Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

This look with the eyes and painted-on skull is so loving goofy it's the #1 reason I hate most of his comic appearances.

He's goofy. He's got 3 main looks. Pirate Skeletor. Flamboyant Pirate Skeletor. Tacticool Skeletor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

He's goofy. He's got 3 main looks. Pirate Skeletor. Flamboyant Pirate Skeletor. Tacticool Skeletor.

I'll admit that I'd be much more into the idea of a He-Man reboot if it gave us Flamboyant Pirate Skeletor. Just Skeletor with eye-socket liner voiced by Johnny Depp.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I like when Taskmaster fights someone that has an ability that he can't mimic. Like in All New Wolverine where Laura just stabs him trough the hand with her foot claw. They always forget about the foot claws

Like what would he do against like, Scarlet Witch or Longshot?

Mimicking the fighting style of Laura or Logan who have no need to play defense is a bad idea Tasky.

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
I assume this has been theorycrafted before, but if the next phase is going all in on the multiverse stuff, maybe it will eventually culminate in Doom creating Battleworld? It would make a lot of thematic sense with a bunch of the concepts they've been throwing around in Loki and a lot of the upcoming slate, and it would entirely legitimise him as a big big bad if they could tease his creation of it over a few films. Maybe not for a phase or two, but a girl can dream.

I just want a well done Doom!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

SomeKindofVerb posted:

I assume this has been theorycrafted before, but if the next phase is going all in on the multiverse stuff, maybe it will eventually culminate in Doom creating Battleworld? It would make a lot of thematic sense with a bunch of the concepts they've been throwing around in Loki and a lot of the upcoming slate, and it would entirely legitimise him as a big big bad if they could tease his creation of it over a few films. Maybe not for a phase or two, but a girl can dream.

I just want a well done Doom!

I’d love an entire phase of just Battleworld stuff. Just let anyone do whatever they want, use what characters they want, and just reset it at the end.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just rewatched Loki Episode 5 and the blanket scene is achingly :3:

Even if they fail to stick the landing this has been a blast and the last 2 episodes have been worth it by themselves.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Yeah, tbh I'm really loving Loki more so than Captain America and the Winter Soldier, though i didn't really even go on the forums during that show i was do disinterested.

I'm really hoping its not just another loki though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mike the TV posted:

Taskmaster watching wrestling and suplexing people would be fun.

Heroes did this. S3E1 I think.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Yeah, tbh I'm really loving Loki more so than Captain America and the Winter Soldier, though i didn't really even go on the forums during that show i was do disinterested.

I'm really hoping its not just another loki though.

The show is enormously better just by virtue of sticking with the titular character for 90% of the runtime and not getting distracted. The scenes that don't include Hiddleston still progress our understanding of this tight story being told.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1413687517291991040

This 100% Loki vs Falcon & Winter Soldier (and all of the military/spy-adjacent marvel stuff) for me.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 12, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Grumbles posted:

This 100% Loki vs Falcon & Winter Soldier (and all of the military/spy-adjacent marvel stuff) for me.

I think if you watch Loki stoned you can understand Alligator Loki without Old Loki's interpretation because Alligator Loki will speak to you directly from the screen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

I'm pretty curious how they tie the two together, with all the multiverse shenanigans and whatever Val's doing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol apparently Chris Hemsworth recorded new lines for Throg :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Wait, so is Loki a weed show or a hat show, because there's an argument for both.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

They released new posters, but the only one that matters is our good boy Alligator Loki:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1414585371564904448

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Grumbles posted:

I enjoy both. I am also kind of more biased towards the Cap-related stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

I enjoy both. I am also kind of more biased towards the Cap-related stuff.

The Cap-realm stuff is better when done well (Winter Soldier, parts of Civil War, parts of Infinity War, parts of Falcon and The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1 and 3, etc.).

But, when done mediocrely or poorly, (Iron Man 2, parts of Falcon and the Winter soldier, Black Widow in anything other than Black Widow, parts of the Avengers, etc.) I'd rather them just go for a mediocre weird stoned movie.

Thor, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Doctor Strange had some fun stuff to look at and creative stoned weirdness. Whereas the mediocre "real world" parts of Iron Man 2 or The Avengers were pretty meh.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 12, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The weed movies rely too much on the visuals, particularly Ragnarok and Doctor Strange.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The weed movies rely too much on the visuals, particularly Ragnarok and Doctor Strange.

I mean, they're comic book films, so I'd certainly hope so!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AngryBooch posted:

Mimicking the fighting style of Laura or Logan who have no need to play defense is a bad idea Tasky.

Yea, they're both always on the offense.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Cap-realm stuff is better when done well (Winter Soldier, parts of Civil War, parts of Infinity War, parts of Falcon and The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 1 and 3, etc.).

But, when done mediocrely or poorly, (Iron Man 2, parts of Falcon and the Winter soldier, Black Widow in anything other than Black Widow, parts of the Avengers, etc.) I'd rather them just go for a mediocre weird stoned movie.

Thor, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Doctor Strange had some fun stuff to look at and creative stoned weirdness. Whereas the mediocre "real world" parts of Iron Man 2 or The Avengers were pretty meh.

