Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hasturtium posted:

I actually thought about mentioning Juggernaut but refrained because I thought it was just too lovely to feel like anything but a cheap shot. If memory serves, that was actually the TC that got id’s attention and compelled them to push an update to its commercial terms that stopped it from being updated to support newer versions of the executable. There aren’t really words for how awful it was as a shipping product. I’d be surprised if even someone like Civvie bothered to make a video about it - Juggernaut makes Witchaven look like consummate game design.

See you say that and now I really want to see Civvie play it and tear it a new one verbally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As funny as Civvie's videos are, I do kinda question his taste/judgement at times. Like, he played Hexen on max default difficulty setting (ie, the one meant to be Nightmare-comparable) and spent a lot of time complaining about how unfarly hard things are. No poo poo! That, and a few offhand comments about Manhattan Project etc makes me think that maybe I'd take what he says about things outside of build engine games with a bit of salt.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Civvie owns and i am so goddamn pumped for the Cruelty Squad video

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Serephina posted:

As funny as Civvie's videos are, I do kinda question his taste/judgement at times. Like, he played Hexen on max default difficulty setting (ie, the one meant to be Nightmare-comparable) and spent a lot of time complaining about how unfarly hard things are. No poo poo! That, and a few offhand comments about Manhattan Project etc makes me think that maybe I'd take what he says about things outside of build engine games with a bit of salt.

To be fair, it's not like he jumped into Hexen for the first time at the hardest difficulty without knowing what to expect. He didn't think he needed to give the game a fair shake because he'd already played through it several times on various difficulties and knew exactly what kind of bullshit the game pulled and how much he hated it. The video was just him seeing how far the game would go.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hexen sucks rear end tbh but the weapons atmosphere and monsters all own so hard

Why has no one made The Warrior's fist attack into Doom Guy's fist attack???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the difficulty level had nothing to do with hexen's maps sucking poo poo and the dumb decision to split up the arsenal so thinly for basically no actual benefit other than a half-baked attempt to make it 'class-based'. i'm sorry.

heretic's balance is all out of whack but at least it plays like a relatively normal shooter in comparison and you're not literally hitting 50 separate switches that say '1/4th of something happened but we're not going to tell you what or where'

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Serephina posted:

Like I said a bit ago he does needlessly punish himself by playing on the hardest difficulties and a lot of his videos would probably be better if he just stuck to normal or hard rather than going for the highest ones, but I don't think it's really a problem with his taste or judgement and more that he's probably worried about upsetting his audience by not doing the hardest ones on the videos for the bigger name games

Johnny Joestar posted:

the difficulty level had nothing to do with hexen's maps sucking poo poo and the dumb decision to split up the arsenal so thinly for basically no actual benefit other than a half-baked attempt to make it 'class-based'. i'm sorry.

heretic's balance is all out of whack but at least it plays like a relatively normal shooter in comparison and you're not literally hitting 50 separate switches that say '1/4th of something happened but we're not going to tell you what or where'

Has anyone done a mod sticking all the Hexen assets(and merging the three arsenals together) onto Heretic's maps cause that would probably have some fun results

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Speaking of Heretic...

I played through four of the five episodes earlier. Ep1 is mostly dull, but the level-design gets better in Ep3* and especially Ep4. Unfortunately, almost all of the enemies are bullet-sponges. The Necromancer gloves are cool-looking, but never see any actual use. Corvus struggles with 1 on 1 melee fights, never mind the near-constant crowds of monsters that are bound to show up. Also, there are four weapons that are practically the same thing. The only reason you'd even use them is if you're trying to conserve your Hellstaff & Phoenix Staff ammo. At least the crossbow is pretty solid.

Honestly, Heretic gets much more interesting when I don't try to kill everything. Out-maneuvering foes to grab keys & power-ups is fun. It's especially gratifying when they start fighting each other. Hopefully Ep5 ends the game on a high note.

I don't know if I'll even bother with Hexen. I played to the first hub, saw a dozen switches placed next to each other, and thought I was being subjected to a cruel prank. The class-based system seems really pointless. It's like, what's the point of choosing any class besides the one that kills enemies the fastest & takes the least damage?

*Well, I kinda hate E3M4 (Azure Fortress)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

The class-based system seems really pointless. It's like, what's the point of choosing any class besides the one that kills enemies the fastest & takes the least damage?

Co-op.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I'm pretty sure Opposing Force isn't canon so now I'm wondering why there hasn't been a mod project that takes place during HL2 where resistance members go back to the wrecked, overgrown, Xen infested ruins of Black Mesa in a survival horror type setting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
OpFor is 100% canon wtf???

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Where did you see that it isn't cannon? :thunk:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

I don't know if I'll even bother with Hexen. I played to the first hub, saw a dozen switches placed next to each other, and thought I was being subjected to a cruel prank. The class-based system seems really pointless. It's like, what's the point of choosing any class besides the one that kills enemies the fastest & takes the least damage?

