Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shut the gently caress up about podcasts snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean it's definitely hands-in-each-others-pockets here, right? AP podcasts are huge for D&D's popularity - TAZ then CR and the rest. But also non-D&D AP podcasts seem to have a much harder time attracting and maintaining a fan base.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

Oh cool, so they've actually distanced themselves from 5e and told everyone why then?

Come back here with those goalposts.

They play 5e - and other games including Honey Heist and Monsterhearts. And WotC might not be great but they are hardly worst in an industry containing e.g. Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

Or if you mean the worst players in the industry were Wendy's (who have done far worse than WotC or even White Wolf's International Incident) then yes Critical Role did distance themselves, acknowledged they'd screwed up, removed the stream, and donated the money to charity.

Are they perfect? No. But the sheer amount of goalpost moving, barrel scraping, and nonsense, not to mention slanderous lies (in a previous dose of criticism on this site photoshop was used to "prove" brownface) is ridiculous.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

moths posted:

I initially said a lot more than that. You bolded something you could be contrarian about to negate my whole point, which still extremely stands:

They could be doing a lot of good, but they're running infomercials for WotC. Maybe they splash attention on other games, but how successful is that when this is literally the first place I'm learning about it?

Like, the hobby is filled with trash people and garbage companies doing horrible things. Maybe it'd be cool if the biggest voice in it would, you know, suggest knocking it off and being better. But aww shucks they're just a little circle of friends playing games and

You already decided you don't like them, why would you follow every side project or shout out they do? Why would that be surprising that this is the first time you heard that they do that? They're shouting out other games and creators to their audience you twit. You are clearly not their audience.

Your snide charity remark doesn't change the fact that yes, they actually did start a 503(c) foundation last year which you probably did not know about and do not care about.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What's the deal with Wendy's, btw? I thought it was a burger chain or something.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Megazver posted:

What's the deal with Wendy's, btw? I thought it was a burger chain or something.

The tomatos in their salads come from literal slave labor.

e: they also released a really bad RPG book for meme viral marketing purposes that CR did a episode on? For some reason the setting involved a thinly veiled United Nations as the main campaign villain (probably because Wendy's was the only big fast food chain to explicitly NOT sign some UN petition thing denouncing exploitative labor practices)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Megazver posted:

Like most very large corps, their third world practices are somewhere between evil and genuinely horrific. CR shouldnt have done the wendys sponsored thing they did and their response was ok mitigation tbh

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah scrappy WOTC would be nothing without CR, get the gently caress outta here.
Of course WotC makes way way more money from Magic than anybody does from roleplaying games. But when we're talking about the roleplaying market specifically, yeah, other people's shows have more successfully promoted D&D than WotC has done.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Megazver posted:

There's a Wendy's RPG. https://www.feastoflegends.com/images/Feast_Of_Legends.pdf

dwarf74 posted:

No, as in - you're making this up. You're pulling it out of your rear end and using it as evidence for why AP podcasts are bad, when you're just speculating.

Ok, well, I'm sure that it was something I'd read, and it turned out to be from a series of columns in published material:
https://www.elitedaily.com/life/millennials-hobbies-anymore/1287244
https://nationalpost.com/life/the-important-questions-why-are-millennials-turning-hobbies-into-jobs

Now, to what extent these were fact checked I don't know, and I'm not aware there's any published formal research into what they're talking about, but I don't think anyone would have funded it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, they literally refused to sign onto the bare minimum “we will not literally utilize slave labor” agreement every other fast food chain has. In addition they’re right behind Chick-fil-A in quietly shoveling money into anti-lgbtq efforts.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

They could be doing a lot of good, but they're running infomercials for WotC. Maybe they splash attention on other games, but how successful is that when this is literally the first place I'm learning about it?

If you, as a non-watcher of Critical Role have found out about it at all then I'd say very successful. I don't watch it either - but learned about and first played Honey Heist from a Critter thanks to CR.

Could they be better? Yes. But aww shucks. I guess when called on arguing with a strawman I guess you're just a poster on a comedy forum.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

neonchameleon posted:

Are they perfect? No. But the sheer amount of goalpost moving, barrel scraping, and nonsense, not to mention slanderous lies (in a previous dose of criticism on this site photoshop was used to "prove" brownface) is ridiculous.

