Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Calidus posted:

This game does a great job at making you feel like a badass.

Nioh is that game where once you get just a little fluency with the mechanics you no longer feel like you get locked into a room with a boss, they get locked in with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Do the dojo missions get easier if I come back to them after leveling up some more? I had no problems with the switchglaive one. The ninjutsu one took me wayyy to many attempts. The tonfa and magic one are the only other ones I have unlocked and I keep getting wrecked.

What weapons did you guys use for the omnyo one?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yes, your health and armor upgrades will apply to them and make them easier. You can definitely do them right away though.

Tonfas: just use the move where you hold down triangle until you dash forward for one powerful hit. This is one of hanzo’s most annoying moves but amusingly his AI has no idea how to handle it when you do it. It also blasts him away so you can often just repeat it over and over, and you can safely release it early if he gets up to you.

Magic: I used switchglaive for this and didn’t find it too bad, so I don’t have many tips besides make sure to use all the magic items they provide for you. They give you enough items that you need to scroll over to some of them.

I found the glaive one very easy on NG but actually horrible on NG+ and above when you get to trial and error all the little places where the weapon has hyperarmor and things like the extremely fast mid stance dodge attack suddenly wipe off half of your health bar.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Do I buy the DLCs before I beat the main game?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Calidus posted:

The DLC chapters will only unlock after the main game chapters in-game. But it doesn't matter if you buy them before or after.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Calidus posted:

If you want to use the splitstaff or the fists.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Magic: I used switchglaive for this and didn’t find it too bad, so I don’t have many tips besides make sure to use all the magic items they provide for you. They give you enough items that you need to scroll over to some of them.

Yeah I’ve also been using the glaive, I’ve gotten close I just need to stop getting greedy and trying to get cyclone off when I don’t have time.

The tonfa one I think I’m throwing in the towel for now. When I come back to it I’ll keep in mind the charged attack though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I've been tearing through all the main and sub-missions on Way of the Strong while listening to podcasts so far. I'm a motherfucking god of destruction and I'm only half paying attention to it and I don't have sound.

I'm having fun, but I'm thinking I should skip a chapter or two. I think I'm overleveled. Or more specifically, my build is very specialized on hitting things hard with my weapons as I went all in on strength neglecting everything else. It's already at 99. Now I'm upping Heart which also increases the power of my fists (and Odachi, but I'm barely using that)

I know a lot of people are using Onmyo or Ninjutsu or even put a focus on it but I love going just straight for the pain. If I punch you you feel it and it ain't pretty.

Anyway, now that I'm mad with power I can get knocked down a peg hopefully

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I've been tearing through all the main and sub-missions on Way of the Strong while listening to podcasts so far. I'm a motherfucking god of destruction and I'm only half paying attention to it and I don't have sound.

I'm having fun, but I'm thinking I should skip a chapter or two. I think I'm overleveled. Or more specifically, my build is very specialized on hitting things hard with my weapons as I went all in on strength neglecting everything else. It's already at 99. Now I'm upping Heart which also increases the power of my fists (and Odachi, but I'm barely using that)

I know a lot of people are using Onmyo or Ninjutsu or even put a focus on it but I love going just straight for the pain. If I punch you you feel it and it ain't pretty.

Anyway, now that I'm mad with power I can get knocked down a peg hopefully

If you finish every mission and side mission in order you will feel overleveled for most of the various difficulty levels. If you're effortlessly smoking NG+ then just unlock enough levels to beeline for the final mission, unlock NG++ and prepare your body because each '+' is quite a bit tougher than the last. I bet if you did that with your current build it would feel like starting out in NG for the first time, except now numbers big and also probably different colors.

Focusing on Strength is fine, there's both magic and ninja toys that boost your physical damage, those red pills from the ninja tree and Carnage Talismans on the magic side. If you haven't touched them yet I recommend at least starting to play around with them some and find some options that you like, eventually you will need to start using them up towards DotWise/DotNioh.

IGgy IGsen posted:

The DLC chapters will only unlock after the main game chapters in-game. But it doesn't matter if you buy them before or after.

:actually: since they come with two of the best weapons they should definitely install the DLC asap, though I don't know if doing that would put DLC enemies into the main campaign anywhere.

vvv Yep, would like to hear a trip report of Gsen once he procs 2 elements at the same time then tries punching a dude :getin:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 8, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know how non-magic builds exist in NG+++ because of chaos. it's such an absurd damage increase and many things take so long to kill without it that it just seems essential, but outside of magic I don't see lots of ways to easily apply the elemental status effects (of which you need a minimum of 1 to chaos since purity and corruption overwrite each other). Ninja does have the hell feathers but those are best used on enemies who are already out of stamina, whereas I can just apply a burn/saturation/electrocution in sometimes just a single magic bullet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am enjoying my Katana build. Lai Quickdraw wrecks but not quite as much as the first game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Calidus posted:

I am enjoying my Katana build. Lai Quickdraw wrecks but not quite as much as the first game.

