Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Larryb posted:

Speaking of toys, how much did SPoP actually get in terms of merchandise?

It got some not great looking dolls. Like, ostensibly they’re ok, but the faces are really off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Geo Fixer posted:

So I never knew this before but apparently Hey Arnold! Takes place in Seattle not New York.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/hey-arnold-doesnt-take-place-in-brooklyn-wtf

That's impossible considering a big plot point in the movie is that Arnold's neighborhood was the site of an important protest as part of the prelude to the American Revolution.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cattail Prophet posted:

The real question here is why Luz doesn't just get her own drat library card.

She's a known associate of the Owl Lady, known late book returner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funky Valentine posted:

That's impossible considering a big plot point in the movie is that Arnold's neighborhood was the site of an important protest as part of the prelude to the American Revolution.

As I said, pretty sure it's not meant to be any one specific location, and the article is a very shallow look that's not taking into account the creators' own words on the topic.

On the Owl House notes; I feel like a theme with Amity's siblings is that they've come to like Luz, and seem impressed by Luz being able to stand up for herself and cause entertaining kinds of trouble. They seem to have a measure of respect for Eda too, which probably helps. They're a couple of troublemakers, which I feel is probably an extension of how they deal with their parents; they know how to present the appearance of obedience and just do whatever they want when no one's looking.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 11, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It got some not great looking dolls. Like, ostensibly they’re ok, but the faces are really off-putting.

I believe there were also a handful of comics as well (some with their own unique stories). Come to think of it, why did SPoP get so little merch compared to every other entry in the franchise (including its 80’s counterpart I believe)?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Netflix really hate doing merch for its shows for some reason (Stranger Things being the exception).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Netflix really hate doing merch for its shows for some reason (Stranger Things being the exception).

Then again, the new He-Man shows will also be on Netflix and they already seem to have a bit of merchandise lined up (plus this franchise has always been a giant toy commercial so you’d think Mattel would have wanted to promote it). Who knows

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From what I've gathered, toy commercial cartoons aren't really a thing anymore, besides like, My Little Pony and Transformers, and I suspect even those are more out of grandfather clause. Or at least, the ones that are tend to be aimed at much younger audiences than the tween/adolescent target audience of She-Ra and such, and more merchandise tends to be based on well established multimedia franchises with multiple demographics in play. (Star Wars, Batman, Pokemon)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, 80s She-Ra (and He-Man) existed to sell toys primarily. Modern She-Ra exists to sell Netflix subscriptions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess after the wave of 80s cartoons that proved that there was a market for high budget cartoons (or at least higher budget than what came before), that opened the way for cartoons that had the production values without necessarily having a premade product line, and then it became exponentially harder for toy commercial shows to gain traction against the competition. So now I guess companies are a lot less willing to gamble on a new product or show by doing multimedia integration right out the gate, and now toylines and shows have to prove themselves first before getting broadened as a franchise. I guess there's less reason to gamble big on debuting both at once since shows are more actively acknowledging older audiences so there's less worry of a show "missing" the window for its target demographic being into it, and when merch comes out late, kids who haven't seen the original source material can just find it on streaming.

Although merchandise can still carry franchises. I think that's the main source of Ben10's inertia, or the thing keeping the Despicable Me or Cars series going. And it's probably still the main driver behind a lot of classic franchises still going like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers, although there is some aspect of older fans wanting to consume the newer media or even older fans spearheading franchise revival attempts as a sort of passion project.

There are still movies and shows being made out of newer products that were toys first, but I think they tend to be lower-scale and more easily lost in the forest of media out there. And it's harder to notice if it's happening with a toyline that you've never heard of.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Everyone posted:

Question: What would you remove from the previous two episodes to make room for some kind of scene/montage of Luz swooning over Amity in front of Gus and Willow? We know what happened towards the end of S2Ep2. We know what Luz is like (stoic and poker-faced - not). We know she's back in school with Gus and Willow. It's not that hard to figure out. This show has a limited "time" budget. It's why you basically had two "A" plots crunched together. I think if Disney had given the show a hard commitment to 3-4 full seasons, things would have a little more room to breath. But this is the last full season plus a few "extra-length" episodes for Season Three and that's it.

