Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

This is objectively not true, and there are a wide array of mental illnesses that are caused by this belief.

the idea that memories are "repressed" at all in a way that you can't access them except through therapy is completely debunked. as for memories that you can recall but would rather not because theyre unpleasant, i think it really depends a lot on the person and the situation whether or not it's good to linger on memories, too often we throw a blanket "you MUST talk about it, NOW" at people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've done a bunch of poo poo blackout drunk, no memory of it at all. Got scars in my face as reminders. Guess that is different tho since those are memories that were never stored to begin with.

Anyway, memories are just a bunch of atoms in your brain. They can be wrong.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

doverhog posted:

I've done a bunch of poo poo blackout drunk, no memory of it at all. Got scars in my face as reminders. Guess that is different tho since those are memories that were never stored to begin with.

it's loving scary when this happens for the first time. like a black hole in your mind that you cannot access, no matter how hard you try to remember, as if you didn't exist for a few hours. i kinda assume that's what death feels like - you just switch off and fall into this black hole, only to never return

happened to me twice, been super careful not to get too drunk ever since. it kinda freaked me out lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

the idea that memories are "repressed" at all in a way that you can't access them except through therapy is completely debunked. as for memories that you can recall but would rather not because theyre unpleasant, i think it really depends a lot on the person and the situation whether or not it's good to linger on memories, too often we throw a blanket "you MUST talk about it, NOW" at people

They’re not a real thing yes that’s correct. Which is why no real therapist will do that. You’re actively explaining to the thread why the problem you’re mad at already doesn’t exist outside of charlatans and bad fiction.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My resentment of 'share your pain' etc comes more from the media that what (presumably) actual therapists do. There's now a trend that people have to be open and honest about their mental health socially, particularly on social media.

I honestly see facebook posts from old school acquaintances going "well it has been a tough week but I am so glad to be through it with the help of..."

If they want to post that, fine, but it's going to become a fashion or expectation. Driven of course by celebrities and advertisers who are in powerful, wealthy positions and won't be harmed by a little oversharing of their manufactured drama.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

nurmie posted:

happened to me twice, been super careful not to get too drunk ever since. it kinda freaked me out lol

See when you have peak depression brain that annihilation of the self? That black hole is what you live for. It's what made me realise I was probably depressed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nurmie posted:

it's loving scary when this happens for the first time. like a black hole in your mind that you cannot access, no matter how hard you try to remember, as if you didn't exist for a few hours. i kinda assume that's what death feels like - you just switch off and fall into this black hole, only to never return

Love to wake up to snapchat stories I don't remember taking.

SA phuo: food derails rule

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

SA phuo: food derails rule

I see someone else has been enjoying the quotes thread lately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Informant! is probably the best American movie of the 21st century so far.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

can we please never loving say "cool and good" ever again jesus

hear hear

Gripweed posted:

The Informant! is probably the best American movie of the 21st century so far.

I really like this movie, but the best movie of the 21st century? Why do you think that it is that good?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Captain Monkey posted:

They’re not a real thing yes that’s correct. Which is why no real therapist will do that. You’re actively explaining to the thread why the problem you’re mad at already doesn’t exist outside of charlatans and bad fiction.

it exists and licensed therapists do this. I call it "time traveling". Some therapists are just absolute psychos who think a patient can sherlock holmes their way out of past trauma by going back to it and analyzing every detail... and they do it every session. Many people who have a good and helpful therapist had to churn through a few duds before finding someone that helps them feel less awful.

edit: i really appreciate Shibawanko for mentioning it because it's a huge problem when most people's expectation is "this is going to help!" and then get traumatized and don't know any better than to ditch that therapist and find a better one (which surely exists)

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jul 11, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

astrology isn't the same as Christianity because astrology doesn't have actual rules you have to follow or you go to hell, and there isn't a huge astrology power structure in society that lobbies the government to do horrible poo poo and shelters old creeps who diddle kids

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

astrology isn't the same as Christianity because astrology doesn't have actual rules you have to follow or you go to hell, and there isn't a huge astrology power structure in society that lobbies the government to do horrible poo poo and shelters old creeps who diddle kids

Does christianity actually follow rules? Like sure, some fuckers will use the Tanakh/Old Testament to justify being a dick, but I don't see any of them avoiding shrimp or praying thrice a day.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

no its just lame and weird

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’ve known a few people who use being an Aries or whatever as an excuse for their lovely behavior, or that they were justified in being an rear end in a top hat to someone because they were a different sign. Being an rear end in a top hat isn’t exclusive to astrology but that’s been my experience with it so there you go

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

I’ve known a few people who use being an Aries or whatever as an excuse for their lovely behavior, or that they were justified in being an rear end in a top hat to someone because they were a different sign. Being an rear end in a top hat isn’t exclusive to astrology but that’s been my experience with it so there you go

So your experience is that there are assholes you know who happen to believe in astrology.

this is extremely profound

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Was there really a whole page and a half about how astrology is good but what about big bad boogeyman Christianity and also you are a misogynist if you don't think it's real and also it's better than warhammer and anime combined

