Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Halfway thru, frustrated that Loki isn't the villian but holy gently caress John Majors bringing it. I love this performance already.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress gently caress what the gently caress aaaaaaaaa :stare:

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Lum_ posted:

so, this means ‘he who remains’ was Kang, right?

Probably closer to Immortus, if you're looking for the direct comics analogue. But yes. The next iteration of Jonathan Majors is probably Kang.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Not sure who I feel about the episode. Until the alternative TVA I was pretty disappointed with the ending.

As it stands the show sides with He Who Remains, saying that it is necessary to restrict the timelines lest Kang come into being. In reality He Who Remains is just the one who won the multiversal war at the expense of the lives of every universe pruned. I would kinda love it if the Kang TVA isn't a new thing, just that millions of Kangs had the same idea and created a TVA from what they thought was the origin of all time. There's been a multiverse of sacred timelines all along and Kang failed to stop anything.

On the other hand Jonathan Majors was a delight and I'm really glad the final confrontation was philosophical rather than just a glowly CGI fight

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
drat that was a pretty good episode of a TV show. Really good. That one guy was just fuckin' great.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Over all I am happy with it. Majors knocked it out the park. The cheerful glee of He Who Remains was a great way to present it. The very stern style of the Conqueror should be good.

MCU post Loki finale Can Kang as a villain carry the MCU plot through at least ant-man 3? I am curious for what they will do but I just don't feel 10 years of time/universe fuckery movies will hold

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got major Matrix Reloaded Architect scene vibes from this and a bunch of people sitting around a desk listening to exposition isn't particularly interesting.

Also didn't think much of Jonathan Majors' quirky over-acting. Felt like he was laying on the kookiness a bit too thickly.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Incredible way to introduce the next big bad. God drat.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

If I have any criticism I think this episode felt longer than it needed to be - of course you want to build suspense, but a lot of what happens after the reveal felt like they were dragging it out for time??

Overall, really excited by this and interested in seeing where it goes, though. I think the beats of all of this were excellent, just suffering a bit from weird pacing. Jonathan loving Majors

edit: Do want to say that while I understand why people were hoping narratively for something more conclusive and tied to the rest of the season of the show, I am not familiar enough with Kang that I recognized this as his backstory - I noticed some things, and the obvious use of the word "conqueror", but I had some room for doubt until the final reveal of the statue. I went through the episode really satisfied that the bad guy wasn't Loki or a variant of someone we had seen, but just... one single regular-rear end dude who set this poo poo up and covered his tracks well, but is otherwise a mortal who can die to one machete through the chest like anyone else.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 14, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Can't praise enough the preview that this was a legit "benevolent" version of Kang that built this monstrosity, and we've got the less-so ones to look forward too. It's drat good foreshadowing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy loving poo poo that was good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah that final bit is either they caused a completely new timeline where the tva got taken over by kang or there are in fact multiple variants of the tva, which is a LOT more interesting to me than the He Who Remains reveal, as good as that was

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just realised that the timeline breaking into a new multiverse is leading right into What If where the Watcher will be showing us these variant timelines which is why it's coming out straight after Loki :golfclap:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Disappointment of this being a limited run is offset by the prospect of a second season. Yay more Owen Wilson and may he yet get his jet ski.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rarity posted:

I just realised that the timeline breaking into a new multiverse is leading right into What If where the Watcher will be showing us these variant timelines which is why it's coming out straight after Loki :golfclap:

I expected to see a Watcher floating out there as the timelines all split.

That was really good, and a great intro to Kang. Really looking forward to season 2!

Also, obviously I noticed the very Who-esque “Most people assume time is a straight line” at the beginning.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The World Inferno posted:

Disappointment of this being a limited run is offset by the prospect of a second season. Yay more Owen Wilson and may he yet get his jet ski.

Mobius should just get brought in the main Earth world when Loki finishes. He can get a desk job with New York Council and every time superheroes get in a fight he shows up to cheerfully tell them their breaking several city ordinances

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This episode seems to confirm the way I thought the TVA worked initially.