I'm not arguing that their hands aren't tied by Disney forcing an unexpected time budget on them, just that the shift to "basically everyone knows that Luz has a big ol' crush on Amity" felt abrupt after not even so much as a passing mention about the events of 2x02 in the intervening two episodes. We know Luz's character by now and she wears everything on her sleeve. Even just a quick shot of her doodling about Amity on a notepad or one-off comment from King or Eda would've helped close that gap.

All that aside, even the immediate opening with Gus being super bummed about how useless he feels with illusion magic focus and getting Willow hurt felt abrupt and like I'd missed a minute or two of a preceding scene or something.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the Owl House notes; I feel like a theme with Amity's siblings is that they've come to like Luz, and seem impressed by Luz being able to stand up for herself and cause entertaining kinds of trouble. They seem to have a measure of respect for Eda too, which probably helps. They're a couple of troublemakers, which I feel is probably an extension of how they deal with their parents; they know how to present the appearance of obedience and just do whatever they want when no one's looking.

In addition to all that, they do love Amity and want what they think is best for her. Prior to Luz Amity was a little bit like an Abomination in terms of being almost programmed to focus on school/grades/achievement. Luz is bringing out different sides of Amity. So, it's not just that Amity's siblings like and admire Luz. They like her effect on Amity and think that Luz is very good for Amity.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah like this isn't some old cartoon where the siblings are all weirdly adversarial. Ed/Em may fool around but they love Amity.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

I'm not arguing that their hands aren't tied by Disney forcing an unexpected time budget on them, just that the shift to "basically everyone knows that Luz has a big ol' crush on Amity" felt abrupt after not even so much as a passing mention about the events of 2x02 in the intervening two episodes. We know Luz's character by now and she wears everything on her sleeve. Even just a quick shot of her doodling about Amity on a notepad or one-off comment from King or Eda would've helped close that gap.

All that aside, even the immediate opening with Gus being super bummed about how useless he feels with illusion magic focus and getting Willow hurt felt abrupt and like I'd missed a minute or two of a preceding scene or something.

Part of the problem is that the Luz/Amity stuff is kind of focused on the school. Then only time I recall Eda encountering Amity directly was in the "Understand Willow" episode (where Amity was the dumbass who deleted Willow's mind). The idea of Luz and Amity having a mutual crush probably doesn't even occur to Eda. Meanwhile, episodes 3 and 4 were completely focused away from school so there wasn't really much of an organic opportunity for what you mentioned.

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah like this isn't some old cartoon where the siblings are all weirdly adversarial. Ed/Em may fool around but they love Amity.

True. That also puts the Season One "Lost in Language" episode in a weird light. In that one Edric and Emira were going to find Amity's diary and post pages from it all over the school. Even though she didn't like Amity very much at that point, Luz very much opposed them because... well, it was pretty awful thing to do to Amity.

Viewed through the lens that they do love Amity and care about her, Edric and Emira trying to do that comes off more as a kind of desperation because they were running out of ideas about how to shake their sister loose from their mother's pressuring control.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Everyone posted:

Part of the problem is that the Luz/Amity stuff is kind of focused on the school. Then only time I recall Eda encountering Amity directly was in the "Understand Willow" episode (where Amity was the dumbass who deleted Willow's mind). The idea of Luz and Amity having a mutual crush probably doesn't even occur to Eda. Meanwhile, episodes 3 and 4 were completely focused away from school so there wasn't really much of an organic opportunity for what you mentioned.

It doesn't need to be Eda specifically saying anything about Luz having a crush so much as just an off-hand "you're being extra-weird lately"-esque comment, but maybe in this scenario Lillith would've been best positioned to notice anything. She knows Amity - and probably the whole Blight family - from her time with the Emperor's Coven. Regardless, these are just potential ideas and I don't think it'd be all that arduous to take a couple seconds of non-focus episodes to continue what are clearly intended to be long-running narrative/character arcs, even if it's strictly visual and not elaborated on in the moment.

