Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I think you have to take it further. Belos did this because he knows someone who has a connection to Luz and her family who would understand what happened and be able to come to the Boiling Isles to retrieve Luz and disrupt Belos's plans. He's creating the illusion that Luz is still on Earth to prevent that from happening.

Maybe. But personally I don't like that because it starts to make Luz into a Chosen One where any sort of Chosen One myth hasn't really been brought up before. Personally I'd rather have my theory wrecked by being just wrong rather than be kinda right via bad cliche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess to be fair, the He-Man franchise was founded upon unrealistic impossible body images, so fans of the old series would have extremely unrealistic expectations.

Netflix She-Ra has its problems but it’s still a fun ride overall that even pays homage to its predecessor on occasion (like in the episode where everyone is basically sitting around playing D&D) and can be just as goofy as any other entry in the franchise when it wants to be. Yet a portion of the fanbase seems to treat it like the second coming of Hitler (generally for extremely superficial reasons).

That said, even if the writers had been allowed to use any elements from the He-Man side of the franchise besides Hordak/The Horde at the time I wonder if they actually would have and how that could have worked in the SPoP setting.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like Owl House but from the jump it has always felt a bit unfocused, it feels like there's always been one element too many happening. Honestly it would probably be a lot tighter without the school stuff, you could still keep the important characters from that setting around without needing to spend so much time there.

There was an interview with the showrunner where they obliquely said that the school stuff was originally meant to be a more limited thing but the notes from Disney kept pushing for more and more teen wizard school.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Imo, it seems like a pretty good defensive structure for an eventual war. Imagine installing Hooty into it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My own prediction/hope for the Owl House twist: Shapeshifters and Changelings that replace people are some classical Fey poo poo. Eda does mention in episode 1 that every now and then spooky stuff manages to squeeze into the human world from the Boiling Isles and become cryptids and myths. So I'm thinking it may legitimately be some kind of Changeling that's taking over Luz's life and is masquerading as her for it's own unknowable reasons. It could be a pretty neat third faction that wants to prevent anyone else from crossing over and messes with both Belos and Luz.

Another theory I saw is that it's the original Luz and that the one we've been following is the real clone. LIke maybe when a human tries to go through the door it creates a copy instead and the real person just faceplants into nothing. Belos is also a human clone and is trying to get 'his' life back. That's pretty out there though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 5, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess to be fair, the He-Man franchise was founded upon unrealistic impossible body images, so fans of the old series would have extremely unrealistic expectations.

True though the reasons He-Man does it aren't quite as heinous as sometimes has happened in the entertainment industry;

1) they realized early in their research that kids are attracted to power and having that reflected in the toy designs would help(same with things like the phrase "I Have The Power")

2) making the toys huge and muscular and a more exciting default pose helped them stand out compared to how most action figures of the time were copying the Star Wars style

3) many of the people working on MOTU as it started were big fans of Conan, Frazetta, and Body Builders so that also reflected in the aesthetic

Indeed the impossible standards only really apply to the men, the women characters feel pretty reasonable all things considered even if a bit lacking in body type variety

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t MOTU start life as a comic series (which apparently was pretty different from what eventually became the show)? Also are those original comics good/still available anywhere?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

Didn’t MOTU start life as a comic series (which apparently was pretty different from what eventually became the show)? Also are those original comics good/still available anywhere?

