Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Those reels have a 200-400 dollar deposit so you guys just wrecked some e-z cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/midmichigannow/status/1413537719880458244?s=21

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Sentinel posted:

He's uh gonna want to get that poo poo off his face asap right?

Sidewalk mix, it doesn’t have the definitely awful additives that more important structures have. Like water reducer, his face would probably look like a raisin if it had that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

looks more like Mortalbahn

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nenonen posted:

looks more like Mortalbahn

Ricardo?

schmug
May 20, 2007

jesus. that first dude had some balls. pretty sweet watching everyone run over to help after they see him though.

also, gently caress carnivals

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Harry_Potato posted:

They are if you are wrangling angry beavers...

sir that is a ground hog

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zegermans posted:

sir that is a ground hog

Here's two angry beavers

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Never get on a carnival ride.

Ever.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MrYenko posted:

Never get on a carnival ride.

Ever.

What if it's to weigh it down to save other people?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The real carnival ride was the friends we didn't lose (in carnival rides) along the way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scholtz posted:

What if it's to weigh it down to save other people?

Just as admirable as it is inadvisable.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I went to the Cherry Festival a couple years ago and Vanilla Ice was performing. So they aren't normally good at preventing disasters.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

For a hot minute, this was the most exciting ride at that carnival.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mimesweeper posted:

you can take copper to any nearby scrap/recycling place and make some good money, even more if you spend some time and separate it from all the not-copper.

its really absurd how much perfectly good stuff goes into a dumpster during construction. i've seen companies just trash entire buildings worth of furniture because sometimes it's cheaper to do that and buy new than to pack it all up and ship it unless it's some fancy stuff. hell, the chair i'm sitting in right now is one i saved from a dumpster, just your average nice computer chair in perfect condition. i could have taken one of those motorized sitting/standing computer desks too but i don't really want one and it was huge, would have been a hassle. everyone was taking home furniture out of that place, one guy took some of the cabinets they ripped off the wall to put up in his garage. if it's going in the trash anyway, who cares?

totally agree on the cosmic sin bit.

Tech companies are THE WORST about this. I was dating an HR person at some techie startup bullshit company in silicon valley for a bit and their company bought monitors that their laptops couldn't hook up to due to a lack of the right port or whatever. Instead of buying, you know, adapters, they just bought everyone new monitors again. HR-Partner has the keys to the storage units and I got myself a brand new 4k widescreen monitor with the USB hub and everything, loving rules.

Someone else I know lives in a mansion with like, 10 or so other people. His room is a living room with walls made out of big lego-type bricks and lovely little plastic door. Their laundry machine was broken and all the techies scrambled to buy a new one instead of checking to see if it could be fixed (turns out a sock got behind the rubber gasket thing or something).

The waste of the tech industry is all encompassing and nothing matters; excellent place to scam a company out of money or belongings.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Wrr posted:

Tech companies are THE WORST about this. I was dating an HR person at some techie startup bullshit company in silicon valley for a bit and their company bought monitors that their laptops couldn't hook up to due to a lack of the right port or whatever. Instead of buying, you know, adapters, they just bought everyone new monitors again. HR-Partner has the keys to the storage units and I got myself a brand new 4k widescreen monitor with the USB hub and everything, loving rules.

Someone else I know lives in a mansion with like, 10 or so other people. His room is a living room with walls made out of big lego-type bricks and lovely little plastic door. Their laundry machine was broken and all the techies scrambled to buy a new one instead of checking to see if it could be fixed (turns out a sock got behind the rubber gasket thing or something).

The waste of the tech industry is all encompassing and nothing matters; excellent place to scam a company out of money or belongings.

I am going through this right now. Big Corp Company bought my small company (about 100 employees). They decided they wanted everyone using the same stuff... so in comes 4.5 metric tons of monitors delivered on 12 pallets, to replace the 2-4 monitors our users were already using. Sure the new monitors are nice, but we already had a fully stocked office. When asked what are we to do with the old ones? recycle bin

I literally can't give them away fast enough.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Have some extremely industry-specific 50-year-old safety signs from the box plant we're decommissioning:

"gently caress you, dad!" -Scott Stapp

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Burning_Monk posted:

I am going through this right now. Big Corp Company bought my small company (about 100 employees). They decided they wanted everyone using the same stuff... so in comes 4.5 metric tons of monitors delivered on 12 pallets, to replace the 2-4 monitors our users were already using. Sure the new monitors are nice, but we already had a fully stocked office. When asked what are we to do with the old ones? recycle bin

I think a lot of start-up companies and even ordinary medium sized companies would do wisely to hire a multitask janitor/nanny just to look after everyone and their expenses and the entire rationality of all of it. But the general trend in the past decades has been the opposite, eg. hospitals getting rid of secretaries so doctors spend their precious time doing basic paper work instead of helping patients.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I think a lot of start-up companies and even ordinary medium sized companies would do wisely to hire a multitask janitor/nanny just to look after everyone and their expenses and the entire rationality of all of it. But the general trend in the past decades has been the opposite, eg. hospitals getting rid of secretaries so doctors spend their precious time doing basic paper work instead of helping patients.