What on earth???

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wendys is also more or less responsible for the proliferation of parasocial brand relationships on Twitter that started with being sassy to randos and then courting the chan market a bit to get a following going and that's why there's now brands on Twitter being like "I, Twinkies, suffer from depression and an anxiety disorder and sometimes things aren't okay but I have to remember mindfulness and cognitive behavior exercises to ground myself so I can continue to make our great products possible".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You know what, you've convinced me, I'm putting them on my boycott list along with Chik-Fil-A.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

neonchameleon posted:

If you, as a non-watcher of Critical Role have found out about it at all then I'd say very successful. I don't watch it either - but learned about and first played Honey Heist from a Critter thanks to CR.

If they keep going back to 5e, how does mentioning other games "promote" them any more than a negative comparison to Brand X in any other commercial?

There's a tacit endorsement that it's the real game, and OK fine here's something else out there for the squares.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

Ok, well, I'm sure that it was something I'd read, and it turned out to be from a series of columns in published material:
https://www.elitedaily.com/life/millennials-hobbies-anymore/1287244
https://nationalpost.com/life/the-important-questions-why-are-millennials-turning-hobbies-into-jobs

Now, to what extent these were fact checked I don't know, and I'm not aware there's any published formal research into what they're talking about, but I don't think anyone would have funded it.
Neither of them really support your claim and the first one was from 2015, well before AP podcasts really caught on. Well, on the cusp of it, anyway... Which led to more people playing, not less. So yeah, I don't think evidence supports your claim.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

What on earth???

I cant remember the thread, but i remember going and finding the episode to show that the photos were manipulated.

Summary is - in one episode one cast member (sam) let others draw on his face as a joke. He ended up with a mostly dark green/tree brown colouring over his face. Some people deliberatly altered the image so it looked like blackface and used that to post about how evil the CR cast are. I guess someone here saw that then posted it here (i'm happy to assume whoever posted it here was deceived and posting in good faith)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thread search is such a great tool!

This was originally raised and discussed in the Industry thread, starting with this post (highlighting of the keyword left in for skimmability), it was in reference to this article. The video predated CR.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

moths posted:

If they keep going back to 5e, how does mentioning other games "promote" them any more than a negative comparison to Brand X in any other commercial?

There's a tacit endorsement that it's the real game, and OK fine here's something else out there for the squares.

So if they play Honey Heist, or CoC, or Monsterhearts(I think it was this one) and they all have fun and go "Hey audience this was fun, you should check this game out" but then they go back to 5e that doesn't count? Once more you're moving the goalposts.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Thread search is such a great tool!

This was originally raised and discussed in the Industry thread, starting with this post (highlighting of the keyword left in for skimmability), it was in reference to this article. The video predated CR.

That wasn't it. That's the actual blackface incident by one cast member from 2010.

The manipulated image was something else

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Epi Lepi posted:

Once more you're moving the goalposts.

You love saying that, but don't seem to know what it means beyond "I win the internet discussion right?"

Suppose there's an actual drink cola show. Every week they drink Pepsi. Sometimes they have a guy in to talk about RC, but then they go back to Pepsi and never talk about RC again.

Does that suggest to you that RC is as valid a cola as Pepsi? Does it suggest that the presenters consider it such?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah. Multiple incidents, lol.

I've been conferring with potatocubed and maybe I shouldn't have contributed, it seems like this is another crappy Critical Role Derail, I don't really like the idea that we can't discuss TG-related stuff like this but we also would like it to not be another fight in the chat thread.

The TG as an Industry thread isn't supposed to be a "slapfight containment zone" but lengthy discussion of how and why Actual Plays and etc. contribute to the sales of trad games products surely belongs there, if you guys can discuss it civilly. If you just want to score points on your posting enemies for liking/not liking CR, let's just go ahead and call a truce on that line of attack please. Like, permanently.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The thing I was talking about is this post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3849301&pagenumber=482&perpage=40#post506337123

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

You love saying that, but don't seem to know what it means beyond "I win the internet discussion right?"

Suppose there's an actual drink cola show. Every week they drink Pepsi. Sometimes they have a guy in to talk about RC, but then they go back to Pepsi and never talk about RC again.

