Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
A Glissen Rifle is not a thing so I can't have a Glissen multiweapon of my taste. :argh: Well, see you next content trickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

motoh posted:

I mean you gotta signpost somehow that you're not ready for a fight, or people are going to spend six hours corpse grinding it.

Not that that stopped us the first time we saw that veteran in the central field.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It should just be based on attack or battle power, though, not class level.
It's really weird that the only "requirement" to do stuff like urgent quests or high-rank zones is 1184 bp, so a level 11-or-lower player who hit that bp just by getting good gear and lots of skill points instead of by leveling up will be able to get past the requirement but won't be able to actually scratch any of the level 15 enemies inside.
Yeah, it's dumb that I'm currently level 19 so the game reduces my damage against gigantix but if I gain one level I'm fine even though my damage won't be that much different than before.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It really does feel pretty dumb that one of the main selling points for New Genesis was this vast open world for you to explore freely... which is artificially gated by level and BP.

It's basically not a whole lot different than it was before, except now I have to run halfway across the map to an NPC node to start a mission to move the story along and unlock things; which I can't even repeat in a game bereft of content as it is.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There's also no excitement to be had from exploring more difficult areas. If I'm just underleveled I can be the underdog in a tough but still winnable fight, but when everything is scaled down to 1 damage it becomes boring since you know the only workable option is to run. In BotW exploring guardian-infested areas was fun because you could always throw down if you were up to it.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Also, really minor gripe, but anyone else kind of underwhelmed that we went from space city flying through the cosmos to just regular old city on a very earth-like planet as our base of operations?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The trees have better Wifi on Halpha.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sherry Bahm posted:

Also, really minor gripe, but anyone else kind of underwhelmed that we went from space city flying through the cosmos to just regular old city on a very earth-like planet as our base of operations?

I just hope that whatever they do with the setting it's at least more focused than base PSO2. I never felt like I had a good grasp on the scale they were going for in both time and space. I get that they want to have the freedom to go completely bonkers with stuff like episodes 4 and 5, but truth be told I could hardly bring myself to care about the areas any of PSO2 took place in. The original being constrained to a single ship orbiting a planet with a straightforward timeline and minimal history did a lot for building a good sense-of-place.

I'm curious about what the deal is with Halpha, but there's so little story content anywhere since it seems like the only way they know how to do exposition is with cutscenes now. Little things like data logs with flavour text at the campsites and outposts you find everywhere would go a long way to keeping me invested, but going by how weapon descriptions were handled I'm guessing they want to keep the amount of stuff that needs to be translated to a minimum.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It'd be nice if the game felt a bit less directionless than it does right now. Both in plot and scope.

They're also still doing things that other MMOs learned not to do a long time ago, like shoving multiple cutscenes in stage missions that constantly interrupt the flow of gameplay, sometimes for several minutes of expositionary dialogue. On missions where if you die once at any point in time you have to start all over from the very beginning.

Again, not a huge gripe, but still a bit perplexing that they haven't figured that one out yet.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Yeah, it's dumb that I'm currently level 19 so the game reduces my damage against gigantix but if I gain one level I'm fine even though my damage won't be that much different than before.

Even at level 20 the gigas have fat enough stats that you still only do about half your normal damage to them, so it's not as drastic as you'd think.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sherry Bahm posted:

there's some extremely vague hints (especially around the lake) that the planet is probably a lot more than it seems

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

InspectorCarbonara posted:

The attenuation only kicks in for 4+ level differences. When it happens, the enemy's name will turn red and all your damage numbers will get a bit of text that says "reduced!" or "resisted" or something next to then. It should never happen above level 16 I think?

e: wait i forgot they're level 24 for some reason instead of 20

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

there's some extremely vague hints (especially around the lake) that the planet is probably a lot more than it seems

Extremely vague hints like all the terrain across the entire world being about as artificial as it's possible to be? Giant scaffolding sticking out of the cliffs a bit subtle for you? The ominous floating castle thing in orbit slip by?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

Extremely vague hints like all the terrain across the entire world being about as artificial as it's possible to be? Giant scaffolding sticking out of the cliffs a bit subtle for you? The ominous floating castle thing in orbit slip by?

I mean yeah? The way the game is designed you will either not notice or rationalize away these things unless you tune your brain into junior skeptic mode.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Yes yes, it's all very ominous and mysteeeeriiiioouuuuussss.

It's still a pretty uninspired base of operations for a big sci-fi space adventure, and I hope we abandon it for a new ship sooner than later.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ugh, yet another standard earth like planet where every ridge has glowing cyber lines running through it and all the water comes from giant cylindrical fountains and there's mysterious abandoned facilities everywhere that nobody even thinks to mention. snooooooore

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Central City itself is super boring and basic though. Its layout is also kind of a mess. The ryuker device should be front and center and to be honest it should also be easier to make and join rooms from it, preferably like in vanilla PSO2. I hope they change things for the better but for now it’s a lovely system in a lovely hub.

I don’t want to sound too down on the game though, I’m still having a lot of fun with it. But it’s disappointing in many aspects.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 11, 2021

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I have to admit, I like it in part because it seems to be a deliberate callback to Paseo from Phantasy Star 2.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don’t want to sound too down on the game though, I’m still having a lot of fun with it. But it’s disappointing in many aspects.

Same. As I've said before, it's got the good groundwork for something amazing. The combat is spot on and a lot of fun. But it is sorely lacking in content, and not seeing anything new until winter is pretty discouraging.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's defense and trigger quests coming before then, but we have no idea how much meat is gonna be on those.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I feel like this just lacking in general, like Sega took a step forward and then like 3 steps back with everything with the combat. I realise that OG PSO2 was overwhelming but it feels like Sega well overreacted to that. Like I thougjt the classes were supposed to take a bit more from the Scion classes, but I'm not really seeing that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m okay with the combat for the most part. I’d really like more photon arts and techniques, though. Braver and Bouncer might take more from the scion classes, who knows.

