Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I have never done cocaine but now I kinda want to because I think it makes you feel like... God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mekchu posted:

isn't that just how irish media law works due to privacy stuff and not conor putting a gag order out on them?

Yes actually you are right. I think specifically for sexual assault they don’t name the accused in some cases.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TheReverend posted:

I have never done cocaine but now I kinda want to because I think it makes you feel like... God?

preach reverend

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Nick Diaz Robbie Lawler is apparently happening and will be five rounds because that’s what Diazes do now apparently.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Did Nick forget that Robbie Lawler punches aren't good for you?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Destro posted:

does any fighter have punches weak enough that they heal you?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Nis posted:

"The last thing I want to do, win or lose, is take more robbie lawler punches," said diaz back in the strike force days, so I dunno. 2010 or so?. "they're not good. for your head."

one of my favorite mma quotes of all time. the first diaz/lawler fight might have been about the time a good chunk of psp stopped calling diaz punches "homophobic pejorative" punches. it was thought by a good chunk of posters here that diaz punches were so soft they'd fill up your mortal kombat health meter

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Destro posted:

If he did, it was obviously the punches that did it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TheReverend posted:

only for about 20 mins then you need to do more cocaine

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Nis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am78dKHX2Mw&t=444s

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

This must be how God feels, when he takes cocaine!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Conor wants to be a heel so bad, and yet his own heel shattered under mysterious circumstances. Sad.

holy poo poo dude.

threeagainstfour posted:

*Conor looking down at his tibia mid fight*

"Gonezo"

holy poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Quoting again.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lolol I was going back and rewatching the press stuff cause I was curious if Conor ate even more Karma by trying to kick Dustin with the leg that he broke during their last presser and LMAO I caught this - I'll let Conor's word choice at the end here speak for itself :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/ibfD2oj.mp4

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

beep by grandpa posted:

Lolol I was going back and rewatching the press stuff cause I was curious if Conor ate even more Karma by trying to kick Dustin with the leg that he broke during their last presser and LMAO I caught this - I'll let Conor's word choice at the end here speak for itself :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/ibfD2oj.mp4

lmao your shirt looks like a dish rag

Horns.aiff

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the overall state of Conor is so sad, goddamn lol

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
MMA meltdowns are normally pretty funny to see but this is just sad and pathetic

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

good

spicy hot take i might feel embarrassed about later: not ever in my life have I felt so righteous about seeing someone receive a gruesome possibly career-ending injury, but I think he is very extremely bad for the sport and needs to go. and all of his disgusting fans who fan on and cheer, like, retweet the death threats and saying dustin's wife wants to suck his cock and other disgusting poo poo can go with him. i've seen a lot of "but conor did so much for this sport" on social media, but if this is what he's "bringing" to the sport, then I don't want it, nor do I want to be associated with the people that this stuff attracts. we already saw on january 6th how many mentally ill people can be so enamored with a super-celebrity that they'll take things to the next level in their name regarding violent threats, so conor threatening to end Dustin "in his sleep" and posting pics of his daughter and poo poo are utterly indefensible and revolting to the core. one could chalk some of this up to being in the moment in the cage, but he hasn't let off one bit on social media nor apologized for anything. the sooner he retires, the better in this poster's humble opinion.

the only benefit of the doubt I could possibly give conor is if something snapped in him back in January that made him convince himself he needed to :thaoldme: himself to recapture his glory days, but perhaps started buying way too much into it to the point where he's in too deep now to pull back on it and drove himself crazy like Ronda Rousey. I'm no expert, but someone who has been a millionaire playboy celebrity for years now, running around assaulting people, throwing handtrucks at buses while the UFC looks the other way and getting everything and anything he wants handed to him, after being humiliated so badly twice in a row by someone he views as a low-class hillbilly, prob isn't the type of person to be very receptive to a lesson in humility & evolution at this point in life. like I said the other day, a big adjustment on his part was to kick volume leg kicks tells me that's not happening anymore unless he wants more surgery bills, so wtf could he possibly change up to keep up with the division? retire, mate.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The whole "it's so terrible to celebrate a fighter getting injured" thing is completely loving insane anyway because every single person saying it has at some point cheered raucously after Reginald "The Baby Pitbull Assassin" Cetera got kicked in the head so hard he woke up four days later with 40% of his paycheck gone and no idea where he was born

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
"Its so terrible to see someone get hurt" I said, sipping my beer as I watched the People Hurting Each Other event I paid to watch.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is threatening to kill someone's kid not illegal over in the US or what's going on

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Conor did so much for the sport", but really, his rise in the UFC directly correlates with Reebok deal robbing fighters, the final farewell of the pretense that the UFC is a meritocratic and that the best fighters get chances, and despite massive increases in revenue, has resulted in a rise in fighter pay for the following fighters:

C. McGregor

At the same time, he's gone around breaking the law in basically all of the most disgusting ways except murder, directly injured other fighters with tinpot gangster level violence against them. All he needs to do is pop for steroids and have it go public instead of it being swept under the rug and he's hit the "scummy MMA fighter who will end up murdered in prison" bingo.