That said, it feels a little weird at this point how mostly separated the Hexside kids and Owl House folks still are from each other, considering how important both are to Luz's journey.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Amity's siblings are pretty adorable, I love that they are kind of the audience stand ins for Luz and Amity's relationship. Loved in the latest episode where Amity goes for the kiss and the twins are watching from the upper window being all "Woah, bold move. Nice!"

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

xeria posted:

It doesn't need to be Eda specifically saying anything about Luz having a crush so much as just an off-hand "you're being extra-weird lately"-esque comment, but maybe in this scenario Lillith would've been best positioned to notice anything. She knows Amity - and probably the whole Blight family - from her time with the Emperor's Coven. Regardless, these are just potential ideas and I don't think it'd be all that arduous to take a couple seconds of non-focus episodes to continue what are clearly intended to be long-running narrative/character arcs, even if it's strictly visual and not elaborated on in the moment.

That said, it feels a little weird at this point how mostly separated the Hexside kids and Owl House folks still are from each other, considering how important both are to Luz's journey.

I think that gets into a little bit of the difficulties the show had in the first season with the over-arching metaplot: It did a really good job of setting up Amity's developing feelings for Luz, but didn't really tie that into the first season's main myth arc. This led to us getting a lot of focus on Amity and Luz interacting with each other and developing a rapport, but in a way that didn't tie into the plot threads that became important for the first season's finale and, presumably, the larger myth arc of the story, I think the writers have improved one their longform storytelling thus far with the second season, but are still running into the problem that their core emotional arc (Luz and Amity's romance) is separate from their core narrative arc (Emperor Belos, the door and Eda's past) and I don't think they have the luxury of enough episodes to keep exploring these as separate plot threads and need to find a way to tie Luz and Amity's romance into the myth arc more directly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
...do you guys know about the concept of skipping over stuff and then having that referred to later on?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While I imagine if they had more time you'd see more of those things shown onscreen and fleshed out, it is a funny note that adventures and trials are basically routine to Luz now. Kinda like how in later Gravity Falls the twins have been having adventures and solving mysteries offscreen since they've gotten pretty good at it.

Though I'd like to see more of Luz in magic school and actually seeing what she can learn and apply from it with her glyph magic. I think it's really underrated when characters openly experiment and talk about how magic and powers work, theorycrafting and working out mechanics to apply in unusual ways, and they've been just consistent enough with how witch magic works to have a few rules about it. Fun to see that Illusion magic is loving broken if you know how to apply it, even if despite some previous indications it doesn't have any physical effects. Also first case we've seen, I think, of Luz outright giving a bunch of pre-drawn glyphs to someone else, which apparently can be activated by anyone.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

Amity's siblings are pretty adorable, I love that they are kind of the audience stand ins for Luz and Amity's relationship. Loved in the latest episode where Amity goes for the kiss and the twins are watching from the upper window being all "Woah, bold move. Nice!"

You know, in all the discussion I forgot to post my reaction to the kiss

SSSSSSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am a 52 year old man that this show is turning into a 12 year old girl. Stop me before I read Twilight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure anything glossed over will be explained in the light novel.

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1413656123127877633?s=19

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KingKalamari posted:

I think that gets into a little bit of the difficulties the show had in the first season with the over-arching metaplot: It did a really good job of setting up Amity's developing feelings for Luz, but didn't really tie that into the first season's main myth arc. This led to us getting a lot of focus on Amity and Luz interacting with each other and developing a rapport, but in a way that didn't tie into the plot threads that became important for the first season's finale and, presumably, the larger myth arc of the story, I think the writers have improved one their longform storytelling thus far with the second season, but are still running into the problem that their core emotional arc (Luz and Amity's romance) is separate from their core narrative arc (Emperor Belos, the door and Eda's past) and I don't think they have the luxury of enough episodes to keep exploring these as separate plot threads and need to find a way to tie Luz and Amity's romance into the myth arc more directly.