Does that suggest to you that RC is as valid a cola as Pepsi? Does it suggest that the presenters consider it such?

But your initial objection was the false claim that they never promote anything else. You've moved it from not promoting other systems to not treating them as completely equal to D&D.

And the thing is Honey Heist and Crash Pandas aren't the equal of D&D - they are one shot games which were used as one shots and promoted as one shots. They aren't suitable for 100 session campaigns. And even Monsterhearts works on short campaigns.

Your issue is as ridiculous as if a cooking show were to have a couple of episodes of wine tasting - but somehow that wouldn't be promoting the vineyards because they didn't replace every meal on every show going forward with wine

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leperflesh posted:

The TG as an Industry thread isn't supposed to be a "slapfight containment zone" but lengthy discussion of how and why Actual Plays and etc. contribute to the sales of trad games products surely belongs there, if you guys can discuss it civilly. If you just want to score points on your posting enemies for liking/not liking CR, let's just go ahead and call a truce on that line of attack please. Like, permanently.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Epi Lepi posted:

So if they play Honey Heist, or CoC, or Monsterhearts(I think it was this one) and they all have fun and go "Hey audience this was fun, you should check this game out" but then they go back to 5e that doesn't count? Once more you're moving the goalposts.
Yes, if they are consistently immediately returning to D&D after a brief safari to the exotic other that does frame D&D as the default or norm. A "nice place to visit but D&D is home" type deal.

But more important than the D&D as default thing is that WotC's and the D&D 5e team specifically's racism and courting of the absolute worst members of the community has became more publicly known over the past year and a bit. As possibly the most recognisable faces in the hobby their repeated, and unnecessary, returns to D&D are tactic endorsement of this behaviour. The logic behind ACAB applies to Critical Role Are Bastards. So, you know, gently caress 'em. CRAB.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Remind me what the good edition of Paranoia is? I've got the itch for TRPGs, but I think all I've got in the tank is a low stakes one-shot.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

whydirt posted:

Remind me what the good edition of Paranoia is? I've got the itch for TRPGs, but I think all I've got in the tank is a low stakes one-shot.

Either classic or xp.

Or homebrew a 5e hack of it

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

whydirt posted:

All I've heard is XP

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Either classic or xp.

Or homebrew a 5e hack of it

Let's play two truths and a lie.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

whydirt posted:

Good: 2nd (Classic), original XP (or reprinted version with the XP dropped but the XP rules)
Maybe: 1st (West End White Box), Troubleshooters (clumsily modified XP)
Computer says No!: 5th, Mongoose White Box

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Let's play two truths and a lie.
This statement is true
This statement is true
This statement is true

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

This statement is true
This statement is true
This statement is true

Roll Spurious Logic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

whydirt posted:

The late-1980s Second Edition from West End Games is the best IMHO

A lot of people prefer the Paranoia XP version from the early-2000s by Mongoose

Bad versions include the Early 1990s "Fifth Edition" from West End, and the current James Wallis version.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
XP is pretty solid, and most of the good older adventures got converted for it. It'd be my choice.

2e is just way too... rules-y... for what the game should be.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d definitely prefer fewer rules, so I’ll check out XP! Thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

whydirt posted:

I’d definitely prefer fewer rules, so I’ll check out XP! Thanks!

XP may look fairly rulesy at first glance, FYI - it's a 256 page book I think. Most of it is setting information and the rest literally tells the GM "who actually cares about sticking to the rules just do what is fun for you." The players will not be able to tell for sure.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Sorry if this is too off topic for the thread, but does anyone have any favorite game-scheduling tools?

Our group is starting a campaign where we each take turns DMing/hosting (not always the same person) for a few sessions and Google Calendar is kind of clunky for what I want to use it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

jpegs as thread titles when?
But yeah wow I thpught the Wendy's thing was just people reacting to really bad product placement stuff, not that they were horrifically worse than other fast food megacorps.
I didn't even knpw their "let's use d&d stats for our corporate mascot" advertisement/splat did that "the UN is the bad guy" thing too.

So has anyone else had their virtual games fizzle now that their friends all went stir crazy due to covid?
Both of my weekly games haven't met since mod June.