Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah, Dread, Slasher Flick and the new Alien RPG would be good picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Hostile V posted:

Yep, these are the correct recommendations, as they form a nice gradient you can pick from depending on how much crunch and how many sessions you want.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Would help to know what tone and mechanics you're shooting for - a DCC style bloodbath with a troupe of expendable characters? Something more like CoC where the characters are fragile, but can spend "luck" or other metagame resources to divert death?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I have an unrelated to CR question:

If you all wanted to run a game where the players were tourists at Jurassic Park/World when The poo poo Goes Down, and you didn't want to do it in PbtA, what system would you use?

Mr. Maltose posted:

I would absolutely say Dread would be perfect if you're leaning horror but that's very reliant on being physically in one place with a Jenga set and that's not really an option for most people these days.
It's too bad about the likely difficulties Mr. Maltose brings up because this was what I did a billion years ago for my family, which was directly inspired by Shrecknet's version of Jurassic Dread. Both of them leaned a little horror-comedy-ish, although of course that's not an automatic given and frankly I can imagine the tone wandering a lot depending on how good the players are at Jenga.\

edit:

mellonbread posted:

Would help to know what tone and mechanics you're shooting for - a DCC style bloodbath with a troupe of expendable characters? Something more like CoC where the characters are fragile, but can spend "luck" or other metagame resources to divert death?
This would also be important yeah. Like, what Jurassic Park are we talking here? The original film, with a small cast of humans and dinosaurs and a lot of tension but a low body count and the humans having almost nothing that can hurt the animals head-on? The Lost World, where there's tons of goons and guns but they mostly just die in droves due to being out of their depth? The original BOOK, where the park warden has a missile launcher but there's like thirty+ raptors so it doesn't mean much if he explodes four or five before losing the ammo and having to hide in a drainpipe and there's nameless staff members being eaten just offscreen constantly?

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 13, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Libertad! posted:

RPGBot is useful for new gamers and character optimizers alike for such purposes.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/monk/

I'd like to just say I blew the whole day reading through all this stuff on monks, races, rangers, druids, and etc. Thank you.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Drakyn posted:

It's too bad about the likely difficulties Mr. Maltose brings up because this was what I did a billion years ago for my family, which was directly inspired by Shrecknet's version of Jurassic Dread. Both of them leaned a little horror-comedy-ish, although of course that's not an automatic given and frankly I can imagine the tone wandering a lot depending on how good the players are at Jenga.\

edit:

This would also be important yeah. Like, what Jurassic Park are we talking here? The original film, with a small cast of humans and dinosaurs and a lot of tension but a low body count and the humans having almost nothing that can hurt the animals head-on? The Lost World, where there's tons of goons and guns but they mostly just die in droves due to being out of their depth? The original BOOK, where the park warden has a missile launcher but there's like thirty+ raptors so it doesn't mean much if he explodes four or five before losing the ammo and having to hide in a drainpipe and there's nameless staff members being eaten just offscreen constantly?

Good point. I guess in the style of the original film, goal for the players to get off the island or die trying but like, I don't want someone dead immediately and then they're done for the session.

Hostile V posted:

Gonna quote these to look back on.

mellonbread posted:

I was actually pondering whether CoC would be a decent fit, but I've never played it myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Check the running/chase mechanics for any system you decide to use. Avoid or modify systems where the players move their speed and stop dead and then the dino moves its speed and stops and then the players etc. etc. because that will either mean 100% they get caught or 100% they get away with nothing in between.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Farg posted:

people shouldn't publicly be funny or charismatic while doing my hobbies

Well, that's exactly the false projection they have - that they're just doing your hobby, but they enjoy it much more because they're Better Human Beings Than You. That has a bunch of negative consequences including an increasing trend of people giving up on hobbies that require more energy and effort because it's easier to enjoy them by proxy.