Conor's impact on MMA is huge, but how much of that is actually a positive in any way whatsoever, outside of it getting Dustin Poirier's charity paid?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Eat This Glob posted:

"The last thing I want to do, win or lose, is take more robbie lawler punches," said diaz back in the strike force days, so I dunno. 2010 or so?. "they're not good. for your head."

one of my favorite mma quotes of all time. the first diaz/lawler fight might have been about the time a good chunk of psp stopped calling diaz punches "homophobic pejorative" punches. it was thought by a good chunk of posters here that diaz punches were so soft they'd fill up your mortal kombat health meter

that mario sperry video came up on someone's twitter the other day and it's still insanely funny even if it's not aged particularly well lol

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Mekchu posted:

isn't that just how irish media law works due to privacy stuff and not conor putting a gag order out on them?

Yeah its "in camera" to use the legal term. Laws are designed to protect the rich, and its not surprising for a shame based society like Irelands to have that extend to rape and sexual assault cases. Which is why the person walking down the street here knows nothing about his crimes and its only people who were paying attention who knew. More people found out about it from the NYT for christsakes, it was swept under the rug completely here. There was talk about an associated civil case here but a civil case won't yield anything without a criminal conviction afaik.

What an unbearable bastard, I'm so glad he broke his own shin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is threatening to kill someone's kid not illegal over in the US or what's going on

It is but he made a gun sign with his fingers as he said it so it's covered by the second ammendment

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

threeagainstfour posted:

*Conor looking down at his tibia mid fight*

"Gonezo"

lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Making threats in an extremely public manner is honestly the weakest poo poo ever, it's like when someone threatens to come beat you up on facebook or something for arguing with them. All you're doing is showing the entire world that you posture when you're upset and say dumb things you won't follow through on, so they ignore the next things you say. But somehow we still haven't gotten to the 'ignore everything conor says' stage

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

empty whippet box posted:

Making threats in an extremely public manner is honestly the weakest poo poo ever, it's like when someone threatens to come beat you up on facebook or something for arguing with them. All you're doing is showing the entire world that you posture when you're upset and say dumb things you won't follow through on, so they ignore the next things you say. But somehow we still haven't gotten to the 'ignore everything conor says' stage

I'm actually at that stage, but it's hard because whenever he says anything a million jillion people quote it, retweet it, and comment on it, so it just ends up coming back.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

empty whippet box posted:

But somehow we still haven't gotten to the 'ignore everything conor says' stage

I think we’re reaching that stage right now. It seems like the universal response to Conor’s last Twitter outburst was for everyone, including the main stream media, to shrug and say “huh he’s washed up isn’t he?”

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I feel like after spending his entire career trying to do his best at performatively not giving a gently caress, running into a guy like Khabib who genuinely does not give a gently caress and will flying dropkick his way into your entire entourage broke Conor's brain and now he think she has to go full Scarface to make up for it.

that and, y'know, cocaine

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yes conor deserved everything that happened to him on Saturday and I hope his career burns in Hell!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

has resulted in a rise in fighter pay for the following fighters:

C. McGregor

Well his opponents got some too eventually at least (except they probably paid cowboy nothing)

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

It is but he made a gun sign with his fingers as he said it so it's covered by the second ammendment

This was under appreciated.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarlCX posted:

I feel like after spending his entire career trying to do his best at performatively not giving a gently caress, running into a guy like Khabib who genuinely does not give a gently caress and will flying dropkick his way into your entire entourage broke Conor's brain and now he think she has to go full Scarface to make up for it.

that and, y'know, cocaine

it's pretty loving funny how much khabib is everything conor ever pretended to be and wanted to be seen as, and went out on top and does poo poo like turning down a GSP fight that would make him tons of money for completely valid reasons that make him sound even more badass while conor is watching it all slip away and screaming and struggling to stop it, to no avail. it really owns tbh

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I hate McGregor and he deserves everything he gets on the way down, but to be fair… at least he doesn’t want to snuggle up with Kadyrov and other war criminals.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah I was gonna say khabib is also a lovely person but people love him for his borat schtick

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Khabib is actually a very cool guy, so long as you do not recognize the autonomy of Crimea or his wife

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
TUF Recap!

