Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kurzon posted:

What was Gene's justification for Starfleet not using cloaking tech? I remember reading somewhere that he felt cloaks didn't fit with the Federation's theme of being forthright. Starfleet doesn't sneak around, he said.

Forbidden by the diplomatic treaty that stopped the Romulan War, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Eimi posted:

Easily the worst abominations Discovery has given us has to be all the 32c. stuff. It's all so much visual noise or ugly holes or just pure nonsense.

Anything that makes one long for ridiculous one-off extravagant silliness of the Enterprise J must be loving terrible, and everything in season 3 of Disco does exactly that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Forbidden by the diplomatic treaty that stopped the Romulan War, I thought.

SMH at Gene for letting the Romulans dictate the terms of his TV show.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Treaty of Algeron is one of the dumbest treaties every signed given what it stipulates of the Federation, but I love it because it's exactly the kind of treaty the Federation would have to sign to actually be as moral as they are shown.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

A lot of Discovery's original design choices set out under Fuller were setup for the season 2 plot reveal where the outer sections of the saucer come off and the (then) up-angled nacelles are shifted to point down and it's unveiled it was designed to be able to go undercover as a Klingon ship.

In that take of the show every season would be a weird new batshit ridiculous thing being tried out by this classified ship that's basically Starfleet's ongoing Philadelphia Experiment.

I can't decide if I love this or if it's the dumbest thing in Star Trek I've ever read

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Guess you didn’t watch Picard with subtitles then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This episode of Star Trek DS9 (Season 3 episode 6) has the what the loving christ Jake is like 15 years old and dating a Dabo girl episode which what the loving hell.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hollismason posted:

This episode of Star Trek DS9 (Season 3 episode 6) has the what the loving christ Jake is like 15 years old and dating a Dabo girl episode which what the loving hell.

Maybe you are not woke enough for this utopian future?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

jeeves posted:

Maybe you are not woke enough for this utopian future?

Its loving weird. Like she is obviously an adult woman dating a 15 year old.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Hollismason posted:

Its loving weird. Like she is obviously an adult woman dating a 15 year old.

The actress is actually only two years older than Jake's. But for some reason they decided to write her as a twenty year old.

(If you want to be really creeped out - Chase Masterson (Leeta) was originally considered for the part. Avery Brooks, thankfully, vetoed that.)

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tighclops posted:

I can't decide if I love this or if it's the dumbest thing in Star Trek I've ever read

It's not any worse than what we got.
Kinda wish they did more bullshit experimental things rather than just have the mushroom drive be the only thing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
like it feels super dumb that would fool the klingons somehow although I'm sure there's a real world maritime equivalent somewhere in history

still better than the ftl drive that runs on bdsm war crimes

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Tighclops posted:

like it feels super dumb that would fool the klingons somehow although I'm sure there's a real world maritime equivalent somewhere in history
The Dutch Navy once camouflaged a ship to resemble an island.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Eimi posted:

The Treaty of Algeron is one of the dumbest treaties every signed given what it stipulates of the Federation, but I love it because it's exactly the kind of treaty the Federation would have to sign to actually be as moral as they are shown.
It's not unrealistic. Many countries have agreed not to develop nuclear weapons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

still better than the ftl drive that runs on bdsm war crimes

Part of the setup of Disco is that the Klingon empire is heavily fragmented into the different houses and there's no central authority or navy and they probably all have their own design variations and stuff so that'd help if that was part of it back then.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 12, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kurzon posted:

It's not unrealistic. Many countries have agreed not to develop nuclear weapons.

Having looked it up it's a treaty that was signed 100 years after the Earth-Romulan war (which Starfleet won) to formalise the Neutral Zone.

So the context is that the Romulans lose a war, sulk for 100 years and refuse to talk, then when they finally come out to negotiate a treaty the Federation is all 'you agree to stay behind your border and all you want from us is to agree not to mess about with this technology that nobody on our side has found anything interesting to do with in a century? Sure we can do that. Gosh you've really got us over a barrel there!'

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Spock took the Enterprise into the heart of Klingon space with nothing but the 23rd century equivalent of Google translate, a Starfleet ship painted brown and with no saucer could probably park in Kronos orbit and not be noticed for like a week

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Alchenar posted:

So the context is that the Romulans lose a war, sulk for 100 years and refuse to talk, then when they finally come out to negotiate a treaty the Federation is all 'you agree to stay behind your border and all you want from us is to agree not to mess about with this technology that nobody on our side has found anything interesting to do with in a century? Sure we can do that. Gosh you've really got us over a barrel there!'
You make it sound like the Federation didn't care about cloak. But really the Federation had the advantage, the didn't need to make any concessions.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean the shape would be a lot more important than the colour or visual appearance because most of the time you'd only be showing up on sensors anyway. You'd have to be absurdly close to another spaceship to see it with your eyes if you weren't in orbit or otherwise deliberately getting close up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well according to Fuller that was the reason that (his) Discovery was built with things like, for example, rectangular nacelles and a different kind of hull surfacing while the rest of Starfleet we would have seen were built with circular nacelles and more TOS-look. (Obviously under Kurtz they threw all that out and just had a new different style that all starfleet ships used)

They experimented with stuff like having similar gaps in nacelles to earlier klingon ships from ENT

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 12, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Personally I will always find the simple cylindrical nacelle of TOS to be the most charming.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I like the big red glowy bits on the front of the Ent-D's nacelles.

