Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Ok Goons, I'm thinking of trying my luck on making my first miniatures cast through kickstarter. This will probably be a project I'll spend the Summer and early Autumn preparing for, and now I'm making a list of things that I need to do before pulling the trigger. I'm looking for advice on things that I might have forgotten.

1) The actual minis

I'm working on the minis. I've given myself a deadline at the end of Summer, and will be able to spend more time on sculpting during vacation. These are my first sculpts that I'm confident in that they are at least on par with stuff that's already out there on the market. My first range is antropomorphic fantasy duck adventurers, a small niche but one I think deserves more minis. I just love the look from my childhood RPGs where they were a playable race, as well as games set in the Glorantha setting (like King of Dragon Pass) https://farflungfigures.wordpress.com/

I would honestly say that I'm happy with 4-5 of my finished sculpts,. I'm aiming at having 10-12 good sculpts for the kickstarter, covering many of the archetypes of RPGs. These are mainly geared towards collectors, RPG players and for small skirmish miniatures games rather than bigger wargames.

2) Stretch goals

I'm planning to do at least a few stretch goals ahead of time. Additional cool stuff like a cart with driver, mounted ducks etc.

3) Production quotes

I have a quote from a caster that can make both metal molds (for the ducks) and resin molds (for any bigger stretch goal). The quotes are very reasonable and after crunching some very basic numbers I'm at least not risking losing much money. We're talking about 300-400 bucks to cover molds, shipping and starting to not just lose money on it. It's not more than I could lose out of my own pocket for a cool experience.

4) Retail plans post-kickstarter

I have a potential reseller in the UK for after the kickstarter, which would help with all this Brexit crap (I'm in the EU, as well as the caster). I might be able to use the caster as a reseller in the EU.

5) Graphics

My web presence needs to be fixed. Currently just using a placeholder wordpress site. I'm thinking of commissioning a non-crap logo (made specifically to also work as a water mark on photos). I'm also thinking of a nice thematic banner-style illustration for the website and kickstarter. I'm a very mediocre 2D artist, so I might try to paint the banner IRL in oils this Summer or commission an art piece if it turns out too crappy. I'm thinking of an illustration of a few of the sculpts, making their way through a dark dungeon or similar.

6) PR

I'm thinking instagram (where I have a different account with a few hundred followers) and Facebook (specifially non-GW miniature gaming groups). Is it worth spending a lot of money actively pushing a kickstarter, when doing something quite niche?

7) Packaging

I haven't discussed the details with the caster yet, so I'm not sure if they have a specific packaging solution. Otherwise I'd love to do something at least nicer than just putting them in ziplock bags. At least printing a small card to put in each pack or something like that.

Looking at this list, I think there's nothing completely impossible on it. Am I missing something obvious that I should care more about than I'm doing right now? Other than I need to really do a proper number crunch on the cost of the minis before setting a price level.

quoting a truly excellent duck mini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

hypnophant posted:

quoting a truly excellent duck mini

Thanks! Not gonna lie, one reason I want to make the kickstarter is that I want to paint up a band of duck adventurer for our local Frostgrave campaign. :P

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do not gently caress with the ducks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Duck adventurers are great.

But have you considered a special edition where you glob on thick black paint and sell them at twice the price? For skilled players, who can remember which is which even in bad lighting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Infinitum posted:

Do not gently caress with the ducks

Ducks: gently caress Around and Find Out

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Ok Goons, I'm thinking of trying my luck on making my first miniatures cast through kickstarter. This will probably be a project I'll spend the Summer and early Autumn preparing for, and now I'm making a list of things that I need to do before pulling the trigger. I'm looking for advice on things that I might have forgotten.

I don't know how it works if you're in the EU and shipping to someone else in the EU, but I would double and triple check all the VAT stuff. I sell a lot of minis to the EU but thankfully the platform I sell on handles the VAT for me so I don't have to worry about it other than putting some info on the mailing labels, but I can see that being a nightmare to navigate for someone in your position.

One piece of advice -- I follow (and back) a huge number of mini kickstarters and one mistake I see over and over again is people just posting images of their greens. They are tricky to photograph correctly because the putty is quite shiny, and honestly can give a bad impression if that's all you've got. I would look into a painting service to really showcase your finished minis if at all possible.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Does anyone regularly watch Dice Tower's Crowdsurfing episodes? I'm not exactly a fan of Dice Tower, but I watched this week's episode (Heckin Hounds was featured) and I'm torn. I went in expecting an informative look at ongoing Kickstarters, and maybe some discussion of what they did well or not. On a few of the campaigns they highlighted, that appears to be the case, but on others they didn't seem to do much due diligence or research prior to pulling the page up and quickly scrolling through it.