Multiple timelines are allowed to exist concurrently, with variants who may well be very different. The TVA only steps in to avert timelines leading to a particular outcome- Kangs time war in the 31st century. Which sucks for you if you do something that leads to it even if you have no idea what it was.

Also, the TVAs version of their formation is mostly true. The only thing really left out is that the person responsible for making them is also responsible for the war they’re trying to avert.

Necrothatcher posted:

I got major Matrix Reloaded Architect scene vibes from this and a bunch of people sitting around a desk listening to exposition isn't particularly interesting.

Also didn't think much of Jonathan Majors' quirky over-acting. Felt like he was laying on the kookiness a bit too thickly.

Yeah I had no idea what he was going for with most of his line reads. Unless he was meant to be annoying.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 14, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

massive spider posted:

Yeah I had no idea what he was going for with most of his line reads. Unless he was meant to be annoying.

Insanuty was my read. And a touch of manic- depressive boredom.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

massive spider posted:

As someone who kind of loved it, it's always nice to see a character enjoying what they're doing. Most of his initial dialogue is him cutting things up in a super playful manner that speaks to how un-seriously he's taking the discussions he's already aware of.

The closer he gets to the inflection moment, the more toned down he plays it, until there's a few moments of quiet reflection, and then after that, the cocky knowledge of the character fills him with umph to carry it on.

It's a really solid performance. Super on-the-nose, but like, at least for me the exaggerations worked wonders. Looking forward to seeing this actor deal with the 'variants' personalities.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 14, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tech startup CEO/talking head is what I got out of it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can kinda get the argument that as someone who already knows what he's going to say and what the answers will be, the baddie might just be bored and delivering his lines in a silly way.

I think I'd have preferred him being extremely flat when he knows everything that's going to happen and being less subdued when he can't.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 14, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dig the re-occuring theme of "stabbing the big bad doesn't mean you've won" MCU is sticking with. Endgame starts with them "winning" by be-heading the big-bad, only to deal with a past version of him. Seems similar situation here.

Ugh, love it.

Also calling it now, the two loki's need to sacrifice themselves for the worst iteration of him to eventually lose.

Been wrong before, but gently caress it, super foreshadowing.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 14, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Let's discuss the beginning of the episode and what exactly this means:

I'll start.

I have no idea.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I think I'd have preferred him being extremely flat when he knows everything that's going to happen and being less subdued when he can't.

I really enjoyed his weird and energetic delivery, it fits perfectly with him not knowing exactly what comes next after knowing everything for all time up to 5 minutes from now.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I feel like I need to watch it again to really decide how I feel about it.
Majors was great, it was pretty entertaining for mostly being exposition and as pointed out, the philosophical duel was more important than the knife fight, which was a plus. Still I can't help but feel the reveal came at the expense of the story of Loki, Sylvie and Mobius.

The shot of Sylvie sitting next to Loki listening to Kang but with a huge orange crack between them on the floor was perfect, though. I will say that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DaveKap posted:

those are probably clusters of universes, the way we have galaxies of stars. the audio of familiar MCU quotes, pulling out on one of those structures, and zooming out to silence, and then some unfamiliar-but-human dialogue shown with another structure

loki is very good, I liked it quite a lot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Firebert posted:

An alternate universe Kang has taken over the TVA and reset everything

The TVA is not in a universe, or at least is in a very limited pocket universe ("time runs differently in the TVA" we're told over and over). It's all fiction and rubbery science but I don't see how it could exist in a universe that it also modifies the timeline and history of. NB: not a metaphysicist or whatever

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok so the major threads that are unanswered are:

- what will Sylvie do now at the end of time that she has managed to kill the person who controlled her life
- is the tva that mobius/renslayer interacted in the same tva loki was sent to
- where did renslayer go
- is the mobius/hunter b15 tva (presumably if there are two different tvas) now full of self-aware variants who gives no poo poo about the timeline?
- was something meant to happen after hunter b15 showed the other hunters renslayer's non-variant identity?
- wwld (what will loki do)
- did he who remains actually finish his apple
- what kind of kang poo poo are we going to expect (hinges on whether season 2 happens pre- or post- dr strange 2 AND/OR ant man 3)
- where's the jetski

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mutata posted:

Mobius on a jet ski is my only criteria for a successful finale.

thoughts and prayers

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That final villain monologue/lore dump has me happy.