They really sell them as weak points so that when another ship collides with one of them it causes the entire ship to catastrophically explode.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Alchenar posted:

Having looked it up it's a treaty that was signed 100 years after the Earth-Romulan war (which Starfleet won) to formalise the Neutral Zone.

The thing is that since the Treaty of Algeron the Romulans cause a lot of problems for the Federation that would have justified abandoning the treaty, like the time they tried to sneak an invasion force onto Vulcan, and that time Shinzon tried to nuke Earth. The treaty is not working anymore, the Romulans don't respect the peace.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brawnfire posted:

Personally I will always find the simple cylindrical nacelle of TOS to be the most charming.

Yeah, the round nacelles are great. I don't like the more modern angular ones. I also loved the updated Konnie ones, the spinning bussard collectors were a great touch.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Seemlar posted:

Spock took the Enterprise into the heart of Klingon space with nothing but the 23rd century equivalent of Google translate, a Starfleet ship painted brown and with no saucer could probably park in Kronos orbit and not be noticed for like a week

Federation aren't the only humanoids, or even the only humans, that have access to the Klingon space and Kronos. It is not a closed planet since they have embassies and stuff. It wouldn't need to look like Klingon warbird, just looking like not-Federation would be enough to pull off that stunt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wouldn't it be easier to just clone a Klingon design? Or acquire a Klingon ship through presumably many possible avenues?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, yes. Or from someone other than Klingons like Orion pirates, who have most likely relatively unrestricted access to the sector since they have an embassy and run a marketplace there. This would also ensure that there is zero chance that the ship shows up non-registered, stolen or missing if someone with high enough security clearance decides to scan it against the known Klingon warship registry.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kurzon posted:

The thing is that since the Treaty of Algeron the Romulans cause a lot of problems for the Federation that would have justified abandoning the treaty, like the time they tried to sneak an invasion force onto Vulcan, and that time Shinzon tried to nuke Earth. The treaty is not working anymore, the Romulans don't respect the peace.

To be fair, the Federation have at least the Pegasus and the Defiant with cloaks. Although I guess the latter started out with a romulan on board to make sure it was above board. And probably a couple of extra secret projects, including some borrowed Klingon ships from when they were allies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's be honest: Riker would gently caress Quark's mom and they'd both enjoy it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's be honest: Riker would gently caress Quark's mom and they'd both enjoy it.

Quarks mom is awesome. Riker is great. Count me in!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Sash! posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just clone a Klingon design? Or acquire a Klingon ship through presumably many possible avenues?
There was a 3rd season TOS episode where the Enterprise runs into Romulan ships that resembled Klingon ones. Appranetly, this was not done due to budget cuts, it was because the producers wanted to get more use out of the Klingon ship models because they had put a lot of money into them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BonHair posted:

Quarks mom is awesome. Riker is great. Count me in!

You wanna be third, you mean?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kurzon posted:

There was a 3rd season TOS episode where the Enterprise runs into Romulan ships that resembled Klingon ones. Appranetly, this was not done due to budget cuts, it was because the producers wanted to get more use out of the Klingon ship models because they had put a lot of money into them.

This also became part of the lore and is observable for example in the Starfleet Command -games; To kickstart the modernization of their fleet designs Romulan's bought surplus ships from the Klingons and retrofitted them with their own stuff. So yeah, the D7 birds got around, like those excess carriers from the WW2 and Cold war.

The recommisioned bird of prey we see in PIC is from the development line that was abandoned, and the D'deridex is the new design they came up with while in isolation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

You wanna be third, you mean?

Third of five

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Third of five

Hugh dog, you

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Third of five

Heck yeah, get me some of that XB poontang, and throw in a sex candle ghost.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kurzon posted:

To be fair, Shinzon did not represent the legitimate government of Romulus. He didn't even represent the Romulan people in an unofficial or even provisional capacity.

As a comparison, holding the Romulan Empire accountable for Shinzon's actions would be a little bit like holding France accountable for actions undertaken by Haiti.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 12, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm 8 of 9... right after the salt vampire. :smith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kurzon posted:

That's hard though. Like, sure, on the one hand the Romulans try starting a lot of poo poo in TNG. On the other hand, a hot war would be catastrophic. Does scrapping the treaty and putting cloaks on Fed ships actually make them more secure?

Kurzon posted:

Well, that and the original Romulan ship model had been destroyed when the racists in the prop makers' union blacklisted Wah Chang.

Der Kyhe posted:

This also became part of the lore and is observable for example in the Starfleet Command -games; To kickstart the modernization of their fleet designs Romulan's bought surplus ships from the Klingons and retrofitted them with their own stuff. So yeah, the D7 birds got around, like those excess carriers from the WW2 and Cold war.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Here are some recent long-range scans of Klingon fleet bases at Qo'nos and Beta Thoridar. That's where the Klingons have got their old D7 reserve fleet, in dock there. But each week, there're fewer, because they're selling 'em off like hotcakes to the Tholians, the Orions, and others."
"All due respect, sir, one modern Starfleet heavy cruiser could defeat several old D7s."
"In conventional battle, certainly, that's true. But what if you had one renegade captain, decided to hit us, bam!, suddenly, without cause or warning. Like a terrorist intent on getting a photon warhead into one of our starbases! You think we could catch and kill a bogie like that in time?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think with Disco and Klingon infiltration they were going to be leaning on the "Klingon empire is fragmented and has no central navy and many design variants" thing and also the "Klingon empire has been quite isolationist during this period"