Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
maybe being a game would be good? plenty of stuff don't work as anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'll probably check it out, I liked what I played of the first game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sell me or push me away from Digimon Sleuth Cyber Story Complete Edition. Never played Digimon before. I'm watching reviews but I don't get a sense of a few certain things:
- Do dungeons drag on? Or are they super obtuse/difficult?
- How frequent are the save points or is it an autosave deal?
- How grindy and easy to understand/manipulate is the collectathon aspect? I'm mostly eyeing it because I just finished my SMT Nocturne run and I kinda wanna do more "Get character, make it how I want," but I have no history with Digimon, so I don't know who's actually good, or if there are any hidden stats/parameters like I hear Pokemon has (something called EV, according to my friends who are big fans). It's okay if it's obtuse but I don't really have to engage with it or can circumvent it.
- Can I skip cutscenes, and if I do, is there a way to figure out what my next objective is

I'm looking at this specific one because it's on sale on Steam, and it seems relatively recent. I think it's a couple of games? Not sure

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Artelier posted:

Sell me or push me away from Digimon Sleuth Cyber Story Complete Edition. Never played Digimon before. I'm watching reviews but I don't get a sense of a few certain things:
- Do dungeons drag on? Or are they super obtuse/difficult?
- How frequent are the save points or is it an autosave deal?
- How grindy and easy to understand/manipulate is the collectathon aspect? I'm mostly eyeing it because I just finished my SMT Nocturne run and I kinda wanna do more "Get character, make it how I want," but I have no history with Digimon, so I don't know who's actually good, or if there are any hidden stats/parameters like I hear Pokemon has (something called EV, according to my friends who are big fans). It's okay if it's obtuse but I don't really have to engage with it or can circumvent it.
- Can I skip cutscenes, and if I do, is there a way to figure out what my next objective is

I'm looking at this specific one because it's on sale on Steam, and it seems relatively recent. I think it's a couple of games? Not sure

Cyber Sleuth Story Complete is two games: Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory, the latter occurring story-wise both before and alongside Cyber Sleuth.

1. The dungeons are short, linear, and simplistic. There's not much to them.
2. You can save wherever and whenever.
3. The entire game is effectively a grind simulator. The whole thing is built around you constantly digivolving and de-digivolving monsters to unlock new monsters and improve the ones you have. If you're not up for a lot of grinding for the sake of grinding you will be turned off, because it's the heart and soul of the game. Look up a guide on how to get started on cutting down the grind - there's some monsters/items you can get that massively lessen the grind to "reasonable" instead of "lmao gently caress off".
4. You can skip cutscenes, but it can be pretty confusing about what to do without them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

the thing is, the anime is actually very good. its just not doing well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I laughed when they revealed the dark magical girl forms with one of them shooting a giant rifle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Cyber Sleuth Story Complete is two games: Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory, the latter occurring story-wise both before and alongside Cyber Sleuth.

1. The dungeons are short, linear, and simplistic. There's not much to them.
2. You can save wherever and whenever.
3. The entire game is effectively a grind simulator. The whole thing is built around you constantly digivolving and de-digivolving monsters to unlock new monsters and improve the ones you have. If you're not up for a lot of grinding for the sake of grinding you will be turned off, because it's the heart and soul of the game. Look up a guide on how to get started on cutting down the grind - there's some monsters/items you can get that massively lessen the grind to "reasonable" instead of "lmao gently caress off".
4. You can skip cutscenes, but it can be pretty confusing about what to do without them.

You can kill the grind and difficulty curve stone-dead the moment you get TacticianUSB's and a Sukamon, because XP gains stack (Three 2x multipliers? That's 8x the XP! On a digimon that has a passive 2x XP bonus for the party? 16x the XP! :unsmigghh:). Two of them loaded with TacticianUSB's will obliterate the grind and have you digivolving whatever your favorite digimon is in about ten minutes. If that.

Aside from a very dodgy and cheap translation, the story itself is pretty decent and Persona-lite. The sidequests, at least as much as are parseable under a machine translation, are somewhat interesting as well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You still have to grind cam tho. Or i guess i mean grind money to buy miracle meat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

You still have to grind cam tho. Or i guess i mean grind money to buy miracle meat

That's what BillionaireUSB's are for :v:.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Artelier posted:

Sell me or push me away from Digimon Sleuth Cyber Story Complete Edition.

I played through the first dungeon and the slow speed of everything from movement to animation to dialogue really killed it for me. Everything needed to be sped up 2x at least.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Motto posted:

I laughed when they revealed the dark magical girl forms with one of them shooting a giant rifle.

it's so funny

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dehry posted:

The anime is already doing so bad they cancelled a home release.

Wait, that happens? I've seen some real dogshit still get a box set.

Hell, the only one I can think of immediately that didn't was Musashi Gundoh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

secretly best girl posted:

Wait, that happens? I've seen some real dogshit still get a box set.

Hell, the only one I can think of immediately that didn't was Musashi Gundoh
its not about the quality of the show (as mentioned, its good) its that people aren't watching it. it happens sometimes but you never hear about it because it happens to shows nobody is watching.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

The first game wasn't good so

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The first game wasn't good so

:wrong:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really wanted to like Blue Reflection, but the completely zero-stakes encounters, bizarre story (maybe not bizarre, per se, but I just remember it being kind of weird and dreamlike), and weird directionless dungeons just didn't do it for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bizarre and dreamlike story and weirdly aimless fights just describes the low budget 2000s anime vibe blue reflection is made of, it's a feature

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Working on some Vagrant Story dissection infographics. This game has a bad rep for being obtuse and complicated, I don't think it is really (although the UI and gameplay is clunky) so I started working on some help sheets. But after an hour, this feels to messy. Is this decipherable to anyone who has played it?
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1412574892629823488?s=20

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can kill the grind and difficulty curve stone-dead the moment you get TacticianUSB's and a Sukamon, because XP gains stack (Three 2x multipliers? That's 8x the XP! On a digimon that has a passive 2x XP bonus for the party? 16x the XP! :unsmigghh:). Two of them loaded with TacticianUSB's will obliterate the grind and have you digivolving whatever your favorite digimon is in about ten minutes. If that.