I'm not sure if Luz/Amity is the emotional core of the show so much as part of it. When we first meet Luz on Earth at the beginning, she's the goofy screw-up girl with no (apparent) friends or positive relationships outside of her mother. Since coming to the Boiling Isles she's learned new skills, gained friends and a mentor/mother-figure and is on the verging of getting an actual girlfriend in Amity (once they both acknowledge the obvious).

I think the real conflict for Luz isn't Belos, the door, Eda and King's past so much as in which world does Luz want to live?

One aspect of the Luz clone that could add into that with Luz considering that since her mother has a "better" version of her she should let that version stay

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thinking about it, Owl House is technically isekai.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mraagvpeine posted:

Insert jokes here about being amazed about Tokyopop still existing in TYOOL 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ehhh. If you mean in the sense of both story types being Portal Fantasy, yeah -- but in the way you're using the term, no.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

Huh, usually it's the light novel that gets turned into an anime, not the other way around

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Huh, usually it's the light novel that gets turned into an anime, not the other way around

However it comes, I'll take more Owl House.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ehhh. If you mean in the sense of both story types being Portal Fantasy, yeah -- but in the way you're using the term, no.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I imagine if they had more time you'd see more of those things shown onscreen and fleshed out, it is a funny note that adventures and trials are basically routine to Luz now. Kinda like how in later Gravity Falls the twins have been having adventures and solving mysteries offscreen since they've gotten pretty good at it.

Though I'd like to see more of Luz in magic school and actually seeing what she can learn and apply from it with her glyph magic. I think it's really underrated when characters openly experiment and talk about how magic and powers work, theorycrafting and working out mechanics to apply in unusual ways, and they've been just consistent enough with how witch magic works to have a few rules about it. Fun to see that Illusion magic is loving broken if you know how to apply it, even if despite some previous indications it doesn't have any physical effects. Also first case we've seen, I think, of Luz outright giving a bunch of pre-drawn glyphs to someone else, which apparently can be activated by anyone.

I feel like what we have learned about illusions in this episode actually... if it does not contradict what has been established beforehand, it sure casts it in a new light.

For example, when Gus and Willow tried to fight the basilisk, and Gus gave Willow's carnivorous plant huge buff arms... well, if that was an insubstantial illusion, what was he hoping to accomplish? Psyche the basilisk out?
"I wasn't worried about the carnivorous plant, but now that it's got giant arms? MAN, now I'm scared!"

And from the detention episode, how is Gus' illusion taking notes for him if it cannot influence the world?

And from that same episode, what's with that one student that made his face all smooth (the one that tried their hand at illusions after Em made her legs long and Ed gave himself a fancy makeover, when Gus is showing Luz around the school) and then appeared to really couldn't breathe? Did they trick themselves into thinking they really couldn't breathe? Did they accidentally craft an illusion so good, they tricked themselves???

(The real answer, in all likelihood, is "the rules for magic hadn't been established yet so the writers just did whatever" or even more likely "this isn't the kind of show that cares about these minutiae", but still, it was noticeable to me, and I don't usually notice these things.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 12, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

paradoxGentleman posted:

And from the detention episode, how is Gus' illusion taking notes for him if it cannot influence the world?

That ohne is actually quite obvious.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

My Mom Sent Me To Summer Camp And Now I'm In Love With Katara From Avatar The Last Airbender?!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I'm not persuaded by a redditor who can't pluralise, but surely the complete lack of trucks proves my point?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Electric Phantasm posted:

Amphibia too, actually. And they’re doing a crossover in table read form…

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

My Mom Sent Me To Summer Camp And Now I'm In Love With Katara From Avatar The Last Airbender?!

My Surrogate Mom is a Cursed Witch Who Sells Junk?!