Thing is, they're not doing your hobby. Even the deluded groups that stick a snowball mic in the middle of their regular gaming table and think they'll get listeners are fundamentally changing the situation by introducing that factor at all.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no like they're playing a ttrpg but get paid and do better voices

like if I go to the park to play soccer with friends I am fundamentally still playing the same sport a professional player is, I'm just not as good at it and don't dedicate time to it in the same way

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hell I take back "better" even, just the better voice acting and being able to prioritize stuff

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

Well, that's exactly the false projection they have - that they're just doing your hobby, but they enjoy it much more because they're Better Human Beings Than You. That has a bunch of negative consequences including an increasing trend of people giving up on hobbies that require more energy and effort because it's easier to enjoy them by proxy.

Thing is, they're not doing your hobby. Even the deluded groups that stick a snowball mic in the middle of their regular gaming table and think they'll get listeners are fundamentally changing the situation by introducing that factor at all.
Wow there's a lot here to unpack.

Mostly you're gonna have to back up the idea that people are quitting rpgs because AP podcasts exist. This seems unlikely given the current surge of rpg players.

There's also that weird "better than you" projection going on here.

There's also the general tone of weird gatekeeping that is frankly creepy - like people who enjoy AP podcasts or try to make one and fail aren't in the same hobby.

This is part of what's getting so hosed up about all this. It's not enough to dislike CR or other AP podcasts; they have to be somehow destroying the hobby or malignant forces. I don't get it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I watch a lot of woodworking videos. Having a camera in front of them, knowing they're working for an audience, necessarily alters their work process: choice of projects, choice of tools, even subtle things like body positioning. They may edit out mistakes, or they may show them, but they're still probably working in a different manner than they would with the camera off.

However, woodworking videos are still incredibly good and useful for learning woodworking. I had no idea how to adjust a spokeshave, then Paul Sellers showed me, and now I know. Fantastic!

Actual Play doesn't have to be a perfect duplication of unrecorded home table gaming, to still provide a useful resource. Or to be entertaining, which is certainly a major portion of the reason for them. I think it's fair to point out to people that just because you can't effortlessly flatten a board like Paul Sellers does, doesn't mean you should immediately give up on woodworking - it takes a lot of practice to get good at things, and that's true in every hobby. But I think just broadly dismissing all entertainment-ized forms of hobby activities as harmful is a bad take.

Every kid who picks up a guitar and discovers after two days that they're not going to be instantly a guitar hero because it's harder than it looks, does not devalue musicians who perform in public. We just need to help people not to be discouraged, to have realistic expectations, and maybe seek a table with some experienced players to help them learn.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
like I think the worst you can level at popular APs is that they bring a lot of people into the hobby that want their games to be more like the ones they see on their favorite shows, which generally means a lot of in-character roleplaying and interpersonal drama.

However this is the kind of game I like, so it's a good thing imo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've found some actual plays of Blades in the Dark useful for getting a sense of how that game works out in practice, even though it's clearly not played the same as it would be on an unexamined table, and has a bunch of fumbling edited.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Personally, I enjoy running the published CoC one-shots and I usually either listen to someone good play through one I recently played to see how someone else interpreted it, or if the scenario is a little confusing, I listen to it first to see how to actually run it. I think I've improved as a GM somewhat through this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait, what? This is one of my favorite movies! I don't want to be on the wrong end of an Alien but that's so cool.
There's a (non-RPG) 187 page thread you may be interested in.

But yeah an Alien RPG came out in 2019ish, I haven't played it but it's apparently good! You can buy the book here or just the pdf from https://www.drivethrurpg.com (search for alien RPG), or type "(your location) Board Game Shop(or store)" into google and see if there's a friendly local game shop to order through. There's also a starter set (a boxed kit with trimmed down rules, pregenerated characters, a premade scenario, and some goodies like fancy dice) out there somewhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hyphz posted:

I dunno, hoss, I'm in a D&D game which is done by people who are CR fans in large part, and from what I've seen on CR, they're doing what we do, but with much more reliable audio connections and without the guy who constantly apologizes for everything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Farg posted:

like I think the worst you can level at popular APs is that they bring a lot of people into the hobby that want their games to be more like the ones they see on their favorite shows, which generally means a lot of in-character roleplaying and interpersonal drama.

I'd say that the worst valid criticism of popular APs is that they play both sides of the fence WRT social issues because of their unwillingness to gamble popularity.

