Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Casual Encountess posted:

lol i did all those things in this example because i have my life together mostly, but i threw that widget in a smart stack and it rules

edit: lol this was the android thread. rip.

how’s james

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Why isn't there a data usage widget by default, the information is available only three levels deep in the hierarchy of the settings app :argh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

how’s james

'bout as well as can be expected, really

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I HATE GOOGLE ASSISTANT SO MUCH

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK IT'S GOOD

https://i.imgur.com/p4RMBoR.mp4

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you know what, sure, snuggle make phone calls who gives a poo poo anymore

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

keep location services turned on just in case your washing machine's gotta bounce

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i cannot fathom a single reason for any of those permissions, and time and time again i wish phones had an option to say yes but actually no and provide apps with fake versions of whatever permissions they demand

(but then they'd start screening for those, etc)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot fathom a single reason for any of those permissions

maybe because sarnsung makes more selling your data than on the margins of the appliances op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot fathom a single reason for any of those permissions, and time and time again i wish phones had an option to say yes but actually no and provide apps with fake versions of whatever permissions they demand

i thuoght there was at least one piece of info in ios that would do this if you chose not to share but i can't remember what it is so maybe not

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

relatedly youtube in ios just refuses to let you upload anything without on demand access to camera, mic, etc. even if you just want to upload a file.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

i thuoght there was at least one piece of info in ios that would do this if you chose not to share but i can't remember what it is so maybe not

location data can be restricted to "only when using app" but I think that's the only one and it's ambiguous if that counts "in the background" as "when using"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Messenger used to deny you the use of any of the location features at all unless you set it to "Always".
I think they have since recanted on that one.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a karaoke control app (so you can search for songs and reserve them) and it requires:

• Camera
  • Contacts
  • Files and Media
  • Phone

I set the first three to "only while using the app" and I manually edit the permissions to deny access for the last three when I'm not going to be using the app for awhile.

It immediately asks for access when the app starts again, and refuses to initialize if any permission is outright denied.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

android auto disconnect 6 hour car journey trip report; it was dust lol

and woah did maps send me down some Ill advised routes. 'heres a one lane country road back way that shaves off 30 seconds from the trip but 30 minutes from your life in stress' thanks goog

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

criminals, I am begging you, just use iPhones

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1413178771960643591?s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
timb doesn't care about your crimes, just don't pirate apps

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android manufacturer oneplus, most notable for hinting that if women sent them nudes they'd give them the opportunity to buy their phone, is apparently blacklisting popular apps from using the fast cores in their phones, absolutely destroying performance. to no one's surprise, popular benchmarking apps are not included and run at full speed

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16794/oneplus-9-performance-examination

bonus last year's iphones having 20-50% more numbers than this year's androids in said benchmarks

coke
Jul 12, 2009
but you see it's actually good for users because it gives them longer battery life

also i guess they dont know what race to sleep is

it's extremely on brand for them to say "yep we have this extremely fast chip in our phone" to tick off the checklist of items and then sell their customers a phone that performs much worse in most common apps

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

android manufacturer oneplus, most notable for hinting that if women sent them nudes they'd give them the opportunity to buy their phone, is apparently blacklisting popular apps from using the fast cores in their phones, absolutely destroying performance. to no one's surprise, popular benchmarking apps are not included and run at full speed

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16794/oneplus-9-performance-examination

bonus last year's iphones having 20-50% more numbers than this year's androids in said benchmarks

Just to add to this graph, my iphone SE (2016) gets 50.9 .

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot fathom a single reason for any of those permissions

believe me I’m not at all caping for Samsung here in any regard but you can’t do BLE without granting location permission, because of the possibility that an app will really be asking to use BLE beacons to resolve location.

since it’s a non-trivial possibility android has you asking for location if you want to pair with a BLE smart device, which then pisses everyone off when something like the app for their weed vape is asking for location permission

wasn’t until Android 12 this year that they have broken this out with a different permission to make clear you’re really looking for BLE so it’ll take 10 years for this to shake out

as for the other permissions, yeah, why the hell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Perplx posted:

Just to add to this graph, my iphone SE (2016) gets 50.9 .

to be fair, the iphone SE (2016) is an excellent telephone, even five years later.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i'm not doing anything wrong, so of course i'm going to give the angroid dishwasher app access to all my photos and contacts. your move appleailures

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

to be fair, the iphone SE (2016) is an excellent telephone, even five years later.

my 5 kicked the bucket about a month ago and i bought an unlocked se 1g years ago for like 150 bucks and its like im living in the future

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

originally iOS didn’t require permissions to access contacts. when they added that option, there was a backwards compatible implementation. if an older app tried to access your contacts and you denied it permissions, it would get access to an empty contacts database.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

and woah did maps send me down some Ill advised routes. 'heres a one lane country road back way that shaves off 30 seconds from the trip but 30 minutes from your life in stress' thanks goog

yeah. used it in couer d'alene in idaho for a little bit when i was visiting. the place we were staying was down some old roads.

goog tried to do this very thing, indeed even suggesting an unpaved, twisting road over a fully paved and marked road that happened to be slightly longer (way less than a mile by the end).

it's good at giving you some idea of what's coming next, but boy howdy is it dogshit if you're at all outside a major city

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what’s a good android tablet for watching (not streaming) video? I won’t use it for anything but watching mostly pirated video files in an area with no internet or cell connection so I don’t need any substantial productivity or gaming or networking capability.

it’s going to replace the Samsung tablet I got in 2017 for $175 that’s slowly dying so I’d like to keep it in that ballpark pricewise. I’ve been told the Fire 10 Plus is a solid option and I’m leaning toward that unless someone can convince me the Samsung S6 Lite or something is significantly better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

have you considered getting an ipad from a local pawnshop instead?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

too annoying to torrent on + I have a 500gb microsd card already

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, you're using the tablet itself to download the content?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

occasionally if I’m being lazy or think of it last minute I’ll have it download stuff while I get ready for work rather than bring it to my computer to drop the files on

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'd get one of the samsung tablets that has an oled display tbqh especially if you aren't going to be watching it in direct sunlight all the time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hmm they seem pretty spensie

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

today i learned they still try to make android tablets lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
get a used iPad with a sdcard adapter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it would have been news to me except i know someone who bought an acer android go tablet last month because it was "cheap", and boy howdy is it ever. it's like trying to use an underspecced 386 w/4mb ram to run windows 95. there's no way to tell if it's actually registered a touch input and is just hung, slow, or if somehow the tap didn't happen. every single interaction takes multiple seconds. i have no idea how you could actually use the thing to accomplish anything

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

hmm they seem pretty spensie

you should be able to pick up a used one, though. if you're just using it as a display, really, performance shouldn't really matter. i still have one (the s2, maybe?) that i used to watch stuff on and as a bedtime reader because oled is hard to beat for reading in bed without light everywhere

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

get a used iPad with a sdcard adapter

will this cost 200-250 dollars and last four years

mediaphage posted:

performance shouldn't really matter

it doesn’t really until it refuses to play a big 1080p rip of Warrior or starts lagging on during a fight scene in John Wick 3 (these things happened last night which is why I want a new one)

indigi fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 9, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

indigi posted:

what’s a good android tablet
there isn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what map software do you use? I use google on my iPhone and it will route me directly into a +30 minute traffic jam if it saves half a mile. I looked it up and there’s no way to force it to choose the fastest route, they changed it to choose the “greenest” route