Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

Too-tikki why did you tar the poop?

M Retail

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

"An innocent publicity stunt" is not how I would describe abandoning a baby and kidnapping a journalist. And likely several less serious crimes on top of those. How did they even get the parents to agree to a plan that starts with "hand your baby to a random stranger and then disappear for a few days"?
And what about the guy locked in the aviary? And that woman they were also holding hostage?

I'm gonna have to agree with whoever said this was an attempt to clean up things after the writer wrote themselves into a corner.
Don't dox me.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

If I remember right, she was bullied, by a kid, who she put in his place, and is now her friend. She doesn't remember any of that because she was hit by a car.

Andertoons

Can't decide if this would be better as "What about @#%$* expletives?"

Apartment 3-G

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

I just remembered an old Curtis that used this punchline except with "rap" music (I know he dropped the quotes for Onion but if "rap" no longer gets quote marks then what the hell is this strip anymore) vs old R&B, and I thought it was really funny how he specified that the old stuff was about "unprotected" sex as if modern "rap" contextualizes any sexual content by mentioning prophylactic usage or the old stuff specifically mentioned barebacking or whatever.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

And what about the guy locked in the aviary? And that woman they were also holding hostage?

I'm gonna have to agree with whoever said this was an attempt to clean up things after the writer wrote themselves into a corner.

The woman on the boat seems have been an actress -- remember, the guy was critiquing her attempt at playing a bereaved mother ("no, that's terrible!") when he went out to check on her. Why was she out on a boat? Well, um, look over there!

As for the guy in the aviary, that will be explained. Sort of.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Me, every time the Kevin and Kell relationship diagram expands or gains new and more terrifying backlinks.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mark Trail could partly redeem itself if they lose the guys in the roundabout

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Only if they do a sweet Tokyo drift all the way round and then the other car gets written off by crashing into a feral hog.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Mandrake learns the hard way that cops just want to arrest the easiest target.

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But Mark is away on his travels and nowhere near the roundabout. So we can only dream.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

The woman on the boat seems have been an actress -- remember, the guy was critiquing her attempt at playing a bereaved mother ("no, that's terrible!") when he went out to check on her. Why was she out on a boat? Well, um, look over there!

As for the guy in the aviary, that will be explained. Sort of.
It's hard for me to keep track of these one-dimensional barely introduced characters I guess.

All I care about now is how much that one woman loves that other woman's hats.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The gang know the best time when do gun down unarmed men, or Have you got the joke that McClure's an alcoholic? Y'know, it's real subtle, alluded to a lot in this story, but just in case it passed you by, here's another alcoholism joke, or Making one hell of an entrance into town

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Btw have we discussed this blog before? http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/

Latest entry:

Stripper's Guide posted:

I feel pretty sheepish that H.T. Elmo's features are so rarely featured on Stripper's Guide. I'm fascinated by Mr. Elmo's dogged pursuit to scratch out a living selling weekly features to small papers, year after year, decade after decade, probably never making more than a pittance, and probably being stiffed more often than being paid..

Here is It's Amazing from Elmo's aptly named Elmo Features Syndicate. This is yet another in the long procession of Ripley wanna-bes; how surprised would I be to find that many of the items in these panels were cribbed from Ripley and his other imitators ... not much.

The earliest examples of It's Amazing I have seen are from 1942, but based on the numbering in those the start date could possibly be in 1941. As with most Elmo productions, the feature was sold in batches, though, so start and end dates are pretty academic. The highest numbered panel I've come across is #272, which would afford a client paper over five years worth of weekly It's Amazing panels if they paid for an entire run.

The entire run of It's Amazing seems to be drawn by Elmo himself, but he never actually took credit on it. Panels #1 - 176 are signed "Harmon", and then "Hothel" for the remainder of the run. I understand why Elmo didn't take direct credit on It's Amazing -- he took credit on some other Elmo Features Syndicate strips and wanted to give clients the idea that there were lots of cartoonists in the Elmo bullpen. What I can't figure out, though, is why he changed pen-name horses in the middle of the run. I also think Elmo probably reused some of his earlier 'weird facts' art from Facts You Never Knew and some other features that he produced for trade publications. He also wasn't above selling It's Amazing as comic book filler. Fox Features used some panels in their comic books in the mid- to late-1940s* under the title Facts You Wouldn't Believe.

Elmo sold this and his other features for so long that they began to look really out of place in even Podunk newspapers. The latest I've ever seen It's Amazing run is 1970, in the Cottonport Leader, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find later ones.

If anyone has access to Elmo Features advertising or business correspondence, anything that would shed light on his syndicate business, I'd be thrilled to see it!