Lai :allears:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Season pass is :10bux: right now. I picked it up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

pronounced "eye-ay"

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

It’s super samurai slice.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's called the Old Mcdonald slice and you pronounce it "ee eye ee eye oh"

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ah goddammit. I'm sitting on Depths 15 and last night I rolled into Otakemaru + Hachisuka Koroku (the kappa boss). I think over 4 cumulative hours of tries I killed Otakemaru 12-13 times while failing to get Hachisuka below half.

The problem being that Hachisuka attacks so drat fast, hits so drat hard, and has hyper armor, meaning that going from 100-dead in the blink of an eye is too likely, and I don't know how to break his shell, which would apparently make the fight trivial, because before looking up tips I didn't even know this was possible. Also I'm out of cats unless I leave, which I don't want to do, since this is my first time getting past D11.

By the time I get home I have to hope it rerolls into an easier boss or at least not get Seimei as my AI partner. He really, really loving sucks to get due to his lack of aggression. (I've been sitting on Depths 15 since Saturday and the rolls were Nightmare Bringer 3 days in a row then Shuten Doji 2 in a row, all 5 days rolling Seimei, before rolling Suzuka last night. I couldn't even pass either of those chonky HP sponges because Seimei missed 3/4 of his casts and the ones that did hit plonked right off because NB's resists outside purity are jacked to max/SD is fire immune and highly resistant to corruption, and guess what my build is?)

edit: It rerolled to Shibata/Nyotengu the next day. Shibata is a chump, and I eventually managed to cheese Nyotengu because I happened to have the Arc of Chaos switchglave skill from a previous Tate Eboshi kill, and zoned her out. It took a few attempts.

edit 2: CHECK THE KODAMA BAZAAR IF YOU GET STUCK! I remembered it existed and looked to find cats on sale. I got a few attempts in before going out for an hour, then came back, and the stock had shifted away from cats. Still, as it turned out, I ultimately didn't need them, heh.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 10, 2021

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I got Nioh a few days ago from the Steam sale. So far I'm having a pretty good time with it. I'm still learning a lot of things.

I'm in the second mission and I just fought a reverent that had all purple gear, and the drop I got was some incredibly powerful fancy looking odachi called Futsunomitama (or something like that.) The ghost I fought had all sorts of fancy looking gear. He was only level 13. Should I just discard it in case it may spoil the game for me? I have a hunch that this guy stayed purposely underleveled and got all this powerful gear, and died in early game to give players like me super powerful equipment early on.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Revenants give you drops that they are wearing, but it gets scaled to YOUR level when you kill them (I think). So the most popular two armor sets will propogate and fill the entire game. I wouldn't worry about the drops being overpowered, as you level up you will replace it soon enough.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

What level are the items? I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless they like level >50 items.You replace gear pretty quick up to level 100.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think this game may be more difficult than the Souls games. Although, I went back and fought Enera again and pretty much kicked his rear end the second time around.

I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hear though.i never know what to discard or keep, or what to equip.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On NG, just equip whatever has the highest attack and defense as long as your weight stays below 70%. Sell or dismantle or donate the rest. you don't have to worry about the bonus effects on items, or putting together a build, etc until NG+.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Should I just discard it in case it may spoil the game for me? I have a hunch that this guy stayed purposely underleveled and got all this powerful gear, and died in early game to give players like me super powerful equipment early on.

Heh no, something like that may carry you for a few main missions if you happen to be maining odachi already, but it will eventually get completely overshadowed by a random drop from a trash mob, probably right after you spend a bunch of resources trying to roll specific bonuses for it :argh:

blackguy32 posted:

I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hear though.i never know what to discard or keep, or what to equip.

This is one of the worst things about the game, especially for new players. In short, lock at least one of every weapon, lock any gear that has an orange inherit property, equip whatever you want to use that makes number go up, trash the rest. Oh but do hang on to a good number of accessories, they're a good way to keep certain bonuses or abilities available without having to swap weapons or armor.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

On NG, just equip whatever has the highest attack and defense as long as your weight stays below 70%. Sell or dismantle or donate the rest. you don't have to worry about the bonus effects on items, or putting together a build, etc until NG+.

Do this, except as long as your weight is above 70% but not above 100%

Max block is my favourite way to play this game

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Captainicus posted:

Revenants give you drops that they are wearing, but it gets scaled to YOUR level when you kill them (I think). So the most popular two armor sets will propogate and fill the entire game. I wouldn't worry about the drops being overpowered, as you level up you will replace it soon enough.