If I'm not mistaken, it started with the action figures, but those came packages with mini-comics that had a radically different plot than the eventual tv series and were more along the lines of Conan and other sword and sorcery stuff of the time.

drrockso20 posted:

True though the reasons He-Man does it aren't quite as heinous as sometimes has happened in the entertainment industry;

1) they realized early in their research that kids are attracted to power and having that reflected in the toy designs would help(same with things like the phrase "I Have The Power")

2) making the toys huge and muscular and a more exciting default pose helped them stand out compared to how most action figures of the time were copying the Star Wars style

3) many of the people working on MOTU as it started were big fans of Conan, Frazetta, and Body Builders so that also reflected in the aesthetic

Indeed the impossible standards only really apply to the men, the women characters feel pretty reasonable all things considered even if a bit lacking in body type variety

Also don't forget 4) The suits weren't going to shill out extra cash for more than one body mould.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

The mini-comics that came with the toys are quite excellent, Dark Horse put out a collection of them a couple years ago that is very high quality* and surprisingly cheap too

*they've been doing a bunch of books for MOTU in recent years that are all quite excellent, including an absolutely mammoth book for all of the main action figure lines up through last year

KingKalamari posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it started with the action figures, but those came packages with mini-comics that had a radically different plot than the eventual tv series and were more along the lines of Conan and other sword and sorcery stuff of the time.

Also don't forget 4) The suits weren't going to shill out extra cash for more than one body mould.

Well to an extent, didn't take very long for unique torsos to show up in the line, and MOTU as a franchise's willingness to reuse and reinterpret various bits and pieces both in terms of lore and literally with the toys has always been one of it's greatest strengths

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of toys, how much did SPoP actually get in terms of merchandise?

Also, were the final two seasons ever released on DVD (I know the first three were)?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of toys, how much did SPoP actually get in terms of merchandise?

Also, were the final two seasons ever released on DVD (I know the first three were)?

We got a Cortex Prime game on the way. Maybe some dolls? Also, no, only first 3 so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, that’s odd. Every other series in the franchise has gotten a complete DVD release to my knowledge.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Maybe. But personally I don't like that because it starts to make Luz into a Chosen One where any sort of Chosen One myth hasn't really been brought up before. Personally I'd rather have my theory wrecked by being just wrong rather than be kinda right via bad cliche

I don't think something like that necessarily means that Luz is some kind of "Chosen One." Especially since it was pretty clear that her arrival in the Boiling Isles was accidental. Hell it doesn't have to even be a relative like "Grandpa Esteban who disappeared for like eight years one time." Maybe one of the interns of Luz's mom's hospital is Dipper Pines, great-nephew of Stanford Pines, who helped wreck Bill Cipher and would be somebody that Belos would not want sniffing around his operation.

Nephthys posted:

My own prediction/hope for the Owl House twist: Shapeshifters and Changelings that replace people are some classical Fey poo poo. Eda does mention in episode 1 that every now and then spooky stuff manages to squeeze into the human world from the Boiling Isles and become cryptids and myths. So I'm thinking it may legitimately be some kind of Changeling that's taking over Luz's life and is masquerading as her for it's own unknowable reasons. It could be a pretty neat third faction that wants to prevent anyone else from crossing over and messes with both Belos and Luz.

That I kind of like - especially the idea that after Luz decided to stay with Eda and try to learn magic instead of going home when she had the chance, she'll have to fight to reclaim her life on Earth from something else that decided to take it over it in her absence.

Nephthys posted:

Another theory I saw is that it's the original Luz and that the one we've been following is the real clone. LIke maybe when a human tries to go through the door it creates a copy instead and the real person just face-plants into nothing. Belos is also a human clone and is trying to get 'his' life back. That's pretty out there though.[/spoiler]

This I kind of hate. It feels like it just lowers the stakes of everything back on Earth. Suddenly there is no "get back to Earth" because "our" Luz is just a copy of the "real" one. And "our" Luz never has to face her greatest fear - her mother's disappointment because she doesn't really have a mother - aside from maybe Eda. I really hope this isn't what's happening. It's difficult to see how they'd pull that off without pissing away a lot of good will.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Everyone posted:

This I kind of hate. It feels like it just lowers the stakes of everything back on Earth. Suddenly there is no "get back to Earth" because "our" Luz is just a copy of the "real" one. And "our" Luz never has to face her greatest fear - her mother's disappointment because she doesn't really have a mother - aside from maybe Eda. I really hope this isn't what's happening. It's difficult to see how they'd pull that off without pissing away a lot of good will.

