Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Well of course there's little evidence that there are going to be long term health effects because we're only going to find that out in, you know, ten to twenty years. But it's not just me having DOOMS or whatever, the WHO and the Lancet just in the last couple of days have said 'letting rip at this point is incredibly irresponsible and we simply do not know what long term effect it has on children, what the gently caress are you, the UK, specifically, thinking?!'

I'm not arguing for another full lockdown forever or whatever, but dropping EVERYTHING in ten days time, explicitly never to reverse course no matter what, is loving mental.

Edit

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01589-0/fulltext

Yeah don’t disagree it’s loving mental to do this freedom day poo poo by the way. Just also pointless to confidently declare that in 10-20 years the kids will be hosed because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm not confident about anything. I'm cautious.

Perhaps I should've started my post with 'I think that', or 'in my opinion', or 'I fear that', but I don't think I need to make it clear that I'm not a fortune teller and that no one should be reading my posts as gospel.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 9, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Of course one reason for doomerism is a sort of guilt over the realisation that we already, as a society, make loads of life vs. convenience decisions every single day. I'm not even talking about big stuff like climate change or poverty, just normal day-to-day stuff. 2,000 people a year die, and ten times as many people are left with life-changing injuries, thanks to car crashes. Mechanically limiting all non-emergency road vehicles (yes, bicycles included) to 5 miles per hour would reduce that to basically zero. Banning all processed sugars and fats would probably save 5 or 6 thousand lives a year.

We choose, as a society, to nibble around the edges of these problems for the exact same economic, libertarian, and just plain convenience reasons that are also being deployed by the anti-lockdown people and in fact would all look a bit askance at someone claiming it was time to nerf every vehicle in the country no matter how many graphs they present, so maybe it's not surprising that some people are overcompensating.
It's interesting what areas we do act like this though, like it's basically been our official recreational drug policy for the past 50 years for everything other than tea, tobacco, and alcohol, and the past 40 years of discussion around everything from the wrong kind of firearms to anything that looks like it might come from films with a lot of East Asian men in black pyjamas jumping around a lot being that you must want people dead if you don't want maximum restrictions.

So it is amusing that paper face masks are the tipping point where it becomes an intolerable oppression according to our beloved tabloids.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In other news:

https://twitter.com/willwiles/status/1413474407251517441?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Me in architect's drawing room: teeth, teeth

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just heading down to my perfectly normal folly made of bones and teeth to relax.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Dude must have a loving big garden then.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I'm not confident about anything. I'm cautious.

Perhaps I should've started my post with 'I think that', or 'in my opinion', or 'I fear that', but I don't think I need to make it clear that I'm not a fortune teller and that no one should be reading my posts as gospel.

There is a big difference between ‘I’m worried kids might suffer some unknown consequences in 10-20 years’ and ‘give it 10-20 years and the kids will be reaping the consequences of this’ though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Anecdote: I took mini to this tiny vaccination place that was a pharmacist who had set himself up in a community centre* (because he is a decent human being) and when he saw she was 17 he was absolutely looking for an excuse to vaccinate her, which he had because she had been sent by the doctor. While we were waiting for 15, we heard him say to the nurse how if they let him he would just go round the local village schools himself and get each one done in a day if they just let him off the leash.

*We went there because I took about 30 disabled people down to the winding wheel in Chesterfield since the vaccinations started, and every single time the security twat sat on that desk outside with his little I’m mask exempt lanyard has made it harder than it needed to be with singling out minorities and LGBT+ presenting folk to check for invite texts while letting everyone else through.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i went to get my groceries last night after 10pm and so many fuckers were running about tesco not wearing masks. a big bunch of 20-something lads walked up an aisle together and were right in my face, i gave them such a look :mad:

like mask wearing in indoor public places is still a legal requirement here and there were signs up all over saying NO MASK, NO ENTRY ffs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Agile but it's the 80s and you're making cars instead of programming computers.
I just heard about Wagile recently and it's the stupidest word I've ever heard and it doesn't even have the decency to be associated with Waluigi so I'm refusing to engage with it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
more like FRagile!!!!!!!!!!! *draws my UMLz for every single thing* :cool:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I just heard about Wagile recently and it's the stupidest word I've ever heard and it doesn't even have the decency to be associated with Waluigi so I'm refusing to engage with it.

If Wagile doesn't involve a bunch of spaniels scampering through an improbably complex obstacle course, gen that's a huge missed opportunity.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

i went to get my groceries last night after 10pm and so many fuckers were running about tesco not wearing masks. a big bunch of 20-something lads walked up an aisle together and were right in my face, i gave them such a look :mad:

like mask wearing in indoor public places is still a legal requirement here and there were signs up all over saying NO MASK, NO ENTRY ffs

Those signs are so laxly enforced. It's maddening.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i concur, there should be beatings

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Darth Walrus posted:

If Wagile doesn't involve a bunch of spaniels scampering through an improbably complex obstacle course, gen that's a huge missed opportunity.

I uploaded the first one in a different thread today, the second one is just for you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's all about percentage compliance with public health.

If 100% of people were complying with "masks must be worn" then I'd be a lot happier with "wear a mask when you think it's appropriate."

As is, I'm far less, because you need to keep as many people wearing them as possible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it just really feels like a lot of people have jumped the gun and decided to forget about everything that's happened and have learned gently caress all ldsfkjdflkd

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

There is a big difference between ‘I’m worried kids might suffer some unknown consequences in 10-20 years’ and ‘give it 10-20 years and the kids will be reaping the consequences of this’ though.

Yes they're slightly differently worded.