One if the weird (and not in a good way) bits for me is that I spent most of Iron Man 3 thinking that the kid Tony met was a figment of his imagination and that we'd get some BS reveal that the kid was somehow Tony as a child or something. I don't know if it was the kid's acting or the directing but the kid never came off like he was a real human being. The one really good thing about IM3 was the Trevor Slattery reveal. I would watch the poo poo out of a Trevor Slattery Marvel movie or series.

IM2 was... okay. I didn't hate it. It did its various jobs of introducing or touching base with characters would be important in later movies (Shandling, ScarJo, Samuel Mother-Fuckin' Jackson, "Peter Parker"). I'm a little disappointed we haven't gotten more of Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer and it would've been better if Mickey Rourke's character had been allowed to be right about Stark's dad being a thieving rear end in a top hat, but it was an okay movie.

Honestly the Marvel movies I tend to re-watch are the Ant-Man ones. I just really like that part of the world with Paul Rudd's Scott Lang being a fairly normal person trying to deal with all the whacky Marvel poo poo while also trying to have a real, normal life with his daughter. In the first movie, his reaction to getting told about all this weird shrinking tech being "I think our first movie should be to call the Avengers" is just such a "Yeah, that's what a real person in that situation would do" kind of thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

live with fruit posted:

The hat movies rely too much on expanding the boring politics crap from Age of Ultron.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

If this isn't how Loki ends, I'm going to be pissed:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

If this isn't how Loki ends, I'm going to be pissed:

I don't know about that exactly, but there will need to be some Owen Wilson Jetski action this Wednesday.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The jetski was behind the TVA all along

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Are there any news in how long this next episode is gonna be?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I realized I had never watched Season 2 of the punisher and it has all the same problems as the rest of the Netflix shows.

1-2 episodes of setup and good action.

8-10 episodes of dragging terrible overly dramatic conversations on the same 3 sets interspersed with a few okay action scenes that accomplish nothing and have basically no stakes. Primary characters are either forced to avoid each other or escape in increasingly stupid ways so the show can continue shambling on.

1-2 episodes of an attempt at a big finale that they don't actually have the budget for.

I think every one of the Netflix series would have been improved by shortening the series by a couple episodes, and splitting the A and B plots of the season into two tighter mini-arcs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They could have all been improved by making them comic book shows rather than soap operas

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I though Daredevil season 1 was fine, but I think the soap opera thing stemmed from them trying to grab a wide audience instead of embracing the comic book-ness of it. Compare it to like Agents of SHIELD, where the best seasons had LMDs and Ghost Rider and Inhumans in it.

Instead they tried to make them like a gritty cop drama.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

In the age of streaming I think shows in general should cater number of episodes to what the writers/directors need to accomplish the story.

I understand that budgets exist, but give the creative team control of doing what they need to do with said budget instead of mandating exactly X episodes.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I think the long-form soap style worked for Luke Cage s2, it was a good plot with a lot of moving pieces that moved together pretty well.

I can't really say that about any other Netflix marvel season though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

All the last generation of superhero shows especially the DC CW ones had been long form soaps. There was probably pressure of the that made money do that variety.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The "street level" slogan was a big part too -- it's not that big a jump from quotidian to soap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

All the last generation of superhero shows especially the DC CW ones had been long form soaps. There was probably pressure of the that made money do that variety.

"Good enough for the CW" is a pretty low bar for a premium ish service tho

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Azhais posted:

"Good enough for the CW" is a pretty low bar for a premium ish service tho

There had been a number of other attempts at superhero shows -- Heroes, No Ordinary Family, Agents of SHIELD, Chuck -- most of which played with soap elements.

Soap is the dominant unit in all television. Always has been, probably always will be. Hell, the MCU is constructed like a soap opera.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

There had been a number of other attempts at superhero shows -- Heroes, No Ordinary Family, Agents of SHIELD, Chuck -- most of which played with soap elements.

Soap is the dominant unit in all television. Always has been, probably always will be. Hell, the MCU is constructed like a soap opera.

No Ordinary Family was surprisingly decent and I was bummed when it got cancelled.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gangringo posted:

I realized I had never watched Season 2 of the punisher and it has all the same problems as the rest of the Netflix shows.

1-2 episodes of setup and good action.

8-10 episodes of dragging terrible overly dramatic conversations on the same 3 sets interspersed with a few okay action scenes that accomplish nothing and have basically no stakes. Primary characters are either forced to avoid each other or escape in increasingly stupid ways so the show can continue shambling on.

1-2 episodes of an attempt at a big finale that they don't actually have the budget for.

I think every one of the Netflix series would have been improved by shortening the series by a couple episodes, and splitting the A and B plots of the season into two tighter mini-arcs.

Yeah I tell people to watch the the first three(?) episodes, which make a good last stand kinda movie, and then watch the gym fight on Youtube.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Soap is the dominant unit in all television. Always has been, probably always will be.

Soap operas and police procedurals. That's why Lucifer is the way it is.

Although I would like to see an actual superhero show constructed in a Latin American telenovela style, which are the superior soap operas. Those can get loving WILD when the writers are allowed to :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how both seasons of the Punisher had him shooting Conservatives. PMCs in season 1 and Religious billionairs in the second. Frank Castle is Antifa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s super hard to tell long punisher stories because he’s a character that actively resists change and relationships. He was probably best in daredevil, because he was an antagonist.

The season two opening montage of “punisher kills every mobster“ was pretty cool. But after that, it’s hard to tell a story of him being menaced by other peoples with guns, because he’s a war god.