Aside from a very dodgy and cheap translation, the story itself is pretty decent and Persona-lite. The sidequests, at least as much as are parseable under a machine translation, are somewhat interesting as well.

You can break the Switch version by just...doing nothing.

No, really.

The in-game clock doesn't stop when you put the console to sleep, so digimon that are training or whatever keep gaining XP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I really wanted to like Blue Reflection, but the completely zero-stakes encounters, bizarre story (maybe not bizarre, per se, but I just remember it being kind of weird and dreamlike), and weird directionless dungeons just didn't do it for me.
yeah all of this is what i liked about it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah all of this is what i liked about it

exactly

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Electromax posted:

Working on some Vagrant Story dissection infographics. This game has a bad rep for being obtuse and complicated, I don't think it is really (although the UI and gameplay is clunky) so I started working on some help sheets. But after an hour, this feels to messy. Is this decipherable to anyone who has played it?
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1412574892629823488?s=20

Yeah, this is a "Vagrant Story for Experts" info graphic.

Vagrant Story for Dummies:
*Ignore Class and Element; just use the appropriate gems/spells to get you there.
*Two things to worry about : PP and Type
*A weapon's PP goes up when you use the weapon, and steadily decreases when you aren't using it
*Yeah, all that weapon swapping you're doing is actively detrimental
*Stick to 2/3 weapons. Slashing and Blunt are essential, Piercing is frankly optional
*Upgrade your stuff. Grinding a bit for equipment drops when you find humans/lizardfolk is recommended
*Try to keep your Risk low. Don't let your chains get past 7-8 hits.
*Analyze and Buffs are your friend. Always Herakles. Pop an Elemental buff if a boss has a weakness, otherwise Prostasia
*Different boss body parts have different strengths/weaknesses against Slash/Blunt, find it a good weak part and wail on it.
*Never stand directly in front of a Dragon
*Shields provide a huge defensive boost, something to consider against harder bosses

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's still grindy as hell once you have all that poo poo, it's just that your grind goals change in scope from "desperately dragging yourself across the line to Champion" to "grinding 30 digivolutions to max your ABI". The gameplay is fundamentally inseparable from being a big ol' grind simulator with not much else to recommend it, and I feel like it's very important that someone looking into it know that. It's also pretty goddamn grindy to get the TacticianUSBs first, involving a whooooole lot of save scumming to achieve in a reasonable period of time.

It's not necessarily a bad thing but not everyone likes that kind of gameplay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

It's still grindy as hell once you have all that poo poo, it's just that your grind goals change in scope from "desperately dragging yourself across the line to Champion" to "grinding 30 digivolutions to max your ABI". The gameplay is fundamentally inseparable from being a big ol' grind simulator with not much else to recommend it, and I feel like it's very important that someone looking into it know that. It's also pretty goddamn grindy to get the TacticianUSBs first, involving a whooooole lot of save scumming to achieve in a reasonable period of time.

It's not necessarily a bad thing but not everyone likes that kind of gameplay.

You actually get a free one out of the first tournament at the Arcade, and that alone can get you going quite a ways. But yeah, I totally get what you mean.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Endorph posted:

the thing is, the anime is actually very good. its just not doing well.

Yeah like, the anime is legit really good if you like anime.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yeah like, the anime is legit really good if you like anime.
And if you don't like anime, why is Blue Reflection on your radar in the first place?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe I like sad lesbians

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Maybe I like sad lesbians
if you like that then why dont you like anime

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What a tragic paradox...

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

What's a good hidden gem jrpg? I wanna get into a really big and dense jrpg, but I've tried or beaten most of the big blockbuster stuff of the last decade that people recommend. I tried some of the Falcom games, but couldn't really get into either of the translated Trails series.

Have you played The Last Remnant?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reik posted:

They asked for a good JRPG.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they asked for a good post

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

They asked for a good JRPG.

Uh huh, and?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Reik posted:

joke responses aside, I've always heard it praised pretty consistently for the PC version at least, as it eliminates a ton of the grinding and problems the original console version had. Most recommendations for it even include mentions to be careful if you are following a walkthrough for the console or PC version as the QoL changes were massive.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Last Remnant has the distinction of being the only Square title on the Switch to have never gone on sale. It's like they forgot about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
really glad i can use turbo for this gil farming in ff2 that i gotta do just to buy one new spell and some weapon upgrades lol

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Last Remnant has the distinction of being the only Square title on the Switch to have never gone on sale. It's like they forgot about it.

I'm pretty sure it's only like $20 at least?

I did two full 100% playthroughs of the game when it originally came out, the combat and character/union building are very unique and crunchy.

Reik fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 8, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

why did some people think ffviir was going to excise the humor after this game came out

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as the kind of broke brain idiot who enjoyed the first game:

Is Death End Re;Quest as bad on consoles as it is for PC with crashing? eesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Reik posted:

I'm pretty sure it's only like $20 at least?

I did two full 100% playthroughs of the game when it originally came out, the combat and character/union building are very unique and crunchy.

Do you think it's worth playing through if I previously made it ~75% of the way through the game before? I bought it years ago on Xbox 360 and made it to some later game boss fight that was near unwinnable for me due to some janky scaling on the Xbox version (I think if you did side quests the game got harder at an exponential pace or something?)

I've wanted to try it again on the pc version, but not sure if I'm better off watching a let's play and calling it a day.