Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

VileLL posted:

is there a good way to play smt 1&2? guessing it’s just roms & translations, but is there a best option?

As far as I know only the SNES versions have translation patches. There was an IOS port of SMT1 that was in English but I'm pretty sure it got broken in an update and never fixed a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

There's a SMT I translation for the gba version that ports over the iOS script
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6129/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

VileLL posted:

is there a good way to play smt 1&2? guessing it’s just roms & translations, but is there a best option?

For one you've got the choice of either the SNES version or the Gba version. SNES is an old old translation patch by Aeon Genesis that uses diffrent translations for a lot of spells and items e.g. Jio instead of Zio. It's not too bad to get through though. Make sure you grab Orden's patch to patch ontop of it though, it fixes some gambreaking bugs with some of the Routes.

The GBA version I haven't played but seems to be a mishmash of the SNES and PS1 versions of the game. With a more up to date translation, personally I think it looks worse aesthetically, but if you like it it's probably the easier to play version.

For SMTII you've only got the SNES version translated, luckily the amount of bugs encountered in a normal playthrough should be low with this one. The demon and spell names are however still using the older translations.

One thing to note is in the newer versions of the game they added extra scenes you can access to give back story on some of the characters. If you play the SNES versions you'll have to look them up yourself, it is worth it though.

https://lparchive.org/Shin-Megami-Tensei-II/

The ones for 2 are in the bonus updates in this lp

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/1413422676790718466?s=20

Demons have weaknesses to individual ailments, displayed under the regular elemental resistance bar. Mr. Lantern is weak to Panic. A relatable king.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about jack o' lantern, but he's cute as heck leveling up :3:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Nice to be able to hear the music in the little videos from that twitter account without people talking over it. The music for talking to demons is pretty cool

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

thanks all

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Golden Goat posted:

In Apocalypse (and pretty much all other SMTs) I've no problem with the "give demon's things" part of negotiations. Those are fine and I've tons of macca and items to spare for them. It's just the questions at the start feel completely random on the outcome.

I don't want negotiation's randomness to be gone because it would lose a ton of flavour, but I would like something close to the endgame that makes it almost assured they'll join to just save time.

The mobile game has rare consumables that guarantee a successful negotiation; something like that seems workable for normal games as well.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Thuryl posted:

The mobile game has rare consumables that guarantee a successful negotiation; something like that seems workable for normal games as well.

They are kind of almost there in 4 and 4A where sometimes the monster just asks for a big chunk of change to skip all negotiation.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

YggiDee posted:

Strange Journey had the 'Relax Spray' subapp which just let you ignore one fuckup per negotiation. And I think for SMT IV you got best results of you only gave them, like, two things and refused the rest. Just loving stonewall them.

Just thinking about riling up a Nekomata or Senri, then taking out a water bottle to spritz them in the face, calming them down.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Now I'm thinking about turning the garden hose on two Inugami as they get it on in your yard, dang dogs writhing around each other like snakes, get outta here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does Plead get you anything good

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thuryl posted:

DX2's mechanics are generally more modern and a cut above the rest of the series IMO. It's a shame that they're in, well, a gacha game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phys Resist Shakkoumon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkElT0BXvI4

Next up is Moloch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man...I enjoyed the challenges in the third kalpa, and that fight was legit tense because I was like "I don't want to do all that stuff again if I wipe"

But then I only had 3 of 4 menorahs to unlock the next door lol. So I had to backtrack all the way to the entrance of the third Kalpa and then I'm gonna have to walk through it all again to get to the door

Why is the warp point not in front of the locked door, is it so they can make me play their stupid minigame a bunch more times? How many menorahs are needed for the last door so I don't have to do this again

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man...I enjoyed the challenges in the third kalpa, and that fight was legit tense because I was like "I don't want to do all that stuff again if I wipe"

But then I only had 3 of 4 menorahs to unlock the next door lol. So I had to backtrack all the way to the entrance of the third Kalpa and then I'm gonna have to walk through it all again to get to the door

Why is the warp point not in front of the locked door, is it so they can make me play their stupid minigame a bunch more times? How many menorahs are needed for the last door so I don't have to do this again

Just the one you got at the start of the game

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Item Getter posted:

Nice to be able to hear the music in the little videos from that twitter account without people talking over it. The music for talking to demons is pretty cool

I’m still waiting for a clean version of the battle theme. It’s like Kozuka decided that the battle themes from IV and IVA were just a warm up.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah I got to the fourth kalpa and just turned on merciful mode. I'd actually have been happy just with the exp boost since I was mostly frustrated at how long it was going to take to reach an endgame capable level, but I've realised I'm ready for the game to be over.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nocturne is really cool in terms of atmosphere and battles and mood but I think I'm kinda fizzling out gameplay wise - I beat Ose and then started doing Kalpas (had not done any) and it's like.. I know this was a dungeon crawler but drat this is a dungeon crawler. At the moment the fights aren't super difficult either so it's a lot of repetitive combat.