I had this same idea; I don't think it lowers the stakes. It would just change Luz's emotional arc from wanting to go home to realizing she might not have a home to go back to. But does that mean there's like a zillion Edas running around earth? That makes this less plausible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also it doesn't make sense with her behaviour. Why would the original Luz suddenly be a weird creep, unless her soul maybe moved to the isles and left her body an empty shell?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Nephthys posted:

Another theory I saw is that it's the original Luz and that the one we've been following is the real clone. LIke maybe when a human tries to go through the door it creates a copy instead and the real person just faceplants into nothing. Belos is also a human clone and is trying to get 'his' life back. That's pretty out there though.

bruh... what about her phone. is that a clone too. stupid.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It doesn't make sense for Belos to be behind this, because he didn't have any way to access the human world until the end of season 1, and Luz's mother was receiving the letters before that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Argue posted:

I had this same idea; I don't think it lowers the stakes. It would just change Luz's emotional arc from wanting to go home to realizing she might not have a home to go back to. But does that mean there's like a zillion Edas running around earth? That makes this less plausible.

Yeah, but one thing we saw in Season One's "Enchanting Grom Fright" is that Luz's biggest fear is her mother - really, disappointing her mother. It's difficult for me to believe that the show would drop that story idea in favor of "Welp, turns out you never had a mother after all." I will note that as far as the "zillion Edas" are concerned that Eda sent her Palisman staff to collect garbage instead of going herself.

But beyond all that, Luz, clone or not, has returned to the human world. She and Lilith went there in the Season One season finale. I think we can call the clone Luz theory disproved.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it doesn't make sense with her behaviour. Why would the original Luz suddenly be a weird creep, unless her soul maybe moved to the isles and left her body an empty shell?

If Luz's body was an empty shell, it probably wouldn't be able to move, speak, write letters, etc. Figure something is filling that shell - if there is a shell, which I don't think there is

Meanwhile, creepy dramatic end music aside, I don't think we've really seen anything to suggest that "Earth Luz" is being weird or creepy - at least not in a way that her own mother has noticed.

fractalairduct posted:

It doesn't make sense for Belos to be behind this, because he didn't have any way to access the human world until the end of season 1, and Luz's mother was receiving the letters before that.

Doesn't that depend on what you mean by access? Maybe he can't physically go there or send physical objects/beings there, but if he has connections to Earth, he might be able to communicate with others there and/or send instructions. We know from Lilith's brief visit (and the fact that Owlbert can function there to collect garbage for Eda to sell) that Boiling Isles magic will work on Earth - even if Luz's "paper magic" didn't yet function there. Perhaps one reason he didn't renege on letting Luz save Eda after she nuked the door was that Belos's main goal was simply denying others (like Eda) access to Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of very weird and vague stuff going on with Belos, and I don't think we're expected to be able to figure out exactly what that is from what we've seen so far. What little we know includes he seems to be on some magical life support (something in common with Eda, ha) and uses magic that isn't anything like either regular witch magic or Luz's glyph magic. And while he has no qualms about getting rid of Luz or the Clawthornes, he doesn't seem to make it a major priority; in general, it doesn't seem like he's in a big hurry.

