Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Going by alpha streams its definitely not Star Citizen, but that might be the best thing I can say about it. Its a whole lot of not very much right now, but at least its stable and working I guess.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's a Warhammer Return of Reckoning streamer who I'll put on sometimes and he spent the money to get in. I thought that was insane until a goon last page confessed to giving 1400 to loving Star Citizen.

Didn't think I'd find a Zarbix viewer here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Asmongold is pretty your average 30 something year old white man gamer. So he is clearly going to rub posters here the wrong way (not saying it isn't warranted). He also call out random people on twitter and while he tells his fans not to harass them...you know how that goes.

This is a good recent example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKDV6zIoNw

Just to give a bit more background on this subject, Asmon didn't say who the guy was on the stream, told people not to go after them, and that anyone doing so and they know will be banned from his chat. Also a day or two afterward they both apparently had a conversation and everything was 'fine' for both of them. Also I mean the guy is using his job position to make public statements about his personal opinion negatively about one of the players of the game.

Kaysette posted:

There are a lot of mixed opinions about him in the FF14 thread now that he’s dragged his WoW cultists there.

As a WoW to FF14 convert myself, I've seen the comments but I think a lot of them were assumptions, or at least slightly exaggerated. Long time off and on Asmon viewer, he's better now than he was years ago, and I think he's personally enjoying FF14 a lot.

Also IIRC he's said that there's been surveys or some metrics that showed his WoW twitch audience doesn't even play the game, like maybe 10-25% do. It's really just the faceless twitch/youtube comment mob.

Edit to also keep this on subject:
I've been watching the stream past few hours of this alpha, obviously buggy and a long way to go, but the game *looks* good, like the map and zones and stuff. I'd really be interested to play a necromancer in this sort of game.

iroguebot fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 9, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Watching the stream and the gameplay loop seems good. Instead of fetch quests, the game has you collect stuff for cities where inevitably some random/interesting poo poo will happen.

iroguebot posted:

Just to give a bit more background on this subject, Asmon didn't say who the guy was on the stream, told people not to go after them, and that anyone doing so and they know will be banned from his chat. Also a day or two afterward they both apparently had a conversation and everything was 'fine' for both of them. Also I mean the guy is using his job position to make public statements about his personal opinion negatively about one of the players of the game.

I was referring to him commenting on the person the WoW employee quoted. But I can understand your point of view.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This dungeon Asmon is running actually does look pretty cool. How long is the alpha? Is it just this weekend or are alpha testers basically always able to play?

Edit: Ok if there is anything in the ocean on release and if traversing the ocean is required, I can't play. Just absolutely terrified of oceans like this.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 9, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The game looked really good from the stream.

Transversing the overworked seems fun and the raid seemed exciting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wuxi posted:

Didn't think I'd find a Zarbix viewer here

I think I found his stream from his YouTube videos when I started playing during the early days of the pandemic. As a fellow swole nerd I was hooked.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Appreciated all the responses I got and I hope nobody felt like I was being mean about the guy! I knew he was big simply because for almost any subject about WoW on YouTube inevitably gives you a couple of his videos; the thumbnails just never made me want to click. I don’t enjoy watching other people play games Live, unless for a new game’s trailers or even early gameplay of a game I’m interested in before I spend money on it. That’s the reason I’m even ITT right now because I’m actually pretty stoked about this game because it sounds like it really could be new and I like PvP once I’m max-level but not getting ganked while minding my own business and working on something. I can’t wait to see how some mechanics shake out in AoC but I still play mmo’s with my boy (he’s played WoW with me since he was 9 and I think he just enjoys me being goofy and we’ve always entertained each other, even if we run out in the world to mine or grind as casuals do). AoC looks a lot like it would be fun exactly for us!

30 is not old. 🤬

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Orv posted:

Almost irrespective of what the $500 gives you, charging it for alpha access feels insanely scummy. People do not actually view that as "We're overcharging for alpha access because we want people who will understand this is under development" (because no one ever does), people view it as $500 for alpha access.

I've been with the game since Kickstarter. My 475 package included a lifetime subscription.

Yeah, we know he ran a mlm. I was actually SUPER skeptical. I knew about the game before ks, before any announcements, and I called bullshit on it very early on....once I saw the KS and did some background research in the people involved and otherwise I went for it.

fact is....it's already better than crowfall with less development time.

Yeah,1 we know he's a shite gamer(I personally camped him on archeage)

Yes lol 500bux to get into alpha. If that's all you consider it.

That being said...I would not pay 500 for a year sub+ the rest.

Lifetime was worth it, a year...eh. na.

If it sucks at launch, it's only 500. No sub, nothibg to worry about. I can treat it like gw2 and randomly come back enjoy a week or two and then piss off.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ffycchi posted:

I've been with the game since Kickstarter. My 475 package included a lifetime subscription.