I do like it but SMT4/4A for some reason never got me to this point

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah I got to the fourth kalpa and just turned on merciful mode. I'd actually have been happy just with the exp boost since I was mostly frustrated at how long it was going to take to reach an endgame capable level, but I've realised I'm ready for the game to be over.
That part is easier if you bought the demon with trafuri in one of the previous kalpas. If you can beat the boss of that kalpa on normal, the rest of the game should be pretty easy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am totally down with the dungeon crawling and random battles (the sheer number of fights I get into while doing everything has kept me above the level curve it feels like lol), for me it's just the quality of life thing of when the thing is "solved" just get me back

The main dungeons have been pretty good with this, it's only the labyrinth where it's felt like drudgery

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Spermando posted:

That part is easier if you bought the demon with trafuri in one of the previous kalpas. If you can beat the boss of that kalpa on normal, the rest of the game should be pretty easy.

I actually beat the curse floor on normal easily. Daisoujou can just Prayer at the start and then the fights are normal.

What killed my enthusiasm is looking at the levels needed for my demifiend to fuse cool god monsters, and how long it was taking for my demons to level up and get skills. It all started to feel disrespectful of my time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am totally down with the dungeon crawling and random battles (the sheer number of fights I get into while doing everything has kept me above the level curve it feels like lol), for me it's just the quality of life thing of when the thing is "solved" just get me back

The main dungeons have been pretty good with this, it's only the labyrinth where it's felt like drudgery

"Do you want to jump"
"Are you SURE it's a TALL BUILDING"

And then everyone in the party dying was pretty funny

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Shlapintogan posted:

I’m still waiting for a clean version of the battle theme. It’s like Kozuka decided that the battle themes from IV and IVA were just a warm up.

This too I've somehow had that music stuck in my head a lot despite not having properly heard it.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

"Do you want to jump"
"Are you SURE it's a TALL BUILDING"

And then everyone in the party dying was pretty funny

I didn't know/remember you could do that, is that in the door leading to nowhere near the top of the Obelisk?
If Dante can jump down from the top of Mantra's Headquarters and land unscathed surely it's worth a try

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Item Getter posted:

This too I've somehow had that music stuck in my head a lot despite not having properly heard it.

I didn't know/remember you could do that, is that in the door leading to nowhere near the top of the Obelisk?
If Dante can jump down from the top of Mantra's Headquarters and land unscathed surely it's worth a try
You can absolutely jump off the top of that building, it just reduces everyone in the active party to like 1 hp, except Dante (and probably Radou?) if one of them is in your party.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Honestly, the cursed floors never needed me to use any particular skill other than healing. I could just count the damage taken for the tracker to go from green to orange and orange to green, and the same number of damage phases would be needed to go from red to battle.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i sort of forgot this thread for a bit, has any information on how the SMT 5 protag learns skills come up? Is there not!Magatama? Demon Whisper still a thing?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe instead of magatama you equip different whatever this guy is

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 11, 2021

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It would rule if the power rangers on the cover were just the protagonists different forms.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Commander Keene posted:

You can absolutely jump off the top of that building, it just reduces everyone in the active party to like 1 hp, except Dante (and probably Radou?) if one of them is in your party.

It just does a fuckton of damage, if you go back and do it again when you're bigger it stops murdering you

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love [Nocturne TDE/endgame spoilers] how the second you beat Magatsuhi and all through the Lucifer fight the moon meter is just stuck on D E A D. it's such a good way of using a ui element you've seen for so long to communicate that the world has fundamentally changed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Supremezero posted:

It just does a fuckton of damage, if you go back and do it again when you're bigger it stops murdering you

Oh I thought it was a flat percentage since I landed with everyone with 1 HP, lol I hadn't thought to check it so I entered a battle and saw that poo poo, and thought how lucky I was not to get ambushed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The building thing happens in SMT2 as well. If you don't choose LAW, Zain casts you out of Eden almost killing your whole party.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KonvexKonkav posted:

It would rule if the power rangers on the cover were just the protagonists different forms.

One is a demon as she is Amanozako goddess of rebellion.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 11, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, this time for real I was stuck with zero quests in SMT4 and no idea what to do, so at 70+ hours in I consulted guides a lot to figure out what I was missing. Looked like I wasn't missing much, went to grinding levels so I could survive Beelzebub, then got stuck at Hunter rank 2 for a few hours and finally found a specific list to show me what I was missing: three photograph quests.

I had only ever found one, meaning I'd stopped talking to the NPCs it seems. Anyway, I hope the rest of the game is more straight forward... please?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I remember hitting that bullshit point going for the neutral ending. I think once you clear that laundry list you go back to a normal quest chain, but it's a serious bummer that it exists at all, and so poorly signposted.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/1414509841943437313?s=20

the level up music in smt5 kind of slaps actually

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Not playing SMT5 for two weeks after release so dataminers can comb through and tell me which stat is the fun trick stat that is secretly useless this time around

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

One is a demon as she is Amanozako goddess of rebellion.

That's the small pixie looking one, right? Now that I've looked at it again, it could also be that the winged ranger on the right is the law heroine, red lady is the chaos representative and horns dude the neutral one. Still, it would be cool if we could at least enter dog mode, but that one's probably just another demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KonvexKonkav posted:

That's the small pixie looking one, right? Now that I've looked at it again, it could also be that the winged ranger on the right is the law heroine, red lady is the chaos representative and horns dude the neutral one. Still, it would be cool if we could at least enter dog mode, but that one's probably just another demon.
It would be an interesting inversion of form for the Law/Chaos reps to be women and the Neutral rep a man, usually the N rep is the Designated Love Interest for the game. So far I think the only SMT with designated L/N/C routes that changed this up was Strange Journey which had Zelenin as Law and Gore being Neutral, because the game didn't have a romance subplot.