Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I'd make the default pose something really embarrassing because I'm a mature adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Think God we have Vedek Bariel

"Computer... Create a holodeck character that is the physical manifestation of beige."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

8one6 posted:

"Computer... Create a holodeck character that is the physical manifestation of beige."

"Hello, my name is Ensign Harry Kim."

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
was there a bajoran who seemed nice to be around?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

8one6 posted:

Holodeck needs an oil change

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

roomtone posted:

Leeta seemed nice.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

roomtone posted:

Kai opaka seemed cool

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Terror Sweat posted:

Kai opaka seemed cool

We don’t speak of her anymore for some reason even though she is immortal now as long as she stays on that random planet and interplanetary interplanetary communication exists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Li Nalas (Rest in Pieces)

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Terror Sweat posted:

Kai opaka seemed cool

I legit wish Kai Opaka had been introduced in the TNG episode "Ensign Ro" to further build out the Bajoran faith before going DS9.

I would love to have seen her interacting with Picard in an introductory way and the having Picard do a hand-off of sorts in Emissary.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

jeeves posted:

We don’t speak of her anymore for some reason even though she is immortal now as long as she stays on that random planet and interplanetary interplanetary communication exists.

I feel like having a planet where nanoprobes keep you alive forever is how you end up with Borg if you want to end up with Borg.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The fact no one ever tries to save her from the hell world that a petty officer figured how go crack is certainly a statement about bajorans

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/comicbook/status/1413878102493736966

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
What was Gene's justification for Starfleet not using cloaking tech? I remember reading somewhere that he felt cloaks didn't fit with the Federation's theme of being forthright. Starfleet doesn't sneak around, he said.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kurzon posted:

What was Gene's justification for Starfleet not using cloaking tech? I remember reading somewhere that he felt cloaks didn't fit with the Federation's theme of being forthright. Starfleet doesn't sneak around, he said.

“Our heroes don’t sneak around” was his quote. It would go against the principles of Starfleet being the Honorable Good Guys who don’t fight dirty like that.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Penitent posted:

I feel like they gave us ample examples of the Transporter being able to disarm weapons, render explosives intert, etc. over the run of the show. The transporter being able to reorient a person into a standing position seems reasonable. I just want to know if it also touched up makeup, added hair gel, dry cleaned clothing as well.
Y’all are overthinking this. They just transport the person into a different room first, so they can stand up straight, get scanned, and clean up any gratuitous puke. Then they do a short transport next door so it looks good for the higher ups.

Which is why the bio filter never works cause it’s just the waiting room.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Also while invisible ships firing invisible lasers at each other saves a fortune on the special effects budget, it's not exactly a ratings grabber.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It occurs to me that Gene had some impractical ideas about how a peaceful enlightened humanity of the future might function. While the Federation may be peaceful and enlightened, it still needs to fight every now and then because its neighbors are as nice and enlightened as they are, and when that situation arises it should have proper practical warships on hand. Ie ships that don't have children on board and are equipped with cloaking devices.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kurzon posted:

It occurs to me that Gene had some impractical ideas about how a peaceful enlightened humanity of the future might function. While the Federation may be peaceful and enlightened, it still needs to fight every now and then because its neighbors are as nice and enlightened as they are, and when that situation arises it should have proper practical warships on hand. Ie ships that don't have children on board and are equipped with cloaking devices.

In the original TNG concept the Enterprise isn’t a warship patrolling the federation borders, it’s like a microcosm of the federation heading off into uncharted space to represent everything about it. In “Encounter at Farpoint” they act like they’re about to be sailing off the edge of the map and coming back who knows when. This idea got chucked obviously, but yeah, Ent-D wasn’t envisioned as a ship that picked fights.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

In the original TNG concept the Enterprise isn’t a warship patrolling the federation borders, it’s like a microcosm of the federation heading off into uncharted space to represent everything about it. In “Encounter at Farpoint” they act like they’re about to be sailing off the edge of the map and coming back who knows when. This idea got chucked obviously, but yeah, Ent-D wasn’t envisioned as a ship that picked fights.

