Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I realize he's like the 4th most important character in 1 out of these 4 movies, but I don't think the 7th Heaven pedophile needs to be on the cover

By process of elimination are you talking a out the dude who played Deckard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barry Foster posted:

By process of elimination are you talking a out the dude who played Deckard?

Yeah. He's also the dad on 7th Heaven, and turns out a pedophile

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

it's just another sign of the level of care that went into the Orville how much it sounds like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpeulsbv8o

whoa I had never heard this before that's cool as hell

bull3964 posted:

Who cared enough about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Crystal Skull you at least have the excuse of "they were remastering the other 3 so why not," Super 8 is just bizarre as hell

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Crystal Skull you at least have the excuse of "they were remastering the other 3 so why not," Super 8 is just bizarre as hell

It made more money than any Star Trek movie has.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I realize he's like the 4th most important character in 1 out of these 4 movies, but I don't think the 7th Heaven pedophile needs to be on the cover

He still plays a prominent role in the movie whether he's on the cover or not. Thanks for the heads up but I think youre gonna have to deal with what he did if you wanna enjoy the movie

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Digitally replace Decker in TMP with Jonathan Frakes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm confused why you would use it as an example of "a movie nobody cared enough about to remaster," then

MikeJF posted:

Did it though.

amazingly yes

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 8, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Did it though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

$88 million in 2002

Yowza

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh contextually I thought they meant super 8.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah TMP actually did pretty decently, cause it was the most 70s of film, the rest of them even the really good ones never had the flair, cause people had STAR WARS. WHY ARE THEY TALKING THIS IS NOT STAR WARS etc. At least that is what paramount believes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whole lot of context clues being lost in this thread. Jalad at Tanagra.

But yes, I was referring to Super 8. It was a $50 million budget and the box office take was $260 million (I guess ID edges it out a little). It's also a critically acclaimed movie no matter what someone's personal opinion of the movie is. It's also the 10th anniversary. It's a Spielberg movie. All of these things align to answer the question as to "why they would remaster it."

Besides all that, pretty much every movie is getting remastered at some point. The bigger point is that Paramount has been very inconsistent in treatment of their movie remasters and it's hard to say whether or not the Indy set is excellent because Paramount made quality a priority or if it was Spielberg or Lucas putting pressure on for a good release.

We know TWOK should be good and hopefully the Director's cut of TMP will be top notch, but the rest may just get a 4k scan with automated HDR grading which would be a drat shame at this point.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Whole lot of context clues being lost in this thread. Jalad at Tanagra.

But yes, I was referring to Super 8. It was a $50 million budget and the box office take was $260 million (I guess ID edges it out a little).

Super 8 is edged out by ID but also 4 other Trek films per the list I just posted so I hope you can understand why your "context clues" were a bit misleading lol

It's also a JJ Abrams movie not a Spielberg movie unless you want to also claim that A New Hope was a Gary Kurtz film and not a George Lucas film :shrug:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SuperTeeJay posted:

I learned to hate the minimalist movie artwork trend (like a red shovel stuck in the snow for Fargo) but this is crying out for a simple image.

My vote is for the dude melting on the transporter in TMP.

Why would anyone do a minimalist Fargo poster? The original (fantastic) poster was already minimalist! That red shovel one you mention just looks god awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's also a JJ Abrams movie not a Spielberg movie unless you want to also claim that A New Hope was a Gary Kurtz film and not a George Lucas film :shrug:

I mean, I would make the claim if Gary Kurtz was featured heavily on the marketing materials. It means dick all who did the creative work behind the scenes, it was marketed as a JJ Abrams Spielberg joint.

I'm really not sure why people are getting hung up on a critical and box office success getting a remastered re-release on its 10th anniversary, especially when only used as an example as to how we can't automatically expect a quality release out of Paramount.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

IMO Star Trek Insurrection was (strangely) the best look at ground combat as the Federation would carry it out. All drones, all nonlethal, almost apologetic about their bloodless conquest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44952gWebas

I hadn't seen it before, is this the scene you meant? Where are the drones beaming these people, they seem to really not want to get beamed but it looks better than being blown up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Khanstant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44952gWebas

I hadn't seen it before, is this the scene you meant? Where are the drones beaming these people, they seem to really not want to get beamed but it looks better than being blown up.

They're being beamed to the holo-ship for forced relocation.

Really though, you could beam people directly to a brig or something. Or disassociate their atoms.

The transporter is really the most lethal weapon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They are a small colony of space hippies who settled on a magic immortality planet who don't use technology except when they do, and can stop time when they are horny enough.

The federation wants to use the magic immortality dust on the planet to heal casualties of the dominion war, and decided that it would be easiest to transport the hippies into a holodeck so they wouldn't get in the way.

Also Quark wants to set up a spa on the immortality planet but the scene got cut.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The transporter is really the most lethal weapon.

You could literally beam someone's head up their own rear end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

They are a small colony of space hippies who settled on a magic immortality planet who don't use technology except when they do, and can stop time when they are horny enough.

The federation wants to use the magic immortality dust on the planet to heal casualties of the dominion war, and decided that it would be easiest to transport the hippies into a holodeck so they wouldn't get in the way.

Also Quark wants to set up a spa on the immortality planet but the scene got cut.

Ah okay, so the insurrection is the Enterprise crew resisting these Federation orders. Did they even try to come up with a reason they couldn't get some magic dust and leave the hippies alone? Is it twenty billion hippies spread across the planet, because if not, not understanding why they can't get the dust elsewhere goddamnit am I going to have to watch this now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The radiation only exists there and extracting it would render the planet uninhabitable for plot reasons. It's only like 100 people, but that's the point to setup the moral argument.