One particular campaign they dinged for not having a how to play section, when it seems the campaign's page just didn't load properly. In Heckin Hounds' case, Tom's main complaint was being skeptical of the player count and questioning whether the game was good (which, like, isn't his job to tell us whether a game is good?).

The back half of the episode was just them dunking on bad Kickstarters. Which kinda lends me to think they don't really care if Crowdsurfing is accurate and informative, and that they're more than willing to punch down on campaigns for entertainment purposes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

I don't know how it works if you're in the EU and shipping to someone else in the EU, but I would double and triple check all the VAT stuff. I sell a lot of minis to the EU but thankfully the platform I sell on handles the VAT for me so I don't have to worry about it other than putting some info on the mailing labels, but I can see that being a nightmare to navigate for someone in your position.

One piece of advice -- I follow (and back) a huge number of mini kickstarters and one mistake I see over and over again is people just posting images of their greens. They are tricky to photograph correctly because the putty is quite shiny, and honestly can give a bad impression if that's all you've got. I would look into a painting service to really showcase your finished minis if at all possible.

VAT is, afaik, one of the smallest issues starting out. Basically in Swedish tax law, a revenue of less than 30 000 SEK/year (3 500 USD) can count as a hobby, and you don't need to file for VAT. If the profit from the hobby is less than 20 000 SEK (2 300 USD) it's tax exempt as well. So unless the ducks end up far more popular than I expected, VAT is not something I have to worry about when starting out.

As for greens, I see your point. However, getting miniatures for nice pictures of painted copies would mean, well, getting the minis cast first. So it moves the goal of the project from funding the making of the molds to recovering the cost of making the molds. Though it might be easier to succeed in the latter, as you point out: shiny greens are notoriously worse looking than a nicely painted mini. Maybe a half-ways solution could work, where I make one mold of 6-8 minis, paint them up, and then try to fund the rest of the range (including stretch goals)?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Frozen Peach posted:

Does anyone regularly watch Dice Tower's Crowdsurfing episodes? I'm not exactly a fan of Dice Tower, but I watched this week's episode (Heckin Hounds was featured) and I'm torn. I went in expecting an informative look at ongoing Kickstarters, and maybe some discussion of what they did well or not. On a few of the campaigns they highlighted, that appears to be the case, but on others they didn't seem to do much due diligence or research prior to pulling the page up and quickly scrolling through it.

One particular campaign they dinged for not having a how to play section, when it seems the campaign's page just didn't load properly. In Heckin Hounds' case, Tom's main complaint was being skeptical of the player count and questioning whether the game was good (which, like, isn't his job to tell us whether a game is good?).

The back half of the episode was just them dunking on bad Kickstarters. Which kinda lends me to think they don't really care if Crowdsurfing is accurate and informative, and that they're more than willing to punch down on campaigns for entertainment purposes.

In general they typically wait for games to release in retail before doing a serious review of them. It's something that comes up a lot, and they always comment on in some way. I've never watched that particular series though (croudsourcing episodes) I've watched enough dicetower reviews at this point to expect them to be generally critical and or suspect with respect to kickstarter stuff. I suspect that others who watch their reviews have observed the same thing. I really only watch them because Tom likes a decent number of games that I like, so while I'm not a big fan of his review style I can get some sense of whether a game is something I might like.

Essentially, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt that it lost you any backers, and if anything it put the name into people's heads who wouldn't have heard of it otherwise. If they see it again they might think "Oh I heard something about this before..."

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

armorer posted:

Essentially, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt that it lost you any backers, and if anything it put the name into people's heads who wouldn't have heard of it otherwise. If they see it again they might think "Oh I heard something about this before..."

