that shot IIRC, but the only vaguely plausible spot for it I can think of is underneath the grating in the landing bay. Maybe the Queen tucked it under there while searching for Newt :shrug:

Edit: actually yeah, it does look like they mean for it to be under the grating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Ca6rcjTh8

david_a fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 7, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

Since I’m sure it bugs at least one other person, an EEV is an Emergency Escape Vehicle. A drop ship is not an EEV although I suppose it can be used for that role. The EEV is what crash lands at the start of Alien 3 (was the guidance supposed to be damaged by the acid or something?).

Also the egg is clearly on the Sulaco itself:

We don’t get much context for that shot IIRC, but the only vaguely plausible spot for it I can think of is underneath the grating in the landing bay. Maybe the Queen tucked it under there while searching for Newt :shrug:

I hosed up in saying this you're right, I meant to say on the dropship - to me I always thought that was part of the seating area in the dropship but it does look more like it's part of the under the grating bits of the Sulaco.

This is interesting though, like is there a breakdown of the Sulaco in the technical manual? It would be cool if they could pinpoint an exact spot for it.

Also LOL that the egg itself doesn't set anything off. I love Alien 3 but they really did put themselves in a corner trying to directly follow Aliens.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

This is interesting though, like is there a breakdown of the Sulaco in the technical manual? It would be cool if they could pinpoint an exact spot for it.

Yes, but it’s way too coarse to get into details like that. The Sulaco is enormous and designing the inside of it to that level of detail would take forever.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

I hosed up in saying this you're right, I meant to say on the dropship - to me I always thought that was part of the seating area in the dropship but it does look more like it's part of the under the grating bits of the Sulaco.
Watching the clip again, you can see a ceiling to the right of the whatever-those-rack-things-are where the egg is. I thought it was meant to be the changing room part of the hypersleep chamber, but who knows?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

According to Fox, the honest to god on-the-books answer for where the egg came from was “the audience isn’t supposed to ask that.”

No, really.

It definitely wasn’t Bishop though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone once said it was supposed to be under a table in the mess hall but I dont remember where I heard that.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Maybe bishop blacked out at some point and his secret weyland prime directive kicked in and compelled him to preserve a specimen. Then he woke up but didn't remember

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe bishop blacked out at some point and his secret weyland prime directive kicked in and compelled him to preserve a specimen. Then he woke up but didn't remember

Maybe Ripley did it, in the same manner

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Wizard did it. A space wizard....

drat Jedi.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe Ripley did it, in the same manner

Bishop says "it was with us all the way," clearly that egg was Burke, they morphed him into an egg like in Alien and he managed to shimmy back on just before it finished.

Watching the intro again, the EEV basically being a big module that the cryopods can all slide into in a pinch after which it just floats away and blasts off seems like both a really smart for the time and also with how technology interacts today an incredibly bad idea. Hope your Weyland-Yutani EVR (EEV Validation Registry) app can get a signal out there and your subscription is up to date.

Xenomrph posted:

According to Fox, the honest to god on-the-books answer for where the egg came from was “the audience isn’t supposed to ask that.”

No, really.

It definitely wasn’t Bishop though.

"It's a long story."

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I assumed the queen has a panic egg ability if the nest is destroyed or she gets separated from the hive. It’s kind of a silly hand-waving of a plot hole away but it’s plausible.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2021

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Quote is not edit, my apologies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A janitor found some black goo from the queen as he was cleaning the hanger and it morphed him into an egg thats my head canon.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alien 3 and ressurection is just ripley's cryosleep fever dream none of it is canon

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

all 4 movies exist in their own separate multiverses and represent one possible iteration of Ellen Ripley. So 2 and 3 don’t actually have to be directly related to each other, as they represent different timelines

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Space Jam posted:

all 4 movies exist in their own separate multiverses and represent one possible iteration of Ellen Ripley. So 2 and 3 don’t actually have to be directly related to each other, as they represent different timelines

It helps that the cryotubes seen in ‘Alien3’ are the ‘Alien’-style ones, and don’t match the ones from ‘Aliens’.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If you can’t read the Labyrinth comic, read the novel. The comic is a lot better, but the novel is still good.

Cold Forge is a good time from what I remember.

I haven’t had a chance to read Phalanx yet but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

There are some of the older books that have varying degrees of quality depending on what you’re looking for out of them.

MrMojok posted:

I though Cold Forge was excellent.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about four chapters into the Cold Forge audiobook, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. It's neat to see a little more of Weyland-Yutani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has Chestburster incubation ever been consistent between films or is it always just plot dependent?

Also I know it's an alien but when I think eggs I think cracking open, not like folding open. Are there any animal eggs like that on Earth? There are a ton of animals, maybe there are eggs more like that I just don't know about.