They get the character.

They really do.

Lum_ posted:

so, this means ‘he who remains’ was Kang, right?

Actually no! Same biology, but a million lifetimes of experiences has him as a different person. He really was He Who Remains, although the closest comic analogue is Immortus. I cannot stress enough that Immortus and Kang are not the same person, even if they share the same birth.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 14, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What boggles my mind is that he's just such a big, crazy concept. Bigger than a mad god who can erase reality with a snap of his fingers, crazier than a raccoon with a talking tree for a sidekick. I really do hope they lean all the way into how crazy they can go with this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Does someone who may or be but actually is Kang actually reincarnate or was that just a figure of speech?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Loki has not been dumped in an alternate universe TVA. There is no alternate universe TVA. The TVA exists outside of the multiverse because of how it functions. Loki has been dumped into a TVA that has been retroactively taken over by the Conqueror variant that was mentioned earlier in the episode.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok so the major threads that are unanswered are:

- was something meant to happen after hunter b15 showed the other hunters renslayer's non-variant identity?

That led to them joining the revolt/revolution and it's why no-one responded when Renslayer tried to call them to deal with Mobius.

Firebert posted:

I feel like that was a terrific introduction for Kang but a terrible finale for a Loki show

This was my feeling too. I'm reasonably excited what this could mean for the future of MCU. I mean, multiversal shenanigans and maybe some kind of eventual merging is pretty much the only way they could fold mutants into the mainline universe at this point.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really, really enjoyed that and count me as one of the people who I assumed jumped on the "once I isolated my universe" line to mean that there are multiple "sacred" timelines and the redlines were just a marker of warning that they were getting close to touching another one again. Which would also be why we see the other TVA where they've been ordered to stop pruning timelines, because now that one sacred timeline has touched another all bets are off and the Kang in that reality (and a bunch of others in others) are ready to go to war all thinking they will be the one to control EVERYTHING.

Maybe that won't be the case and:

X-O posted:

Loki has not been dumped in an alternate universe TVA. There is no alternate universe TVA. The TVA exists outside of the multiverse because of how it functions. Loki has been dumped into a TVA that has been retroactively taken over by the Conqueror variant that was mentioned earlier in the episode.

and that'll be fine too, I just really dig the other idea for poo poo getting crazy and going full psychedelic 1970s Marvel.

A.o.D. posted:

I really do hope they lean all the way into how crazy they can go with this.

:hfive:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

DiscoJ posted:

That led to them joining the revolt/revolution and it's why no-one responded when Renslayer tried to call them to deal with Mobius.

What revolt? :smugkang:

I liked this option, because if it had been A Loki, then Our Loki would have looked stupid for believing him. Neither Loki nor Sylvie had any idea what kind of being He Who Remains was, so they only had their own baggage walking into that conversation.

Jonathan Majors was great :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This never would have happened if Tony Stark had made a Hulk size elevator.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
As someone who has no idea who Kang this episode was boring and frankly crap. Friends I was watching it with kept saying "get to the point" with that needlessly long and boring exposition. I could not agree with them more.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Does someone who may or be but actually is Kang actually reincarnate or was that just a figure of speech?

i just assumed it meant that since he's currently outside of time and controlling all timelines, when that stops happening, countless versions of his original self get born in the 31st century again and all this is bound to happen once more

not literal reincarnation so much as he removed every version of himself that should exist, and that will all happen as it once did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DaveKap posted:

I'll start.

I have no idea.

This is where the pee is stored.