7c Nickel posted:

I have to admit, I like it in part because it seems to be a deliberate callback to Paseo from Phantasy Star 2.

Is it? Outside of being a walled city with a tower I’m not seeing it. That’s cool if it is though!
I think what bothers me about it is that it feels...lifeless. It might be the color scheme and plain looking scenery. The rest area with the colored lights and holographic fish looks good, so maybe if the rest of the city were more like that? More glowing lights, floating holograms, interesting looking trees... something more like the city in the background of Pioneer 2 rather than the city field in PSO2.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

My Crab is Fight posted:

I feel like this just lacking in general, like Sega took a step forward and then like 3 steps back with everything with the combat. I realise that OG PSO2 was overwhelming but it feels like Sega well overreacted to that. Like I thougjt the classes were supposed to take a bit more from the Scion classes, but I'm not really seeing that.
I’ve only played Fighter so far but that seems to take things from Etoile, each PA has two parts and you can skip to the second by not moving when inputting the command just like Etoile did.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

to be honest it should also be easier to make and join rooms from it, preferably like in vanilla PSO2.

This is so loving annoying. If you're in a party and going to go to one of the 8-player zones there's pretty good odds that even if you teleport all together, half the party will end up in a different room because it hit the player limit. And sometimes a room won't let someone join even though it looks like there's room, I guess because the joiner's info is out of date and the client won't update for a set amount of time.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've finally been able to get in on Urgent Quests and they seem. . . not all that lucrative? Out of two so far there haven't been any noticeable drops; just Tzvia and Theseus stuff, and you can easily get better gear from the player shops. They're pretty easy too; the Pettas isn't exactly very threatening and they're just HP sponges that are handily taken care of. I'm not sure what the big deal with them is.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hopefully SEGA makes some changes sooner than later. They’re generally pretty aware of player feedback, and while I haven’t checked any Japanese sites I imagine that audience has the same complaints.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Grimthwacker posted:

I've finally been able to get in on Urgent Quests and they seem. . . not all that lucrative? Out of two so far there haven't been any noticeable drops; just Tzvia and Theseus stuff, and you can easily get better gear from the player shops. They're pretty easy too; the Pettas isn't exactly very threatening and they're just HP sponges that are handily taken care of. I'm not sure what the big deal with them is.

The UQs have been up for so long (and I don't think they drop anything that can't drop in the other high level zones) that the player shops have been filled with it for ages. The only real reason to do them now is for the weekly quest.

And yeah, neither of the two are as interesting as any of the old UQ boss fights. Give me back Magatsu!

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

How many years into pso2 was stu? I know that NGS simply should have had different priorities but I doubt we’ll get anything more interesting than the Nex Aelio UQ for a while, assuming the defence quests are as interesting as mb1 was

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Grimthwacker posted:

They do drop 4* crap but I guess you weren't especially lucky, and in any case basic non-fixa'd 4* weapons are only like 1k meseta in the player shop by now.
The other main draw I guess is the soul capsules. In particular the Pettas UQ seems to be the main/only(?) source for C/Pettas Soul I and II

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Central City itself is super boring and basic though. Its layout is also kind of a mess.

I understand your point, and I agree with most of it, but you do realize that Central City is actually less a city, and more a giant loving laser cannon that happens to have some buildings around it, right?

I am hoping that the mostly innocuous if you don't think about it but actually pretty odd if you do setting of Halpha in general is just there to set up an eventual twist. I mean, it almost certainly is exactly that, I just hope the twist is good, even if it's fairly obvious.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Surprise Noodle posted:

I understand your point, and I agree with most of it, but you do realize that Central City is actually less a city, and more a giant loving laser cannon that happens to have some buildings around it, right?

I am hoping that the mostly innocuous if you don't think about it but actually pretty odd if you do setting of Halpha in general is just there to set up an eventual twist. I mean, it almost certainly is exactly that, I just hope the twist is good, even if it's fairly obvious.

I realize it, I just think the buildings it happens to have around it should be less boring and arranged better.

I’m definitely curious about Halpha. When I first saw the returning native enemies I briefly wondered if it was some kind of future Naberius but I know they’re probably just either reskins because they were too lazy to make new designs or attempts at nostalgia.

Also I’m sure it’s been pointed out before but the name Halpha comes from Halphas, a demon from the Goetia just like Amduscia and Naverius.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Yup.

The H-alpha particle is also a specific type of, you guessed it, photon.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

My Crab is Fight posted:

Like I thougjt the classes were supposed to take a bit more from the Scion classes, but I'm not really seeing that.

Everyone has the Hero "iframe through attack and your following step attack gets stronger" thing, Fighter plays a bit like Etoile with the two-stage PAs. Force handles rods like Phantom and gets their counterattack projectile when successfully parrying.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there no lookbook in NGS yet or do you need to do something to unlock it? I enjoyed browsing it while waiting around for UQs to start.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Not yet no

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'd like to file a complaint about the veil from the wedding set costing 11 points to equip. (Or another 20 points to equip fashion with)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1415092868000092162

Sega sponsored three streamers to play the game for the ~2 hours before maintenance today.
Somebody took the opportunity to spam one of the streamers with the n-word over whispers and show off the game's lack of a block function.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
but it does have a blocklist?

it's just uh..not particularly easy to add someone to it unless they are nearby

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Not being able to block/report by clicking on a SA was a particularly :psyduck: restriction when the rmtbots were still using those in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
What fun it was having to run around town looking to get close enough to block a bot spammer.

It was a game within a game.