Not sure which you're implying does that, exactly. Also different classes get different weapons, with the warrior having to wait until his third out of four weapons until he gets a ranged attack, and so forth.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I'm pretty sure Opposing Force isn't canon so now I'm wondering why there hasn't been a mod project that takes place during HL2 where resistance members go back to the wrecked, overgrown, Xen infested ruins of Black Mesa in a survival horror type setting.

verbal enema posted:

OpFor is 100% canon wtf???
Valve never seem to get involved in canon debates because that's a thing for fans to squabble over and they'll happily retcon stuff if it gets in the way ("Canon itself is non-canon"). About the closest to an official statement on OpFor that's ever been made was some email comment from former series lead writer Marc Laidlaw many many years ago that he didn't really take the Gearbox games into account in his writing, but that he'd happily pull elements from them if he could think of an entertaining way to incorporate them. So I guess their official status is "nebulous".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

Playing on the highest difficulty and then complaining about it is a time honored goon tradition

Didn’t he do the same thing with Rise of the Triad, where all the enemies turn into ridiculous bullet sponges?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Squeezy Farm posted:

I'm pretty sure packaged copy that runs on steam is available in moddb. It's basically abandinware at this point

Yeah it is, I played through it a couple years ago, pretty good game
https://www.moddb.com/games/gunman-chronicles/downloads/gunman-chronicles-steam-version

A lot of the art was made with clay, lots of pictures on the valve archive

https://valvearchive.com/archive/3rd%20Party%20Developers/Rewolf%20Software/Gunman%20Chronicles/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm struggling to see a distinction between "non-canon" and "Valve has never, and likely will never, directly reference the events of the Gearbox content but maybe conceivably one day there's an infinitesimal chance they could throw Adrian Shepard in somewhere, if they really felt like it".

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Jeez sorry. Lemme fix that.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So ignoring the end of Opposing Force where G-Man nukes Black Mesa, I'm wondering why there hasn't been a mod project that takes place during HL2 where resistance members go back to the wrecked, overgrown, Xen infested ruins of Black Mesa in a survival horror type setting.

It would be cool. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat even Gearbox's one good game can't get no respect.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Groovelord Neato posted:

drat even Gearbox's one good game can't get no respect.

Don't people like the Brothers in Arms games? That's Randyspawn right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's no Battleborn.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's a lot of people saying "why didn't Civvie play on an easier difficulty". Strong reactions get clicks. It's the YouTube game. Civvie isn't a serious game reviewer, he's an entertainer and people watch him to see him do jokes and some light AVGN stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Glagha posted:

There's a lot of people saying "why didn't Civvie play on an easier difficulty". Strong reactions get clicks. It's the YouTube game. Civvie isn't a serious game reviewer, he's an entertainer and people watch him to see him do jokes and some light AVGN stuff.

piss dick gently caress balls

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Speaking of difficulty I beat DN3D on Come Get Some for the first time since it came out. Jesus christ that game is hard. People have done this entirely on the keyboard???

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

John Murdoch posted:

I'm struggling to see a distinction between "non-canon" and "Valve has never, and likely will never, directly reference the events of the Gearbox content but maybe conceivably one day there's an infinitesimal chance they could throw Adrian Shepard in somewhere, if they really felt like it".

Not referencing OpFor is one thing, actively contradicting it is another, and its status as canon determines whether they'd be willing to do that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Considering there will never be another half-life game I'm not sure where the concern for opfor being kicked out of canon is coming from

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

site posted:

Considering there will never be another half-life game I'm not sure where the concern for opfor being kicked out of canon is coming from

I mean, I don't think Valve really gives a poo poo about canon in any serious capacity, but they also dropped Alyx out of the blue, so I don't think it's fair to say we'll never get another game. The property itself is just only useful to them as a canvas to try out new tech and gameplay ideas, story is secondary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Perhaps it will be clearer if i say there will never be a half-life 3 instead

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I really can't believe that we haven't got a new BiA yet, I know we nearly got one inspired by Inglourious Basterds or something but it seemed to fizzle out in pre-dev.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
half-life 2. half-life 2.5. half-life 2.75. half-life 2.875. half-life 2.9375. xeno's paradox

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fallom posted:

Playing on the highest difficulty and then complaining about it is a time honored goon tradition

Didn’t he do the same thing with Rise of the Triad, where all the enemies turn into ridiculous bullet sponges?

difficulty scaling is like the least of rott's problems

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

difficulty scaling is like the least of rott's problems

It’s 10x more miserable when the basic enemies take forever to kill

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AuLjixuYhU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

site posted:

it would mean massive rewrites on at least one half life evangelion crossover

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

It's no Battleborn.

Battleborn was actually pretty decent for what it was and it's a shame there's not really anything else to fill it's niche now that it's literally as dead as a game can possibly get

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There should be more hobby-grade games out there.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Deakul posted:

I really can't believe that we haven't got a new BiA yet, I know we nearly got one inspired by Inglourious Basterds or something but it seemed to fizzle out in pre-dev.

Aw gently caress that would have been cool. But also. Gearbox game. Sooooo. Hrmmmm.

haveblue posted:

half-life 2. half-life 2.5. half-life 2.75. half-life 2.875. half-life 2.9375. xeno's paradox

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Played through Life's End for HL1. I've always been a fan of the alternative perspective setup a lot of the SP mods take and this one is great. It has some funny interludes and the ending doesn't go at all where you'd expect.

My only real complaints are a few of the paths to key items were dark / difficult to find and at least one puzzle required you to find a pushable object a decent way back (and deal with the awful bushing physics to get it to your objective)

~2.5 hours playtime. Recommend checking out if you want a fun, quick dip back in to HL1.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deakul posted:

Isn't that the one that eventually mutated into Battleborn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

Perhaps it will be clearer if i say there will never be a half-life 3 instead

Half Life Alyx is the third major Half Life game. It directly follows the story of episode 2 (despite it being a "prequel") and it's game mechanics and design are built on the same core principles as the previous titles.

Valve were just scared of attaching the number 3 because of optics.