I'm honestly not too worried. I wrote a lot more words in the hounds' thread. I'm mostly curious about the Crowdsurfing series since it's new to me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

lilljonas posted:

VAT is, afaik, one of the smallest issues starting out. Basically in Swedish tax law, a revenue of less than 30 000 SEK/year (3 500 USD) can count as a hobby, and you don't need to file for VAT. If the profit from the hobby is less than 20 000 SEK (2 300 USD) it's tax exempt as well. So unless the ducks end up far more popular than I expected, VAT is not something I have to worry about when starting out.
You would know better than me, I just mentioned it because it's an issue for me sending stuff to the UK and EU now so I wasn't sure if it's something you might have to worry about as well.

quote:

As for greens, I see your point. However, getting miniatures for nice pictures of painted copies would mean, well, getting the minis cast first. So it moves the goal of the project from funding the making of the molds to recovering the cost of making the molds. Though it might be easier to succeed in the latter, as you point out: shiny greens are notoriously worse looking than a nicely painted mini. Maybe a half-ways solution could work, where I make one mold of 6-8 minis, paint them up, and then try to fund the rest of the range (including stretch goals)?
Yeah, even just one painted example can make a big difference in my experience. Another option is to build some home-made diffusers and a light tent to take your product shots. That should reduce any glare and maybe give your product shots a bit of a boost.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

You would know better than me, I just mentioned it because it's an issue for me sending stuff to the UK and EU now so I wasn't sure if it's something you might have to worry about as well.

The difference of registering for VAT would be that it would simplify tax issues when doing business with other companies, for example if I would sell directly to a Swedish webshop. So it might be worth doing it from the start if I find anyone interested. From my cursory glance, it's not THAT much extra paperwork to register.

Another question: you sell minis, right? I'm thinking a lot about packaging, i.e. to sell them one by one, pairs or bigger packs. I understand that the disadvantage of single items would be that if a few specific mini turns out much more popular, I might be left sitting with tons of extra unsold minis if I do mixed molds. Have you noticed any huge difference from customers interest depending on how you sell the minis? Or you're mainly doing 3D printed minis?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 8, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Another question: you sell minis, right? I'm thinking a lot about packaging, i.e. to sell them one by one, pairs or bigger packs. I understand that the disadvantage of single items would be that if a few specific mini turns out much more popular, I might be left sitting with tons of extra unsold minis if I do mixed molds. Have you noticed any huge difference from customers interest depending on how you sell the minis? Or you're mainly doing 3D printed minis?
It's all 3D printed minis I sell, but based on my own experiences selling minis from sets, you would definitely benefit from being able to sell singles if at all possible. A huge part of my business is selling a single miniature for $11 + $18 shipping because that miniature just happens to be "the perfect mini for my D&D game!" The same customer has no interest in the complete set. I'm not sure how comparable my customers are to the ones you might attract with your project however.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I have no technical or business advice to offer, but I will chime in to say that the duck you've shown is fantastic and you are making the world a better place.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

It's all 3D printed minis I sell, but based on my own experiences selling minis from sets, you would definitely benefit from being able to sell singles if at all possible. A huge part of my business is selling a single miniature for $11 + $18 shipping because that miniature just happens to be "the perfect mini for my D&D game!" The same customer has no interest in the complete set. I'm not sure how comparable my customers are to the ones you might attract with your project however.

Yeah, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and factor in that I think a large part of the target market will be people saying "whoa a barbarian duck! I want to paint that", rather than wanting 3-4 extra ducks with that barbarian duck. From the replies when I've posted the greens in various facebook groups, it's been either "I'd want that specific sculpt" or "I'll buy all of them no questions asked". So singles and bigger sets with a discount might be the way to go.

Voyager I posted:

I have no technical or business advice to offer, but I will chime in to say that the duck you've shown is fantastic and you are making the world a better place.

Thanks! Here's a few more:

A bill duck (of course)

A thug duck

A smug duck

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

"I'll buy all of them no questions asked"

This is me, I want the ducks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

This is me, I want the ducks.

Great :) I'll be sculpting all Summer to gear up, so I'm taking ideas if there's a specific type of duck adventurer you'd like me to try to sculpt for the set. Currently working on archers and mages. My thief sculpts ended up pretty boring so I'll go back and revisit them after that.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Great :) I'll be sculpting all Summer to gear up, so I'm taking ideas if there's a specific type of duck adventurer you'd like me to try to sculpt for the set. Currently working on archers and mages. My thief sculpts ended up pretty boring so I'll go back and revisit them after that.

