Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

also the dude in there recognized the modern baseball song i was playing and that ruuuuuules it made me so happy

if its gonna be a minute before you can record an original song, would you consider recording your take on someone else's song and posting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

if its gonna be a minute before you can record an original song, would you consider recording your take on someone else's song and posting it?

thought about it but i'm the sort of person where i'm either gonna do it all up right, or just not do it at all, so it just takes so much time/work to do even that

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

actually you know what, on days when i work and come home, and i don't really have the ability to play my amp since it's typically at night and i wanna be considerate, it'd probably make me feel good to still be working on something -- like the fine details of a cover.

so yeah, i'll get to work on that. i know what i'm gonna do. expect it soonish.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nah gently caress that. Get poo poo done. I think I spent more effort tracking the second guitar on the blues dad song than I did the whole rest of the project combined. And that was only because I improvised the first guitar in one take and couldn't remember what I did.

But I'm a huge proponent of the mindset that you will always think your work sucks, so focus on being kinda good at it and then move onto the next one. See what you did right and wrong and use that knowledge. There's no reason to spin your wheels while staying stationary to get the perfect song or lyrics or painting. Only you will find those faults anyway, so just make art art.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If you never make anything, you can't learn from your mistakes (or get feedback from people), and that's the only way to get better. Speaking of which, I have to finish my in progress song, and record my blues dad track.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna make a blues dad track as an excuse to learn Garageband instead of just using Ableton for everything.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

actually you know what, on days when i work and come home, and i don't really have the ability to play my amp since it's typically at night and i wanna be considerate, it'd probably make me feel good to still be working on something -- like the fine details of a cover.

so yeah, i'll get to work on that. i know what i'm gonna do. expect it soonish.

cool! recording a part is hard enough. writing AND recording a part is even harder!

i think it will feel good to get something recorded, and hopefully inspire confidence for whatever comes next

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah gently caress that. Get poo poo done. I think I spent more effort tracking the second guitar on the blues dad song than I did the whole rest of the project combined. And that was only because I improvised the first guitar in one take and couldn't remember what I did.

But I'm a huge proponent of the mindset that you will always think your work sucks, so focus on being kinda good at it and then move onto the next one. See what you did right and wrong and use that knowledge. There's no reason to spin your wheels while staying stationary to get the perfect song or lyrics or painting. Only you will find those faults anyway, so just make art art.

yeah you've made your position on this clear.

what actually happens is, i stop working on something when i don't have anything good to add to it anymore. i have entire instrumental tracks and structures written out, where i couldn't crack the melody. and i go back to these things every once in a while, and i get a little bit farther every time.

if i'm making something and i think it sucks, then i stop having fun. and if you force yourself to write songs while not having fun or when it doesn't feel good or when you don't want to, you're going to ruin writing songs for yourself. i truly believe that!

different people are different. what i can say, is that my songs and lyrics HAVE actually gotten better. the snippets have gotten better. i'm at a point where i can go back and read or listen to something i did a few months ago, and go "actually that's cool still", which is a good sign. the situation is actually improving rapidly -- the quality of the ideas, how defined they are, the amount of progress being made, and my satisfaction with them, is increasing at a good rate. i am glad i did that and told myself that some stuff wasn't good enough, instead of pumping out poopy songs that i wouldn't stand by.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Realizing everything I make will suck has been a liberating feeling because I can stop caring about that part and focus on making the OK parts into great parts.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Realizing everything I make will suck has been a liberating feeling because I can stop caring about that part and focus on making the OK parts into great parts.

yeah, and this is why most people write songs that are just OK, and even signed professional bands write songs that are just OK.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Making a blues dad song has been a huge learning experience. I’ve never really used my DAW this much and I’m figuring a lot of stuff out. There’s still some stuff that’s confusing so I’m making slow progress. But it’s progress. I’ve got 3 guitar parts written and I just started recording bass this afternoon.

It is exceptionally mediocre. And I love it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Making a blues dad song has been a huge learning experience. I’ve never really used my DAW this much and I’m figuring a lot of stuff out. There’s still some stuff that’s confusing so I’m making slow progress. But it’s progress. I’ve got 3 guitar parts written and I just started recording bass this afternoon.

It is exceptionally mediocre. And I love it.

Well I admire you for doing it! Getting in and involving myself with my DAW for my music duo has been so enlightening, it's an incredibly powerful tool if you don't freeze up at the pure possibility of it. Knowing you can do pretty much any part and make it sound good and sound good together.... It's awesome. Keep doin it!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
you gotta write like 100 bad songs before you can write good ones, so its best to get those out of the way as quickly as possible (i don't remember where i heard this, it's some quote)

the stuff you like now will be stuff you hate soon and that's perfectly okay

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I’ve written so many bad songs over the years. So many “cool” riffs that sound like absolute poo poo.

Luckily none of those old 4 track recordings have survived. Or I’d be compelled to post them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Well'p, looks like I've got a shitload of overtime coming up so maybe I will be buying a Mark V sooner rather than later. Yay? :confuoot:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I'm gonna write a blues song, I need get back in the right headspace.