Though I feel like something that we should be keeping in mind is this episode has Eda's mum specifically say that Titan's Blood is known to create rifts between the two worlds that allow creatures and objects through, without needing the door. Given the door's been either broken or in Eda's possession the entire time, but Belos seems to really want it operational, it may well be someone out of his direct control. Someone has been forging letters to Luz's mom to leave her none the wiser pretty much since she seemingly stumbled into the Boiling Isles, one thing it may be safe to assume is that someone/something else is aware of Luz's situation and has an interest in keeping it under wraps as far as the human realm is concerned.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think one thing I've really adored about Owl House, that I hope they keep careful with, is that they really emphasize Luz's creativity as her main strength. They really hammer home how much magic she knows at any given moment and keep it limited to glyphs. Letting her discover more creative ways to use a seemingly limited magic versus the brute force of all the enemies really sets the stakes well and makes sure that the fights are always about Luz outwitting her opponents rather than getting big strong magic blasting.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of very weird and vague stuff going on with Belos, and I don't think we're expected to be able to figure out exactly what that is from what we've seen so far. What little we know includes he seems to be on some magical life support (something in common with Eda, ha) and uses magic that isn't anything like either regular witch magic or Luz's glyph magic. And while he has no qualms about getting rid of Luz or the Clawthornes, he doesn't seem to make it a major priority; in general, it doesn't seem like he's in a big hurry.

Though I feel like something that we should be keeping in mind is this episode has Eda's mum specifically say that Titan's Blood is known to create rifts between the two worlds that allow creatures and objects through, without needing the door. Given the door's been either broken or in Eda's possession the entire time, but Belos seems to really want it operational, it may well be someone out of his direct control. Someone has been forging letters to Luz's mom to leave her none the wiser pretty much since she seemingly stumbled into the Boiling Isles, one thing it may be safe to assume is that someone/something else is aware of Luz's situation and has an interest in keeping it under wraps as far as the human realm is concerned.

Belos doesn't have to be in a big hurry as far as he knows. Lilith and Eda are effectively powerless now, with barely enough magic to light candle. He's also taken Luz's measure and that of her human "paper" magic. He could have killed her at pretty much any time. She's not a real threat. Granted that she destroyed Eda's magic door, which was a setback for his own project, but... the door is now destroyed. Eda, Lilith and Luz are trapped on the Boiling Isle where he's the Emperor. They're not going anywhere - especially not to hide out on Earth and potentially bring some of that nasty human technology to bear. So, an opportunity lost, but a threat was neutralized. Going after Eda, Lilith and especially Luz might make Belos look bad. Best to wait and let things die down a little.

Plus, we know that Eda and Lilith's mom and dad are still around. While Gwendolyn Clawthorne is kind of an obsessive, credulous nut - she's a formidable obsessive, credulous nut. Gwendolyn fruitlessly searching for cures for the curse keeps her at bay. Gwendolyn obsessively seeking vengeance on Belos for killing her children is a much larger problem for Belos. As for Luz, she's a relatively popular student at Hexside, which is run by Principal Bump. Bump is fairly conservative. He very much follows the rules even when he dislikes their outcome. But anyone trying any hinky poo poo against one of his favorite students is likely to eat a world of pain. Bump strikes me as somebody who is low-key near the top of everyone's list of People You Do Not Want to gently caress With If You Can Possibly Avoid It.

Of course, Belos is a little bit wrong about his figuring. Luz's "paper magic" isn't just four useful but pretty basic spells. It's more like the primary colors of Blue, Red and Yellow. Separately they're striking but fairly basic. In combinations you can use them to paint masterpieces. Left alone for too long, and Belos will get to see Eda, Lilith and Luz paint one titled "The Downfall of the Emperor" with those "paper magic colors."

As for the stuff one Earth whatever is going on seems to be pretty well organized and knowledgeable. I have to wonder if perhaps Eda's "garbage grabs" ended up attracting some actual official attention from people who can either use magic or have access to some extremely sophisticated technology (Fake Luz might be a robot). Assuming Eda's door opened into that cabin all the time (which seems reasonable) maybe "Project Puritan" (or whatever) had the place under surveillance and watched Luz go in. When Luz began texting her mother, they tapped/intercepted her messages hoping to get more information about the "magic world." They wrote the fake letters to keep Luz's mom from panicking and sent in a Fake Luz to continue with that and possibly try to investigate whether or not Luz's entry was deliberate and can perhaps be duplicated with the idea of maybe sending in Seal Team 666 (or whatever) into the place to do a recon in force.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A few more thoughts about things about Eda that possibly make more sense now: Eda's mom being a member of the Beastmaster Coven might explain why Eda is pretty relaxed around creatures that freak out even Boiling Isles natives (like humans!) when her mother has likely been taming all kinds of scary and dangerous ones all her life. And speaking of- her mother's struggles with finding a cure for the curse might have contributed to, or at least cemented, Eda's dislike of the Coven system, as her mother wasn't able to take up healing magic or potions herself well enough to understand their abilities and limitations, leading her to keep falling for a succession of quacks and grifters. I don't think Eda's got anything against specialists, but easy to figure that she thinks a witch can and should dabble, and understanding multiple types of magic is a great benefit even if you only really use one.

