Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1414920470474985474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
SWP move loving fast to get their signs out

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1415030954142355457?s=20

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Relevant Tangent posted:

Me: It can't be as simple as only one of them is Black can it?
The English: Oi bruv you forgot to include a slur

look, if three white people are all agreeing that England isn’t racist, then of course the dissenting slur non-white person must be the one who is divisive. that’s just logic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

poor forgotten Gibraltar.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

They're good at one thing. OK, they're good at two things but the one that isn't covering up rapes is getting signs in front of cameras

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's pretty funny they have their Stand Up To Racism signs while kneeling

Continuity RCP posted:

They're good at one thing. OK, they're good at two things but the one that isn't covering up rapes is getting signs in front of cameras

It's pretty good that the only thing that unites the left from social democrats to tankies to anarchists is a contempt for Trots and their weird cultlike parties that seem to exist mainly to cover up sexual assault by their higher ups.

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Jul 14, 2021

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1415042348007006215?s=19

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I know there's the idea that footballers are overpaid drama queens but man they're the only good characters in the whole story so far

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I don't follow international football very much at all, but I was watching the Eurocup final and one of the US commentators said something about how the penalty kickers are chosen, "Not necessarily by how well they will take the shots, but how well they will bear the burden if they fail."

That nearly floored me, firstly because it rings of being untrue, but secondly because grace under pressure is supposed to be one of the defining characteristics of an athlete. If you don't have your best players taking the PKs, what the hell kind of coach are you? Very weird interpretation of reality, or else I don't understand how little the tournament matters that you would conceivably put up players that you thought could stand to have their feelings hurt instead of those that grant your country the best chance to win. I'll chalk it up to nonsensical commentator ramblings but I was taken aback by the very idea of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone got bored and did some detective work lol

https://twitter.com/breadandposes/status/1415183824653258752?s=19
https://twitter.com/breadandposes/status/1415183840042172417?s=19
https://twitter.com/breadandposes/status/1415183881930780677?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1415037196738994176?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tote up a bags posted:

I know there's the idea that footballers are overpaid drama queens but man they're the only good characters in the whole story so far

You say that like literally anyone else in this story isn't an overpaid drama queen

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the day it all comes tumbling down on Keith is going to be amazing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/slondonuk/status/1415104307154849794

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

palindrome posted:

I don't follow international football very much at all, but I was watching the Eurocup final and one of the US commentators said something about how the penalty kickers are chosen, "Not necessarily by how well they will take the shots, but how well they will bear the burden if they fail."

That nearly floored me, firstly because it rings of being untrue, but secondly because grace under pressure is supposed to be one of the defining characteristics of an athlete. If you don't have your best players taking the PKs, what the hell kind of coach are you? Very weird interpretation of reality, or else I don't understand how little the tournament matters that you would conceivably put up players that you thought could stand to have their feelings hurt instead of those that grant your country the best chance to win. I'll chalk it up to nonsensical commentator ramblings but I was taken aback by the very idea of it.

It's probably not the only consideration, but considering England's history of heroic penalty shootout humiliations (and the vile British press) it would almost certainly be part of choosing who you get spending time training penalties.

The equation is "who can take penalties good" + "who is willing to take a penalty" + "who can handle the intense pressure of the moment & all the poo poo that comes if you miss"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I for one am shocked the Tories hosed off an industry that is worth gently caress all to the UK

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1415248684921597960?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fishing and farming were the two most blatant industries to get hosed over by brexit.

The media and politicians gaslighted them all and are now circling back to the crime scene like serial killers to ask them why they voted for itt then???

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Fishing and farming were the two most blatant industries to get hosed over by brexit.

The media and politicians gaslighted them all and are now circling back to the crime scene like serial killers to ask them why they voted for itt then???