Yeah, we know he ran a mlm. I was actually SUPER skeptical. I knew about the game before ks, before any announcements, and I called bullshit on it very early on....once I saw the KS and did some background research in the people involved and otherwise I went for it.

fact is....it's already better than crowfall with less development time.

Yeah,1 we know he's a shite gamer(I personally camped him on archeage)

Yes lol 500bux to get into alpha. If that's all you consider it.

That being said...I would not pay 500 for a year sub+ the rest.

Lifetime was worth it, a year...eh. na.

If it sucks at launch, it's only 500. No sub, nothibg to worry about. I can treat it like gw2 and randomly come back enjoy a week or two and then piss off.

Wait he literally ran a MLM? Lmao and you people gave him $500? bwmt here this one

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Watching streams of the game it seems like it's in a very reasonable state for an alpha. I like a fair bit of what I see.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I can't loving imagine paying $500 up front for a video game, sight unseen.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I mean, I can think of 1,000 worse ways to spend $500. Looking at the perks, if you are sure you are gonna play it, it's a great deal. I'd just be afraid of paying $500 and it never releasing, which does happen with Kickstarter stuff. But assuming it releases and it runs for at least a year, I think the value is there.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I agree with all of that, dropping 500 on an MMO you know you're gonna play a long time is perfectly sensible and I can think of worse wastes of money, too, (I mean at this point I'm pretty sure I've spent over $1000 on FFXIV, technically) but I just think it's foolish to do so on a complete unknown that could've possibly not even existed.

That said, it's your money, do what you want with it :shrug:

I watched some streams and it doesn't look super interesting, but it's alpha and everyone's like level 5, and very, very few MMOs look interesting at this point in their life cycle. I'm interested to see what the game is like when it's closer to how they want it to be at launch.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2021

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have played games for hundreds if not thousands of hours paying more than $500 in sub/expansion costs over that time and even if I could go back to before they launched and tell myself that I still wouldn’t have paid $500 upfront. Do you guys regularly get fleeced by the wallet inspector or something?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I know people that have spent over one million dollars in maplestory cash shop.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
In Lost Ark some people spend $1,000 a week or more. It happens. It's your hobby and if you got the money, spend it. I'd rather you do that than drink or smoke crack.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Ah yes, the two options: smoke crack or spend $500 on a Kickstarter MMO.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Like I said, spend $500 on an MMO you actively play and enjoy? Whatever. I wouldn't have done it upfront for FFXIV but afte, I had been playing it for like two years and the first expansion came out? Maybe.

Spend $500 on an MMO that might not ever exist? Sorry, I'm gonna laugh at you.

Serious question: Has there been a single kickstarted MMO that wasn't a total shitshow? I'm not aware of any.

EDIT: I guess Elite: Dangerous is okay?

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 10, 2021

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Pathos posted:

Yea because that's exactly what I said.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

Serious question: Has there been a single kickstarted MMO that wasn't a total shitshow? I'm not aware of any.
Tem Tem.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
yeah I've spent thousands of dollars on xiv and wow. that's called a monthly sub and they didn't ask me for it up front before the game was a twinkle in a devs eye

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
like yeah spending money on games is fine if you can afford it but also I'm absolutely going to make fun of you for spending $500 on a game that hardly exists and is a coked up fever dream

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ShowTime posted:

In Lost Ark some people spend $1,000 a week or more. It happens. It's your hobby and if you got the money, spend it. I'd rather you do that than drink or smoke crack.

How do I drink crack? Is this like eyeballing Jenkem or something? :barf:

Seriously though I’ve watched a couple of clips and this looks nice, especially for an alpha! Fingers crossed is always hopeful, but I really do think this one is looking like it’s actively being developed. The rules set sounds ambitious. Even if it had bad graphics, if the game is not a net coded clusterfuck I really think this one sounds fun to get into on launch day (maybe launch week, it’s a mmo so launch days will be clusterfucked and queued).

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I forgot about Temtem. I bought it off steam a while back, I should give it a shot. Still, two decent outcomes out of many kickstarted MMOs (Star Citizen? Chronicles of Elyria, which is apparently a somehow even worse shitshow? Shroud of the Avatar? The superhero MMOs that got kickstarted almost 10 years ago and still aren't out?) certainly should give someone pause.

Doublestep posted:

like yeah spending money on games is fine if you can afford it but also I'm absolutely going to make fun of you for spending $500 on a game that hardly exists and is a coked up fever dream

This tbh

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Yea because that's exactly what I said.

Yeah be fair guys he also said you could spend it on drinking.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Comrayn posted:

Yeah be fair guys he also said you could spend it on drinking.

Yea yea, this guy gets it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

ShowTime posted:

Crack is actually a much better way to flush your life down the drain than spending all your money on an MMO. Dying of a drug overdose will also net you more cool points than dying of a blood clot in your leg.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Carmant posted:

Crack is actually a much better way to flush your life down the drain than spending all your money on an MMO. Dying of a drug overdose will also net you more cool points than dying of a blood clot in your leg.