When they're percieved as in the right, they're bold supporters of their values making the hobby a better place. But when they're criticized for loving up? Suddenly they're just a humble circle of friends playing a game they love.

They've collectively done more to make money for Wizards than Mike Mearls ever did. The Wendy's thing, the silence as 5e's staff was assisting a pants-making GBS threads harasser, the weirdness about inclusion, everything.

They've got the largest audience and platform in tabletop, but use it to benefit only themselves and the industry's worst company.

A lot of your opinion on big AP'ers comes down to how acceptable you find that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Farg posted:

As near as I can tell, they're almost solely responsible for 5e and Mike Mearls' success.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

As near as I can tell, they're almost solely responsible for 5e and Mike Mearls' success.

How soon people forget Stranger Things...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Splicer posted:

There's a (non-RPG) 187 page thread you may be interested in.

But yeah an Alien RPG came out in 2019ish, I haven't played it but it's apparently good! You can buy the book here or just the pdf from https://www.drivethrurpg.com (search for alien RPG), or type "(your location) Board Game Shop(or store)" into google and see if there's a friendly local game shop to order through. There's also a starter set (a boxed kit with trimmed down rules, pregenerated characters, a premade scenario, and some goodies like fancy dice) out there somewhere.

I do know that thread but it is pretty clear about Aliens, which is a fine movie, but not the best imo, and I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Matt Colville did a pretty good video on roleplaying in the era of podcasts. I especially liked his discussion of conflating 'doing a voice' with meaningful roleplaying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YCVHnItKuY

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I do know that thread but it is pretty clear about Aliens, which is a fine movie, but not the best imo, and I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade.
We have had several amicable discussions about the relative strengths of Alien and Aliens, I personally enjoy Aliens but prefer Alien. We also talk about alien comics, post about alien related things, and poo poo on prometheus

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 13, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wish these guys showing me how to fix my toilet fill valve and my lawnmower battery had higher production values, but hey, I'm getting a valuable service for free.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

dwarf74 posted:

Mostly you're gonna have to back up the idea that people are quitting rpgs because AP podcasts exist. This seems unlikely given the current surge of rpg players.

This is more to do with observations from other hobbies, not creative ones, and usually with adults. Leper pointed out the thing about "kids who pick up a guitar.." but it appears that adults are now decidedly less likely to pick up guitars because they already know they can never be heroes, even though there's no reason why they have to be in order to enjoy playing.

quote:

There's also the general tone of weird gatekeeping that is frankly creepy - like people who enjoy AP podcasts or try to make one and fail aren't in the same hobby.

It's not a question of "being in the same hobby". As Leper said, people who make woodworking videos are still woodworkers; but the woodwork they do when making a video is not done the same way as it is done when not making a video. Those videos can be presented as instructional, but AP videos and podcasts generally aren't, and don't always work as exemplars either - especially since some of the things they highlight can't be taught.

quote:

This is part of what's getting so hosed up about all this. It's not enough to dislike CR or other AP podcasts; they have to be somehow destroying the hobby or malignant forces. I don't get it.

I don't really follow CR, the only play podcast I listen to regularly is Dragon Friends and it's blunt about not being actual play. And I don't know about destroying the hobby but a world where everyone is encouraged to constantly contrast whatever they actually do with artificial, more colorful, unattainable versions is not desirable.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

moths posted:

I'd say that the worst valid criticism of popular APs is that they play both sides of the fence WRT social issues because of their unwillingness to gamble popularity.

When they're percieved as in the right, they're bold supporters of their values making the hobby a better place. But when they're criticized for loving up? Suddenly they're just a humble circle of friends playing a game they love.

They've collectively done more to make money for Wizards than Mike Mearls ever did. The Wendy's thing, the silence as 5e's staff was assisting a pants-making GBS threads harasser, the weirdness about inclusion, everything.

They've got the largest audience and platform in tabletop, but use it to benefit only themselves and the industry's worst company.

A lot of your opinion on big AP'ers comes down to how acceptable you find that.