Also, can't help but imagine King's dad showing up and Eda being all like "Well hello, handsome."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A few more thoughts about things about Eda that possibly make more sense now: Eda's mom being a member of the Beastmaster Coven might explain why Eda is pretty relaxed around creatures that freak out even Boiling Isles natives (like humans!) when her mother has likely been taming all kinds of scary and dangerous ones all her life. And speaking of- her mother's struggles with finding a cure for the curse might have contributed to, or at least cemented, Eda's dislike of the Coven system, as her mother wasn't able to take up healing magic or potions herself well enough to understand their abilities and limitations, leading her to keep falling for a succession of quacks and grifters. I don't think Eda's got anything against specialists, but easy to figure that she thinks a witch can and should dabble, and understanding multiple types of magic is a great benefit even if you only really use one.

Also, can't help but imagine King's dad showing up and Eda being all like "Well hello, handsome."

Lol, King: Eda. Please don't gently caress my father. He's only been here for an hour.
Eda: I'll try King, but no promises.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Counterpoint: Gwendolyn didn't pledge a coven until after Eda was cursed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

Lol, King: Eda. Please don't gently caress my father. He's only been here for an hour.
Eda: I'll try King, but no promises.

Eda's got needs. Can't fight that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

today's owl house: yeah babey let's fast track this romance

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Owl house 2x05 - I kinda wish that the storylines had been two separate episodes rather than mashed into one. Gus' half pulled back the curtain some on how illusion magic is perceived in the realm and it could've been nice to let that breathe as well as actually see things like Willow getting hurt fending off pixies. And in the Luz/Amity/Human-Mystery half, it almost felt like we'd skipped an episode - Gus and Edric and Emira's reactions to Luz re: Amity read like she'd already processed what happened in 2x02 enough for them to all be very aware that she has a big ol' crush on Amity now. Each of those could've been an A-plot of an episode with a much lower stakes B-plot, like season 1's library episode paired with "Eda and King babysit bat kids".

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

xeria posted:

Owl house 2x05 - I kinda wish that the storylines had been two separate episodes rather than mashed into one. Gus' half pulled back the curtain some on how illusion magic is perceived in the realm and it could've been nice to let that breathe as well as actually see things like Willow getting hurt fending off pixies. And in the Luz/Amity/Human-Mystery half, it almost felt like we'd skipped an episode - Gus and Edric and Emira's reactions to Luz re: Amity read like she'd already processed what happened in 2x02 enough for them to all be very aware that she has a big ol' crush on Amity now. Each of those could've been an A-plot of an episode with a much lower stakes B-plot, like season 1's library episode paired with "Eda and King babysit bat kids".

NGL, that's a lot of episode crammed into that episode. I'm having a hard time faulting it, though.

