Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Seemlar posted:

That seems like a perfectly fine way to do it, other than the third set basically being First Contact for the price of three movies

The worst case scenario would have been 4k TMP only being the Directors Cut, like how in the dvd era you were stuck with the DC and couldn't get the Theatrical Cut anywhere

Well...

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1412890802217525251?s=20

Hot take: The only bad thing about the DC is (or rather, are) the replaced sound effects. Otherwise, it's the better, faster edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cross-Section posted:

Well...

Hot take: The only bad thing about the DC is (or rather, are) the replaced sound effects. Otherwise, it's the better, faster edition.

That was in fact mentioned further up the post chain, I think they were just clarifying that it's not the only version being put out

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sash! posted:

Bajoran law: you can't kill your own clone
Federation law: kill your own clone if you want

Odo was very much the "you can beat the rap but not the ride" style of space cop.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

That was in fact mentioned further up the post chain, I think they were just clarifying that it's not the only version being put out

Lol it's literally 2 posts above, oops

In any case, good to have official word, I guess.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

Bajoran law: you can't kill your own clone
Federation law: kill your own clone if you want

Odo is a cop and luvs 2 incarcerate

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Well...

That and the weird dissolve effect they put on the text in the opening credits.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When they say "exclusive to Paramount+" that better be besides the physical disc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bull3964 posted:

When they say "exclusive to Paramount+" that better be besides the physical disc.

It says "launch with an exclusive window on Paramount+" so that leaves plenty of room for other physical & digital options, and even other streaming services eventually

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, no, you launch with the disc, not sone nebulous window later.

I remind you that TWOK has been finished in 4k for YEARS and still not available on disc.

Don't trust them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Box art has leaked for the 1-4 set and it's expectedly terrible.

Yeah, lets put Spock and Kirk in TMP uniforms and McCoy in the 2-6 uniform. Who needs coherency?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Khan and Kruge are part of the crew, who knew? Also where da whalez at? (POSSIBLE WHALE SIGHTING IN MIDDLE)

Sulu looks legit dope tho. gently caress all da rest

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, lets put Spock and Kirk in TMP uniforms and McCoy in the 2-6 uniform. Who needs coherency?

Why does the Enterprise have its high beams on? Also is that Uhura, Saavik, or a Tuvix transporter accident combining the both of them on there because they ran out of space?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bull3964 posted:

That looks like something you'd find on a glass from Burger King lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

COLLECT ALL FOUR BEFORE THEY RETURN TO THE 23rd CENTURY FOREVER!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So I guess there's an actual announcement now: https://www.startrek.com/news/celebrate-the-55th-anniversary-with-these-new-star-trek-releases-and-more

Isolated score for TMP is some good poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kesper North posted:

As an avid antiquing dude that resists buying every Spock glass he comes across, I think that's an insult to Burger King glasses

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cross-Section posted:

So I guess there's an actual announcement now: https://www.startrek.com/news/celebrate-the-55th-anniversary-with-these-new-star-trek-releases-and-more

Isolated score for TMP is some good poo poo.

Oh cool, both versions of WoK as well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wonder if my parents still have my 2001 Lord of the Rings light-up LED Strider plastic faux-crystal "goblet" from Burger King

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just hope they put actual work into the remasters. Indiana Jones looks great. Super 8, on the other hand, is barely an upgrade. Real hit or miss with them.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

As an avid antiquing dude that resists buying every Spock glass he comes across, I think that's an insult to Burger King glasses

You're absolutely right, those were actually very well done. (I have two.)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

lmao is that the weird slightly askew Enterprise from that early TMP promo poster

wtf

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I just hope they put actual work into the remasters. Indiana Jones looks great. Super 8, on the other hand, is barely an upgrade. Real hit or miss with them.

Who the gently caress cared about Super 8 enough to demand a remaster of it? The movie's only 10 years old, why the hell did it need a remaster?

Also if you ever want to understand just exactly how big of a hack JJ Abrams is without suffering through The Rise of Skywalker, Super 8 is a perfect alternate. It is the Ur Abrams experience.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Remaster Star Trek onto 8mm film

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nine-gear crow posted:

Who the gently caress cared about Super 8 enough to demand a remaster of it?

Who cared enough about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CPColin posted:

Remaster Star Trek onto 8mm film

The Voyage Home will never be better than my fuzzy VHS recording off a TV broadcast from like 1992.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Why does the Enterprise have its high beams on? Also is that Uhura, Saavik, or a Tuvix transporter accident combining the both of them on there because they ran out of space?
I think it’s meant to be Saavik but yeah, it’s a bad illustration

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Holy poo poo hard disagree this is so kitch it's AWESOME :swoon:

Hope they do the same style for the other two, especially the TNG one :allears:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's Uhura because that's the Mr. Adventure scene.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nope. it's Uhura from TSS shoving that arrogant dick into a closet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trickjaw posted:

Nope. it's Uhura from TSS shoving that arrogant dick into a closet.

No... this is FANTASY.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Cross-Section posted:

Well...

I don’t think that is that much of a hot take mostly because it isn’t really that much of a difference even though I prefer the theatrical cut because of the sound effects. That being said, the director’s cut of the Klingon battle sequence is genuinely worse.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Sisko in first contact helping Picard get over his trauma and PTSD would have been dope

Imagine the scene where Picard is mowing down the Borg on the Holodeck, and then Sisko confronting Picard. Picard tries to argue that he's doing them a favor but Sisko replies how the assimilated crew members don't have a choice and are victims of the Borg and suddenly he realises that he's making a case for how Picard isn't responsible for what he did as Locutus.

*sigh*.

Also, I hadn't re-listened to the original TNG theme (before they went with the TMP theme) for years, and man it's just another sign of the level of care that went into the Orville how much it sounds like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpeulsbv8o

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 8, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's been like 4 days and I'm still mad at Nemesis for existing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

a neat cape posted:

It's been like 20 years and I'm still mad at Nemesis for existing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

a neat cape posted:

It's been like 4 days and I'm still mad at Nemesis for existing

So it's sort of your nemesis then

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

lmao is that the weird slightly askew Enterprise from that early TMP promo poster

wtf

poo poo, you're right, that's the Phase 2 Enterprise, not the refit.

Someone noticed late after it was done and they just added a glow over the top of the deflector to try to hide the most obvious bit.

On another note, at least the art for the TOS steelbooks looks nice. (although it's the usual 'let's just lean on the three colors', still works well enough)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 8, 2021

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

bull3964 posted:

I learned to hate the minimalist movie artwork trend (like a red shovel stuck in the snow for Fargo) but this is crying out for a simple image.

My vote is for the dude melting on the transporter in TMP.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

MikeJF posted:

They’re going for the deep cut of adhering to that one ridic side profile matte painting of the Enterprise sliding up to V’GER that has the slope of the ship look insane.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

I realize he's like the 4th most important character in 1 out of these 4 movies, but I don't think the 7th Heaven pedophile needs to be on the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Someone noticed late after it was done and they just added a glow over the top of the deflector to try to hide the most obvious bit.

On another note, at least the art for the TOS steelbooks looks nice. (although it's the usual 'let's just lean on the three colors', still works well enough)

I dunno, I think the color selection really matches the set design of the Enterprise interior.