Just throwing some ideas out here: undead/skeleton, chef, bard…

tavern drunk

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lilljonas posted:

If you're going the KoDP route

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lilljonas posted:

Sailor/pirate duck (duckaneer), a duck blackguard, a duck friar/monk, a duck musketeer, or any reason to have a duck with a firearm (possibly a duckfoot pistol which are those silly one-shot pistols with a bunch of barrels fanned out like a duck's foot)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
landsknecht duck

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

As an alternative, perhaps a goose?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

These are all great ideas. I already considered a bitter drunk skald (Arne) and a goose, but a ducksknecht and some firearms-toting duck sounds like a lot of fun too.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Duck Snake Priestess.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lilljonas posted:

3 small ducks in a trench coat. Artificer duck with a metal leg. Witch duck. Business duck with a top hat and cane.

Honestly you’d probably do well to have a few that are blatantly Ducktales characters with the serial numbers filed off. (Like all of my other suggestions).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What the hell is happening here...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Infinitum posted:

What the hell is happening here...

I assume they decided to solve the international shipping problem by having different people do it in different countries.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Grimm Grip: Finally a shaft you can really get your hands around while you address fine detail work on the head.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Splitting your Kickstarter by region is certainly something I've never seen before. Probably because it increases your chance of none of them funding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

"I'm afraid we have some bad news for backers in Norway. The recent changes in legislation have created severe difficulties for us to deliver pledges to Norway in our recent campaigns. The situation got to an unsustainable point where we have no other choice but to simply cease delivering pledges to Norway. We understand and share in your frustration, but regrettably we will be fully refunding all pledges to Norway and blocking any such pledges for the foreseeable future."

I saw this in an email from a thing I kickstarted. I'm not in Norway so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious what the reason is. Anyone know?

(It's the Marvel United X-Men expansion so I doubt it can be that photoediting declaration one.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Aphrodite posted:

I saw this in an email from a thing I kickstarted. I'm not in Norway so it doesn't affect me, but I'm curious what the reason is. Anyone know?

(It's the Marvel United X-Men expansion so I doubt it can be that photoediting declaration one.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApOz6BaW2lU

e: People in Kickstarter comments are also saying it's only Shipquest that has these problems.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 9, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Witcher Old World finally has a WIP rulebook out, it's a dropbox link in the latest update. Reading the new Old World WIP rulebook by itself feels a bit hard to zero in on anything, personally. Maybe someone more insightful will give a critique.

Thinking about the game reminds me of some things I really liked about the (otherwise flawed) Witcher Adventure Game. One thing I liked was how "leveling up" was handled. You simply spent an action, drew two (or three, don't remember) new abilities, and kept one of them. No skill check or XP or anything in the way. Also:
  • The abilities were all genuinely powerful and useful, a noticeable step up. No little "+1 to X" snack-sized bullshit.
  • You ideally wanted to level up just enough to overcome your obstacles, because actions are time, and time is precious. Leveling up too much -- while satisfying -- would just put you behind other players who didn't.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Spire's End: Hildegard is on. It's a neat-looking 1(-2)-player card-based gamebook sort of thing, a lighthearted sequel to a darker original game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/favro/spires-end-hildegard

The main reason I'm posting it, though, is that they put it in the Playing Cards category. :ohdear: I can't help thinking that'll hurt them.

Also there's a Rat Queens game. Is that IP still unfortunately tied to the guy I remember being problematic enough he left the comic team?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spire’s End was fantastic so I’m definitely in on that.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Also there's a Rat Queens game. Is that IP still unfortunately tied to the guy I remember being problematic enough he left the comic team?

I've totally lost track at this point. I remember when it first came out that he'd been an abusive scumbag, and he was replaced as artist - but I think at least once he ended up returning for some reason?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I've totally lost track at this point. I remember when it first came out that he'd been an abusive scumbag, and he was replaced as artist - but I think at least once he ended up returning for some reason?

I want to say the charges were dropped, but more likely everyone just forgot all about that mess. Still, yikes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I asked if he was involved or making money off it in any way.

"Roc was not involved in the creation of the game, nor is he part of our contract on the game. He does have a creator credit for the Rat Queens universe, as he is indeed an original creator and legally any Rat Queens project has to acknowledge him as one of the two original creators."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is that a No? Or just as far as they know.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It reads to me like he might get royalties or something for creator credit, but ianal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Also, "thanks for the answer." "Absolutely! We understand even that association might be a breaking point for some, and any choice to avoid the project because of it is entirely valid."

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is that a No? Or just as far as they know.

My original question was if he was involved or making money in any way, directly or indirectly, which may account for the overly-cautious wording on their part. The comics people might have a deal to give him a cut of their share under the table or something.

Given that, it reads to me as a solid enough no that I'll check back and consider backing later on in the project.