Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Highbrow Slick posted:

Wooo free bouncy house ride for the Central Valley just now

https://twitter.com/fresnobee/status/1413272227362054144?s=21

My buddy has a cabin up there in the sierras and this one didn't even set off his alarms like prior smaller ones further away. Nothing knocked off his walls according to video feeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Gavin wants you to do your part.
Maybe one of those almond/weed growers or specialty beverage companies could cut back a little also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3vhnZieTw

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 10, 2021

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I haven't showered in three weeks but I can't stop eating these loving almonds!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've been trying to find the answer online but cannot, so I was curious if anyone here knew the answer. Who the gently caress is eligible for this latest round of Golden State Stimulus? It keeps saying that it caps out at $75k, but never mentions how to deal with married filers. Is that 75k from them both combined? 75k for each individual? Should married couples expect something if their combined income is below 150k? How are dependents determined? My wife and I file jointly, so who gets the dependents bonus? Jesus Christ, even the Trump admin did a better job of advertising who gets what money.

EDIT: As best as I can tell it looks as everyone as an individual and sees what they make and if its 30k-75k they get $600 bucks, and THEN it looks at families and if they have a kid then it's $500 more. This makes no sense though. If you are a couple that makes 25k and 80k so 105k total, then congrats you get nothing but your neighbors who make 74k and 74k (148k total) get 1200 bucks. What if you have more than one dependent? Why is this so much more complicated but stupider than the federal stimulus?

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 14, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's not too much info as everything was just approved today.

There's an estimator on CA's tax website that seems to confirm your theory. If you select a family that makes over $75k your check amount is zero, no matter how much each person made.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/golden-state-stimulus/gss-ii-estimator.html

I made $80k last year and my wife doesn't work so we don't qualify for the checks. Also, since we made over $75k we don't get anything for our 3 dependents either. It seems to be a hard cutoff.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 14, 2021

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That blows lmao, my taxable income was like $76k last year

edit: Finally that rightwing trope about you being screwed if you make a hair too much are true, in this one highly specific instance

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hawkperson posted:

That blows lmao, my taxable income was like $76k last year

edit: Finally that rightwing trope about you being screwed if you make a hair too much are true, in this one highly specific instance

It’s OK to be annoyed, liberalism is scientifically designed to pit people against each other for arbitrary and capricious reasons. But we can’t have universal programs because gosh golly it’s just not feasible.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
RIP to all the people that made $75,001 in income last year

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not even so much as a $5,000 phase-out range. drat that is some poor legislative design!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
real cool that if your taxable income was $0 you also don't qualify

thanks gav

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jfc this is some arch lib poo poo.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This is all supposed to make people be excited to say no on the recall, right? Kind of wonder if there will be a fix bill once there is a lot of loud yelling about this. I just mentioned it in the covid thread, but CA walked back their mask requirements in schools for 21-22 within a day because of yelling. https://edsource.org/2021/california-backtracks-will-let-local-schools-decide-how-to-enforce-mask-requirement/657969

mikeycp posted:

real cool that if your taxable income was $0 you also don't qualify

thanks gav

ohhhh, gently caress that

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
can we get that bear on the ballot?

i feel like a literal actual bear would be doing a better job with this

at the very least it'd be cuter

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

no hay camino posted:

RIP to all the people that made $75,001 in income last year

My decision to up my pre-tax retirement contribution continues to reap unexpected rewards.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Gangringo posted:

My decision to up my pre-tax retirement contribution continues to reap unexpected rewards.

The system works!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Found a further explanation...

quote:

Unlike the federal stimulus checks, there is no higher income threshold for various taxpayer filing statuses. That means even married couples filing jointly and those who file as heads of household are also restricted to the $75,000 limit. (Married couples filing separately, however, have an income level capped at $37,500 per person and can get $300 and $550 if they have at least one dependent, according to the state’s online tool to check eligibility. More on that below.)

So it's basically a gently caress you to married people, or people with more than one kid.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I had remote contractor work last year and adding my yearly internet bill to the tax as expense made me eligible

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Celexi posted:

I had remote contractor work last year and adding my yearly internet bill to the tax as expense made me eligible

You're able to do that 100% despite not using it 100% for work?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So it's basically a gently caress you to married people, or people with more than one kid.

lol what the gently caress is this technocrat garbage, it's like they made something horrible, realized it, and then noticed someone might be able to salvage something from it so they made it worse on purpose so nobody could break the rules

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

droll posted:

You're able to do that 100% despite not using it 100% for work?
afaik the going standard for internet service write off for contractors is estimated percentage of time you use the connection for work versus use for personal time.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Caitlyn_Jenner/status/1416109590303805447
What is that important work commitment, you might ask?

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1416088245730004997

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

:lol: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You can't make up this kind of thing.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I assume this is deliberate. She's getting so much free press and she's going to talk politics on the show. Hopefully she has an Andy Millman moment.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

good, california liberals need their own trump to humble them, before this state burns to the ground and we all suffocate in the smoke

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Centrist Committee posted:

good, california liberals need their own trump to humble them

You mean Reagan?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You mean Pete Wilson?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You mean Arnold Schwarzenegger?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I, for one, think maybe we should not have a Trump-like figure running the state.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I am not worried about Caitlyn Jenner.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You mean Reagan?

Never heard of him!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

I said the same thing about Donald Trump.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

droll posted:

I said the same thing about Donald Trump.

I didn't. There's almost nothing in common between the two elections. Donald Trump was packing out rallies from Day 1. Jenner has none of that. It's also a recall election, not a general. It's also California, not These United States.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kenning posted:

You're in the habit of keeping your wheels straight until you're absolutely ready to turn too, huh?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That metaphor doesn't make sense even it was just about driving and not a metaphor at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I love the responses I get from the "Stop the recall" people.

"Gavin is under threat 500 letters of bullshit you must volunteer!"

My response:

Gavin just gave everyone 600 bux and has a 50+ approval rate

"SO you wont volunteer, okay fine"

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

"everyone"

but I agree, better things to volunteer for. lmfao at Jenner btw, the article says if shooting takes as long as Big Brother usually does, she won't be back in the states until after the election

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is she hosting it or a contestant? if she's a contestant she may get eliminated sooner rather than later, but the top republican challenger quitting campaigning to go compete on a game show is hilarious.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn’t CBS have to give equal airtime to any of her opponents??

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
By what metric is she the top Republican challenger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

tigersklaw posted:

By what metric is she the top Republican challenger?

The metric of "who the gently caress else is there?", mostly.