Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

But you shouldn't pre-order, you should wait for reviews, you are essentially undermining a core principle of pro-consumerism, that we can make or break them with our spending.

This hasn't been true since there were like five hundred people buying mailed copies of shareware games. Too many people who will never watch a single review or ever once visit a game review website buy the years biggest games sight unseen. The MW2 boycott meme was staged but it is also is absolutely correct.

E: And to be clear, that sucks rear end. Companies that repeatedly make poo poo games should not get by on sheer numbers because they have X franchise that will always keep them afloat. But that's how it is, so pre-order games if you've done your due diligence (and it exists to be done, which is what people are saying about AoC here), you have the money and think you will enjoy it because that's literally all that matters, enjoy your hobby before the lights go out cause they're gonna.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
spending $500 on a lifetime subscription doesn't make you immune from a predatory cash shop later in this game's life.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If you spent 12,000 loving dollars on Path of Exile then loving lmao at you, holy moley.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm not laughing at anyone that spent 12k on that game because they must be killing it financially and are likely doing way better than me.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Arent a lot of whales basically gambling addicts that often go deep into debt to support their habbit?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm sure a bunch of them are. I'm sure a bunch of them are also rich software engineers that grew up as gamers and are now making 250k a year doing consulting, so whats 12k for 2,000 hours of their meaningless life?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

RagnarokZ posted:

The entire Star Citizen thread(s) are based on endless mocking whales that have spend thousands on JPEGs.

Also, I just went and had a look at Ashes of Creations shop, the cheapest buy-in is 75 US$. Now, I know someone will point out in includes two months of subscription, which is fair, that's 50% of the value and presuming a base cost of 30-35 US$, then sure, we've got 60-65 US$ worth of pure value.

So it's 15ish US$ for Beta-access, disregarding the digital premium currency of course, it has zero actual value.

That's not actually that bad, presuming the beta ever get's released of course.

According to their wiki the game will not have a box price. You only pay the sub fee in order to play. So that's nice I guess. If the game ever launches you can check it out for a month and if it is poo poo you are only out $15.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Subscription_model#Box_cost

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I don’t really get the hate, it’s basically contributing money to something you want to see succeed and if it works out, bonus you get a lifetime sub and other nice things. It is more like taking a bet on a good idea (to that person) than buying a game. And turns out it’s a decent looking alpha, so if that was my intention then I wouldn’t be feeling too bad about it at this point. $500 to someone else could be like $10 to you, who gives a poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah it's fun to make fun of people for doing stupid poo poo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah it's fun to make fun of people for doing stupid poo poo.

:emptyquote:

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Ort posted:

I don’t really get the hate, it’s basically contributing money to something you want to see succeed and if it works out, bonus you get a lifetime sub and other nice things. It is more like taking a bet on a good idea (to that person) than buying a game. And turns out it’s a decent looking alpha, so if that was my intention then I wouldn’t be feeling too bad about it at this point. $500 to someone else could be like $10 to you, who gives a poo poo.

11 months sub, not lifetime.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wait the $500 up front isn't even for a lifetime sub?
:laffo:

Who knows, maybe when it actually launches it'll be the best MMO of all time and I'll be eating my words. I'd almost be willing to bet $500 against that happening tho

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The $500 kickstarter thing was for lifetime, now the $500 just gets 11 months.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ShowTime posted:

The $500 kickstarter thing was for lifetime, now the $500 just gets 11 months.

Oh so its essentially the same regardless if the game goes under a year after release.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

FrostyPox posted:

Wait the $500 up front isn't even for a lifetime sub?
:laffo:

Who knows, maybe when it actually launches it'll be the best MMO of all time and I'll be eating my words. I'd almost be willing to bet $500 against that happening tho

I love how they go "150+ worth of in-game currency", which is comedy, because it's actual totally worthless. The 500 US$ non-kickstarter option? Not worth it at all, you'd have to be Star Citizen level of stupid disposable income to buy that.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
I spend about $1000 a year on Path of Exile cosmetics alone :shrug:.

For reference, I haven't spent any money on Ashes of Creation (or any other alpha game that I can't remember). But I also don't think it matters at all if a company wants to charge $500 for alpha access + swag, nor if someone wants to buy it. People are so loving desperate for a decent new MMO these days that it really doesn't surprise me.

Just remember $500 may sound like a lot to a lot of people, but to (hopefully) most of the people buying these types of things, it's not. It is also a pretty clean way to filter the alpha down to the people that are truly interested in engaging with the game and have a vested interest in seeing it succeed.

Kinda weird the alpha is active right now and this is the only thing being discussed in this thread. Not sure if that is more telling about the state of the game or the state of this forum.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

the state of this forum.

This is your answer

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah the MMO HMO is filled to the brim with cynical old wrecks that have seen countless promising MMOs burn out like dying stars in the night. What's one more, saying the same things as all that came before it?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
We're just looking for love in all the wrong places.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I spend about $1000 a year on Path of Exile cosmetics alone :shrug:.

lol

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

Not sure if that is more telling about the state of the game or the state of this forum.

You're posting in a thread made by someone who hasn't posted on SA in almost three years. The state of this forum is pretty obvious lol

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 11, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Boar It posted:

According to their wiki the game will not have a box price. You only pay the sub fee in order to play. So that's nice I guess. If the game ever launches you can check it out for a month and if it is poo poo you are only out $15.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Subscription_model#Box_cost

This great. I far prefer subscription models to "free to play" ones.

I wonder how much the sub fee will be though.

ShowTime posted:

I'm not laughing at anyone that spent 12k on that game because they must be killing it financially and are likely doing way better than me.

Ort posted:

This is your answer

Yeah, I think the entire $500 thing is stupid. But the whole "lol this game is a scam, it will never be finished or be released unfinished and never be finished" is dumb, especially since the alpha just came out and looks very good.

It simply pays to be pessimistic though. If the game never comes out or comes out and bombs, then you get to be smarmy. If the game comes out and is critically acclaimed, then everyone will just forget about you and you get to enjoy a game you had no expectations for. Everyone remembers all the naysayers for titles like Unsung Story, but not for titles like Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night which had a lot of people skeptical back in the day.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 11, 2021

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

People are allowed to spend their money however they want, I've always been tired to loving death of the years people spent posting "Don't preorder" and poo poo like that. I'm saying for me, and for a lot of other people, it looks, looks mind you, like a lovely scam to price alpha access at that level.

I'd be thrilled if it turned out not to be cause what they have working now looks like it could turn out pretty good. I don't and won't trust that it will until it has.

Orv with the cool and good take as usual.

Honestly I hope this game does do well, it's trying to do something interesting with the whole player focused gameplay that brings me back to the days of MUD's and poo poo.

It will probably suck (Almost everything they are hinging on will be spreadsheeted to death by nerds looking for optimal) but, I really do hope it's good. While I love FFXIV seeing games try new things is cool.

Still could be a scam tho too.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

dont be jealous you too cant be a stacked glowing mass of gratuitous particle effects that make it so you can barely play the game :smugdog:

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
I hope the irony of people on a forum that you have to pay to post on with no additional benefit dabbing on others for how they spend their money isn't lost on all of you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's no irony.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

InventorOfTrees posted:

I hope the irony of people on a forum that you have to pay to post on with no additional benefit dabbing on others for how they spend their money isn't lost on all of you.

idk man, I've probably profited more from the sum total of stuff I've gained from this website than I've spent on it.

That said I 100% agree with the point you're making.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno I can see a difference between ten dollars and five hundred dollars. Even better, one of them is for an actual service that I get to actually use and one is for a kickstarter MMO.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

InventorOfTrees posted:

The site isn't filled up with poo poo ads like other message boards.

That said this is the same site that took Lowtax's pleas hook, line, and sinker.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

InventorOfTrees posted:

my friend bought my SA membership for me :smuggo:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Some friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You have someone on this very page posting that they spend almost 10 times the cost of a forums account every month for cosmetics in a Diablo. It's a real bad comparison.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I paid a pittance for a product that existed and was demonstrably good. Not a great comparison.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
if you think about it, something awful is a kickstarter mmo, because ive been here for 8 years and ive yet to see a good post

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doublestep posted:

if you think about it, something awful is a kickstarter mmo, because ive been here for 8 years and ive yet to see a good post

I mean the last big expansion ended with the killing of LowTax.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Kaysette posted:

was demonstrably good

[Citation needed]

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean the last big expansion ended with the killing of LowTax.

game is good again

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It’d be cool if the people spending 1000 a week on ffxiv or whatever instead donated it that’d rule

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Tabletops posted:

It’d be cool if the people spending 1000 a week on ffxiv or whatever instead donated it that’d rule

If you really wanna go down that road, I said I spend about $1000 a year on Path of Exile - I donated $10,000 to Games For Love last month. How about you? Am I not allowed to spend any of my own money on myself for things that make me happy?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

If you really wanna go down that road, I said I spend about $1000 a year on Path of Exile - I donated $10,000 to Games For Love last month. How about you? Am I not allowed to spend any of my own money on myself for things that make me happy?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

lmao