Episode 7: Friend or Foe

Current standings:

Team Volkanovski 2 wins
Team Ortega 4 wins

Dan and Ricky celebrate their banger of a fight by going Ninja Turtle on some pizza. Just guys bein' dudes, broin down hard, it's all love, baby. Meanwhile, Brady and Josh are sharing a hottub to cut weight and talk about how weird it is that two guys from the same town are on TUF, are room mates in the house, and are going to fight each other.

Josh Rettinghouse Fight Prep: Josh feels like he's the better grappler, having rolled with Brady back home. Ortega says Josh is a technical fighter who likes to throw strikes to feel out opponent, analyze them, and then formulate a plan of attack based on that.

Brady Hiestand Home Video: Brady is a volunteer firefighter out of Spokane, Washington. His family has a horse ranch. Hiestand's training comes by way of Sik-Jitsu, home of Michael Chiesa, as well as head coach, Rich Little, who has famously said he doesn't allow his fighters to block low kicks or body shots, because he is a massive idiot.

Brady Hiestand Fight Prep: Brady likes to throw a lead leg high kick, and he's got what looks like a solid submission game. Brady's plan is to pressure Josh standing, and if a takedown presents itself, he'll go to the mat and out-grapple Josh.

Josh Rettinghouse Home Video: Josh is also out of Spokane, and he's been at a CPA firm for 6 years. He trains at Warrior Camp, head coached by Pablo Alfonso. I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable person, but I've not heard of this gym or trainer. That doesn't necessary mean its bad, of course.

Weigh-ins go smooth, which is always good to see. Dana blathers about which friend wants it more, as if he's ever had to scrape and claw for something in his horrible life.

Toyo Tires TUF Flashback is...

Julian Lane's "let me bang, bro!" moment. It's real cool and good to slap a corporate sponsorship on what is clearly a troubled person's psychological breakdown.

Anyway, it is fight day!

Tale of the Tape

Brady Hiestand
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 135lbs
Reach: 71"

Josh Rettinghouse
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 135lbs
Reach: 67"

Another episode with the fight starting before the halfway point, which probably means a long one. Let's see if it is as good as Turcios versus Argueta.

Round 1

Brady opens with a nice right straight, he chases to a clinch on the cage. Josh goes for a trip, they scramble back to their feet. Josh catches a kick, Brady loses his footing and Josh looks for a front headlock. Lot of action very early!

Brady clinches Josh against the fence, both guys landing short strikes. Brady looks for a takedown, Josh defends. The ref yells about not grabbing the cage multiple times. Brady takes Josh's back.

Brady falls back for the RNC, Josh looks in trouble for a moment, but defends it. Josh escapes, eats some solid knees to the body and looks for his own takedown. Josh gets a takedown and tries to take Brady's back, but gets too high and Brady escapes. Round ends with Brady on Josh's back, landing punches. Round 1 should go to Brady.

Round 2

Brady eats a body kick and lands another solid right hand to open the round. He looks for the clinch and takedown, but Josh hits him a few times on the way in. Brady keeps the pressure up, re-establishes the clinch and takes down Josh. Brady looks to take the back, but Josh shucks him off.

Brady throwing a bit wild, Josh lands a good knee to the face. Josh with a stiff right hand, and starts landing some good uppercuts as Brady level changes. Josh defends against Brady's clinches, landing solid punches.

Brady finally gets hold of Josh and gets the take down, landing in full guard. Josh throws up a triangle, but Brady defends. Brady is spewing blood, but Josh gets back to his feet. Brady with another takedown with one minute left. Josh probably won that round to pull things even.

Round 3

Both guys throwing jabs. Brady tries to crash in for clinches, but Josh backs out. Brady clonks Josh with an accidental headbutt, cutting open Josh. Josh gets a takedown, but Brady stands back up.

Brady shoots, Josh sprawls. Brady keeps working and takes down Josh. Brady tries to take Josh's back against the cage. Brady gets a takedown and Josh looks for a very tired triangle as the round ends. Brady didn't do a lot with his takedowns, and Josh's striking was a little better, but I assume Brady takes this one. Another very good fight to watch!

Winner by split decision, Brady Hiestand. Team Volkanovski is now 3-4, bayyyyyybeeeee!!!

Fight Selection for next week: Gilbert Urbina vs Miles Hunsinger, the last preliminary bout of the show!

Next week: did Miles Hunsinger jack up his knee by kicking a guy in sparring and is he gonna be out of the fight? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

Khabib is actually a very cool guy, so long as you do not recognize the autonomy of Crimea or his wife

Conor saying his wife is hiding under a towel: liberator, hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Yes conor deserved everything that happened to him on Saturday and I hope his career burns in Hell!

:agreed: