Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've only got the bird and the monkey, though. How do you get other forms?
Play the game till you get a brute spirit.
Or restart, but that's less than ideal.

I didn't know the other types had different burst counters until I already played about two thirds through the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If you're having trouble with countering burst attacks with the dash from feral, it might be because it is unintuitive - for that counter to work, you want to collide with the enemy's WEAPON SWING while you are dashing, not dash around or away from it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I think Feral is easiest counter to execute if you are looking at the entire game. Especially if you use the cat spirit animal with extended duration.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Captainicus posted:

If you're having trouble with countering burst attacks with the dash from feral, it might be because it is unintuitive - for that counter to work, you want to collide with the enemy's WEAPON SWING while you are dashing, not dash around or away from it.

I kinda figured as much from the description, but I was under the impression you just had to dash into them at some point during their attack animation (since it mentions the afterimage rather than you having to come into contact with them), but after failing that numerous times it seems the window is tighter than that. I keep ramming them before their hit would actually connect, and then I am the one who gets wrecked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brute has been easier to connect for me but I always seemed to get hit and lose some health no matter what. Feral tales a bit of timing but has been more consistent. Haven't tried phantom lol

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Does Nioh 2 force you into NG+ or can I go farm some smithing text after defeating Otakemaru?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Calidus posted:

Does Nioh 2 force you into NG+ or can I go farm some smithing text after defeating Otakemaru?

Much like in the first game you can switch back and forth between all the NG+ levels and NG at will.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've used all the counters a fair amount but stuck with phantom all the way through my last playthrough and ended up liking it a lot. "Just press the button right before you get hit" is pretty simple and reliable. Feral is easier for a couple of bosses (like Azai), and there is at least one boss that can only be countered by actually hitting them with brute.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I kinda figured as much from the description, but I was under the impression you just had to dash into them at some point during their attack animation (since it mentions the afterimage rather than you having to come into contact with them), but after failing that numerous times it seems the window is tighter than that. I keep ramming them before their hit would actually connect, and then I am the one who gets wrecked.

Yeah the description isn’t very complete and while it is true that you leave an afterimage that will also trigger the counter if it gets hit, the afterimage is very short-lived. the other tricky part is that the game’s hitboxes are so extremely accurate that it’s entirely possible to have an attack miss you by a millimeter and not hit you during the feral counter.

As a magic character I’ve been phantom basically the whole game and while I initially wished I had brute, now I don’t think I could use it. even with how hard it is to internalize the phantom timing due to how many sloth and lightning debuffs I throw out.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can someone give me the idiot explanation of how Soul Forge works in Nioh 1? Whenever I try to upgrade a weapon using a higher level weapon, the resulting stats are worse. I know it doesn't matter much since I'm in the early game and will be upgrading weapons often, but I'd like to get an idea of how it works anyways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the reason you're probably seeing the damage go down is because soul matching drops the familiarity of the weapon to 0, so you're losing the damage bonus from that. You'll have more damage in the end once you get the familiarity back up again.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Node posted:

Can someone give me the idiot explanation of how Soul Forge works in Nioh 1? Whenever I try to upgrade a weapon using a higher level weapon, the resulting stats are worse. I know it doesn't matter much since I'm in the early game and will be upgrading weapons often, but I'd like to get an idea of how it works anyways.

Soul matching raises the level of an item by using a different, higher level material item. If the material item is at max familiarity, then it will also pass along an inheritable skill. Inheritable skills are indicated by an icon that looks like two upright rectangles with an arrow pointing right between them. The inheritable skill will not be inherited if there is a conflict with another skill on the weapon, which is a whole thing of its own that you don't need to worry about until you are seriously forging. Soul matching will not increase the rarity of an item unless the inheritable skill is the one that causes rarity to be inherited. You can use items of different rarities to raise level, and it costs more to do so if you are raising the level of a higher rarity item with a lower rarity item.

When you get to the end of the campaign, a new rarity called Divine will become available. It is bright green. Although plus values (e.g, level 150+1) can be found very rarely on lower rarity items, they don't seriously start dropping until you get to divine items. An item with a plus value can have that plus value raised if the material item has the same plus value or higher. For example, 150+1 into 150 will result in a 150+1 item. Similarly, a 150+4 item into a 150+4 item will result in a 150+5 item. Although this means that as you amass tons of low +value items, you can roll them all up in exponential amounts for 1 point of value, I advise against this. Not because it doesn't work, or is too expensive, but because it is a massive waste of your time compared to just advancing through the game.