Sailing off into the part of the map that says 'here be dragons' with a full compliment of civilians and children. Very wise Gene

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sailing off into "Here be Dragons" without civilians and children is how you end up with some splinter colony of militaristic assholes because some space nebula or whatever crashed their ship on the planet and they had to hack it alone for generations. Also with all the scifi tech around, really, what's the practical difference between someone in Starfleet and some random person who can talk to a computer as well as anyone else? Children can even pilot the dang shipand come up with novel new tech ideas or solutions to space problems.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

multijoe posted:

Sailing off into the part of the map that says 'here be dragons' with a full compliment of civilians and children. Very wise Gene

Optimism!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Sisko says that the Defiant was the first pure warship that Starfleet had commissioned in a long time. I think Starfleet should have always had warships, because even if the Federation doesn't like picking fights, other powers might pick fights with the Federation and for those situations its better to have proper warships on hand rather than co-opting an explorer ship.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's never like they made their exploration ships purely exploration focused. The Constitution has enough fire power to be a warship....it just also has the best long range engines and sensors and room for science labs and all the things an exploratory ship would need. I think it's notable that the Federation idea of a warship is basically the firepower of one of their standard ships, just tiny.

This is also why I hate the Sovereign and think it was a regression in cruiser design. :argh:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hey, ever wonder what Weyoun would look like if he were reimagined as Les Grossman?

For bonus points, identify the movie / show this is from and his character

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

Children can even pilot the dang shipand come up with novel new tech ideas or solutions to space problems.

I bet you could spin a whole animated series out of that idea.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

It's never like they made their exploration ships purely exploration focused. The Constitution has enough fire power to be a warship....it just also has the best long range engines and sensors and room for science labs and all the things an exploratory ship would need. I think it's notable that the Federation idea of a warship is basically the firepower of one of their standard ships, just tiny.

This is also why I hate the Sovereign and think it was a regression in cruiser design. :argh:

I like the idea that the Sovereign wasn't a replacement to the Galaxy, it was a counterpart, designed to allow the Galaxy to take on its original job via the Sovereigns being the new bigass ships which hang around the Federation at closer range, while the Galaxies spent years in the unknown. Basically they figured out that the Galaxies were doing two roles and so moved one onto the Sovvies, which is a bunch smaller because it doesn't need all the long-term self-sustaining junk.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 11, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The sovereign was supposed to be a descendant of the excelsior but that doesn't really make sense when the galaxy fits into that design lineage already

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sovereign is dumb and anything else Eaves has made has been dumb. He’s been a blight and bottleneck on the franchise since the mid 90s.

I still can’t believe they brought him back to continue to make his dumb bull gray bullshit for most all of NuTrek

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Also with all the scifi tech around, really, what's the practical difference between someone in Starfleet and some random person who can talk to a computer as well as anyone else? Children can even pilot the dang shipand come up with novel new tech ideas or solutions to space problems.

The ship almost EXPLODED because a field that the sensors aren't tuned to detect was building up around the warp core and it took the ship magically becoming self-aware to escape. Geordi figures out what happened after the fact.

Given that nonsense like that happens almost on a weekly basis, I'm pretty sure Captain Rando and his Crew of 10 Year Olds would make it about three days.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Tighclops posted:

The sovereign was supposed to be a descendant of the excelsior but that doesn't really make sense when the galaxy fits into that design lineage already

The Galaxy-Class design language was really unique and futuristic in a way only a design from the late 80's could be. It was like an unashamed fat girl just owning the hell out of it.

I know the original (best) filming model was difficult to work with but It's a shame we didn't get to see more iteratation on that style as the franchise moved forward.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

jeeves posted:

Sovereign is dumb and anything else Eaves has made has been dumb. He’s been a blight and bottleneck on the franchise since the mid 90s.

I still can’t believe they brought him back to continue to make his dumb bull gray bullshit for most all of NuTrek

It's the total lack of time and thought put into the NuTrek designs that I think stings most of all. The new show runners don't understand how to use iconic ship design as a vehicle to build fan engagement and excitement.