Time to listen to Eliminator for two days straight.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I’ve written so many bad songs over the years. So many “cool” riffs that sound like absolute poo poo.

Luckily none of those old 4 track recordings have survived. Or I’d be compelled to post them.

I call those samples for future songs

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i got a lot of bad songs on my old soundcloud, from back when using garageband to record demos with drums bass and guitars

https://soundcloud.com/evaluators/locked-worked-up

https://soundcloud.com/evaluators/hypothesis

surprisingly good tone from garageband amp simulators

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to say they are a better band than Van Halen.

But I will say on the point of their music being, "the soundtrack to a dog wearing sunglasses," I think I have to give it to ZZ Top.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Huxley posted:

I'm not going to say they are a better band than Van Halen.

But I will say on the point of their music being, "the soundtrack to a dog wearing sunglasses," I think I have to give it to ZZ Top.

What about David Lee Roth's solo career, or was the one compared to an overly glittery guitar?

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

you gotta write like 100 bad songs before you can write good ones, so its best to get those out of the way as quickly as possible (i don't remember where i heard this, it's some quote)

the stuff you like now will be stuff you hate soon and that's perfectly okay

George Harrison laid this out in one of his solo interviews. Paul and John had years more songwriting experience and had "gotten all the bad ones out early". His advice was to work through bad/okay songs quickly so you can improve not just writing ability, but being able to tell which songs are worth spending more time on, or going back to an older song to give it a polish. Also, record every idea. Another thing he lamented was the ease of newer recording technology being usable anywhere for essentially free.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nebraska Tim posted:

George Harrison laid this out in one of his solo interviews. Paul and John had years more songwriting experience and had "gotten all the bad ones out early". His advice was to work through bad/okay songs quickly so you can improve not just writing ability, but being able to tell which songs are worth spending more time on, or going back to an older song to give it a polish. Also, record every idea. Another thing he lamented was the ease of newer recording technology being usable anywhere for essentially free.

Pretty sure Paul McCartney takes full advantage of this now. I think I read somewhere in the billion interviews for the release of McCartney iii that he said most of it was from the scraps and pieces of poo poo he recorded to his iPhone and didnt have time to get back to, until pandemic lockdown that is.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

landgrabber posted:

yeah, and this is why most people write songs that are just OK, and even signed professional bands write songs that are just OK.

Kinda unwarranted amount of sass from someone who has yet to attain one song good or bad or mediocre here tbh.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
TBH my statement was holistic and about all creative processes, be it making something for work/school like writing a report or for a hobby like writing/recording a song or painting up a space marine. Letting go of the mentality of "THIS MUST BE PERFECT OR ELSE I WONT EVEN DO IT AT ALL" is extremely liberating because you won't sit there at the first paragraph of a paper and then start to procrastinate because you're too worried about loving up or sounding stupid.

Writing and recording dumb poo poo is entertaining, and the more you do it the better you'll get. I wrote that dumb blues dad song in about 45 seconds, using my practice drum loops completely unchanged. I had an idea for a call/response riff style where the guitars sit on f# to let the vocals say a line then the guitars do a little hook then i do that a bunch of times until the chorus which is just holding chords then a little riff, then repeat again. I know the drums would go "skank beat, double bass, skank beat, blast beat" so I just pressed play and did some stuff in f# then pressed record and tried it again. I didn't put in effort in tone, it's just my jam settings in biasamp with a huge hi-pass filter applied. Why? because it's a dumb joke song I did for laughs. gently caress it. The song sucks, I know this. I had fun doing it, and it seems that other people got the joke and enjoyed it. Isn't that what music is about? Having fun?

I knew how to write this quickly from practice. I practice on that poo poo all the time. I sit there and jam along with those drums constantly and improvise to write riffs and melodies and cool turnarounds. Because I'm super lazy I rarely record them, and if I do I rarely post them. I switch the order of the patterns every once in a while or do stuff in 6/8 but that's been a lot of my guitar playing when I actually do play guitar. And when I do feel like actually recording something in the once a year feeling, I don't give a poo poo if the riffs aren't perfect. I don't think pitchfork is going to cream their jeans at my song structures and melodies and metalsucks is gonna write articles lauding my pinch harmonics. Nah, I just want to write something fast and fun with a cool melody. When I get done with everything I move onto the next project and try to do better. Be it actually recording vocals, or getting tones/mix better the next time. Every song I;ve ever made has sucked, but I know the next one will be better.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
landgrabber tbh it sounds like you're writing plenty of stuff that's good enough to post a demo of, and if you do we'll all stop complaining

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

like even just a riff would be neat

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nebraska Tim posted:

Another thing he lamented was the ease of newer recording technology being usable anywhere for essentially free.

that's a weird thing to lament, don't you think?

could it be that difference between him and his less successful contemporaries was the virtually unlimited studio time he enjoyed?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

could it be that difference between him and his less successful contemporaries was the virtually unlimited studio time he enjoyed?

Still gotta physically haul your rear end to a studio to record, and if you have a home set up back in the 70s you gotta que up the tape and poo poo before you can play and that poo poo does cost money, iirc tape stock wasn't cheap. Not as quick or as easy as whipping out your phone and pressing record to capture an idea.

Semi related: don't forget we almost lost the bass line to Queen's Under Pressure to some good pizza, because no one recorded it or wrote it down before leaving the studio for dinner.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just imagine the band gathered around an empty pizza box, heads in their hands

Dun dun dun dun-dun dun-dun? Dun-dun dun-dun-- gently caress

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I read it as him wishing it being available when he was starting out. If I remember correctly, he'd never get help on his songs from the other Beatles til they were done with theirs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

He needed Help! Just a little help from his friends!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Brawnfire posted:

I just imagine the band gathered around an empty pizza box, heads in their hands

Dun dun dun dun-dun dun-dun? Dun-dun dun-dun-- gently caress

Pretty much until Roger Taylor finally remembered it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The pizza delivery boy?

Vanilla Ice.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Brawnfire posted:

The pizza delivery boy?

Vanilla Ice.

Ahaha lol.

To make this a not so empty quote other popular musican anecdotes stuck in my head is I'm pretty sure Micheal Jackson composed a lot of late 80s and 90s stuff by singing all the parts into a cassette recorder since he didn't know musical notation of any sort. And naturally there is a hell of an archive of all that and probably some unreleased stuff too.

I also have a vague notion that a lot of rappers of the same era got their start because cassette tapes were so cheap, ubiquitous and easy to record on but I'm not up on that genre's history all that well.

Probably citation needed for both of those factoids but yeah it'd be what Harrison is lamenting.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I read it as him wishing it being available when he was starting out. If I remember correctly, he'd never get help on his songs from the other Beatles til they were done with theirs.

Pretty much on his own, yeah. Paul and John were the powerhouse of hits, and the higher ups knew it too. He was lucky to get scraps of help or studio time, and maybe one or two songs per album out of pity. Bear in mind, when he was telling these stories it wasn't with any grudge; he knew he was behind the curve and just had to put in the work to catch up.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Ahaha lol.

To make this a not so empty quote other popular musican anecdotes stuck in my head is I'm pretty sure Micheal Jackson composed a lot of late 80s and 90s stuff by singing all the parts into a cassette recorder since he didn't know musical notation of any sort. And naturally there is a hell of an archive of all that and probably some unreleased stuff too.

I also have a vague notion that a lot of rappers of the same era got their start because cassette tapes were so cheap, ubiquitous and easy to record on but I'm not up on that genre's history all that well.

Probably citation needed for both of those factoids but yeah it'd be what Harrison is lamenting.

He won a plagiarism suit by displaying the process you describe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwmYdgGVwFg

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nebraska Tim posted:

Pretty much on his own, yeah. Paul and John were the powerhouse of hits, and the higher ups knew it too. He was lucky to get scraps of help or studio time, and maybe one or two songs per album out of pity. Bear in mind, when he was telling these stories it wasn't with any grudge; he knew he was behind the curve and just had to put in the work to catch up.

Then how the gently caress does Ringo get in there with singing lead on A Little Help From my Friends and then Octopus's Garden? Or was the latter because they were all fed up with each other and nobody gave a poo poo anymore? Another thing I don't know is Beatles lore.

What might be interesting though is this friday the 16th there's supposed to be a 6 episode McCartney documentary (on hulu) that's Rick Rubin interviewing Paul at a mixer board isolating parts of Beatles songs and asking him who did what.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/paul-mccartney-rick-beatles-trailer-mccartney-321-1193786/

Edit: ^ Yeah it was the plagiarism lawsuit thing I was remembering.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Turbinosamente posted:

Then how the gently caress does Ringo get in there with singing lead on A Little Help From my Friends and then Octopus's Garden? Or was the latter because they were all fed up with each other and nobody gave a poo poo anymore? Another thing I don't know is Beatles lore.

What might be interesting though is this friday the 16th there's supposed to be a 6 episode McCartney documentary (on hulu) that's Rick Rubin interviewing Paul at a mixer board isolating parts of Beatles songs and asking him who did what.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/paul-mccartney-rick-beatles-trailer-mccartney-321-1193786/

slated to be the only sonically pleasing thing rick rubin has ever done behind a mixing board

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

landgrabber posted:

slated to be the only sonically pleasing thing rick rubin has ever done behind a mixing board

Hey if it gets us a good/interesting analysis. Between this and the Summer of Soul documentary I think I may abuse a hulu free trial shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

I don't know a whole lot of Bealtes lore either, just went down a little rabbit hole with songwriting tip videos. Those two are late 60's so I'm guessing Ringo (and George by then as well) were just better at writing than the last 9ish years? Dunno, tbh

As for MJ, I remember hearing the same about him having tons of beatboxed/acappella demos, but who knows if they'll ever surface