Full Time Nanny seemed like the job of my HR-Partner; their main task each week was ordering lunch for everyone so they didn't have to leave the building to find something to eat and the company could offer that as a perk instead of actually paying people more to buy lunch themselves. I think its pretty common, as a ton of the restaurants nearby seem to primarily catering to entire companies for the lunches as a their source of income, with walk-in customers an after thought. Needless to say, once COVID hit and all the techies fled the area, a ton of them closed down.

Death to Tech. Digital technology was a mistake. let us all return to analog and the warm glow of the vacuum tube.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

I got really lucky with a big box o tools that fell off a truck just before the pandemic. It's impossible to say that corporate waste is bad.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wrr posted:

I think its pretty common, as a ton of the restaurants nearby seem to primarily catering to entire companies for the lunches as a their source of income, with walk-in customers an after thought. Needless to say, once COVID hit and all the techies fled the area, a ton of them closed down.

I mean, restaurants in businesses centers open only during lunch Mon-Fri has been a common thing for forever. When you're in a place that turns to a ghost town after 5 pm, there are no locals to stay open for afterwards.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yo I’ll take two new monitors please no joke. I have been using the same monitor since 2010.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've started to go back to the office, and got a new office out of the deal, but have to figure out how to deal with the crap computer and monitors in there. Over a year of working from home with actually competent equipment has made it hard to accept the utter poo poo tech setup in my actual physical office.

Part of me is considering sneakily cloning the HDD in the desktop to a spare SSD of my own, which might be enough to make the machine workable. I don't think I have any spare DDR4 laying around, but I should double-check the machine because I do have spare DDR3 on hand. There are other monitors in the building, so I may see if I can just swap those out with or without permission.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Don't mess with hardware in the office without talking to IT first, especially if you're doing poo poo like cloning hard drives. That's grounds for termination and a lawsuit depending on your industry.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah uh in my industry that might actually be grounds for federal action

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Burning_Monk posted:

If you're giving free monitors away lmk

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only way I ever get 'new' hardware at work is to be the first one in the day after someone retires and being the first to loot the office for anything good. Also how I get new tools in my toolbox.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

zegermans posted:

sir that is a ground hog

I think it's a woodchuck.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I got really lucky with a big box o tools that fell off a truck just before the pandemic. It's impossible to say that corporate waste is bad.

When I was working in LTL we had a wooden spool come in that had 9 or 10 cases of DeWalt hammer drills rattling around inside it. We checked the serial numbers and contacted the overgoods department with them and their reply was: "Those went missing in Illinois, the claim has already been paid out, make sure they don't show up on eBay"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Do not gently caress with secondhand data storage devices.

Period.

Unless you wanna end up with someone else's crimes.txt

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The local school was throwing away some old instruments, so I scored a free ukelele, autoharp, and violin. RIP music program.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
I work in tech position at a non tech company and the rule from my boss is “if we haven’t used it in a year get rid of it.”

After a year of no meetings and going remote I have a dragons hoard of tech that slowly works it’s way home with me or coworkers. Absolutely astounding what counts as waste in industry.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1413675814303019013?s=19

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Have some extremely industry-specific 50-year-old safety signs from the box plant we're decommissioning:

These would be worth quite a bit to the right typography collector, I imagine.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Wrr posted:

reminds me that my laptop case was also saved from a dumpster, this time literally. i went to throw some trash away at the end of the day and here's this beautiful wheeled laptop suitcase with tons of space for all sorts of crap. the handle is broken. that's it. it still extends and retracts, it's just broken in the plastic handle bit. WELP, IN THE BIN, ILL BUY ANOTHER.

literally scam these people out of every dime

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 10, 2021

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I think it's a woodchuck.

That is clearly a whistlepig.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
edit: whoa! Not the thread I thought I was in

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 10, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

That makes the guy who first jump on there look even more like a hero.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to be within 50 yards of that thing, let alone jumping on the side of it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

wilderthanmild posted:

That makes the guy who first jump on there look even more like a hero.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to be within 50 yards of that thing, let alone jumping on the side of it.

I think that's the operator. Looks like he jumps out of the area where the controls are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Those reels have a 200-400 dollar deposit so you guys just wrecked some e-z cash

So you're telling me people could trade their hillbilly tables in and buy actual tables?

This is like the real life version of Bender telling Fry the rents are outrageous on refrigerator boxes.