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING NIOH 1 SPECIFICALLY

In Nioh 1, the cost of soul forging an item is based on how much it has already been soul matched. This cost can very quickly become prohibitive, so even though you might really like some item, you will eventually need to replace it because you can't afford to keep upgrading it. There is a way around this, but it is annoying as gently caress. In the highest rarities of the game, items can drop that have star skills, and these are skills with a little star next to them. These skills will either be exceptionally high values of regular skills you've already seen, or they'll do some crazy poo poo that isn't represented as just value adjustments on your character. They are rare, although items can drop with multiple star skills, so you're expected to get them. One of the skills you can get sometimes is soul matching cost reduction, which reduces the cost of soul matching when you use that item as the material. The star skill version of this resets the soul matching counter when it's used as a material. That is the only way around the exploding costs of trying to upgrade the same weapon forever. In Nioh 2, they do not increase the cost of soul matching based on the soul matching history of the base item, so this is not at all a problem.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Speaking of, I haven't used soul matching at all yet in Nioh 2 because the coin cost is insane and it's hard to get a good grasp for how much the damage actually changes. But this is the early game still, so I don't really have to forge anything to advance... still, it means there barely seems to be any use for coins at all right now?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Speaking of, I haven't used soul matching at all yet in Nioh 2 because the coin cost is insane and it's hard to get a good grasp for how much the damage actually changes. But this is the early game still, so I don't really have to forge anything to advance... still, it means there barely seems to be any use for coins at all right now?

Yeah money is basically useless for most of the game before NG+
You can buy stuff at the shop but this isn't really necessary because you find everything you need out in the wild. I don't think I was ever using money in both Nioh and Nioh 2 until I reached NG+

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought like 999 arrows and rifle rounds so I'd never run out

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I bought like 999 arrows and rifle rounds so I'd never run out

This and I set elixirs and stuff to autobuy with rice though I haven't had to actually do it in forever

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I got a brute spirit, tried it, immediately went back to the feral one. The dash may be awkward and unintuitive but I missed having it too much. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 14, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I got a brute spirit, tried it, immediately went back to the feral one. The dash may be awkward and unintuitive but I missed having it too much. :v:

Brute really comes around when you can get a build that supports it

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

signalnoise posted:

Brute really comes around when you can get a build that supports it

I really wish there was a better knowledge repository that wasn't the subreddit/loving fextralife. I know the ability to target builds is somewhat limited by the D3 loot system/getting the right star skills but it would be nice to have a clean quick reference at one's fingertips.

says guy who's cleared through depths 18

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Navaash posted:

I really wish there was a better knowledge repository that wasn't the subreddit/loving fextralife. I know the ability to target builds is somewhat limited by the D3 loot system/getting the right star skills but it would be nice to have a clean quick reference at one's fingertips.

says guy who's cleared through depths 18

The best knowledge repository is asking the thread IMO

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I hate this snake boss with snakes for arms with my life. I was enjoying this game until the like fortieth time I had to book it past a snake with boobs to try to fight a snake with snake arms again

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
On the topic of the lack of information, it really shows just how less popular this is in comparison to the Souls Franchise, and i find it ironic considering Tecmo were one of the pioneers of ball crushing bullshit difficulty games.

After finishing the game i decided to look up a video and this guy named JumpinProductions showcased a Switchglaive build that is great for nearly all difficulties, and I blasted through the game and finished Eye of the Beholder on Way of the Nioh with some help.

At this point I'm hunting down these fabled endgame builds and I'm having trouble finding super clear information on that too.

I went from the Grace of Water God to Grace of the War God (Susano), and i'm not really feeling all powerful at the moment. I'm thinking of switching to Izanagi and just purifying everything. Anybody here running around with endgame builds?

Karma Tornado posted:

I hate this snake boss with snakes for arms with my life. I was enjoying this game until the like fortieth time I had to book it past a snake with boobs to try to fight a snake with snake arms again

I recommend fighting a few graves to get Ochoko Cups and then use it to summon players that can help you. There are people out there roaring and ready to turn the demons you hate into mince meat

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 15, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
We will carry you and do the kodama dance

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nioh: I had to book it past a snake with boobs to try to fight a snake with snake arms

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

That Boss is probably the one that gave me the most trouble on my first playthrough. Which is weird because it's still in the first region.

If you have an Ippon Datara Soul core you can try using that it drains enemy Ki a lot and does respectable damage so it's decent for getting back out of the Yokai realm. It's one of the few Yokai skills I actually used a little bit of here and there when I first played through the game. It really helped me out in this fight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My only actual tip, since you don't have a lot of options at that point, is to try and kill the snake arms as quickly as possible so you dont have to deal with them being autonomous when it goes into dark realm mode.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I have carried all kinds of people these last few weeks and it’s been fun, for me. Not the enemies though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

My tip is to not die and instead kill the boss (Mezuki soul core does a good job of almost killing the lil snakes).