I hope he likes Red Demon Armor and Warrior of the West Armor :v:

I haven't done so much revenant farming in 2 though so no idea what the low-level armor sets of choice are there though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I hated Warrior of the West and Red Demon with such a passion even before I realized every revenant dropped it in the first game. They aren't even especially good imo.

Takes No Damage posted:

Heh no, something like that may carry you for a few main missions if you happen to be maining odachi already, but it will eventually get completely overshadowed by a random drop from a trash mob, probably right after you spend a bunch of resources trying to roll specific bonuses for it :argh:
On an NG playthrough I wouldn't waste money and resources at the Blacksmith at all, to be honest. It's better to just change equipment as you find better stuff. It seems like a good idea to min-max but it's much less useful when you get equipment that outclasses what you already have all the time. Even with soul-matching in mind. Because soul-matching is expensive enough that even if you want to do it you might not be able to unless you already have a playthrough's worth of money in the bank.

Once you get to NG+ it's different, of course. As long as you don't change your playstyle and build you can get tons of mileage out of a max level divine item if you just keep upgrading it to the next + value.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress that bull spider boss and Magoichi Saika for good measure too

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I think this game may be more difficult than the Souls games. Although, I went back and fought Enera again and pretty much kicked his rear end the second time around.

I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to hear though. i never know what to discard or keep, or what to equip.

This game has more choices than souls games, I don’t think it’s strictly harder but it’s definitely more overwhelming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing says Honnouji Incident like a big boobed cat girl on wheels.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Dis the thread anime waifu at your peril, mortal. Still, better than a big boobed regular girl on ice skates like in the first game. OK it's still a bit silly, but she's one of the best soul core attacks in the game :catdrugs: Also be sure to check out her model in the bestiary afterwards, there are a lot of cool little details on her chariot that are hard to see during the fight.

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress that bull spider boss and Magoichi Saika for good measure too

Yeah Team Ninja really seems to love their giant-boss boss fights despite being like 1 or 2 for however many at this point. Tower Skeleton from the first game was pretty bad, hydra thing at the end was OK. In Nioh 2 I also don't like spiderbull, and housewife is always a slog. The wicker man's not too bad once you can read all his tells and get yourself into position fast enough. I think 2 does a better job in having the final few bosses be 1-on-1 battles with ~relatively~ regular dudes rather than some crazy multi-stage thing.

I actually like the Saika fight though, one of the only times the Gust Tasliman is useful. Pop one and just hang around reapplying your buffs while he keeps shooting himself in the face :page3:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
"Housewife" :roflolmao:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I do appreciate Saika in 2 making me have to actually think instead of how easy he is in 1 when it comes to styling on him. The multiple homing fireball attack in 2 is way more threatening than anything he has in 1.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Now that you mention it, I kinda wonder if Kasha is supposed to be a subtle/not subtle dig at Nobunaga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any stages with a double boss seems to be my nemesis, just spent like two hours beating the boar guy after not faring much better against the spear guy before, who I only beat by expending a bunch of other non-elixir healing items to outlast him.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Morter posted:

Is there a version out there of the Ryomen Sukuna fight song--that's also used in a couple other battles--that ends in that sick duel-yelling harmony? The only place I could find it is here (a few seconds after the time stamp) and it's not very clean. Individually uploaded tracks seem to loop, at least the ones named Ryomen Sukuna. If it has another name, I don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T0RZZAt00k&t=187s

Not too sure, but the original song is called Onyroki, it's the first boss fight song in the original Nioh 1, maybe that helps.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Kashin is a weird mix of bull poo poo but not that hard.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Any stages with a double boss seems to be my nemesis, just spent like two hours beating the boar guy after not faring much better against the spear guy before, who I only beat by expending a bunch of other non-elixir healing items to outlast him.

Don't feel too bad, boar guys is easily the hardest part of NG. He was the only boss that too me more than one sitting to clear, and he took like 3. He's not that bad for me now, but until you know just how to counter all of this moves you will eat fire and instantly die a lot :flame:

And I think that's the only fight I ever used the levitate spell (or is that a ninja scroll?) that negates any ground hazards. I'd pop one of those whenever he went dark world and set the floor on fire.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Got Nioh 2 on the sale, it's dope. Feels nicer than the first game, though I don't remember a whole lot from it. But I'm having some trouble with countering red flash abilities with the dash; it feels like even charging right into the attack frequently doesn't do anything except collide into the enemy and then they get me, particularly this crow tengu thing. Is there a trick to it other than dash when they attack?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you are having trouble with burst counters, try using the Brute form. You only need to hit the enemy before it hits you in that form so you can just react instantly when you see the red flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've only got the bird and the monkey, though. How do you get other forms?