Trapped in Another World With a Talking House

My Little King of Demons Can't Be This Cute

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh, apparently Monsters At Work has started up? The first episode was decent enough I suppose, but nothing spectacular. The premise of "What does transitioning your entire energy industry to a new power source actually look like in practice?" is incredibly relevant, but it doesn't seem like the show is very interested in meaningfully engaging with the issue long term. It's going for much more of a standard wacky hijinks workplace sitcom sort of tone. Who knows though, maybe it'll surprise me.

Side note: I'd never actually considered interpreting scare energy as a stand in for fossil fuels before and now I feel kind of stupid for having missed it all these years.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Oh, apparently Monsters At Work has started up? The first episode was decent enough I suppose, but nothing spectacular. The premise of "What does transitioning your entire energy industry to a new power source actually look like in practice?" is incredibly relevant, but it doesn't seem like the show is very interested in meaningfully engaging with the issue long term. It's going for much more of a standard wacky hijinks workplace sitcom sort of tone. Who knows though, maybe it'll surprise me.

Side note: I'd never actually considered interpreting scare energy as a stand in for fossil fuels before and now I feel kind of stupid for having missed it all these years.

Wow, you really missed Waternoose's breakdown in the original movie didn't you. How did it go again? Oh yeah. "I'll kill a thousand dinosaurs before I see my company die!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, you really missed Waternoose's breakdown in the original movie didn't you. How did it go again? Oh yeah. "I'll kill a thousand dinosaurs before I see my company die!"
Who among us would not take the chance to kill a thousand dinosaurs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not persuaded by a redditor who can't pluralise, but surely the complete lack of trucks proves my point?
Pre-2008 global economic collapse isekai series are quite different from post-2008 global economic collapse isekai series but they're both isekai

The Owl House is an isekai. The Last Starfigher is an isekai. That show you like is an isekai.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The isekai classification's only arisen pretty recently, though, right? And it typically describes works with extremely familiar, almost rigid genre tropes rather than stuff that's analogous to the entire history of portal fantasy. Almost without exception, characters are transplanted into a virtual or fantastical world that is rigidly adherent to the common mores of its genre (whether that genre is fantasy, romance, martial arts, etc.) where they then attempt to thrive.

It's important to the genre that the isekai world characters are thrown into is immediately recognisable to the audience, in fact that it draws explicitly on genre cliches, so that minimal setting-building or exposition needs to occur. The character being intuitively familiar with the mores of the setting isn't necessary, but does often follow from that requirement.

I'm pretty sure "isekai" has only been used to describe things dating back to the late 2000s, and almost exclusively the things it describes meet that description. Arguably it's a sub-genre of portal fantasy, where the breadth of theme is often much wider and settings are often much more textured, or bizarre.

The Owl House possibly is an isekai by this qualification though, yeah, because its cliched genre world where the tropes are immediately recognisable to the audience is "Harry Potter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Android Blues posted:

The isekai classification's only arisen pretty recently, though, right? And it typically describes works with extremely familiar, almost rigid genre tropes rather than stuff that's analogous to the entire history of portal fantasy. Almost without exception, characters are transplanted into a virtual or fantastical world that is rigidly adherent to the common mores of its genre (whether that genre is fantasy, romance, martial arts, etc.) where they then attempt to thrive.

It's important to the genre that the isekai world characters are thrown into is immediately recognisable to the audience, in fact that it draws explicitly on genre cliches, so that minimal setting-building or exposition needs to occur. The character being intuitively familiar with the mores of the setting isn't necessary, but does often follow from that requirement.

I'm pretty sure "isekai" has only been used to describe things dating back to the late 2000s, and almost exclusively the things it describes meet that description. Arguably it's a sub-genre of portal fantasy, where the breadth of theme is often much wider and settings are often much more textured, or bizarre.

The Owl House possibly is an isekai by this qualification though, yeah, because its cliched genre world where the tropes are immediately recognisable to the audience is "Harry Potter".

Yeah, I think this summarizes my own thoughts given what I know about the term and its distinction from broader portal fantasy. If isekai is a broad enough concept that it can be applied to all portal fantasy, there's not really much need for it to exist as a term on its own.