I will say there is actually something supernatural about warhammer because the people I've known who are really into it absolutely could not afford to buy all the figures and scenery they had. It's like the loaves and the fishes except with little metal soldiers

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's normal to dislike assholes with power more than assholes with no power

I get more pissed at senators saying stupid poo poo than some hillbilly from a holler saying stupid poo poo, and I get more pissed at a dude with his own city saying stupid poo poo than a palm reader in a strip mall saying stupid poo poo. it's not that hard to understand lol

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Manager Hoyden posted:

Was there really a whole page and a half about how astrology is good but what about big bad boogeyman Christianity and also you are a misogynist if you don't think it's real and also it's better than warhammer and anime combined

I will say there is actually something supernatural about warhammer because the people I've known who are really into it absolutely could not afford to buy all the figures and scenery they had. It's like the loaves and the fishes except with little metal soldiers

Yeah, and it was stupider than your joke summary.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People who say that criticism of astrology is misogyny are not trying to make astrology better. They’re trying to make women worse.

They’re using reverse psychology to get the listener to associate an innocent group with something disreputable. It’s like if I told you that you can’t hate beans in chili because that’s a distinctly African-American take on the dish. You’re not thinking “wtf beans in chili is cool & good now”. You’re thinking “Huh. They do chili wrong”.

And also that I just made that up, which I did.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Jul 11, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

not really, no. i think you're seeing things. at least, this summary (or whatever you might call this) hasn't got much in common with what was said

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

So your experience is that there are assholes you know who happen to believe in astrology.

this is extremely profound

Why does it need to be profound?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Where the gently caress are you guys meeting all these religiously fervent astrologers? Cause not one time has anyone assaulted me for my sign or tried to figure out what planet is rising in my moons. Y'all just getting accosted at the bus or something?

It's because I'm a Capricorn, isn't it?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

nurmie posted:

not really, no. i think you're seeing things. at least, this summary (or whatever you might call this) hasn't got much in common with what was said

Huh that's weird I coulda sworn

Anyway, fortune telling is very dumb in all its forms and once money gets involved it is 100% predatory fraud

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Huh that's weird I coulda sworn

Anyway, fortune telling is very dumb in all its forms and once money gets involved it is 100% predatory fraud

The same could be said of all religions.

But enough talk!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

fizzymercury posted:

Where the gently caress are you guys meeting all these religiously fervent astrologers? Cause not one time has anyone assaulted me for my sign or tried to figure out what planet is rising in my moons. Y'all just getting accosted at the bus or something?

It's because I'm a Capricorn, isn't it?

I had a job with about four people who were obsessed with astrology, and a few friends of friends. I remember being at a local carnival and spending over an hour being harangued by someone who wouldn't take "I'm not interested" as an answer (i think that started after I went on one of those "guess your weight, age, and birth month" games and the attendant got all three wrong)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think goons are pro- or neutral about astrology now because they used to be virulently anti-astrology, and being reflexively contrarian to their 2012 opinions is a key part of the nu-Goon ideology.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I imagine the pendulum shifted to "relatively harmless" once anti-vaxxers gained political footholds and started bringing Measles back. Suddenly "lol I'm a Taurus" seems like small potatoes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mind the walrus posted:

I imagine the pendulum shifted to "relatively harmless" once anti-vaxxers gained political footholds and started bringing Measles back. Suddenly "lol I'm a Taurus" seems like small potatoes.

What of I told you that there's a lot of overlap in these groups?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Atticus_1354 posted:

I’d need to see the data for that

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I keep my thermostat at 80f because that's the perfect indoor temperature and apparently that's the most unpopular opinion on the planet.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

fizzymercury posted:

I keep my thermostat at 80f because that's the perfect indoor temperature and apparently that's the most unpopular opinion on the planet.

Reptilians are real!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

you should only use ibdoor heating if you live in murmansk or something

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

fizzymercury posted:

That's what my grandparents keep it at and it's my least favorite part about going to visit them. It's not "hot", but it's not comfortable to me. Or even them apparently - they constantly complain that it feels hot in here and put on the fans.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'd say "Hating on the astrology still seems like small potatoes and at worst symptomatic of a general problem in functioning."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn't use my Air Conditioning the last two years because some Pigeons started nesting right next to it, and I didn't wanna destroy their hearing or something. Kinda sucked a lot, but my energy bill was nice and low.

Shibawanko posted:

you should only use ibdoor heating if you live in murmansk or something

There's places that get cold enough, and have lovely enough insulation that you have to have your heat on once the temp gets below zero otherwise your water pipes start bursting

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

I'd say "Hating on the astrology still seems like small potatoes and at worst symptomatic of a general problem in functioning."

You are not a functioning human being if you don't like astrology is certainly a take

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Manager Hoyden posted:

You are not a functioning human being if you don't like astrology is certainly a take

Where did anyone say that???

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People literally freezing to death in their homes in the Rio Grande Valley six months ago: drat what idiots we were, this was fine, how did we die

My literal actual russian girlfriend living in Texas six months ago: gently caress it's way too cold in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's my fault for assuming this topic had calm, rational, logical actors who could infer that "the astrology" was implying a read from my previous post as "the astrology [portion of their erroneous beliefs]"