I'd have some sympathy if it hadn't always been incredibly obvious they would get hosed

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

I'd have some sympathy if it hadn't always been incredibly obvious they would get hosed

I can't blame people too much for buying into the narrative theyr totally immersed into every day of their lives.
The passive power of the media is too strong, let alone the active power when they decide to kill the left

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The clearest example of this is the sun's "what brexit will mean for your holidays" article the day after the vote which had a lot of comments saying "wish I'd known this yesterday"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarshadeCordova/status/1415247949496569856?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

I for one am shocked the Tories hosed off an industry that is worth gently caress all to the UK

Pre-Brexit: You can sell your fish to anyone and everyone as there are no more EU rules!
Post-Brexit: Who knew there were rules?!?

Always remember, to the Tories a christmas nativity play was more important than your industry.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Always remember, to the Tories a christmas nativity play was more important than your industry.

lmao I remember that

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
just wait til the next whale gets into the thames. now we're out of the EU we'll be able to raid that bastard and have enough lamp oil to get through the winter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This shadow secretary loving sucks. She just tried to light up the jam man but came across like an rear end in a top hat and didn't answer his question.

Also when someone brought Boris being racist she just weakly deflected. It's infuriating to watch (also lol Patel didn't show up)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Quotey posted:

just wait til the next whale gets into the thames. now we're out of the EU we'll be able to raid that bastard and have enough lamp oil to get through the winter.

that happened in dundee and the way the local museum wrote about it you’d have thought the local whalers took down a kraken attacking a church

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Jose posted:

thats because the european research group has become a free for all of tory backbenchers vying for control of being the last mp to say something to johnson before he makes a decision

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
"common sense" is such a loving dogwhistle these days jesus christ

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
William wrag mega tory

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
European Research Group: The UK leaves the EU
Northern Research Group: The UK leaves the north

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

William Wragg looks exactly like you'd expect him to.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Doccykins posted:

thats because the european research group has become a free for all of tory backbenchers vying for control of being the last mp to say something to johnson before he makes a decision

I would love just one interview with the ‘no lockdown’ Tories to see what their suggestion is for when outbreaks hit that inevitable point where they become unignorable. This is usually when the hospitals overflow. We can read between the lines and realise that their plan was for people to get thrown into the ‘nightingale’ units and die. But that doesn’t stop society realising something is wrong when they can’t get into a hospital anymore. As things stand the health service setup does not allow a realistic way of just ignoring the problem.

I think the disappointing result will be that none of them have actually thought long term about any of this and that shouting ‘no lockdown’ has just become instinctive.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the disappointing result will be that none of them have actually thought long term about any of this and that shouting ‘no lockdown’ has just become instinctive.

Would you say it's become...reactive?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would love just one interview with the ‘no lockdown’ Tories to see what their suggestion is for when outbreaks hit that inevitable point where they become unignorable. This is usually when the hospitals overflow. We can read between the lines and realise that their plan was for people to get thrown into the ‘nightingale’ units and die. But that doesn’t stop society realising something is wrong when they can’t get into a hospital anymore. As things stand the health service setup does not allow a realistic way of just ignoring the problem.

Lol you think?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/14/sian-berry-quits-as-green-party-leader-in-dispute-over-trans-rights

quote:

Sian Berry, is to quit as leader of the Greens, citing conflict within the party over transgender rights and claiming it had been a “failure of leadership” on her part that the party was sending “mixed messages”.

Berry, who was the party’s candidate for mayor, had been co-leader with Jonathan Bartley, who announced he was stepping down earlier this month. She said she had been agonising over whether to stand in the forthcoming leadership byelection but said she felt divisions in the party were too great.

A vocal supporter of trans equality, Berry had said one of the first things she would do as mayor would be to set up a commission on the rights of trans Londoners. In her resignation letter on Wednesday, Berry said there had been significant disagreement with colleagues elected to the party’s frontbench team. However, she did not give further details.

She said the party’s democratic structure meant decisions could be made that leaders did not agree with and she felt it was irreconcilable with her own position.

“There is now an inconsistency between the sincere promise to fight for trans rights and inclusion in my work and the message sent by the party’s choice of frontbench representatives,” she said.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, its all terfs?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

hobbesmaster posted:

Wait, its all terfs?

always has been

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a mechanism by which this impacts them negatively, outside of catching the disease themselves?

oh , i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
From what I've seen the past few years it's basically terf island.