That part is frankly not true, Critical Role tries to spotlight a lot of other people in the industry through one shots using different systems, guest characters and DMs, and their show Critterhug which is solely to draw attention to other sites, people etc. If it weren't for the pandemic there would be a lot more episodes of Critterhug doing just that.

I don't think they were ever really that flawed when it came to that and inclusion and diversity but the cast definitely has tried to do more on that front as time goes on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

That part is frankly not true,

Oh cool, so they've actually distanced themselves from 5e and told everyone why then?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

After season 3 it's less "forgot" and more "scabbed over"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

moths posted:

Oh cool, so they've actually distanced themselves from 5e and told everyone why then?
But that would cut into the money

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

moths posted:

This is a your mileage may vary thing because I'm sorry to you but I do not care that they work with WOTC or Twitch(owned by Amazon!) or Youtube (owned by Google!) which are all terrible companies just like every other big company.

But they do draw attention to other people and companies in the industry so to say they only benefit themselves and WOTC is false.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

moths posted:

Yeah, the silence when DC put out their statement about their time working at WotC is deafening, and a big part of why I refuse to listen to D&D podcasts.

Epi Lepi posted:

This is a your mileage may vary thing because I'm sorry to you but I do not care that they work with WOTC or Twitch(owned by Amazon!) or Youtube (owned by Google!) which are all terrible companies just like every other big company.

But they do draw attention to other people and companies in the industry so to say they only benefit themselves and WOTC is false.

Unfortunately, the reality of the internet makes running their show while avoiding working with Google and Amazon in some respect basically impossible. That is not the case for WotC/Hasbro.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 13, 2021

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Epi Lepi posted:

One of these things is not like the other~

One of these things has CR responsible for a notable part of their market share~

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

moths posted:

You initially said the "only" sought profit for them/wizards, then when pointing out that isnt true (my first CR thing i watched was them playing honey heist so d&d wasnt even my entry point) you move the goalposts

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Mr. Maltose posted:

One of these things is not like the other~

One of these things has CR responsible for a notable part of their market share~

Yeah scrappy WOTC would be nothing without CR, get the gently caress outta here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

So it's more correct to say that they primarily act in service of WotC and their own interests, then? Ok sure.

I figured there'd be a well, actually about some nod to charity too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

This is more to do with observations from other hobbies, not creative ones, and usually with adults. Leper pointed out the thing about "kids who pick up a guitar.." but it appears that adults are now decidedly less likely to pick up guitars because they already know they can never be heroes, even though there's no reason why they have to be in order to enjoy playing.
No, as in - you're making this up. You're pulling it out of your rear end and using it as evidence for why AP podcasts are bad, when you're just speculating.

"Appears that" is something that requires you to actually be looking at something involving facts. Do you have any of that?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah scrappy WOTC would be nothing without CR, get the gently caress outta here.

WotC would still be the leading company, but without shows like CR, 5e would be nowhere near as successful as it is. WotC is on the record as stating that APs like CR are a major source for D&D's growth.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Epi Lepi posted:

Obviously without a what-if machine its hard to show a counter-example. But the recent surge of APs have almost certainly boosted 5e's sale at least somewhat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's absolutely no way that 5E would continue to make the money it does and occupy the space in tabletop it does while releasing as little first party content it does if it didn't have wildly popular free advertising. There's a reason every other game setting is either built on 5E or has 5E conversion from the jump and it's not the robust and interesting product line from Hasbro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

You initially said the "only" sought profit for them/wizards, then when pointing out that isnt true (my first CR thing i watched was them playing honey heist so d&d wasnt even my entry point) you move the goalposts

I initially said a lot more than that. You bolded something you could be contrarian about to negate my whole point, which still extremely stands:

They could be doing a lot of good, but they're running infomercials for WotC. Maybe they splash attention on other games, but how successful is that when this is literally the first place I'm learning about it?

Like, the hobby is filled with trash people and garbage companies doing horrible things. Maybe it'd be cool if the biggest voice in it would, you know, suggest knocking it off and being better. But aww shucks they're just a little circle of friends playing games and

Splicer posted:

But that would cut into the money