There's a "surprise" twist for the motivations of the antagonists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sash! posted:

$88 million in 2002

Yowza
Came out in the holiday movie season in front of Lord of the Rings

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The radiation only exists there and extracting it would render the planet uninhabitable for plot reasons. It's only like 100 people, but that's the point to setup the moral argument.

There's a "surprise" twist for the motivations of the antagonists.

I guess I will have toi watch because right now I'm on the federation's side of things, get off the planet, you doinks. maybe if there were a billion people, but that just sounds like a tiny group of people wanting to hog all the rad dust they lucked into.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah but you're meant to consider the morality of it. It's not right to tear people away from their homes just because they have something you want.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eminent domain has a lot of precedent.

But really just set up a hospital on the opposite side of the planet. Planets are big.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Came out in the holiday movie season in front of Lord of the Rings

And got beat by Maid in Manhattan on its opening weekend.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

But really just set up a hospital on the opposite side of the planet. Planets are big.

According to all the scifi I've ever read, planets are one city and an area immediately outside it to do battle in.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
reminder that if you watch Insurrection, make sure you listen to the Director commentary (Frakes with Sirtis).

Technowolf posted:

According to all the scifi I've ever read, planets are one city and an area immediately outside it to do battle in.

Also consist of only one biome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S84W8maXZ0Q

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

That was brought up and it was considered but the bad federation people were all 'it's too slow! We need to suck all the magic juice out of the planet and purify it into insta-heal rays!'

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Baku suck, have a dumb philosophy and are selfishly hogging the life saving radiation. gently caress em. Picard followed the Federation council when it came to the space native americans, the only reason he isn't this time is because there's a milf who wants to baku him.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Even if you don't care about the Baku, the Sona's plan to mine the magic immortality dust was stupid because they'd permanently destroy the planet. It's like killing the goose who lays the golden eggs. It would be better if the Federation to preserve the planet, build a starbase to defend it from other powers that might try to take it, then turn it into a massive health spa and it would last forever.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Kurzon posted:

Even if you don't care about the Baku, the Sona's plan to mine the magic immortality dust was stupid because they'd permanently destroy the planet. It's like killing the goose who lays the golden eggs. It would be better if the Federation to preserve the planet, build a starbase to defend it from other powers that might try to take it, then turn it into a massive health spa and it would last forever.

It was one of the most unbearably persnickety mechanisms for drama in a Trek film. It would have made approximately the right amount of drama for a good hour long episode of TNG however.

Also, the Baku should have been a race of barbarian proto-vulcans that savagely ripped apart an away team member or three. Having them be your vegan white neighbors was the coward's way out. Their settlement looked like a Lake Tahoe resort.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 8, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only thing about the planet is that it seems like things only worked while you were there since Geordie lost his eyes again when they left.

So, in not sure how much utility it had as a health spa when everything reverts when you leave.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There's probs strategic considerations for the Baku planet too. The Federation might share that radiation cure with everyone but a more self-interested quadrant power might invade, set up shop there, and start collecting rents from any mortals who can't run the blockade.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Super 8 was so bland and forgettable that I accidentally watched it a second time because I had forgotten I'd already viewed the whole thing on another flight a year earlier and it wasn't until near the end that I realised it. If you asked me about the plot today I don't recall much more than some kids making a movie and...monster happens?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Yeah but you're meant to consider the morality of it. It's not right to tear people away from their homes just because they have something you want.

Yeah but also it's not right to let people just live anywhere and do whatever. Humans are a toxic and invasive species even on their own planet, let alone across the galaxy. The Federation isn't perfect but it's also not pure-human and is generally better than any other organization around, especially compared to real-world orgs. It'd be a different type of consideration for me if that was a planet with its own native species, but if it's just humans who decided to do a colony on that planet, gently caress em.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
its kind of double bad for the Federation because they thought the Ba'ku were native and pre-warp, but decided gently caress "EM and were going to lie, kidnap, and relocate by force the local population because of *space drugs*.

The fact that the Ba'ku was an advanced civilization that retreated into bronze age technology was actually an out the Federation could use to justify their actions... until the Sona decided get to get all killy.

VVV how many people does it take to make it wrong?

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 8, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah but also it's not right to let people just live anywhere and do whatever. Humans are a toxic and invasive species even on their own planet, let alone across the galaxy. The Federation isn't perfect but it's also not pure-human and is generally better than any other organization around, especially compared to real-world orgs. It'd be a different type of consideration for me if that was a planet with its own native species, but if it's just humans who decided to do a colony on that planet, gently caress em.

Especially with the numbers involved. It's like 600 people. 600 people vs a medical advance that could save millions if not billions. And they don't even have to die, just live somewhere else. It's like damming a river to power a city. Sure it sucks that people will be displaced, but it's worth it overall.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Banana Canada posted:

Super 8 was so bland and forgettable that I accidentally watched it a second time because I had forgotten I'd already viewed the whole thing on another flight a year earlier and it wasn't until near the end that I realised it. If you asked me about the plot today I don't recall much more than some kids making a movie and...monster happens?

The only thing I really remember about Super 8 was that Elle Fanning was in it and she basically did nothing except be Elle Fanning because JJ Abrams doesn't know how to write for female characters (or male characters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The needs of the many outweight the needs of the... what was that again?