None of the ships designs in NuTrek will transcend the show to become iconic in our culture. The Discovery was already a ripped off Phase II design and after 2 seasons they give it a "Tron Future" remodel to further dilute the identity of the ship.

Watching the sheer amount of work that went into filming models for TNG, realizing how many film passes were needed just for one effects shot, really impressed on me how much the TNG show runners invested in making the audience care about the Enterprise D as a vehicle for the stories they wanted to tell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's funny how even John Eaves is the reasonable one in nuTrek, reading the interviews with him and notes on Discovery. There's all sorts of bits like 'I wanted to make this closer to the original series style but they wanted something a bit more different' or 'I was really worried making the new Constitution that they'd make me use square nacelles instead of round like they did on the Discovery, which doesn't fit with the established look' and things like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As much as I don't really like Discovery's design I really like the 1970s retro look Eaves was apparently trying to go for for a while, before all the shakeups.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 11, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's funny how even John Eaves is the reasonable one in nuTrek, reading the interviews with him and notes on Discovery. There's all sorts of bits like 'I wanted to make this closer to the original series style but they wanted something a bit more different' or 'I was really worried making the new Constitution that they'd make me use square nacelles instead of round like they did on the Discovery, which doesn't fit with the established look' and things like that.

I mean the Discoprise has been the only NuTrek ship so far that's really landed as feeling like a Star Trek ship at this point. The Zheng He kind of scooches in behind it across the line, but it's undone by the fact that Picard throws like 800 of them on screen at the same time so you're overwhelmed and can't really appreciate its design as a Post-TNG ship.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean the Discoprise has been the only NuTrek ship so far that's really landed as feeling like a Star Trek ship at this point. The Zheng He kind of scooches in behind it across the line, but it's undone by the fact that Picard throws like 800 of them on screen at the same time so you're overwhelmed and can't really appreciate its design as a Post-TNG ship.

Apparently they called Eaves at the 11th hour to get designs for the Starfleet Armada at the end of Picard. Junkball just posted a vid on the subject and it's pretty depressing.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

MikeJF posted:

As much as I don't really like Discovery's design I really like the 1970s retro look Eaves was apparently trying to go for for a while, before all the shakeups.

I dig the retro look.

I imagine one of those shakeups was, "We need it to spin like HG Wells the Time Machine"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Penitent posted:

I dig the retro look.

I imagine one of those shakeups was, "We need it to spin like HG Wells the Time Machine"

Well the big shakeup was the switch from Bryan Fuller (who was apparently aiming for a look much more TOS-like) to Alex Kurtzman as the main executive producer.

The ship had spinning from the start, but it was a kind of grille on the saucer that would revolve, I believe?

Later that was cut out and turned into a gap, and the spinning moved to the saucer hull.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 11, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of Discovery's original design choices set out under Fuller were setup for the season 2 plot reveal where the outer sections of the saucer come off and the (then) up-angled nacelles are shifted to point down and it's unveiled it was designed to be able to go undercover as a Klingon ship.

In that take of the show every season would be a weird new batshit ridiculous thing being tried out by this classified ship that's basically Starfleet's ongoing Philadelphia Experiment.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Penitent posted:

It's the total lack of time and thought put into the NuTrek designs that I think stings most of all. The new show runners don't understand how to use iconic ship design as a vehicle to build fan engagement and excitement.

None of the ships designs in NuTrek will transcend the show to become iconic in our culture. The Discovery was already a ripped off Phase II design and after 2 seasons they give it a "Tron Future" remodel to further dilute the identity of the ship.

Watching the sheer amount of work that went into filming models for TNG, realizing how many film passes were needed just for one effects shot, really impressed on me how much the TNG show runners invested in making the audience care about the Enterprise D as a vehicle for the stories they wanted to tell.

I kinda like the Shenzou/Walker-class, it feels like a solid evolution on the NX style, like a NX Miranda esque ship. The only one of the discovery era ships I really like, but I felt it was solid and could've easily been the hero ship.

Easily the worst abominations Discovery has given us has to be all the 32c. stuff. It's all so much visual noise or ugly holes or just pure nonsense.