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Ren Hayabusa took the virtuous samurai I was and transformed me into the savage, cheap, pragmatic murder hobo I am today. Farming all the goodies out of that dude stripped me of honor and left in its place only a quivering magic-infused ball of angry meat wearing a kodama bowl that only knows how to Relentless Charge and mercilessly crush the Ki out of ninjas. I just wanted your armor's smithing text dude, why you gotta drop that last out of every single drop you can drop?!

Anyway, now that I'm all high on Dragon Ninja juice to power my fist/katana/ninjitsu thing I've got going on, it's time to figure out some new goals to set. Right now I've got most of my non-dragon ninja related slots filled with either +Life 2pc bits or Golden Boy items for that lightning damage side hustle. Any better recommendations for something to aim for?

Also, I remember in Nioh 1 being assisted by a couple people running Comically Huge Ninja Bomb build and it seemed stupid and magical and I kind of want to do it. Is there any particular thing to pursue to to Wile E Coyote bomb idiocy or is it just as simple as farming/tempering for +Bomb dmg and +Ninjitsu?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Karma Tornado posted:

I fought this boss like 40 times just now, too. What finally made it work for me was a couple things. 1) Bring a weapon with some decent range - I used regular swords in high stance - to cut off the snake arms. I'd been using dual swords up until that point and they were just not hitting those arms at all. 2) Almost everything can be blocked very profitably. 3) Learn the tell for the grapple attack, which can't be blocked. 4) The red flash attack can't be countered once it's on the ground. You gotta hit it while it's rearing up. Learned that one the hard way. When in dark realm mode, it might be easier to just hang back and score cheap hits when you can, but it gets a lot harder to both parry and attack with the dark realm sapping your ki so much. Also, bring purification talismans.

edit: Unrelated sidenote: When the ingame bestiary showed you Yoshitatsu, my reaction totally wasn't I mean that's obviously me in bulky armor, we're twins aren't we. :geno:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 15, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it’s definitely weird how bad the fan documentation for this game is. There’s a few good resources like the build bible and smithing text list, but basically nothing I could find with hard numbers on how onmyo proficiency scales each spell, etc. it seems like everyone just finds their own way through the game past NG.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yeah I got as far as way of the wise in the first one with no real build years ago, and fast forward to finishing Nioh 2 in Nioh Mode, I'm in the same position I was years ago where i am being showered in Ethereals, there is so much potential for builds, but I genuinely don't know where to start, other than looking up videos.

Always seem to be short on the right Grace when I find what I need.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

My "build" is just punching people. I'll see how far I can get with that. I'm in Dream of the Demon now and it seems all right. I still gotta wrap the DLC on Dream of the Strong, though, so I can go back to that if I ever feel like something that's a little easier to avoid getting burned out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

One thing I don't get is, what determines how long you spend just lying flat on your back after a grapple? Mashing buttons doesn't seem to do anything and I've gotten killed from 100% several times now off a grapple because my character just lies there like a chump and eats several followup attacks. I get it, dodge the grapple, but the question remains.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went back to do the Viper Pit again because I missed a kodama and wanted the 'kill the boss without destroying the snake statues' trophy and he was still a pain almost 100 levels later lol

Like I didn't die or anything he's just annoying.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The last boss was kinda cool but not as difficult as I expected. It me two attempts and I should have had him on the first. I was 12 con, 75 heart, 25, dex, 25 magic. Buff the crap out of character, stay in mid stance and chop.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Activating a season pass on a PS5 is an pain in the rear end.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So is this blob in the water that shoots lasers that do 3,000 damage to me an optional superboss or something

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Node posted:

So is this blob in the water that shoots lasers that do 3,000 damage to me an optional superboss or something

You act like a "dodge correctly or be immediately erased from creation" is an unreasonable expectation somehow!

But seriously it just exists to teach you that the sea is made of hate and crabs are its heralds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Node posted:

It's really no harder to deal with than like, a shmup or platformer boss that has a bigass laser and points where it's going to shoot so you have time to get away, but the difficulty is in the presentation. In a shmup or platformer, you can see the whole field, but in Nioh you have to be pointing the camera at the boss to seem them, of course.

How to fight that guy:

Lock your camera on him and make sure you're actually paying attention to those lasers. Don't be afraid to get up in his face because you can't fall off the stage through him, i.e., if you can hit him on the side of the dock, you won't fall off. If you're not right up in his face, and you see a big shiny orb start moving up through his body and into an arm, flick your right stick toward the orb so your camera focuses on the arm that is about to take a swing at you. That orb is the tell, and if you dodge it, you have some time to hit it. Just like the smaller water blobs on land, that orb is the weak spot and dodging is how to make that weak spot accessible.

He's also weak to fire, but you knew that because you went to the shrines around the zone to make sure the bonfires lit up in the boss area. Because you knew that's what it did, of course. And you knew that walking up to them and using the bonfires lights your weapon up like a fire talisman. And you totally knew that the thing made of water would be weak to fire. Of course you did, this is all stuff that everyone knows.