* By the way, the GCD cites these as being by "Clint Harmon" -- maybe such a cartoonist exists, but I really don't think he had anything to do with It's Amazing. If anyone knows different, I invite correction.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Haifisch posted:

1) I beg you to read this interview, it explains so much about Overboard.
2) Gocomics has Overboard going back to the beginning(August 1990, although comics being there or not is spotty until sometime in 1996) so guess what I'm posting now.

wowowowow, i missed this earlier and it's always wild seeing how early overboard looked, thanks for posting!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

riderchop posted:

wowowowow, i missed this earlier and it's always wild seeing how early overboard looked, thanks for posting!

Yeah, I gotta agree with the other goons who commented on how much better the art and jokes are in early Overboard. I had remembered liking it back in the early ‘90s, and was surprised when I came back to it in this thread and found it in the very weird place it currently occupies.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's an awfully big "alley".

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mark Trail could partly redeem itself if they lose the guys in the roundabout
The roundabout is in a different state. That'd be one hell of a long car chase.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Wait, didn't I see this recently?

Drimble Wedge posted:

Edit: oh my god, I found some Swedish strips!

Oh, right. Dated 2008, so a decent wait until reusing the strip. Swedish version definetly has better coloring, at least.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's not how mayonnaise is sold elsewhere?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Poil posted:

No, it comes in jars here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Poil posted:

Just in the past few years I've seen in ketchup style squeeze bottles, which I guess is technically a tube?, but for the longest time it was only available in jars.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

The hell is Mopsy wearing? :stare:

A merkin might be involved

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

I know classic A3G never takes time off between stories, but did this one wrap up the bartender med student in a Sunday strip we didn't see? One moment he (or the woman being shoehorned into marriage) looked miserable and then *poof*, Lu Ann's coming home!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (November 27, 1933)

Peanuts (July 15, 1974)

Funky WinkerCon

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 10, 1938)

Out Our Way (December 28-30, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (November 1-3, 1917)

Wrapping up Little Lefty's Labor Agitation Vacation! (January 17-19, 1935)

Chris Wright came out with a fascinating two-pronged writeup of the Communist-backed Workers’ Unemployment Insurance Bill for Counterpunch. On the one hand, he talks about what it envisioned--not just unemployment insurance but underemployment insurance, maternity benefits, and social insurance for the sick and elderly--and the movement behind it that, by Wright's telling, threw enough of a scare into Congress that the "relatively conservative" Social Security Act sailed through by comparison.

The other thread of his argument: the only way you can argue that Americans are centrists at heart, as people like to do, is to bury this type of history and pretend that the Townshend Plan was as far as it went before the SSA. Which is why you more than likely found out about it accidentally by reading about comic strips.

Moving on, Ann Burlak (1911-2002), known to her fellow travellers as "The Red Flame", dropped out of school at 14 to work in the mills to help support her family. By 16 she was a union organizer and American Communist, and before she was 20 she was in jail under a pre-Civil War Georgia insurrection law which could carry the death sentence. And that was just her first act...

Blondie From Zero (November 17-19, 1930)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

9 PoochCafe Lane

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Ah, so the mulching course is an elaborate ruse to make old people learn how to use newer technology :hmmyes:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky WinkerCon

Yes, San Diego ComiCon, a thing that is definitely happening, right now, in 2021.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Well fooey, I forgot about Dok's Trippy Duck (September 7, 1913)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Nah, Funky takes place ten years in the future; for them it's 2021 and the Covid pandemic was a decade ago.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JethroMcB posted:

Yes, San Diego ComiCon, a thing that is definitely happening, right now, in 2021.

They forget the joke.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (July 27, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 4, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (August 30, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (January 31, 1936)

Mopsy (April 1, 1937)

Up Front (May 13, 1944)

Dark Laughter (July 19, 1947)

Those Were the Days (April 22, 1953)

Wee Pals (October 21, 1965)

Dogbert February 14, 1966

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If Funky Winkerbean suddenly turns into that crazy rear end ComicCon robbery arc from modern Dick Tracy I’ll forgive it all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (September 3, 1918)

Just pick up your feet for a second, rear end in a top hat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Just pick up your feet for a second, rear end in a top hat.

On an unrelated note-- those chairs with the armrest table are neat.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

On an unrelated note-- those chairs with the armrest table are neat.

Was it here or in another thread where someone talked about how the old diners made it as uncomfortable as possible for people ordering. They didn't want people hanging around, so they had lines of chairs set up like that.

It all blends together after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Transmodiar posted:

I know classic A3G never takes time off between stories, but did this one wrap up the bartender med student in a Sunday strip we didn't see? One moment he (or the woman being shoehorned into marriage) looked miserable and then *poof*, Lu Ann's coming home!

This was bugging me so I looked it up. We didn’t miss anything, they just drop the story for awhile. This ran end of December 1975 and the Frank and Jan story picks up in late-April 1976. Until then it’s a *sigh* Lu Ann story. Not even a fun Margo story.