NOW KISS HER BACK, YOU MEATHEAD

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So that's why Amity was barely in the preview trailers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
yo Owl House is freaking good yall

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I wonder if they're gonna update the opening credits.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

I very much agree with most of that. As far as at least Edric and especially Emira are concerned I have no problem believing that they recognize that Luz and Amity are crushing hard on each other. They're older. They've already experienced some version of this so of course they can recognize it in their little sister and Luz. Meanwhile, establishing how once again they aren't the Malfoys, it's clear that Edric and Emira very much approve of Luz and of Luz and Amity getting together.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Everyone posted:

I very much agree with most of that. As far as at least Edric and especially Emira are concerned I have no problem believing that they recognize that Luz and Amity are crushing hard on each other. They're older. They've already experienced some version of this so of course they can recognize it in their little sister and Luz. Meanwhile, establishing how once again they aren't the Malfoys, it's clear that Edric and Emira very much approve of Luz and of Luz and Amity getting together.

Yeah, Ed/Em realizing pretty quickly what's going on was fine in a vacuum - they're around Amity enough as siblings to have at a minimum figured out Amity's crush a while ago - but Gus seemingly ALSO knowing what's going on and coming off like they had conversations off-screen about Luz's feelings re: Amity is where I really felt like we could've seen some of that play out on-screen instead of just referred to.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

xeria posted:

Yeah, Ed/Em realizing pretty quickly what's going on was fine in a vacuum - they're around Amity enough as siblings to have at a minimum figured out Amity's crush a while ago - but Gus seemingly ALSO knowing what's going on and coming off like they had conversations off-screen about Luz's feelings re: Amity is where I really felt like we could've seen some of that play out on-screen instead of just referred to.

Gus I think is easily rationalizable, since Willow knew from the moment it started happening. Seriously go back and look at Willow's face in Wing it Like Witches. She knows. And I can't imagine her keeping secrets from Gus.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Did anyone else kinda feel like this episode skipped a few episodes? The very beginning felt like there was something from a previous episode with Luz wanting to see Amity right away that we never saw

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

So I never knew this before but apparently Hey Arnold! Takes place in Seattle not New York.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/hey-arnold-doesnt-take-place-in-brooklyn-wtf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure the show creators have said it's based on a mix of places, including Seattle, Portland and a bit of New York.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Madurai posted:

Gus I think is easily rationalizable, since Willow knew from the moment it started happening. Seriously go back and look at Willow's face in Wing it Like Witches. She knows. And I can't imagine her keeping secrets from Gus.

Doesn't feel like the same, though, since anything Willow or Gus would've been able to see previously was pretty one-sided (assuming in 2x02 they were getting held away from the area by abom guards). 2x05 opens with Gus basically rolling his eyes like he's heard Luz talk about Amity nonstop and use his library card just to go see her at least once previously, etc., and that gives me way more of a sense that we're outright missing a scene or two beforehand of at least Luz making it capital-O Obvious enough to her friends or even Eda & King for her to outright say, "oh yeah guess I'm being really obvious".

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The real question here is why Luz doesn't just get her own drat library card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

Doesn't feel like the same, though, since anything Willow or Gus would've been able to see previously was pretty one-sided (assuming in 2x02 they were getting held away from the area by abom guards). 2x05 opens with Gus basically rolling his eyes like he's heard Luz talk about Amity nonstop and use his library card just to go see her at least once previously, etc., and that gives me way more of a sense that we're outright missing a scene or two beforehand of at least Luz making it capital-O Obvious enough to her friends or even Eda & King for her to outright say, "oh yeah guess I'm being really obvious".

Question: What would you remove from the previous two episodes to make room for some kind of scene/montage of Luz swooning over Amity in front of Gus and Willow? We know what happened towards the end of S2Ep2. We know what Luz is like (stoic and poker-faced - not). We know she's back in school with Gus and Willow. It's not that hard to figure out. This show has a limited "time" budget. It's why you basically had two "A" plots crunched together. I think if Disney had given the show a hard commitment to 3-4 full seasons, things would have a little more room to breath. But this is the last full season plus a few "extra-length" episodes for Season Three and that's it.

Cattail Prophet posted:

The real question here is why Luz doesn't just get her own drat library card.

Obviously, because this way she has a "subtle" way to be with Amity. Recall that Gus volunteered to help her and she was "No, no no!"