You have strange role models. At least do it the classy way and die via liver failure. Lots of famous people did that through history and some of them are memorialized still. I can't think of any that did that via crack.

I mean, poo poo, at least make it heroin if you are gonna do it that way.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
it's about MMO harm reduction

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doublestep posted:

It's this. In my years of playing WoW I have unquestionably spent probably a couple thousand in subscription, expansions, accounts and services costs. Ashes of Creation seems like it has a better chance of actually getting out the door in a good state than most Kickstarted MMOs and I do fundamentally agree that $475 for a lifetime sub and a bunch of cool stuff is a worthwhile purchase if the game survives, but not before it's got a single thing to show for it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I forgot about Temtem. I bought it off steam a while back, I should give it a shot. Still, two decent outcomes out of many kickstarted MMOs (Star Citizen? Chronicles of Elyria, which is apparently a somehow even worse shitshow? Shroud of the Avatar? The superhero MMOs that got kickstarted almost 10 years ago and still aren't out?) certainly should give someone pause.

To be fair most Kickstarters fail. There is a reason why most of these titles don't get funding from publishers. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, which is what makes Kickstarter great, but for the most part Kickstarter is for projects to get noticed and pick up a publisher to get real funding (Eiyuden Chronicle) or help indie letter of love projects get finished (Freedom Planet). A MMO is undoubtedly going to fall in the first category.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
Lots of people itt really concerned with how others spend their money.

Reminder that Path of Exile had a $12,000 supporter pack when that game was in Alpha (and yes, people bought it). Lots of people give money to projects early on because they believe in them, they want to support them, and they want see them succeed. Many of those people also have very large disposable incomes. This really isn't hard to understand.

Gay Rumsfeld fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 11, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
try to imagine someone instead spending $500 on other MMO HMO garbage cans like Eve Online or Legend of Ultima or Everquest 2 or Shroud of the Avatar or Star Trek Online or Atlas or Pantheon or Hellgate London

we would mock those people just like we would mock these people. is AoC going to be better than all of those games? is AoC going to be better than *any* of those games? is AoC going to be finished?

who da gently caress knows

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Reminder that Path of Exile had a $12,000 supporter pack when that game was in Alpha (and yes, people bought it). Lots of people give money to projects early on because they believe in them, they want to support them, and they want see them succeed. Many of those people also have very large disposable incomes. This really isn't hard to understand.

i would make fun of someone 24 times harder if they told me they spent $12,000 on PoE when it was in alpha

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Pathos posted:

At least if you spend 500 dollar at your local crack dealer you are supporting your local businesses and economy.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Doublestep posted:

i would make fun of someone 24 times harder if they told me they spent $12,000 on PoE when it was in alpha

The entire Star Citizen thread(s) are based on endless mocking whales that have spend thousands on JPEGs.

Also, I just went and had a look at Ashes of Creations shop, the cheapest buy-in is 75 US$. Now, I know someone will point out in includes two months of subscription, which is fair, that's 50% of the value and presuming a base cost of 30-35 US$, then sure, we've got 60-65 US$ worth of pure value.

So it's 15ish US$ for Beta-access, disregarding the digital premium currency of course, it has zero actual value.

That's not actually that bad, presuming the beta ever get's released of course.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Didnt PoE come along well before Star Citizen demonstrated just how much money can be bilked from crowd funding video games? Its no joke that SC changed things. Its dramatic success in lining the pockets of some washed up grifter had spawned tons of copycat scams like Shroud of the Avatar. Before that if you backed a game it might fail, but if it did you could probably feel comfortable in the knowledge that the developer did their best. Now though? poo poo, so many of these projects are just ways for bored rich guys to bilk more money from nerds while getting their friends and families cushy jobs.

Which also leads to the kind of funny situations with AoC. Some sleazy MLM guy with the a cynical understanding of how to fund this stuff but an honest interest in creating an actual good game because he likes the genre might actually be just the right person to make the first decent MMO in a long while. Dude wont be seeing any of my money until the game is out though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

People are allowed to spend their money however they want, I've always been tired to loving death of the years people spent posting "Don't preorder" and poo poo like that. I'm saying for me, and for a lot of other people, it looks, looks mind you, like a lovely scam to price alpha access at that level.

I'd be thrilled if it turned out not to be cause what they have working now looks like it could turn out pretty good. I don't and won't trust that it will until it has.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Orv posted:

People are allowed to spend their money however they want, I've always been tired to loving death of the years people spent posting "Don't preorder" and poo poo like that.

But you shouldn't pre-order, you should wait for reviews, you are essentially undermining a core principle of pro-consumerism, that we can make or break them with our spending.

But yeah, you are indeed allowed to spend your money as you please, of course, you are also allowed to mock anyone who spend 12000 US$ on Path of Exile or Star Citizen or Shroud of the Avatar or whatever.