Is your point to correct the presentation of my worries to the thread or to correct my worries? Because I think I adequately covered the former. I'm not an epidemiologist and no one should be reading my posts as if I was. We all make unqualified predictions (in both senses) itt all the time, it's hardly unusual.

If it's the latter, well, my worries are my business, not yours.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 9, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Laws aren't laws unless they're enforced, and mask wearing has never been enforced afaict

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

therattle posted:

Those signs are so laxly enforced. It's maddening.

There have been 75 fines over the whole of lockdown and all of them are being reviewed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

crispix posted:

it just really feels like a lot of people have jumped the gun and decided to forget about everything that's happened and have learned gently caress all ldsfkjdflkd

Britane.txt

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

Yes they're slightly differently worded.

Is your point to correct the presentation of my worries to the thread or to correct my worries? Because I think I adequately covered the former. I'm not an epidemiologist and no one should be reading my posts as if I was. We all make unqualified predictions itt all the time, it's hardly unusual.

If it's the latter, well, my worries are my business, not yours.

Nah, they're making a fair point. There's a huge difference in meaning between 'I worry x might happen' and 'X will happen'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Laws aren't laws unless they're enforced, and mask wearing has never been enforced afaict
Saying "masks must be worn" and not enforcing it is pretty much the same as saying "wear a mask when you think it's appropriate" in practice, but if it gets an extra 10% of people onboard for no extra effort (less effort in fact, because you don't have to change all the signs) then it's worth it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
planet X is indeed something to worry about imo, if those david icke people are right

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Nah, they're making a fair point. There's a huge difference in meaning between 'I worry x might happen' and 'X will happen'.

I know

I will endeavour to qualify all my future statements properly so as to minimise confusion or ambiguity.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it was the sheer number of people not wearing them that struck me last night. only two staff members in the whole place were wearing them and i'd say about a third of customers

i've half a mind to put on my mrs norman hat and type a strongly worded email to someone

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I try to be aware of invisible disabilities & all but a thing I keep seeing lately is people with a mask hanging over their chin, in a place where masks are compulsory. That's just outright saying, "I can wear a mask, there's no reason for me not to wear a mask, I know I should wear a mask, but I just don't give a gently caress if I give you & your family a potentially deadly virus so gently caress you"

crispix posted:

i concur, there should be beatings
Be the change (honestly I'm tempted sometimes)

haakman
May 5, 2011
Yah forgive me for being cautious after watching my old man literally rot from the inside out whilst having to wear full PPE and looking at him through a screen.

Also, kids are going to be hosed up socially and psychologically - anecdotal but I've had more students commit suicide this year than in the past 10+ years combined. It's real bleak.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

No it isn't! That's a L129 and the body is wearing a 3 Para DZ flash.

Eh, yeah I saw something roughly M16-shaped and assumed (because the ENGERLAND types love repurposing CoD covers for this sort of thing) but yeah the yanks are all digital camo now, aren't they?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't really understand what "lockdown" people have been referring to. In other countries they had the army on the main roads.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

*enters store, takes off mask*

checkmate, maskailures :smug:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Borrovan posted:

I try to be aware of invisible disabilities & all but a thing I keep seeing lately is people with a mask hanging over their chin, in a place where masks are compulsory. That's just outright saying, "I can wear a mask, there's no reason for me not to wear a mask, I know I should wear a mask, but I just don't give a gently caress if I give you & your family a potentially deadly virus so gently caress you"

I choose to believe most of these people are just painfully stupid as opposed to actively malicious, if only for my own sanity

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was on the buses today and it seems to be people going up on the top deck to remove mask.

Woman at the back made a huge cough and I involuntary went “oh noo!” and for the rest of the journey you could hear her desperately trying not to.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't really understand what "lockdown" people have been referring to. In other countries they had the army on the main roads.

Yep. Our idea of lockdown has been sporadic, ignorable and highly ineffectual. If we'd actually put a proper lockdown in place before everything went to poo poo we could've needlessly killed far fewer people, done far less economic damage, and lifted the lockdown responsibly a long time ago.

Unfortunately our government is broken and supported by death cultists who'd rather kill hundreds of thousands than wear a mask or avoid the pub.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

No it isn't! That's a L129
Really going in for the equipment austerity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Imagine sitting in a tiny flat by yourself in a city you don't know, unable to go anywhere or meet anyone, and in his case watching on the news as the country where everyone you love is implodes.

Quite a lot of this has been my entire life lmbo.

Sometimes I like to avoid people in the forest instead of in my room, for a change.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 9, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Problem with enforcement is that in most cases it would be left to some lowly shop assistant to have to do it and anti-maskers are not known for their polite and considerate behaviour. Telling some gammon to put their mask on is possibly risking life and limb or at least a broken nose. Same for bus driver etc.

Now, if my election pledge to line the streets with sniper-filled watchtowers to take out the owners of dogs who don't clean their poop up were extended to non-maskers ....

My boss is over the moon that we're now all (all 3 of us LOL) going in to the office on Mondays. She found lockdown (with homeschooling her brood and her husband also working from home) tough going. Personally, I can take it or leave it, I get less work done in the office than at home because the other two like chatting, so do I. And I've essentially worked from home for 14 years now and I have the interwebs to socialize on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone said a wise thing: “lockdown has been the middle classes working from home while the poor bring them stuff”

Remember when Italy had that lockdown and they needed to print out a ticket showing you had a reason to go to the shops and all our boomers went ballistic at the idea, and then spent a huge chunk of every day of lockdown in queues to the supermarket so they could buy milk and a paper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I went to the cinema for the first time in a year and a half on Wednesday and I swear to god the cinema was enforcing masks and hand sanitiser harder than the vaccination center I went to.